Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-01-08-WCW-Thunder] Bret Hart and Ric Flair

Loss

• 1 month later...

Bret comes out for a promo with Tenay and states his promo again about how he came up with The best there is saying and the fans truly believe that. Bret is starting to get a smattering of boos in this feud. This leads to Flair coming out and damn if Flair doesn't give another great promo talking about wrestling Brody in singapore and in St. Louis while Bret was peddling away in Canada. This feud of one upmanship has been superbly done so far even if I don't know if it should have been Bret's first feud in WCW. I am really looking forward to their match at Souled Out.

Another great segment building to Bret's first WCW match. I enjoyed how Bret basically said he has thought about what happened Monday over the past few days and was basically willing to let cooler heads prevail. It was a very natural reaction, rather than the usual wrestling standard of one small perceived slight immediately setting off a big war. At the same time, Bret is a proud guy and he is not going to shy away from calling himself "the best there is . . ." since he and his fans truly believe that. That draws out Flair is getting more annoyed with Bret's presence every second. They still do not come to blows, which once again is totally refreshing. They have issues with one another but not enough yet to even think about getting physical.

Bret points out that he respects Flair, but he's not going to just stop calling himself the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be. This brings Flair out, and I like how they use taking the jackets off to build intrigue in these segments. Flair wants him to say it once again, so Bret obliges him. Flair calls it the damndest thing he has ever heard. Flair points out that he has wrestled in Singapore, Tokyo and St. Louis against the greats, and he resents what Bret is saying. This was another good segment, but again, I wish this had been something Bret did after beating either Hall or Nash out of the gate.

• 1 year later...

Sort of a repeat of the Nitro segment, with the most compelling figure in wrestling in 1997 once again being a crashing bore and Flair rescuing the segment as only Flair can. I mentioned that 1998 audiences were all about catchphrases instead of promos and that's all Bret is really offering.

• 1 month later...

A slightly less entertaining version of the tremendous Nitro face-to-face. Bret really is outclassed here on the mic and it kind of shows in his face as he walks alway that he knows it. Flair is more alive than he has been in a long while.

RATING: An example of Flair 'Staying the man.'

• GSR changed the title to [1998-01-08-WCW-Thunder] Bret Hart and Ric Flair