Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-07-06-WCW-Nitro] Goldberg vs Scott Hall

Loss

• 2 months later...

Hall is looking rough. Goldberg gets a phenomenal entrance. Incredible heat for this, but it's not good at all. It looks like Hall is out to make him look bad, but they're lucky Goldberg is bulletproof at this point. I understand Hall is the biggest name he has taken on so far, but I think this was dragged out too long. Good stuff when Hall calls for the NWO to come out and Page and Malone get them from behind with chairs.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand the stack the deck prinicple but I never liked this warm up match for Goldberg. Still, I got chills listen to this crowd including myself going ape for Goldberg. Hall was terrible tonight and looked so uncool staggering down the ring. The moment of Page and Karl with the chairs was fun and a good instance of one upping the NWO. Hogan is next. (*)

• 1 year later...

Hall looks sloshed, no question. He does his double-point maneuver toward the ring even though there's no one in it. Another moment that's rather cool on its surface, despite being a bad match, but also speaks to WCW's lack of a plan. Again, just imagine Goldberg plowing through NWO guys, one by one, starting from that Thunder months ago when he finally came to WCW's aid. Drag it out until Hogan is forced, against his will, to put the title up against him. Goldberg passed by 100-0 like it barely mattered--you could have gotten Goldberg to 99 and then set up Goldberg vs. Hall on PPV as a main event-level attraction in its own right. So, so many missed opportunities for the sake of spiking one big TV rating and live gate.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-07-06-WCW-Nitro] Goldberg vs Scott Hall