Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-05-04-WWF-Raw] Terry Funk vs Mick Foley (Falls Count Anywhere)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Austin does commentary and is fantastic in getting everything over - putting both guys over while also keeping himself over. This was a really wild TV main event that was chaotic and lots of fun. They brawled everywhere when that was still novel. Patterson ends up eating an accidental mandible claw and an on-purpose stunner post-match. Vince comes out to gloat about Dude's win after the match and does some OUT OF THIS WORLD dancing! Austin is doing his best not to laugh and I can understand him having trouble. Vince is absolutely incredible here. I think his post-match dancing is my single favorite moment of the year.

Did you know?... 1998 Disc 10 is the only one of the 300 Yearbook volumes to feature 100% US content.

Before Vince came out and started dancing I didn't think anything was going to top Stone Cold's apology for his language. The match was a good one too. It was a luxury being given full length on 1998 Raw. Two old foes beat the hell out of each other all over the arena. Some seriously meaty chair shots were exchanged. They always kept things moving as well as being satisfyingly hardcore. There wasn't much drama near the finish as Foley went over convincingly. Then McMahon and the dudettes join the party.

Terrific end to a terrific episode of Raw. Hatred of stunt brawls has been a major theme of the '90s review for me. But in this case, Foley really got across that he was willing to kill his buddy to get back in Vince's good graces. Funk, for his part, delivered exhibit 6022 of why he was a crazy bastard. Austin was excellent on commentary, both putting over the match and adding heat to his growing feud with Foley. I love, love, loved that even he couldn't suppress a grin at Vince and Mick dancing with the strippers. Just an awesome blend of character, intensity and comedy that WCW couldn't have hoped to match. Even if the Attitude Era went to hell eventually, it deserves to be remembered warmly for this beginning period.

First off, ditto what everyone said about Austin on commentary. Second, this match shows to me how lacking the NAO still are in the ring as this has the intensity, violence, and plotting that the dumpster match should have had at Mania. The spots all looked good and the pace was well done as the sprawled across the building in a logical way leading them back to the ring for the conclusion. Speaking of the conclusion, the use of Patterson was great again with him getting the mandible claw and Vince doing some of the best dance moves I have ever seen and making Mick his man vs. Austin. Wonderful way to close out Raw. (***1/2)

• 1 year later...

Mick Foley vs Terry Funk - WWF RAW 5/04/98

Stone Cold apologizing for his language because it is usually a lot worse was hilarious. Austin was great on commentary dropping Jerry Lawler like a bad habit and cussing like a madman. I had fonder memories of this match. I did not really care for it. The crux of the match was Foley proving himself to McMahon and that he had finally snapped and was willing to beat the holy hell out of his best friend. It felt like an extended squash with plenty of arena brawler. There were some memorable spots. Like Funk bashing Foley's head so hard unprotected that he was bleeding from top of the head. Then not much happened. Arena brawling ensued. Suplexing the hot dog guy was more cute than anything else. Funk got his one big spot the moonsault (sidesault) from the loge to Foley. Funk's selling of a stinger was great, Foley piledrove through table and then beat the living shit out of Funk. After multiple piledrivers in the ring including one on a chair wins him the match. It was great for its purpose of putting Foley over, but there was not much here to make this the great match I remember. Post-match McMahon comes out with Dudettes and the dancing that ensues is fucking amazing! Great segment, good match. ***1/2

• 3 weeks later...

Austin is so far ahead of everyone else in wrestling at this point that his commentary, good as it is, tends to overshadow even a crazy war like this one. His headset going out right as he was about to talk about the alleged Foley-McMahon conspiracy was a great touch. Funk goes all-out trying to get Mick over, doing a moonsault off the balcony and taking and giving some hellacious weapons shots. This is good work with some fantastic booking, as Foley establishes himself as both a sellout and a bloodthirsty savage willing to cripple anyone to get what he wants, and we even continue the slow build to the Stooges become full-fledged on-air characters, first with Brisco last week and now Patterson this week. And of course, that ending--maybe the best closing image in the history of Raw. This could end up being the most enjoyable WWF TV match of 1998.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-05-04-WWF-Raw] Terry Funk vs Mick Foley (Falls Count Anywhere)