Pro Wrestling Only

Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Tyler Breeze at NXT Takeover in Brooklyn on 8/22

KrisZ

Regal tweeted a photo of an old British wrestling poster of a show he and Liger worked on together back in the day, trying to spin that he just made a phone call to an old pal and this isn't the beginnings of a run on ROH. Considering he's in HHH's inner circle I wonder if he was asked to try to put out the fires of internet rage.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oliver Stone's next conspiracy bullshit project, "ROH vs NXT", coming to theaters full of nobody.

And this the idea that Vince is scared of Sinclair Brosdcasting. Seriously, what kind of weed makes you think that? Cause I want some.

Johnny , Sinclair Broadcasting can buy the WWE three times and have changed left over. That is a fact . Do you you think the Sinclair chairman , David M. Smith , is afraid or concerned about the WWE ? Of course not. , he could care less about Vince .. The WWE is a the leader in the wrestling business , but in Wall Street's eyes it is a small oddball company. You should google the WWE stock and Sinclair stock . Than compare the two and see which one you would buy.

This isn't relevant until Sinclair starts putting a lot more of that clout behind ROH. More WWE resources are devoted to WWE (read: all of them) than Sinclair resources to ROH. Sinclair *could* be a major threat to WWE if they got serious about challenging them, but that's not the current situation.

Isn't Vince all about supporting Dunn to the end though?

Per a swell Jim Caldwell article at the Torch the end may be coming sooner than people realize. Now, I'm not sure I completely buy into Vince giving up the reigns so soon, but there is a lot of growing resentment towards Dunn backstage. Not just from the wrestlers, but from the creative team as well. WWE still puts tons of stock in the ratings, and the ratings keep getting worse, and once football starts they are afraid that there ill be weeks where Raw is only getting a 2.0 to 2.5 rating. If that happens than a shake-up is likely to follow, and that's why people have started choosing sides. Right now it's mainly Dunn and his people being on the defensive because it appears as if their days are numbered.

They basically see ROH as direct competition to NXT for the internet fan market, and I don't think that's inaccurate. It is peculiar to see them apparently lash out so hard at the company that was more or less the real source of talent that made NXT a favorite to begin with.

Purely speculative, but isn't WWE's relationship with Gabe/WWN an attempt to put their eggs into his basket and replace ROH as the unspoken farm system with someone under their thumb? The perception - right or wrong, but probably right - is that ROH was at its best under Gabe's vision - not the current regime - when coupled with guys like Bryan, Joe, Nigel in their primes. And that WWN's more appealing to WWE because they don't have TV? Uhaa is already coming in as the professed blue chipper. Personally I'd rather see Busick, Thatcher, Gulak, Sabre, End, and Tracy Williams as the NXT recruits of the future than Cole/Redragon/War Machine. Plus Strong - universally considered the best guy on the US indies right now - has as good a rapport with Evolve as he does with ROH.

And if you look at the veterans on both sides, I could see the WWE having more faith in the company utilizing their future endeavored guys well (Baretta, PJ Black, Galloway, Hero) than the group building around ex-TNA guys who WWE has never wanted (Daniels, AJ, Lethal, Aries - plus Kaz and Sydal, both of whom left WWE on bad terms). ROH's biggest problem right now is that aside from Moose and Dalton, all of their young talent come off very green/generic/lame.

Gabe probably has more advocates in WWE than Delirious does. Cesaro, Joe, Danielson, Rollins, Harper, Neville. Not sure where Owens and Zayn fit on that loyalty spectrum, but they're probably Delirious guys given when their pushes came? Ambrose has pretty apathetic things to say about Gabe, but that's more that he's critical of the entire indie scene he came up in, and found Gabe to be a bit of an internet geek.

Most of why that production was great was that they did 1/3rd as many jump cuts, stuck to the hard camera, and didn't overlay horrible aggro-rock over everything. The result looked like a beautiful hybrid of early 90s Clash of the Champions and Sumo Hall mid-90s Super Juniors tournaments. I've said this before, but the biggest problem with Dunn's production is that it comes off like the work of someone who's never watched sports. He's asked to shoot a football game, then decides he's shooting a Scorpions video.

Another blow to the Dunn brigade were everyone raving about how good the NXT Japan special was which had no Kevin Dunn involvement in production.

was this something said in the dirt sheets about the backstage perception of Dunn or are you just talking about it being a blow to the public perception of his work?

And if you look at the veterans on both sides, I could see the WWE having more faith in the company utilizing their future endeavored guys well (Baretta, PJ Black, Galloway, Hero) than the group building around ex-TNA guys who WWE has never wanted (Daniels, AJ, Lethal, Aries - plus Kaz and Sydal, both of whom left WWE on bad terms).

Wait...Sydal left on bad terms, but PJ Black and Hero didn't? And I'm convinced Baretta only lasted as long as he did was because they forgot he was on the roster. Pretty sure they don't care if he's used at all.

And Galloway is a current TNA guy.

Gabe probably has more advocates in WWE than Delirious does. Cesaro, Joe, Danielson, Rollins, Harper, Neville.

