Pro Wrestling Only

Draft discussion, analysis and trash talk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I'll say about Bulldog Brower is that Greg Oliver puts him over huge in his book The Heels, and he appears on the front cover of that.

5122KMOoBbL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He was all about the facial expressions from what I've seen.

Steamboat and Youngblood got an enjoyable match out of him and Tor Kamata in early 1980 (*I think*), but Brower I think was never a great worker in terms of work, 100% character work guy.

One thing I've come to appreciate over the past couple of years is how Vince Sr was able to run his promotion, and "super territory", for so long with such shitty rosters. I think he probably made more extensive use of jobbers than any other promotion, and had his workforce above that of aging and mostly no-longer-any-good JTTS guys (Baron, Denucci, etc.) with Johnny Rodz, Jose Estrada and the Riverias as sort of the "workrate" crew.

If you think about it, his roster was pretty threadbare beyond the top handful of names at any given time (champ, ic champ, top heel, Garea's partner, heel tag team). I still think it is remarkable that he was able to sell out MSG and the Spectrum so many times running the shows he did. Master promoter.