Pro Wrestling Only

[crowd sourcing] Favourite ever promos

JerryvonKramer

Yeah, that came outta nowhere. He legitimately had people in the audience crying when they thought he was going to honor Olive Oil. NO ONE saw the turn coming because he was acting like Starcade 83 Flair being humble and whatnot. What was even crazier was during the match Steamboat knocked Flair outside right in front of Olive and as Flair was jawing with Steamboat and the ref Olive took a FULL swing with her cane at Flair that narrowly missed him. The police came to settle her down and then Sherri started barking at her. She and Sherri keep yapping and then Steamboat comes out of the ring and the heels back up talking trash. I thought we were gonna get a mixed tag! The crowd just went nuts for this and it all seemed to be improvised based off the cane swing.

I suspect we'll have no lack of "passion and pride" examples, so I'll do one with a different tilt.

Name of Worker: William Regal

Promotion: WWF, 4/29/02

Link:

Regal is just a perfect miserly and hatable comic heel here. His range of disgusted faces is unparalleled. With Hogan coming off of Mania and reverting back to the red and yellow, this promo helps move along a couple of things: firstly it reintroduces Hulkamania to anyone in the audience that could possibly be unaware of it. Secondly, it needles any Hogan skeptics by channeling their sentiments through Regal's pompous persona. Its a perfectly subtle invitation to just come along and enjoy the absurd fun of Hulkamania, earnestly or otherwise. Even if you're still a Hogan hater by the end of this promo, you can't help but laugh at yourself a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Name of worker: John Cena
Promotion (and year): WWE 2/27/2012
Link to promo:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxlSWOSINGk

Why you think it's great:

John Cena had been clamoring for a match with The Rock for years and they finally agreed to wrestle in Miami at Wrestlemania. The Rock comes out and does his stuff with the crowd and then John Cena comes out and totally DESTROYS The Rock on the mic. This was the equivalent of Kanye West turning serious and owning Rakim or something. The line that always got me was when Cena pointed out that The Rock had notes on his arm which looked like it LEGIT pissed off The Rock! The next week on RAW they showed clips of the promo but also showed old Rock promos and highlighted his arms to show that he had been doing this for years.

I remember the internet blowing up and a lot of the wrestlers backing Cena since he embarrased The Rock. It seemed like a lot of wrestlers had issues with The Rock coming in and getting the main event slot. I STILL don't understand all of the feud. Was this improvised? Did they have "points" to hit but made up the rest? Did The Rock GIVE Cena this much leeway or did Cena see an opening and TAKE from The Rock? I remember Wade Keller being flabergasted that The Rock looked this bad. Does anyone have any notes from the Observer or The Torch on this?

This is my Grassy Knoll......

Have a soft spot for this classic. Became iconic for all the wrong reasons, but still makes me smile, the sheer ridiculousness of it all. Love it when he starts rambling about Samoans being held down and meandering about former champions and the crowd are just bemused by the whole thing. His heel run went nowhere of course, which is a shame because he looked the part with the gowns and Hawaiian shirts, it did at least lead to another classic promo with The Rock ripping the fuck out of various opponents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf82jgYWJH8

In thinking about this thread I guess my favorite promos (as you can tell by the ones I posted) are the ones that you expect to be a typical heel/face promo but there is a big swerve that floors you and makes you quit dissecting and you just go along for the ride.

2 more examples would be the "Pipe Bomb" promo and the Hogan Bash at the Beach heel turn promo.

Oh yeah, Jake the Snake had a great promo at Teusday in Texas after the match with Randy Savage. After he slapped Elizabeth he tells Savage to bring her back to their next match. "Let me touch her again.....". SO creepy!!

• 3 weeks later...

There are some Cornette promos from Mid South regarding the RnR which are wonderful but I could not find links to online. I love Cornetes promo style - the mania of the man, the sheer volume of words, yet he still manages to make sense and hit all the key points and make me laugh.

Has to be said though, that 'Hard Times' is probably the best example of a wrestling promo there is...its perfect.

I would be more specific for these three suggestions if I could find links online for them.

There is a Bobby Heenan promo from early 87 that I can't seem to find anywhere. He just goes on a legendary tirade against Hogan and advocating for Andre the Giant. I heard it on one of the Wrestlemania Rewind shows that the Place to Be folks did for Wrestlemania 3. I don't know how there could still be anyone in Hogan's corner after that promo encapsulated everything that makes Hogan look bad in Heenan's POV.

In another direction entirely there is an awesome Briscoes promo recorded right after the ROH Man Up PPV (9/15/97). They are bloody and disgusting to look at but the intensity and emotion is enough to keep you on their side instead of having weeks of nightmares.

The Spike Dudley promo from ECW TV building up to Guilty as Charged 2000 falls into the same category too. He just goes insane in the catering area while swearing revenge on Mike Awesome for what he did to his girlfriend's teeth.

I still think a Top 100 interviews of all time project would be a great thing for this forum. It would be so much easier to digest than the polls we have done for matches recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUCFS2E0oL4

Name of Workers: Midnight Rockers (Shawn Michaels & Marty Janetty)

Promotion: CWA (Memphis)

Year: 1988

Why I think it's great: Well for starters, aside from the novelty of seeing them as heels, it's just a perfect example of one of the most basic, but successful character motivations in wrestling. They are arrogant pricks who think they can beat anybody. I also like the somewhat unique, almost talk show-like format of the interview, with a studio audience. Also, on a more personal note, I couldn't stop laughing at Michaels referring to Scott Hall as a "big spoon-headed guy".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lcb8RoxQPD0

Name of worker: William Regal

Promotion: WWE

Year: 2004

Why I think it's great: It's short and sweet, but Regal is on fire. He gives a backstory on his relationship with HHH and reminds us that he's a nasty villain himself, but he has a soft spot for Eugene. Hunter made a terrible mistake by attacking Eugene and now he's screwed because Regal's going to get his gear and fight him. He's glib, vulnerable, and then frothing at the mouth angry in under 2 minutes. Absolutely sublime, and the crowd ate it up. It's a shame that this wasn't it's own program instead of just build for HHH/Eugene.

Name of worker: Buddy Landel and the Dirty White Boy
Promotion (and year): SMW 92
Link to promo:

Why you think it's great: Cocaine. I uploaded this myself after seeing it on a random episode of Smokey Mountain. Insane (and clearly improvised) promo that is a perfect example of two unheralded greats at their best. Classic southern cocaine promo.

Name of worker: William Regal

Promotion: WWE

Year: 2004

Why I think it's great: It's short and sweet, but Regal is on fire. He gives a backstory on his relationship with HHH and reminds us that he's a nasty villain himself, but he has a soft spot for Eugene. Hunter made a terrible mistake by attacking Eugene and now he's screwed because Regal's going to get his gear and fight him. He's glib, vulnerable, and then frothing at the mouth angry in under 2 minutes. Absolutely sublime, and the crowd ate it up. It's a shame that this wasn't it's own program instead of just build for HHH/Eugene.

God damn, that's the fucking shit. Still gives me goosebumps.

• 2 months later...