Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-05-18-WWF-Raw] Interview: Vince McMahon & Dude Love

Loss

• 2 months later...

Vince says there are rumors that Austin has a concussion from his clothesline last week, which Jim Ross disputes at the announce booth. He has made the decision to bar Austin from the building tonight. They show footage of Austin's arrival earlier in the evening where he was denied entry into the building. Austin told the security guy he had five minutes to change his mind or he would come back and beat his ass.

Meanwhile, Vince introduces Dude Love and I have to give Foley credit for doing such a drastically different promo than he would normally do. He seems to be channeling Bob Backlund and I'm reminded that Vince would have loved him in that role. Then, Vince has words for Dustin Runnels for sticking his nose in everything last week. Vince is outstanding once again and ends up making a Dude Love vs Dustin Runnels main event for RAW, where if Dustin loses, he has to wrestle for 30 days without pay. I really like that as a stip. Man, the WWF is great!

• 2 weeks later...

Another great table setting promo by Vince and Co for the rest of the night. Dude's promo was really good but just watch Vince's emotions as he goes through the chain of events that will happen at Over the Edge. Tremendous character work. Dustin not being forgotten is smart to and I do wish to see the match vs. Dude as they have built Dustin up well the past couple of weeks.

• 1 year later...

Great stuff from McMahon claiming he gave Austin a concussion and thus he wouldn't be allowed in the arena is a double whammy of heel awesomeness! Corporate Dude Love is fun. I'm loving the mini feud between Dude and Dustin. Such smart booking that uses continuity! This should be the bare minimum, but almost never get it. I ducking love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Another winning segment--WCW has a "when you have two quarterbacks, you really have none" problem with regard to its bloated roster and incessant political games. Everything gets muddled, every main eventer wants face time with their own idea of how to be booked, and nothing has focus. The WWF has a depleted roster and the guys they do have are working hurt, but that means everyone can be given something important to do, and the performers they have are making the most of their opportunity. The only quibble with this segment and episode of TV is the work-for-free stip for Dustin doesn't really get as much play as it should--he'd be starting the born-again stuff in a matter of weeks, IIRC.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-05-18-WWF-Raw] Interview: Vince McMahon & Dude Love