Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-13-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin and Vince McMahon

Loss

• 2 months later...

Austin wants Vince to come out right now. He demands to know his opponent at the next PPV, but Vince says he hasn't made up his mind yet. Austin does a promo on Vince that ended up as the source of soundbytes for months and months. Austin finally gets around to challenging Vince to a match later in the show. Vince is great in this. Austin also points out that if Vince thinks he's going anywhere, he's wrong. His limo driver has been beat up and he has four flat tires. Vince has 30 minutes to give Austin an answer. So great.

Later in the show, Patterson and Brisco try to talk Vince into accepting the challenge. Shane (this early?) tries to talk him out of it.

Finally, Vince is back out and reluctantly agrees to the match, because a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Jim Ross ends up saying he's going to do what he can to ensure that this match does not happen and leaves the broadcast booth. Later, we see that he went to try to convince Vince not to take the match. Vince tells him to go do his job.

Next, Austin does a promo saying he's not surprised Vince took the challenge.

Gerald Brisco tries to teach Vince some takedowns and it's hilarious.

Kevin Kelly interviews Vince later to ask if he's afraid. Vince points out that he proved he wasn't afraid of the United States government. He's not afraid of Ted Turner and Time Warner. He's not afraid of the big bad wolf. And he's definitely not afraid of Steve Austin.

Vince comes out doing a power walk and Shane tries to talk him out of it at the last minute to no avail. Vince starts shadow boxing in the ring.

When the match starts, Vince slaps Austin and before the match starts, Vince reminds Austin that he said earlier he could beat him with one arm tied behind his back, so he wants Austin tied up. There are so many great things in the stalling to get the match started that I can't possibly describe them all.

Finally, Dude Love shows up and everyone is confused. Dude Love is talking trash to Vince and Vince shoves him down. Dude goes to apply the mandible claw to Vince and turns the table on Austin and beats him up as the show goes off the air.

This is all absolutely GLORIOUS. I'm so glad they reversed their fortunes with this show because it was absolutely glorious.

• 2 weeks later...

Austin calls out Vince immediately and wants answers or he will hold up the whole show. Austin promises not to knock Vince's lights out if he obliges. Vince comes out with the riot gear. Austin wants to know who he is fighting at the next PPV and Vince hasn't made up his mind yet. Brisco and Patterson are starting to loom more prominently in the background. Austin gets Vince to basically admit that he is withholding the information of his next opponent. Austin does a great promo talking about Vince not being able to stand the fact about all this stuff on his image. Austin is giving Vince a chance to win the WWF championship match tonight. The crowd pops huge for that. Austin uses Vince's easy way or hard way verbiage against him. He slips up and says the one hand tied behind his back. Vince is showing more swagger asking Austin what the hard way is. Austin is giving Vince 30 minutes and beat up the limo driver and slashed the tires as an insurance policy. Great stuff all around.

We are backstage with the deliberation of Vince with Patterson/Brisco and Shane in one of his first appearances as an on air talent. Pat has a lot of confidence in Vince.

Vince struts down with an answer for Austin interrupting a jobber match. Vince talks about the heritage of the WWF and runs down the lineage. The WWF has always been about honor and integrity. These are qualities solely lacking in Austin. Vince knows his decision wont sit well with his dad and grandfather but sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Vince will fight Austin in this ring tonight. Vince's oh hell yeah is great here. Patterson and Brisco congratulating him to the back is amazing.

JR and Cole to a good job of conveying the seriousness of the situation with JR walking off to ensure this match doesn't happen.

Kevin Kelly sends us to a piece of tapes with JR arguing with the McMahon inner circle. Vince demands Shane to go get his bag. JR says he is making the wrong decision. Vince yells at JR to go out and do his job.

JR interviews Austin. Austin isn't surprised at all because he was getting an ass beating either way. Austin says it is going to be settled here tonight.

Patterson and Brisco teach Vince some wrestling holds to use in a great moment and are pumping him up.

Kevin Kelly interviews Vince who admits he has butterflies in his stomach. Vince wasn't afraid of the US govt, Ted Turner, or Time Warner. He sure as hell isn't afraid of Austin.

This was build up brilliantly.

• 1 year later...

Awesome opening show promo! Austin wants to know his challenger and then realizes who Vince really wants is himself! Stone Cold challenges Vince! You got nowhere to go. I beat up your limo driver and your limo has four flat tires. Patterson & Brisco pumping Vince up to take on Austin's challenge because he has made a fool of you is great. I liked the play off the hard way and easy way from the episode two weeks ago.

Vince's promo accepting Austin's challenge is one of the best of all time. Perfect tone and delivery. Vince preaching tradition, honor and integrity. Oh Hell Yeah! Brisco & Patterson applauding it while JR leaves the booth to ensure it does not happen. Great build.

Austin is happy to oblige McMahon and whoop his ass. Brisco & Patterson teaching McMahon how to counter the kick to the gut may be the greatest thing ever!

McMahon is in pretty good shape coming to the ring. I am pretty pumped for this "match". :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was so geared up for this episode that I skipped ahead and watched it on the Network a few weeks ago, then talked about it some more in the Best TV Episodes thread, so I don't have much to add. At least until the ending, it's about an hour and 57 minutes of utterly brilliant television and the aesthetically perfect way for the WWF to break the ratings streak.

• 1 month later...

Amazing stuff from Vince and Austin, actually everyone involved. Austin is amazing so far this year. I don't remember Shane being on TV this earlier either. The first time I saw him as an on-air personality, or remember seeing him, was as the co-host of Sunday Night Heat as an obnoxious gen-x er.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-04-13-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin and Vince McMahon