Pro Wrestling Only

Steve Grey

Grimmas

There's no doubt that Breaks captivated audiences more than Grey. Breaks was pretty special in the 30+ year history of wrestling on ITV. His TV appearance record is testament to that, and he essentially rivals McManus when it comes to presence, but when you think of what Grey accomplished as just a kid from Peckham, London, it's almost more impressive in a way. The Grey who debuted in the early 70s could have been like any number of debutantes who fade away as their pushes dwindle, but Grey became a mainstay as a face, which to me is a huge indicator of skill.

• 3 weeks later...

My feeling is that Grey is like a WoS version of a Rick Martel or Ricky Steamboat. Tremendous seller and bumper, great at generating sympathy, natural and likeable babyface who creates strong comeback narratives in his matches, and has good fire when he needs to show it. Like the very best babyfaces, he can work very effectively from underneath.

Been thinking more about Grey and I think he might warrant some comparison to the great Jack Brisco too.

Brisco's calling card was as a "defensive champion", in practice that means he spends 85%+ of his matches selling, but then gets in moves on a quick counter. And Grey probably is closer to that than to Martel or Steamer -- I mean both actually take quite a lot of their matches if you watch them, especially in Japan with the endless armwork. Grey has more of that amateur-style sudden explosiveness a la Brisco. So from 20 minutes, his time on offense might be less than 30 seconds, but they are 30 seconds that feel like they have real impact.

The fact I feel Grey warrants comparison to any of these guys is some pretty high praise. Truly great working babyfaces are actually pretty rare.

I don't have much to add about Grey except that he is an excellent worker and will surely make my list, which is remarkable since he works the type of character I'm not really predisposed to liking. But his skill is absolutely undeniable.

• 5 years later...

I've watched some of the recommended Steve Grey this week and he is a great, well-rounded babyface. Great limb selling, great selling when he is victimized by cheating, fired-up comebacks with memorable payback spots, sprinkles in some comedy, and he comes across as a good guy. He seems equally adept in technical match-ups as he is against dastardly heels. I'm looking forward to watching more and expecting him to do quite well.

Grey might be my favourite WOS guy, and have a strong chance of making my list. It's just a matter of where.  I've seen some of his most famous matches (Myers, Saint) and some others with guys like Breaks and Cortez, loved all of them, but I still need to watch a lot more of WOS as a whole, so any recommendations are welcome.

• 1 year later...

In the stock/rising falling thread I mentioned how I don't know if there's anyone who I've circled back to more times while watching other candidates than Akiyama or Masami, well at this point Grey is on that short list as well. Which is nothing shocking to add as many have already pointed out how he's had so many wrestler's best matches. He's just so damn good, so consistent, with great variety even in similar settings and playing similar roles. I'm left asking myself questions like did he work outside of Britain (cagematch says no)? Just how long is his peak? How much quality post-prime output is there? Because man he is one of the leading "how high is too high?" candidates for me a year in.

I have been known to gush over Steve Grey  on occasion. As far as I'm concerned, he is a great worker from the time he emerges on television in the mid-70s up until the end of wrestling on ITV. I'm not sure how much handheld work of his exists after that point, and I never got around to watching the matches he had later on in the 00s. There are at least 10 years of Steve Grey on tape being just about the best pro-wrestler imaginable. He obviously never worked heel, but he was one of the all-time great babyfaces, one of the great television match workers, and one of the great title match workers, and those three things go a long way in my book.