Pro Wrestling Only

Rusev

goodhelmet

***-Rusev doesn't work the highspot style that wins over the WWE crowds. I would also argue that he is very overrated as a worker and that his strenghts (selling an injury) are dwelled upon too much and he still has yet to have a PPV match that would significally indulge me. But that's something for another thread.

GOTNW posted this in another thread so I thought I would start a microscope thread examining Rusev. For my money, he has been a breath of fresh air and I love, love, love the Sheamus title change. Anyway, here is the "another thread" so we can talk about this guy, warts and all.

I'm someone who wasn't high on Rusev at all when I first saw him on NXT earlier this year. He had good eye candy in Lana, but otherwise I didn't see any promise there. His offense looked weak for a big man, he had terrible timing, was never in a position to really sell/bump, and seemed to lack "it" in the ring. A number of months later and my tune on Rusev has changed. Somewhere along the way he got "it" and his entire game has started clicking. Really great at selling, bumps well when he needs to, has gotten much better on his timing which has helped his offense to look more devastating. He's gone from a guy I thought was awful to a guy who I think is really good and as long as he keeps improving is trending towards being great.

This may be just a matter of me misconcepting how high Rusev is rated but I've seen high praise for the Swagger/Henry/Big Show matches when I don't think any of them were any better than "above average" and not even all of them reached that level. I think he is a good seller and shows good timing at using, say, Axe Kicks as dramatic transitions but whenever his matches go for a little longer they turn into nothing-fests. I liked the Big E matches but I don't think they were as good as the Big E-Titus matches from Superstars. Haven't seen the Sheamus title match.

Are you not significantly indulged?

Maybe "engage" would've made for better wording. I'm fairly satisfied with my english but not being a native speaker I've grown accustomed to the occasional mistakes so sorry about that. I try to watch pro wrestling with as much focus to get the most enjoyment out of it and Rusev's matches often have me space out for long periods of time so I can't call those matches good. I think he shows great potential at some things but that has yet to translate into great work. It could-and I hope it does-but I don't see it right now.

For what it's worth the Sheamus match was great. It had a logical opening that was more reminiscing of Hashimoto vs Choshu (although obviusly they didn't reach that extent of quality) than generic wwe hoss 1 vs 2 , an amazing sense of struggle, fantastic offence and both guys changing up their stuff which made the match seem even more important. Sheamus had to earn the 10 clobbering blows with desperate headbutts and instead of just getting his stuff in via his usual formula he modified it by using not one but two kneelifts, then going back to the clobbering blows and using them in a position he usually doesn't and THEN getting the springboard shoulder block in. Those kinds of twist on the formula made this feel big. Also loved Sheamus' counter of the Camel Clutch-the simplicity in it was beautiful. The finish was what you'd expect out of a big Rusev match (opportunistic Axe Kicks as a dramatic transition before the finish) but I always enjoy it and so did I here. I'd say this was a better performance for Sheamus than Rusev but it was by no means a carry job.

To hear it from people here, Rusev vs. Sheamus was a MOTY contender. Come on now. It was okay for what it was, with a hot final stretch and a very satisfactory (for us) finish, just because Sheamus is so fucking stale now. I think Rusev is a perfectly adequate wrestler who has improved and become a fun part of the show. Considering how dull most of the WWE is now, that probably makes him seem better than he really is. He's not bad though, with good upside to grow - but let's see where he is in a year. My guess is he'll be a Cena victim at some point and hit his ceiling as an upper midcarder after that, sort of like a Umaga or Rikishi type. My hope is that they don't rush his push (like they were doing with Reigns), and he avoids Cena completely. The slow burn so far has been great. I'm just nervous that they'll find some way to fuck it up like they do most things.

Rusev has been the most interesting wrestler in WWE this year. Like Bill noted, he was nothing more than Lana's sidekick in NXT & when he first got called up, and it was obvious she was the star of the act, but now he's right there with her thanks to his rapid improvement.

The Big E series was great. GREAT. Perfect pacing, just two big guys mauling each other, with one going over clean and moving on. I loved the Big E/Titus matches on Superstars, but I disagree strongly with GOTNW, because the Rusev/Big E matches were on a completely different level of intensity & violence.

Loved the Swagger series, too. Again, hard fought, intense matches where the right guy went over. Perfect opponents style wise for each other.

