Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the Bracero/Poffo vs. MX match and liked it a lot. Not quite as much "Bracero rolls around the ring and flusters the MX" as I was hoping for like in the Tully match but still a fun shine sequence for the babyfaces to start the match. That lead to Bracero playing the FIP and doing a really good job selling. The hot tag felt pretty anti climactic but they made up for it with a row boat spot (which I always mark for) and a pretty good finish.

I guess I didn't notice it as much in the Tully match but man Bracero is REALLY small. Hard not to notice when ever Dennis Condrey is kind of towering over you.

Need to watch that later, I may be the only one but I get excited when I see a Tom Lintz match pop up on the site. Very under rated guy, with his size and look I'm really surprised he didn't ever really get a big break anywhere.

His biggest run that I know of was in Southeastern/Continental as fake South African Boomer T. Lynch. He always showed a lot of personality in the ring and was pretty good on the mic in Alabama although his material was pro apartheid racist shit.

"Boomer T. Lynch" was the best South African name they could come up with?

Midnight Express vs Lanny Poffo/El Bracero

This is about a month before the MX win the tag titles. They've worked Houston once before. This is a bout to establish them and give them a good win. Bracero is an established wrestler in the Houston area. These guys have a good match.

Early on we get Bracero one up the MX and the crowd is eating it up. I loved Eaton doing the Fargo Strut to only eat a dropkick in the mush. Poffo is in and he does a real neat segment with Condrey working a head lock and hair pull. The crowd goes nuts for it. I love how crowds cheer the faces doing illegal things. Eventually the MX take a powder and the faces doing back flips in the ring. Condrey is calling for a timeout.

The MX cut Bracero off and start working him over. Bracero is great in his FIP. He's eating all of the MX big moves. Eaton does a great distraction spot on Poffo to continue the beatdown. The crowd reacts to this in a very heated fashion. We get the hot tag, but wasn't delivered well or timed well. Upside like Goc said we get a row, row,row your boat spot. We get the finish.

A really fun midcard match. One team is on the rise, the other their to be a foot note in history.3*

Just watched the Bracero/Poffo vs. MX match and liked it a lot. Not quite as much "Bracero rolls around the ring and flusters the MX" as I was hoping for like in the Tully match but still a fun shine sequence for the babyfaces to start the match.

I thought it was the perfect amount of it. It made it seem special as opposed to a one trick pony.

I liked the MX vs Poffo/Bracero tag. I think we were a bit spoiled by the Blanchard match. This was more about the MX getting a prolonged sort of heat, taking so long to get around the ring, jawing with almost every fan in the building, posturing, Memphis stalling. All of that made the clowning that they did suffer in the opening minutes mean more. I like how matter of fact Bracero was with his mannerisms. I half wonder if he didn't remind people of Cantinflas. I bet most of the adults in the crowd had seen Around the World in 80 Days as kids. Poffo, on the other hand, had this sense of connecting with a crowd where he made it feel like they were in on a private joke together. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Maybe it depended on the heel. Here it worked though.

The heat was super solid, with lots of quick tags and the usual tactics, but it didn't pay off as much as I would have liked. The come back was fine, even if it didn't really stand out. I thought Poffo's work in the shine where he was facing off against both guys was more impressive than his post hot-tag run. I wish we had seen Cornette a bit more involved in general, though. This was fun and I'm glad we have it, because it really shows us Condrey/Eaton against very different opponents than we're used to seeing them against.

Darsow vs Weingroff

Darsow is a guy they keep fluid up and down the card. Usually with the right partner and angle he's a main eventer. So at times they move him down the card, but keep him strong by feeding him wins. It's kind of a lost booking trick. It's knid of how NJPW books Fale.

We start off and they establish Darsow's strength early. He uses kicks, and stomps, and uses his size to control George. Weingroff gets some hope spots with drop kicks and the like. We go to the finish which is the Bruno Sammartino back breaker . Doc comes out for the save and sets up a future match

So now we just need the 12/83 MX vs. Poffo/Rood and we will have the first five MX matches in Houston.

