Pro Wrestling Only

Ever been involved in a show?

cheapshot

I thought I'd create a thread where we can share anecdotes about being involved in shows.

I'll start off - In 2006 I started working a new job, and on the same intake as myself was a guy who promoted shows in the Wigan area of Lancashire (Wigan, the home of The Snakepit) - we got talking, and soon enough I managed to get myself on some of his shows working as referee. Here I am in 2007 reffing a squash match for GPW:

I enjoyed the experience, but being backstage, I couldn't wash some of the wrestlers attitudes, some thinking they were big stars, and calling the fans in attendance marks etc. Some of the GPW roster have gone on to bigger things since - El Ligero, Kris Travis, Martin Kirby and Joey Hayes to name a few.

My anecdote's about how I starting getting involved in shows.

The Stiwt, Rhosllanerchrugog, 2010. Welsh Wrestling is putting on a show in the venue, featuring James Mason, Stevie Starr who had a cup of coffee in NXT as Gavin Reid, Mean Tommy Dean (most underrated villain in the UK), and many many more quality wrestlers. However, the MC, or Ring Announcer for thos in the States, was fucking dire. A woman fell down the stairs and he started panicking on the mic going on about "Technical Difficulties" and did the touring promotion amjor faux pas of saying "give a warm welcome" when announcing the villains, along with constantly reminding us there are hot dogs for sale.

He's so fucking bad at his job and I'm so incredibly drunk that I demand to see the promoter, and tell him I want to be involved in this company. And he says "Well, you've got pretty good size, I like my wrestlers big. What are you? 6'1"? About 16st? I suggest you train in All Star's school in Birkenhead and I'll have a look at you" and I correct him "No mate, no. fucking no. That MC's fucking shit mate. Shite. Fucking shite. I want to be the MC.".

"MC?"

"MC.".

"You got any experience?"

"No."

"Why should I hire you then?"

"Because even a fucking dog is better than the one you've got now!"

"Good point, we've a show in Porthmadog in a week. Show up at Y Ganolfan for 3. And Gaz?"

"Yes?"

"Don't fucking show up drunk"

A week later I went to Porthmadog, with a carrier bag full of lager cans, met with a withering look from the promoter, Alan. But I didn't get drunk. Until after the show when I got absolutely shitfaced in the locker room after getting bollocked by one of the wrestlers who was billed at 6'2" for not stooping my knees when in the ring with him (He must have been 5'10") and then I proceeded to piss the bed in the hotel. And now, 5 Glorious Years (/Larry Z) later, I'm still with them, and have been lucky enough to make many great friends through it.

Oh yeah, and one time I was leaving the ring, and James Mason was entering it and started shaking the ropes joking about doing his high energy fun babyface act where we'll normally have a bit of interaction as he enters, but despite years of Rugby I have the balance of a one legged cow, and ended up doing a Nestea Plunge. The boys called it "the greatest bump they had ever seen" until I let them in on my secret which is that I just lost my balance and fell backwards on my head.

I did color commentary for an indy show in Methuen MA. They had very poor equipment so we had to speak loudly and the fans heard it. I busted out every Bobby Heenan line I could think of "What has 100 legs, 6 teeth and an IQ of 25 - the front row of this building" and acted like cocky jerk. So bad that fans were shouting back and wanting to kill me. By halftime the promoter asked me if I would be willing to end the show getting laid out. I was scared to death as I am NOT an athlete and not trained obviously but I agreed to let the main face headbutt me out. Adrenaline was so high I did a pretty good 360 flop onto the floor in a heap to massive cheers.

He's so fucking bad at his job and I'm so incredibly drunk that I demand to see the promoter, and tell him I want to be involved in this company. And he says "Well, you've got pretty good size, I like my wrestlers big. What are you? 6'1"? About 16st? I suggest you train in All Star's school in Birkenhead and I'll have a look at you" and I correct him "No mate, no. fucking no. That MC's fucking shit mate. Shite. Fucking shite. I want to be the MC.".

Bet you're great company on a night out!

I don't think you grasp just how bad the old MC was. At a show in Welshpool when Lempit Opik was injured and taken off on a stretcher due to our top heel he actually said "Let's all give Kade Callous a big hand! Oh, hang on... Erm... There's hotdogs at the stand, £2 each!". The day I drunkenly accosted the promoter was the last time the MC worked for us. They chose a drunk with no experience over him. He was THAT bad. I was totally justified in my rantings against him.

And yes, I'm known for my fine company on a night out indeed! Wine, women and song.

I currently work for two promotions. I ring announce for a promotion in West Virginia, and I do commentary for a promotion in Pennsylvania. I used to ring announce for two other WV promotions, but one of them doesn't run anymore, and the other one is run by a piece of shit!

I have a bunch of stories I could tell, but I think the best night was when our show was delayed so I sat and talked with Shane Douglas for about two hours about a variety of topics, and then a bored Ricky Morton came over and started telling 80's rat stories to the point where Shane was going "God Damn Ricky." I don't think I've ever laughed so hard.

I sat and talked with Shane Douglas for about two hours about a variety of topics, and then a bored Ricky Morton came over and started telling 80's rat stories to the point where Shane was going "God Damn Ricky." I don't think I've ever laughed so hard.

I love nights like that. Me and Paul London went drinking one night, and he was holding court in front of about 10 people in a pub car park at one point telling hilarious road stories. Hilarious night.

Not exactly involved, but I caught Mr. Perfect's towel when he threw it into the stands at Nassau Coliseum in 1993. Dad wasn't thrilled to bring that home, but there was zero chance I was throwing it out. Needless to say I practiced and perfected the art of spitting my gum in the air and slapping it away after that.

I worked with a wrestling promoter at an internship. I was pretty excited about that. I offered multiple times to do anything for free, even setting up chairs or whatever. He showed no interest in it and made it clear that I'm not welcome into "da bizness".

I also tried to get trained in wrestling. A local promotion put an ad in their paper for their training school and naturally, no one ever responded.

Yeah, I gave up.

I interned at two CZW shows before I dropped a ring post on somebody. No real good stories there.

I currently do camera work and other production work for the Monster Factory in Paulsboro NJ. I'm there in two weeks for a seminar with Brutal Bob Evans and a show that same night.