Plus Jacobs, Mercury, and Noble from the road agent pool.

Maybe three of those people have a voice that would matter to Triple H, never mind Vince.

Baretta is a weird case, I remember reading reports when they called him up in the DudeBusters tag team that they were going to use it as a vehicle to make him the star of the team but then the team didn't do anything. And then they released Caylen Croft and they started saying stuff about Trent Baretta getting a singles push but instead he kept on not doing anything until he got released.

Galloway also works for EVOLVE and Dragon Gate on top of TNA.

Baretta is a weird case, I remember reading reports when they called him up in the DudeBusters tag team that they were going to use it as a vehicle to make him the star of the team but then the team didn't do anything. And then they released Caylen Croft and they started saying stuff about Trent Baretta getting a singles push but instead he kept on not doing anything until he got released.

I know. He pointed out that RoH is full of ex-TNA guys that WWE never wanted. Don't know how a guy being currently booked there and in Evolve could be seen as a positive.

What building does ROH run that NXT would want outside of the Toronto one?

What Toronto arena are you talking about?

For huge PPV shows or RAW, WWE usually runs Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome) or Air Canada Centre. For house shows, they've been using Richoh Colliseum at the Canadian National Exhibition (which is the arena JCP ran back in the early 90's when WCW came to town.)

ROH tends to use the Ted Reeve Arena, but they've also run The Markham Fairgrounds a couple of times (which was awesome for me because it's 10 minutes from my place) and they even ran a show at The Mattamy Athletic Centre, which is the preserved part of the old Maple Leaf Gardens.

And DGUSA ran the Metro Toronto Convention Centre a few times.

There are a ton of smaller venues in and around the Greater Toronto Area that ROH could run, although Ted Reeve arena seems to be their choice. It's where they've run the NJPW shows the last few years.

I was thinking Ted Reeve Arena seems like a solid venue that can hold over 1,000 and has some permanent seating.

I'm not sure what other buildings NXT would be trying to steal. So far they've been in theaters and concert venues. They've tried to appear somewhat major league. A lot of ROH venues are just open spaces where they set up a lot of folding chairs.

I don't think Barreta is that much of a mystery. He was a small, skinny indyriffic dude (a few years before they started looking twice at guys like that). They never really pushed him at all, the Busters were in late-era ECW, and he was a jobber on SD. I think any talk of him getting a push were more hopeful than anything else.

And if you look at the veterans on both sides, I could see the WWE having more faith in the company utilizing their future endeavored guys well (Baretta, PJ Black, Galloway, Hero) than the group building around ex-TNA guys who WWE has never wanted (Daniels, AJ, Lethal, Aries - plus Kaz and Sydal, both of whom left WWE on bad terms).

Wait...Sydal left on bad terms, but PJ Black and Hero didn't? And I'm convinced Baretta only lasted as long as he did was because they forgot he was on the roster. Pretty sure they don't care if he's used at all.

And Galloway is a current TNA guy.

Sydal got a bad rep for being a guy who "screwed up his career with drugs" and the Vince stigma around guys who are "injury prone". Probably unfair, but that was the knock. Hero is a guy who everyone in NXT loved, but who someone decided didn't have their idea of a good look for wrestling, and was red flagged from the moment he arrived for failing the medicals. Which has been a career mark against Hero, even if it's a BS critique against any wrestler, esp. in a company now pushing Steen this hard. Galloway is with TNA, which I'd forgotten as I don't watch the show. I certainly associate him more with Evolve given his recent role there. Plus I was just reminded that he had that really dumb incident where he lost a bar fight and showed up to the hotel at 5AM the morning of Summerslam '13 looking like hell. So sure, I could see them thinking he's an idiot. Plus the Terrell fight and the perception that he blew an incredibly big Vince-supported push on Smackdown. That said, he as much anyone in recent years is a guy who they missed the boat on.

None of this changes WWE's more sweeping views of the landscape: they think TNA tarnishes most guys, especially someone like Aries who they've never liked. They resent that ROH got a TV deal and are doing things to mess with them. One of which is some kind of mild bankrolling of WWN. Sapolsky's a Heyman guy, and I'm sure he sees it as an ECW situation where they can pay him $1000 a week to serve as a consultant who emails them ideas while offering them a good pool of talent. My point was that I think Evolve is producing better young talent than ROH is right now: I have no idea if WWE agrees.

If they thought that Galloway "blew his push" based on PERFORMANCE then they are out of their minds. He was doing great stuff at the end of 09 well into 2010, he delivered as The Chosen One all the way up until the point where The Nexus killed off Mr. McMahon and left him pretty much directionless. If they think he blew it based on the whole Terell thing, that's a different matter.

Yes. That and getting beat up in some kind of street fight in LA the weekend of Summerslam '13. But long before any of that, his planned MITB win was suddenly given to Swagger at Mania 26. Shortly after that his visa expired and he had to leave the US for a while to renew it, which they made into a storyline. He briefly held the tag titles with Cody later that year, but he was really done as an act they cared about by the end of 2010.