Pro Wrestling Only

1985 Wrestler of the Year Contenders

goodhelmet

Going from 80s matches and nominations combined with memorable feuds combined with work in different territories (by no means a prerequisite), these are guys who have a good shot for Wrestler of the Year consideration in 1985 from the 80s project. Feel free to add names.

Butch Reed - Big Mid South run and matches with Flair & Murdoch and opening up the eyes that Reed was an elite wrestler
Chris Adams - Super tag work with the Dynamic Duo but also producing high volumes of quality singles matches.
Dick Murdoch - Big feuds and matches in mid South with Reed & Dibiase and high quality tag work in New Japan
Genichiro Tenryu - Feuding with Choshu and company
Jerry Lawler - Feuds with Savage, Dundee, and the Freebirds highlight another banner Lawler year including a MOTYC
Jumbo Tsuruta - Feuding with Choshu and company; Series with Mart
Kerry Von Erich - Feuding with the Dynamic Duo in singles and tags. Has nice run with One Man Gang.
Nick Bockwinkel - Feuding with Martel + tagging with Mr. Saito
Ric Flair - Working opponents all over the world including high end matches in Japan, Mid South, Texas, Crockett, AWA
Rick Martel - Feuding with Bock, defending title against various challengers
Ricky Morton - Excellent tag run in Mid South and Crockett with high level MOTYCs to boot
Riki Choshu - Feuding with Jumbo, Tenryu & company
Tatsumi Fujinami - Top worker in tags and singles for New Japan in 1985 as with most years that decade
Ted Dibiase - Super Feuds of the Decade level stuff with Duggan and Murdoch. Top matches with Reed, Bob Sweetan and Jake the Snake. Tag with Doc.
Tully Blanchard - Quality matches against several opponents plus super feud and MOTYC with Magnum TA

No, I just needed to separate the discussion from the AJ styles thread. I also think this is a useful tool in compiling WOTYCs in deciding rankings. IT also allows me to look at the wrestlers you proposed and see if I would put them in that mix. At first glance, Rey and Navarro feel right but I am not as high on Christian's TV run as you are especially when Regal is right there having those standout matches with him.

No, I just needed to separate the discussion from the AJ styles thread. I also think this is a useful tool in compiling WOTYCs in deciding rankings. IT also allows me to look at the wrestlers you proposed and see if I would put them in that mix. At first glance, Rey and Navarro feel right but I am not as high on Christian's TV run as you are especially when Regal is right there having those standout matches with him.

I think Christian's run that year is wildly underrated. He had very good to great series v. several people that year. Hell the Regal series may not have even been the best one (neck and neck with Swagger). I need to go back and rewatch that stuff but I'd rate Christian's 09 very highly.

That said I will try to stick to 85 stuff in this thread going forward. May be a good idea to do threads like this for other years.

WOTY. NWA Champion Ric Flair would be hard to nudge outta this spot. Wide variety of opponents who he's working great against. Just aces.

WOTY. Top Contenders in no particular order at this point.

Tenryu All-Japan.

Fujinami New Japan

Dibiase & Murdoch* Mid-South

Lawler Memphis

*I may be biased because he's one of my all timers but damn Murdoch was 40/40+ years old and working a couple handfuls of great matches in New-Japan to add to Mid-South matches.

Others. Not WOTY though.

Tully Blanchard had a great 85. If we were grading this on July/Aug 85 thru July/Aug 86 I don't know if there's anyone I woulda rather watched as an overall package than Blanchard.

Chris Adams and Kerry Von Erich are the brightest spots in World-Class. Kevin usually holds up his end in singles and I liked him in tags. Gino I never had any use for unless it was with Chris or Tully.

Bobby Eaton at the time was underated.

What did ya folks think of Fujiwara, Maeda, and Takada in 85? I haven't seen that stuff forever.

Chris Adams and Kerry Von Erich are the brightest spots in World-Class. Kevin usually holds up his end in singles and I liked him in tags. Gino I never had any use for unless it was with Chris or Tully.

Kerry was also wrestling Flair in MId South and had some great matches there. Plus, I think Kerry is the only von Erich even worth considering for this list and think he was great at wrestling a wide range of wrestlers in a variety of styles. Adams absolutely belongs as he was just hitting on all cylinders in 1985. Add that he was in a Tag Team and Feud of the Year contention and he may crack my Top 5 but it would be hard.

Bobby Eaton at the time was underated.

They were in Texas early on in the year in a down period for the team and didn't really pick up footage wise in Crockett until 1986 whereas the RNR had the footage in Mid South and Crockett to warrant putting Ricky on the list.

What did ya folks think of Fujiwara, Maeda, and Takada in 85? I haven't seen that stuff forever.

The UWF vs. NJ stuff doesn't really pick up until 1986 but fuck... I forgot to look through the Other Japan stuff.

All-Japan and New Japan in 85 aren't stellar years for singles matches. There's some pretty great tag matches. Shit in All-Japan Flair and Martel may be the best singles match, Either that or Tenryu and Choshu. Tenryu and Choshu had a match in early 85 I have on an old tape somewhere but it was UWF I think?

Come to think of it all the high end singles stuff in Japan in 85 was UWF stuff. Fujiwara has got to be a top tier WOTYC in 85. Super Tiger, Maeda, Takada, and Yamazaki are all in the mix. Time to dig up some tapes.

I agree with ya on Chris and Kerry goodhelmet as far as WOTYC. I remember that time well as I was 26yrs old and watchin a lot of that stuff.

In New-Japan the only thing I'm seeing on my tape list for 85 as far as singles matches is Murdoch and Inoki which I don't recall being anywhere near an all time great match.

I must thank you goodhelmet for starting this thread because it triggered something and now I'm going on a Japan viewing spree which I haven't done in a long time. I can put away the southern rasslin for a bit. Shit I saw it all in real time anyway. I'm lovin this place.

Duggan could easily be included but I don't think he has the second wave of stuff to put him in like the other Mid South guys do. Dibiase also has the Murdoch feud and tag stuff. Reed was taking on all challengers that year and really elevated himself as a super worker. Murdoch had the Dibiase and Reed feuds. Besides the Dibiase feud, what are Duggan's strengths that year that would put him in contention in your eyes?

My WWF pick would be Greg the Hammer Valentine starting the year just tearing it up with Tito, where he surpasses Tito is by having the badass Dream Team run in the last half of 1985, which includes a great, great tag title match with the US Express. Honestly, don't remember what Tito did in the last half of 85 so if that was bitchin too then I think he could be included. I think any WWF wrestler winning WOTY post-1983 would be a dark horse, but if there was any wrestler in any year it would be Greg Valentine in 1985. His only problem is that 1985 is fucking stacked.

How about Savage? Is there much beyond the Lawler feud and the fabulous Jerry Oski match?

Also, Jaguar Yokota (classic feud with La Galactica, vs Lioness, various tags) Chigusa (underrated epic with Lioness, 8/22 Devil match, legendary Dump hair vs hair match) and Dump Matsumoto (Chigusa feud, Devil match) are no brainers for me.