Pro Wrestling Only

Draft discussion, analysis and trash talk

Johnny Powers was another one of those guys that was too big of a name for me to draft and not do anything important with. There was also the "I don't think he would have been a full time wrestler in July, 1983" thing that would have bothered me if I was trying to use him regularly.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He actually retired in 1982 but I don't really care.

For somebody that retired in 1982 he sure worked quite a few matches after that

Well his wikipedia page says he retired in 82 and it's the last matches I could find on wrestlingdata

I've been digging around to see what the title was in that picture from 82.

Turns out he was working for Wildman Dave McKigney in Toronto, they ran against the Tunneys, but it seems like it was a cordial relationship with Maple Leaf.

Dave McKigney was famous for wrestling bears, including Terrible Ted.

Looking at results for the McKingney Toronto operations in 82, they had some decent names with a distinct "outlaw" flavour:

July 4, 1982 - McKigney; Arena Gardens; Scarborough, ON

Chris Colt b. Whipper Watson jr. to win the North American title ... The Sheik b. Frankie Laine ... George Steele Dble CO vs. Bruno Sammartino jr ... Bobo Brazil b. Wolfman ... Candi Divine b. Brenda Hoffman ... Luis Martinez & Everett Sheppard b. Tim Gerrard & Chris Jones

July 18, 1982 - McKigney; Arena Gardens; Scarborough, ON

The Sheik Dble CO vs. Bobo Brazil ... Chris Colt & George Steele b. Luis Martinez & Wildman ... Wolfman b. Everett Sheppard ... John Bonello b. Wolfman by DQ ... Brenda Hoffman & Shawn Blue b. Candi Divine & Carolina Kid - Mixed tag team ... Kurt Von Hess b. Ricky Johnson

Aug 1, 1982 - McKigney; Arena Gardens; Scarborough, ON

The Sheik b. Bobo Brazil - Cage match ... Chris Colt b. Wildman - Chain match, to win the North American title ... Bruno Sammartino jr. & Domenic Denucci b. George Steele & Kurt Von Hess ... Ricky Johnson b. El Santos ... Johnny Valiant b. John Bonello ... Jerry Fazio d.w. Ricky Jones

Aug 15, 1982 - McKigney; Arena Gardens; Scarborough, ON

Domenic Denucci & Wildman b. Chris Colt & Kurt Von Hess by CO ... The Sheik b. Johnny Valiant ... Luis Martinez b. Eddie Mansfield ... Farmer Pete b. Shawn Cassidy (midgets) ... Big Mac b. Danny Little Wolf ... Ricky Johnson b. Jerry Fazio

Aug 29, 1982 - McKigney; Lakeshore Lions Arena; Toronto

The Sheik Dble CO vs. Tiger Jeet Singh ... Domenic Denucci, Wildman, & Johnny Valiant b. Chris Colt, Kurt Von Hess, & Eddie Mansfield ... Carolina Kid b. Farmer Pete (midgets) ... Luis Martinez b. Jerry Fazio ... Wolfman b. Ricky Johnson

Sept 5, 1982 - McKigney; Lakeshore Lions Arena; Toronto

The Sheik n.c. vs. Tiger Jeet Singh - Cage match ... Ricky Johnson & Bobo Brazil b. Chris Colt & Eddie Mansfield ... Johnny Powers b. Kurt Von Hess ... Everett Sheppard b. Danny Marsh ... Whipper Watson jr. d.w. Blackjack Johnson

I would like to get approval for a battle royal inside a ring filled with fish as seen here.

It's a big money gimmick for me as an Andre appearance "Yea Andre is the king of battle royals but he's never been in one where the ring was filled with slippery fish! Be there at the Hemisfair Arena on Sunday night!"

I watched the build up to the 1983 Southwest "Undisputed World Title" tournament today with Lou Thesz & Terry Funk whoring themselves out to put over the importance of having one undisputed World Champion and now this tournament was going to do just that. I have big shoes to fill. That's some kind of grandstanding.

