Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Eye Podcast - Episode #6 Talking Powerslam Magazine with Rob Butcher, John Lister and Greg Lambert

cheapshot

Welcome to episode 6 after a long hiatus of Wrestling Eye Podcast! I am kindly joined today by former Powerslam Magazine writers Rob Butcher, John Lister and Greg Lambert

Download:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/wrestlingeye/Episode_6.mp3

Direct link: http://wrestlingeye.libsyn.com/

We are talking about the hugely influential Powerslam Magazine that was published in the UK and beyond each month from 1994 until 2004. We talk about its history, influence, the PS50 and end of year awards, each writers memories of writing for the magazine at different points in its history, what Fin Martin was like to work for and so much more! This is a great show and a real insight in to the workings of Powerslam magazine over the years.

Follow us on twitter @wrestlingeyepod

Subscribe to the Wrestling Eye Podcast:

iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/wrestling-eye-podcast/id793458725

Stitcher:

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/wrestling-eye-podcast

You can also find us on Blackberry Podcasts, Microsoft Podcasts and our website http://wrestingeye.libsyn.com

Fantastic! Thank you for putting that together Alan.

Powerslam was my bible from from 94 to 99. It opened up a whole new world of wrestling for me. I couldn't wait until the last Thursday in each month when my copy arrived in the post (in a plain brown envelope) and remember being fucking ecstatic when a new batch of tapes I ordered arrived. Rob must have got a few grand of me over the years.

Listening to the podcast. I'm surprised by how small the hardcore fanbase in the UK was during those years.I thought it was much bigger. My one regret is that I never really made an effort to properly integrate myself into it. I bought the mag and tapes, but it never occurred to me to try and contact anyone to meet up at shows or cons.

Regardless. That was a magical time period for me which Fin, Rob and John played a huge part of and I thank them dearly for it.

Fantastic! Thank you for putting that together Alan.

Powerslam was my bible from from 94 to 99. It opened up a whole new world of wrestling for me. I couldn't wait until the last Thursday in each month when my copy arrived in the post (in a plain brown envelope) and remember being fucking ecstatic when a new batch of tapes I ordered arrived. Rob must have got a few grand of me over the years.

Listening to the podcast. I'm surprised by how small the hardcore fanbase in the UK was during those years.I thought it was much bigger. My one regret is that I never really made an effort to properly integrate myself into it. I bought the mag and tapes, but it never occurred to me to try and contact anyone to meet up at shows or cons.

Regardless. That was a magical time period for me which Fin, Rob and John played a huge part of and I thank them dearly for it.

The same. Really enjoyed this, and a lovely little peak behind the curtain from 20 years ago. Loved getting Rob's updated tape trader sheets and planning my next 4 or 5 tapes based on his star ratings.

Really looking forward to giving this a listen. Rob is one of those guys who just seems to have disappeared from the scene despite probably many of us in the UK having purchased tapes from him in the the mid-90s. I'm sure I remember Lister telling a story how Rob purchased a house from his profits whilst being the leading tape trader/seller back in the day.

I'm sure I remember Lister telling a story how Rob purchased a house from his profits whilst being the leading tape trader/seller back in the day.

Wouldn't be shocked if he were able to secure a deposit considering the 90's housing market and borrowing rates ;)

I thought this was a fantastic podcast and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I know Fin was marketing Powerslam to the typical hardcore fan, but I always thought he ragged on John Cena way too much. It seemed like every issue was filled with shots of him as a worker and anything good he did was credited to his opponents.

It was interesting hearing Rob Butcher argue that PS got better after he was gone, when the peak of the magazine to me seemed to be the earlier years. There didn't seem to be much in the way of fresh ideas after a certain point in time.

Agree with you on that point Magnum. Knowing Rob personally I know he's extremely modest.

I didn't touch on the later years short comings; Cena hatred, negativity towards US wrestling because a. I stopped reading the magazine in the mid 00's and b. I didn't think I'd get an honest answer from Greg at the very least as I know he is still close with Fin and publicly wouldn't want to disagree with his views.

From a personal point of view it was great listening to Rob give his thoughts on the tape trading process. I was one of those kids phoning Rob at 'silly o'clock' wondering when a certain tape or match would be available and when that parcel arrived in the post it was like Christmas day every time!

Rob did use Meltzer's ratings on the match listings but it was a neat touch when he added his own ratings and comments next the majority of tapes listed from around '94 to '99.

Finally listening to this now and just up to where you are talking about Stately Wayne Manor and you mentioned a poem that was pretty amusing. I just remember one section from that to this day:

'In Asia wrestles Tony St. Clair,

Has this guy ever won a match over there,

By Hase, by Muto, by Dr Death,

He's even been beaten by the substitute ref!'

No idea why that is ingrained in my memory! Have to say that the SWM was the one part of the magazine that I always used to skip over each month. As another aside, I had the first 11 issues of SOW at one point then when clearing out my magazines ended up trading them with Glen Radford for a bunch of videos.

I found Glen's service to be pretty reliable once Rob moved on from trading....I think Rob sold his business to Global Wrestling Imports and they disappeared after only a couple of years.

Does anyone remember Five Star Wrestling Tapes? Pretty sure they only provided an online service around 2001. They didn't have a huge range but it was mostly all commercial tapes from All-Japan and New-Japan so the VQ quality was a huge step up.

No idea what became of GWI. I purchased one video from them after they took over Rob's business, wasn't happy with the quality so started using Glen and stuck with him until he called it quits. There was the added bonus with Glen that he would continue to sell you WWF and WCW videos 'under the table' so to speak! Interesting to hear on the podcast that Rob had an address list of around 1,000 names of people who'd purchase tapes from him, and doing the maths he probably made somewhere in the region of £1,500 on The Night The Line Was Crossed alone. He must've made an absolute packet back in the day!

Really enjoyed this by the way Allan, especially the contributions from Rob and John.

I found Glen's service to be pretty reliable once Rob moved on from trading....I think Rob sold his business to Global Wrestling Imports and they disappeared after only a couple of years.

Does anyone remember Five Star Wrestling Tapes? Pretty sure they only provided an online service around 2001. They didn't have a huge range but it was mostly all commercial tapes from All-Japan and New-Japan so the VQ quality was a huge step up.

Glen and Rob were both super reliable. Rob did sell his business to GWI who were at one point if memory serves based out of the Arndale Centre in Manchester selling tapes and merch.

I don't recall 5 star tapes, however in my latest episode myself and long time fan Mark Ren take a trip down memory lane and talk the tape trading and fanzine scene in the UK in the 90's which if you were around then is well worth a listen.

No idea what became of GWI. I purchased one video from them after they took over Rob's business, wasn't happy with the quality so started using Glen and stuck with him until he called it quits. There was the added bonus with Glen that he would continue to sell you WWF and WCW videos 'under the table' so to speak! Interesting to hear on the podcast that Rob had an address list of around 1,000 names of people who'd purchase tapes from him, and doing the maths he probably made somewhere in the region of £1,500 on The Night The Line Was Crossed alone. He must've made an absolute packet back in the day!

Really enjoyed this by the way Allan, especially the contributions from Rob and John.

Rob did indeed do well for himself out of it all, however he did have to be around every 4hrs to change tapes so he couldn't really stray far from his house!

Thanks for the comments MM, appreciate it!

I used to get my tapes off Glen Radford too.

So you experienced his extremely bad handwriting on tapes too then?

I'm kinda surprised in hindsight that I never had a parcel go missing from Glen, it must've been a nightmare for Royal Mail back then! The post it notes that he used to put on the videos to label them were often so illegible that I would have to put the video in to the machine to find out what it was.