I'm not as high on the Sheamus match as some people here, but it was very good. I liked the Big E & Swagger stuff a little better, especially the Big E matches.

Rusev's worst stuff has been against Reigns (who stinks), Big Show, & Henry. I knew the Henry matches would be shit, because that's a bad style matchup. Rusev excels vs other big hosses who are willing to work a hard pace, and give & take stiff offense. Henry is too methodical, and when things slow down, this is where Rusev is exposed a bit (see the Reigns matches). The Show matches simply didn't work.

Sky is the limit with this guy. The Reigns matches had no chance, since Reigns is extremely limited as a single to begin with and can't work the pace Rusev needs, and the Henry matches had no chance because again Henry has one speed (a very slow one), and really needs to be carried at this point and Rusev can't do that at this stage.

Rusev's worst stuff has been against Reigns (who stinks)

Which is why it will be great when Reigns beats him at Fast Lane as his "final test" before Lesnar at 31.

You're probably right, but at least it won't be Cena.

I'd argue that Reigns is an even worse choice. As bad as a loss to Cena would be, he at least has credibility.

Rusev's worst stuff has been against Reigns (who stinks)

Which is why it will be great when Reigns beats him at Fast Lane as his "final test" before Lesnar at 31.

You're probably right, but at least it won't be Cena.

I'd argue that Reigns is an even worse choice. As bad as a loss to Cena would be, he at least has credibility.

The entire idea behind protecting a monster heel like Rusev is to give someone credibility, no?

Cena doesn't need that win. Reigns is their chosen future stud, he does.

The entire idea behind protecting a monster heel like Rusev is to give someone credibility, no?

Cena doesn't need that win. Reigns is their chosen future stud, he does.

That's a great point. If Reigns is indeed chosen to end Rusev's streak, my dream scenario would be for Rusev to beat Cena and then fall to Reigns.

Did I just read someone potray an Umaga comparison as a negative? If Rusev could reach that level of credibility that would be incredible, unless people really see this guy as the number 1 heel in the company.

That was me. Umaga was awesome, but he lost to Cena and then he was back down the card once the feud was over...like an old school Hogan monster opponent.

Did I just read someone potray an Umaga comparison as a negative? If Rusev could reach that level of credibility that would be incredible, unless people really see this guy as the number 1 heel in the company.

That was me. Umaga was awesome, but he lost to Cena and then he was back down the card once the feud was over...like an old school Hogan monster opponent.

and the same sadly will happen to rusev once reigns beats him in February. Once Rusev is pinned he loses so much of his shine

I feel like Rusev read a pro wrestling for dummies book and just applied what he learned. Mix that with a good look, and you're gonna get a good worker.

You're big. Carry yourself as such. (Check)

You're russian. Yell random russian words or sentences because it's going to sound imposing. (Check)

Sell a body part because moves are supposed to hurt. (Check)

Specifically sell your foot because one of your finishers is a kick. (Check)

Your main finisher is a Submission. Don't stop applying the hold until well after the bell. (Check)

And guess what? It all works and leads to him being a good worker with entertaining matches. Of course, he's brings a little more to the table than basics.

• 5 months later...

I used the Network search feature to put a bunch of Superstars, Main Event & SD matches of a few guys I like on a watchlist and have been going through them over the past few days.

Besides the fact that Rusev was the best booked character in WWE up until WrestleMania, I think he might have also been the most consistent in the ring. Whether he is against Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger, Mark Henry, Ryback, Roman Reigns, it really doesn't matter the guy just delivers.

I think his best trait is that he can come off as both dominant and vulnerable and the two never really conflict with each other. He always seems to sell for his opponent even when they're lower than him on the pecking order but never too much. And having the submission finisher means that he always ends the match looking dominant no matter how much of a fight his opponent put up.

I guess MAYBE it's fair to say he brings little more to the table than basics but he's doing a better job of it than almost the entire roster. I think it also downplays that he's a pretty awesome athlete to be so agile and fast for a guy that thick and stocky.

I feel like Rusev read a pro wrestling for dummies book and just applied what he learned. Mix that with a good look, and you're gonna get a good worker.

On a tangent, I've read Pro Wrestling for Dummies (authored by a drunk Lou Albano) and it was so bad it made me stop liking wrestling for a fortnight. The only thing you'd learn from that book is that Dwayne Johnson's real name is Rocky Melvin.