Pro Wrestling Only

Montreal Supercard & TV Thread

dawho5

I try to do either 6-man tags with 1 and a half feuds or a singles match with half of a tag feud on the midcard and above feuds to set up the 2 on 2 matches. To me, it doesn't matter what matches you put on a card with feuding teams/people across from one another, as long as it's not the money match on something like a 2,000-3,000 seat house. You may or may not have noticed that the Can Ams and the Tongans, despite feuding, have not had a 2 on 2 match yet. That and matches like Condrey/Rose vs. Jacques/Raymond are saved for the 18,000 seat Montreal Forum shows or something like that. Also, the first Can Ams vs. Tongans match is being used to lend significance to the new title they will be wrestling for in it. At some point I may work a bigger building in Ottawa on a Thursday after a TV taping or something, hit a nice 10,000 gate as a follow-up to the previous night's TV with a marquee matchup or two that gets teased on the TV.

It's also the reason why my lowest title is a singles title. The guys who are getting pushes get good experience in a lot of tag matches & six mans to build to the title matches and a chance to work a semi-featured singles match now and again. Gives them the training they need for what will be expected of them on the midcard.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

International Wrestling, August 26th (Taped August 24th, 1983, at the Paul Sauvé Arena, Montreal, QC) 4,000 fans, sellout

Opening match

0:00 - 7:00

The opening montage cuts to the Gerrard Brothers already in the ring. Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet walk out to the ring slapping hands with the crowd. Jacques, Sr. praises his son for his recent improvement under Rene Goulet’s watchful eye.

Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet vs. The Gerrard Brothers

The Gerrards strike first, getting in some quick offense on Goulet. Armand takes the tag and cleans house, but the Gerrards are not done fighting yet. Tim Gerrard hits a dropkick that knocks Rougeau down and sends him back to tag in Goulet. Goulet grabs a chinlock on Alex Gerrard after he is tagged in and hits a few punches to turn the tide back in his team’s favor. Goulet and Rougeau work over Alex for a few minutes before Armand tags off to Goulet as he climbs the ropes and hits a fist drop on a prone Alex Gerrard. Goulet comes in and applies the scorpion claw hold for the win.

Rene Goulet over Alex Gerrard by submission with the scorpion claw hold 5:44

Jacques, Sr. takes time to call that an impressive victory for his son and Rene Goulet before talking briefly about each match remaining on the card.

Commercial Break

7:00 - 25:00

After commercial The Tongan Terrors along with Lou Albano and Richard Charland are heading to the ring with the crowd booing and throwing garbage at them. Charland is wearing his ill-gotten Quebec Heavyweight Title around his waist. Albano takes the time to scream insults at several members of the crowd along the way as Jacques, Sr. paints the Tongans as monsters and Charland as a coward. The Can Am Express and Louis Laurence get big cheers as they step out from the curtain. Jacques Sr. reminds the fans of the heated brawl the Can Am Express and the Tongan Terrors had a few weeks back.

The Can Am Express & Louis Laurence vs. The Tongan Terrors & Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland

Laurence wants to start the match against Charland, but the Quebec heavyweight champ wants nothing to do with Laurence. Tonga John starts the match for his team and ignores Laurence’s punches before destroying the youngster with chops and punches. Laurence takes a long beating from the heels, with Charland joining in once the Tongan Terrors soften Laurence up. Laurence looks like he is going to make the tag several times before he actually does, and the crowd explodes when Lafon comes in with a fury. Lafon’s kicks stagger even the Tongans, but don’t take them off their feet. Charland grabs Lafon from behind at the ropes and the Terrors start in on Lafon. Lafon takes a long beating before getting out of trouble and tagging in a fresh Brunzell, who is on fire when he hits the ring. The match degenerates into a free-for-all as Laurence begins chasing Charland around ringside only to run into a big boot from Tonga John. The Rougeaus hit a double dropkick on Charland as he scampers into the ring and head straight for the Tongan Terrors. Referee Andre Roy desperately tries to regain control of the contest, finally doing so. Lafon is being held in the ring by Tonga John with his arms behind his back for Charland to hit as King Tonga has the referee’s attention when Lafon ducks out of the way and the chair shot that Charland had intended for Lafon hits Tonga John instead, sending him crashing to the mat. Lafon grabs both of John’s legs and bridges over into a jacknife hold for the three. Post-match the Tongan Terrors and Can Am Express have a brawl around ringside as Laurence chases Charland to the back. Every referee in the building and a good part of the roster emerge from the back to keep the brawl from getting out of control between the Can Am Express and the Tongan Terrors.