Bracero/Poffo match had more heat before the bell than most modern day matches. Bracero and Poffo worked as enhancement talent, with just enough offense to keep the crowd with them.

Poffo and his flying along with Bracero, the 50's-60's French stuff we have, dismantles the argument that 2015 and every year forward are the most athletic times in pro wrestling history.

Guerreros vs Jose Lothario/Hacksaw Duggan

This is awesome and another chapter of the Lothario vs Guerrero's feud. This time Lothario chooses Duggan as his partner. Paul Boesch fears this match is going to get out of hand and wants nothing to do with it.

We open with a wild brawl. Chavo and Hector are bumping around and eating all of the faces punches, and they are great punches. It settles down into a regular tag. We start out and the Guerreros are just feeding themselves for some super sock punches. We get some nice arm drag exchanges. Lothario is tremendous in the shine with the brothers working their asses off. Chavo with a knee into Lothario's back on a double team. Chavo begins with these nasty jackhammer punches to Lothario's eye trying to bust him open. We see Lothario tag out to Duggan. Duggan is walking tall but misses a knee drop. Hector begin punching the knee. Chavo and Duggan seem off on a spot and sets up a hot tag that isn't that hot. Cornette is out and eithers Duggan. The Guerreros work over Lothario to massive heat. Their is some mistimed stuff, but overall a strong bout . 3 3/4*

ERNIE LADD and BUTCH REED vs. TERRY TAYLOR and SONNY KING

Holy Moly they did it again the 7/6/84 show had another killer match on it. We still haven't gotten the top 2 matches from it. The semi main is actually in circulation and it's a great match. Man, Houston wrestling is tremendous, and really is a special town in wrestling.

The crowd is molten for this. They want to kill Butch Reed and that turncoat Ernie Ladd . Sonny King is Hacksaw Duggan over here. We start with a wild brawl to start, It settles down and Sonny King is throwing hands. Just beating the heel's asses. Reed and Ladd are great at feeding King. They also stooge big time for him. Taylor in and Ladd is cheapshotting him like a pro. Taylor has had enough and cheapshots Ladd. Eventually, Ladd's size is too much for Taylor. Butch sneaks behind the ref's back and cheapshots Taylor. The crowd is insane here on the cheating. Ladd slingshots Taylor into just a nasty Reed elbow. Taylor takes a big bump to the floor. We build to the finish and the heels go over with a foreign object shot. Man just a super heated tag that the crowd ate up with a spoon. 3 1/2*

Thank you. The entire library is in Indianapolis being transferred. We've basically uploaded the matches that have needed the least amount of work first - in order to get as many matches online as possible. The oldest matches need the most processing - from audio issues to baking the tapes for weeks to eliminate any degradation that may have occurred. There are some tapes that are beyond repair - but thankfully those are minimal. Additionally - the process is very very expensive - and I am paying for this out of my pocket. We are not a huge corporation like WWE who has millions of dollars at its disposal so we are doing this as fast as we can - within our budgetary constraints. We have a LOT of subscribers already - but not enough to cover what I have invested yet - or what we are continuing to expend to continue this project. Don't worry - we are not going away - and I have made the personal commitment to see this project through. This is a labor of love - because I truly believe that we are preserving wrestling history - and honoring the legends who are part of this amazing collection - many of which are older or not with us any longer.

Why haven't we been able to develop the Roku App yet? Because the development cost is $20,000. We aren't prepared to invest this figure into that - yet - because that money has been earmarked for other things. The platform itself costs us close to $40,000 a year just to stream these great matches to you in as great a quality as they are in. Not to mention the costs involved in restoring the tapes and uploading them. Seriously - the cost is astronomical. So please be patient with us - please continue to support this project - and encourage everyone that you can to subscribe so that we may offset some of the costs involved. THANK YOU to all who are supporting us and don't worry - this project will continue to the end. We aren't going anywhere. We have successfully uploaded close to 200 matches into the database - and by our calculations we have close to 3000 individual matches!

And the match we are working on right now - which will be released tomorrow - is amazing. Not a Bockwinkle match - but a phenomenal contest nonetheless. Thanks again guys and please be patient with us.

• Loss unpinned this topic