Pro Wrestling Only

Cheaters in Japanese Wrestling

Loss

I've always had a soft spot for Norio Honaga and I have really loved some of the late 90s Yoshinari Ogawa performances I've seen recently. In both cases, you had guys working as American style heels and sneaking in eye pokes and low blows in a style where that doesn't happen very often. I haven't seen the match for myself but I know people made similar comments about The Cobra vs Don Arakawa on the New Japan 80s set. I've also always popped for Chono sneaking in the low blow behind the referee's back.

Anyway, I wanted to see if I could get some recommendations for the best cheating performances in Japan. I'm not thinking modern New Japan as much even though I know there's plenty of it now (too much, which makes it seem less special), and I'm not referring to outside interference as much as I am eye poking, low blows, using ropes for leverage, positioning the referee in an advantageous way, etc.

What do I need to see?

Genichiro Tenryu and his love for throwing water bottles, tables and chairs at his opponents in majestic displays of disrespect! Not really cheating, it's more Tenryu being a miserable angry bastard.

Can't really do this without mentioning The Great Muta, particularly in the early to mid 1990's. I like his match with Liger, the one where Liger first unveield the Kishin Liger character and basically turned Muta's cheating ways against him.

Ogawa vs. Akiyama 9/11/98 is a great Ogawa performance. He's doing everything he can to keep Akiyama neutralized and work towards a huge upset. He also has a great match against Takayama in 2004. The 9/11/98 match is on Dtitch's AJPW chronological site. The Takayama is in best of 2000s project.

If you decide to look up that Takayama match above, look into the Kanemoto vs. AKIRA match on 3/23/03. It's dickweed Koji vs. cheating bastard AKIRA in a legwork duel to the tapout. The sense of animosity between the two of them makes for good fun. A couple of the NJPW vs. NOAH tags with Liger have cool sequences built around Kanemaru's mule kick to the groin. And a shit ton of heat. Same goes for the 2000 Kanemoto/Tanaka vs. Ohtani/Takaiwa. Early offense for Ohtani and Takaiwa is basically corner heel stuff. Ikeda vs. Ishikawa from 2005 has a great heelish Ikeda performance. And if you've watched any Battlarts, you know Ishikawa isn't letting that fly.

There's a few matches where Omori shines on that AJPW chronological listing as well. The tag where Kobashi is extremely pissed at NO FEAR has this great Kobashi slow burn on Omori and Takayama. If you're really in the mood for cheating, check out the Omori vs. Akiyama match that goes like 30 seconds. The match where Kawada "leaves an impression" on Misawa is all kinds of awesome for the heel stuff there. And the incredible payback.

If you can find good Jado/Gedo tags, those dudes love to cheat something fierce. So much so that I've seen matches where it just degrades into them doing heel cheating over and over again until you wish they'd stop.

The 1995 Flair vs. Chono match from the G1 has a really great story of Flair trying to come in and win clean, but having to go tit for tat with Chono's heel tactics. It's not the greatest match ever, but the way it plays out is pretty fun.

I know there's stuff I'm missing, but a lot of the above are the more enjoyable things I've watched recently.

The ultimate Ogawa performance is the GHC title match against Kobashi. Ogawa is a dick and Kobashi gets revenge leading to Ogawa blading which due to it's rarity feels like a huge deal.

To add to the Tenryu mention, he is excellent at sneaking in punches in traditionally clean strike exchanges. It gets awesome heel heat in most of his NJPW appearances.