Phil Lafon over Tonga John with a jacknife hold 16:11

Jacques, Sr. talks up the growing rivalry between the Can Am Express and the Tongan Terrors as the two teams are separated.

Commercial Break

25:00 - 36:30

Goldie Rogers and Dan Johnson are in the ring with Jacques, Sr. as we come back from commercial. Rogers is tossing his hair back and forth and generally looking very full of himself.

Jacques, Sr.: Mr. Rogers you had an impressive debut in the IWA last week. I don’t think a lot of the fans here were all that excited that you won though.

Rogers: You think I care if all these people like the fact that I won?

The crowd lets Rogers know that they don’t.

Rogers: Listen up, jack! I am without a doubt the most gorgeous man these people have ever seen and I can’t help it if all the men in the audience are jealous.

Jacques, Sr.: It’s Jacques not Jack.

Rogers gives Jacques, Sr. an odd look and then continues.

Rogers: As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted. All of these guys out here are just mad because they know their woman would rather go home with me! It doesn’t hurt that I’m on such a roll since I got to the IWA. Why don’t you scram, Jack and I can keep on that roll!

The crowd boos again as Jacques, Sr. glares at Rogers before exiting the ring and heading back to the announce table. Dave Kochen and Tony Ricco come out to the ring getting some cheers from the fans. Jacques, Sr. talks about Kochen’s tenacity and skill and Ricco’s toughness before wondering what Rogers’ problem is.

Dave Kochen & Tony Ricco vs. Goldie Rogers & Dan Johnson

Rogers falls victim to several armdrags by Kochen before Kochen and Ricco start working on his left arm. Rogers tries several times to beg off and back into a corner to no avail. Finally he suckers Ricco into being too complacent and pulls him face first into the turnbuckle pad to turn things around. Rogers and Johnson work Ricco over for a long while before Kochen takes the hot tag. Kochen is fired up and laying into Johnson and Rogers drops off the apron after one punch, checking his face for blood or structural damage. Rogers is back up on the apron and catches Kochen with a knee to the back during rope-running before tagging in. Rogers viciously attacks Kochen, warning him several times that he better not mess up Rogers’ face. Kochen comes back with punches, sending Rogers scrambling back to his corner. Ricco is tagged in and looks to come in hot, but Rogers hits a drop toe hold and gets a quick headlock before hitting a shoulder block and stomping away at Ricco’s face. Rogers turns his attention to Ricco’s neck when he rolls over and hits several vicious knee drops to the neck before setting Ricco up for the neckbreaker and executing it for the three.

Goldie Rogers over Tony Ricco by pinfall after a neckbreaker 8:21

Jacques, Sr. makes Rogers out to be a dangerous man despite his arrogance and unwillingness to get punched in the face. Rogers gyrates his hips at several women in the front row, getting a good reaction from one or two despite his actions, on his way to the back.

Commercial Break & Upcoming Events

August 27th, 1983, Paul Sauvé Arena, Montreal, QC
Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & Invader 1 vs. The Midnight Express & Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Gino Brito & Tony Parisi vs. Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet
The Can Am Express & Invader 3 vs. The Tongan Terrors & Mad Dog Lefebvre
“The Farmer” Louis Laurence & Tony Ricco vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson
Dave Kochen will be in action

August 30th, 1983, Palais des Sports, Sherbrooke, QC
Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & Invader 3 vs. Midnight Express & Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Gino Brito & Tony Parisi vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson
The Can Am Express & Invader 1 vs. The Tongan Terrors & Mad Dog Lefebvre
And more!

August 31st, 1983, Paul Sauvé Arena, Montreal, QC
Canadian International Heavyweight Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & Invader 1 vs. The Midnight Express & Mad Dog Lefebvre
Jim Brunzell vs. King Tonga
Dave Kochen vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland in a title match
Rene Goulet vs. Tonga john
Invader 3 vs. Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Phil Lafon vs. “The Farmer” Louis Laurence
And more!

September 1st, 1983, Colisée de Trois-Rivieres, Trois Rivieres, QC
Gino Brito & the Invaders vs. Tonga John, Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Tony Parisi vs. King Tonga
“The Farmer” Louis Laurence & Tony Ricco vs. The Midnight Express
Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson
And more!