Round 18 pick Frank Williams vs. Round 24 pick Bulldog Brower

On commentary Vince says that Brower has let himself go and has not been training very hard.

This match took place in 1980.

In both kayfabe terms and in "smart fan" terms, Williams may just be the worst wrestler ever to lace them up. I can't believe I spent ten minutes watching that. Brutal.

What would be useful would be a list of all talent that is left so I can pick who I want.

Look in the draft thread, I posted it there. Just in case :

Bill Cody

Bill Rathke

Billy Spears

Bob Dellaserra (aka Johnny Heffernan, Karl Steiner, UFO)

Cal Manson

Fred Curry

Gino Dellaserra

Hans Schroeder

Igor Volkoff

Mike Vachon

Mr. Tempest (he can probably head back to Mexico)

Randy Barber

Randy Scott

Rick Connors

Rick Link

Sonny Myers

Steve Estes

The Alaskan

Tiger Williams

Tony Russo

Oh I see you've done that, thanks! Let's see:

Bill Cody - apparently "Buffallo" Bill Cody. Mostly an AWA jobber. Experienced but seemingly quite old and I am not sure how much more age my roster can take.

Bill Rathke - "Big" Bill Rathke. Texas worker. Quite a bit of size for a jobber. Not sure I want any more fatties.

Billy Spears - would be tempted to change his name to "Billy Shears" and have him work a Sgt. Pepper gimmmick. He wore and eye patch and worked mostly Alabama / Gulf Coast, as well as Georgia some. A bit too southern for WWF.

Bob Dellaserra (aka Johnny Heffernan, Karl Steiner, UFO) - latter day member of the Fabulous Kangeroos and had recently held the tag titles in WWC. Not a lot of value on his own. But The Kangeroos were known in New York.

Cal Manson - looks like he worked a military gimmick as "Major" Cal Manson in Stampede. Other reports say a wildman gimmick Cal "the Animal" Manson. Either way, no room for him.

Fred Curry - "Flying" Fred Curry, the son of Bill. About 10 years past his peak and last seen in New York in 1979. Yeah, he could do something. I'll have him.

Gino Dellaserra - handle-bar moustached jobber who worked mostly Vancouver area. Too small time even to job in the big time.

Hans Schroeder - a bit too old for me, and another fatty. With so many veterans on the roster, I need job guys that can move.

Igor Volkoff - former WWF tag team champion as one of the Yukon Lumberjacks, I'll take him.

Mike Vachon - I think this is Mad Dog's son. Not really one for me.

Mr. Tempest (he can probably head back to Mexico) - yeah see you later Mr. Tempest.

Randy Barber - Georgia-based job guy who would go on to work for WWF and WCW later in the decade. Sure, I'll take him. TV experience.

Randy Scott - I believe also known as "Randy Webber". Worked Canadian promotions and Detroit some. I'll pass.

Rick Connors - very minor league Crockett jobber. Would literally only be used if Steve King ever needs a win for me. I'll pass.

Rick Link - aka Man Mountain Link. Why not, he can do something. Probably jobs on the second split crew tours of LA.

Sonny Myers - ancient and associated with the St. Louis lot. Not sure he would have much cache in MSG.

Steve Estes - isn't this "Super Detroyer"?

The Alaskan - nah

Tiger Williams - from the little I could find on this guy, it appears he became a scrap iron merchant. Nah.

Tony Russo - classic "Italian" jobber. Of course, come in Tony, come in.

If Flyin' Brian wants to take anyone here who is left:

Bill Cody

Bill Rathke

Billy Spears

Bob Dellaserra (aka Johnny Heffernan, Karl Steiner, UFO)

Cal Manson

Gino Dellaserra

Hans Schroede

Mike Vachon

Mr. Tempest

Randy Scott

Rick Connors

Sonny Myers

Steve Estes - isn't this "Super Detroyer"?

The Alaskan

Tiger Williams