Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Bruce said they weren't going forward with one unless the price was right.

All those Indies like Progress and Chikara are using pivot share. So I'm sure pivot share is getting a % . With Classics they have to convert reels , which anyone remembers from Bix trying to raise money to convert reels to current media on those Watts reels was really expensive. Trust me if they go forward with a Roku app we'll be the 1st to know.

I'll flat out say I'm 47 and I started watching wrestling in 1981. There is good and bad in each generation but seeing Duggan in his "prime" so yo speak, when he was not a comic break. Or seeing Kerry Von Erich in the same ring as the Rock-n-Roll Express. There is nothing like it.

Butch Reed vs Wrestling 2 9/9/83

These guys have a lot of history. Wrestling 2 and TA feuded with Reed and Neidhardt for the tag belts.

The match is super fun before they even lock up. Wrestling 2 uses his speed advantage to start. A Million Dollar Knee Lift stuns Reed and he takes a powder.Wrestling 2 has a headlock on Reed. Reed tries to toss 2, but he holds onto the front face lock. Huge Knee lift from the 2nd rope and Reed is reeling.

Wrestling 2 runs into a Reed knee to set up the heat. Elbow drop by Reed. Reed is using his weight on 2. Wrestling 2 tries to rally, but Reed tugs him down by the mask. Wrestling 2 showing tons of fire underneath, Reed pulls the mask again. Reed using his weight on the rope. Reed has been good working the neck. Reed transitions to working the knee. Which is 2's biggest weapon. Reed posts the knee and wraps it around the post. Wrestling 2 hits the knee and crumbles like he's been shot. Reed hits him with the spear for the win.

What a really smartly worked match. It made sense, total a great story, and had plenty of action. 4*

And if you have a laptop with an HDMI port, buy a $5 HDMI cord and hook into TV. Or ChromeCast from tablet, laptop, or desktop.

Not sure development of Roku app would be worthwhile anyway. Might be smarter to go with an iOS and/or Apple TV app

Pretty sure it is a hell of a lot harder to get on the Apple Store than Roku. Apple TV is also just nowhere near as good of a product at this point (at least IMO as I do use both of them).

Kendo Nagasaki vs Art Crews 3/25/83

Art Crews is a really good journeyman wrestler who wrestled everyone. The reason for that is because he's a good hand. He really worked hard here. His offense was good enough to rally the crowd behind his shine , and attempted comebacks here and there.He sold well and took a couple of nice bumps. He put over Nagasaki's ninja based offense. Especially that nasty 2nd rope kick. Nagasaki played his gimmick well enough. To be candid I've never been a fan of his. I do realize he was a star in many territories. It is always fun to look at all these great gimmicks throughout the years. 2*

I am back from being on the road - quick trip to Mississippi / Tennessee - so I will be uploading more matches starting today.

Had a GREAT conversation with Jim Cornette about NWAClassics. He loves it and was so excited talking about his Houston days. Told a back story about why Boesch got involved in the finish on that Midnight Express tag match. he told me that when Boesch came down to ringside and put his hand on his shoulder - and told him GET BACK TO THE DRESSING ROOM - he said the fans were about to riot and Paul saw that when he did not. Cornette said Paul saved his life that night.

Jimmy was surprised - did not know that there was a full bar in Houston. The people were drunk by the main event. I also told him what a genius he was - even back then when he was just a kid. He appreciated that - and we had a great conversation about Houston.

Great story, a big difference between then and now as well was the passion of the fans. It was more than being a ROH fan or WWE fan or whatever. We were emotionally invested in the matches themselves, not just the promotion or what we wanted from the promotion.

In watching the Kendo Nagasaki - Art Crews match / what impressed me was how solid Nagasaki looked in his kicks - karate thrusts - chops etc. - but also how much the crowd was into this match! Nagasaki had legitimate heat - and the crowd was really behind Crews during his comeback / hope spots. It's just a different kind of product than you see these days - sports entertainment vs. believe ability - to me believe ability wins every time. What I think NWAClassics.com also exposes - indirectly - is how the trend towards sports entertainment totally changed the style of wrestling - watered it down - diluted it. Until someone new comes along to revive the psychology and story telling of classic pro wrestling.

Gran Markus vs Johnny Rich 5/20/83

This was the opening match of a loaded card where the WWF and AWA world titles are defended.

This was just a solid match. The job of the opening bout is a good back and forth that would be easy to outshine.Allows people to get a coke or beer. We see Rich do a lot of headlock take overs. Work the arm a bit. Gran Markus would use cheapshots to get heat. He was getting Tito next week. So the other purpose of this is for Markus to look good in winning. Markus wins with his finisher of the double elbow drop.

And if you have a laptop with an HDMI port, buy a $5 HDMI cord and hook into TV. Or ChromeCast from tablet, laptop, or desktop.

Not sure development of Roku app would be worthwhile anyway. Might be smarter to go with an iOS and/or Apple TV app

I disagree.

Yes, we're all aware that you can hook an HDMI cord from your laptop to your TV. Very few people actually want to do that.

"Casting" from the Chromecast is a buggy, slow mess at best.

Getting on iOS and Apple TV - if possible - is a great idea, but not at the expense of Roku.

In a perfect world, this service would be on Roku, Apple TV, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, etc. - as many devices as possible.

Hacksaw Duggan vs Mike Sharpe 2/25/83

This isn't walking tall Duggan.This is Rat Pack Duggan and he's a heel. I liked this match, but would have been better served if it was only booked to go 10 minutes instead of 14 and change. I really liked the 1st 6 minutes or so. I loved Duggan trying to tease an opening handshake that Mike turns the table on. Duggan bumps big and hard early to establish Sharpe. I love the Sharpe looking for approval from the crowd to stomp Duggan. I love when wrestling can be interactive in a good way. They do some more brawling. Then they shift gears and goes to a test of strength. This transitions into Duggan working the arm. I thought this was well done, but not what I need from a Duggan match. The arm work was done well. He also would punch and stomp the shoulder. Duggan also did some fun hair pulling for leverage. Sharpe's comeback is full of spirit. Duggan though ends him with the Spear. 2 1/2*

I disagree.

Yes, we're all aware that you can hook an HDMI cord from your laptop to your TV. Very few people actually want to do that.

"Casting" from the Chromecast is a buggy, slow mess at best.

Getting on iOS and Apple TV - if possible - is a great idea, but not at the expense of Roku.

In a perfect world, this service would be on Roku, Apple TV, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, etc. - as many devices as possible.

Roku won't be around in 10 years....may even be quicker.

• Loss unpinned this topic