36:30 - 58:30

We come back from commercial with Jacques, Sr. hyping the debut of a new tag team, Earth & Sky , as two Japanese men in masks are shown. One is wearing a white mask with a dark twister type design on either side and the other a black mask with a stone grey rock design on the face. Dennis Condrey along with Eddie Creatchman, Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles Poisson emerge from the curtain to loud boos as the camera cuts back to the ring. Jacques, Sr. talks about the frequent attacks Lefebvre and Poisson have made on the Invaders since their debut and how this match is a result of those attacks. Gino Brito and the Invaders come out to a really big pop. Jacques, Sr. recalls that the Invaders had wanted to fight Brito, but mutual respect had been found after a fight that got broken up by Lefebvre and Poisson.

Gino Brito & the Invaders vs. Dennis Condrey, Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles Poisson

This match was an all-out brawl with Brito and Condrey tearing into each other at the bell and things never slowing down. The Invaders, finally able to get their hands on Lefebvre and Poisson, were not to be denied early. Neither team had control of the match for long and head referee Adrian Desbois had his hands full trying to control the action. After a long brawl that saw Lefebvre and Poisson try to rip the masks of both Invaders and Lefebvre simply biting away at said masks, Condrey slammed Brito on the floor twice to take him out of the fight. Invader 1 was squashed with a falling bearhug by Poisson to set up a Condrey leg drop. This left Invader 1 all alone against three men and he fell to Lefebvre and Poisson’s tag team finisher, the bearhug transitioned into a second rope superplex, after putting up a short fight.

Mad Dog Lefebvre over Invader 3 by pinfall after a bearhug/second rope superplex combination 18:46

Jacques, Sr. puts over both teams for a tremendous brawl, highlighting the vicious nature of the finish by Condrey, Lefebvre & Poisson as the three heels celebrate in the ring. Lefebvre and Poisson push Invader 1 out of the ring next to an unconscious Gino Brito as the show ends with Jacques Sr. describing the carnage.

Dark matches
Pre-Show
Tony Parisi defeated Bobby Kay with a flying senton
Jacques Rougeau defeated Rudy Kay with a Quebec crab
Post-Show
Raymond Rougeau defeated Randy Rose via countout after a sleeper on the outside

It's Jacques not Jack line made me laugh. I thought that match write up for Goldie Rogers did a good job of establishing his character too.

Oddly enough, the Earth & Sky idea sounds somewhat similar to a Japanese team I have coming in soon also. I might need goodhelmet to back me up on it that I'm not copying your idea haha.

Thanks. That "Listen up, Jack!" was actually a Goldie Rogers catchphrase at some point in his career. I thought given that and the way he carried himself and looked in the little I saw of him made him a perfect midcard heel that was different than any of my other heels. And I think he will be torturing Jacques, Sr. for the forseeable future with that kind of thing, once he gets started in his feud.

Someone described Goldie Rogers to me during the draft as a "lazy Rip Rogers" which put him somewhere on my draft board but not real high. Glad to see he's being used well here though.

Oh btw if you missed it I just made a topic the other day about a documentary with some footage of Montreal wrestling from the early 70s on it that might interest you. I put it on youtube if you want to check it out. It's more of a documentary on wrestling structure than Montreal wrestling itself but I thought it was quite good.

Another fun show dawho5. This is consistently one of the better promotions in this thing. I can't say enough about how much I love that there's a fed here that is so tag team focused.

And you actually made me look up Goldie Rogers after reading this because while I had heard of him somewhat, his portrayal here is a star waiting to happen.

Are you someone who grew up with Montreal or is this all new to you?

I am making all of this up as I go. I watched what Montreal footage I could find to get a handle on what the wrestlers with available footage could do. I have no idea what kind of announcer Jacques, Sr. would have been IRL, so I made him into my ideal wrestling announcer. Just so happens that Lance Russell is pretty damn close to my ideal wrestling announcer. Gino Brito, Gilles Poisson, Louis Laurence, Mad Dog Lefebvre, Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet all have a small amount of available footage that I kind of got keynotes off of for how I want them portrayed. Tony Parisi, Tony Ricco, Dave Kochen (worked AWA as Buddy Lane and in canada as himself as a lower card guy), Dan Johnson (not a Montreal guy, just a filler spot) and Richard Charland are complete and total fabrications on my part. Charland I felt like I needed a chickenshit heel on the roster and he would be a good foil for Laurence as the undercard guys who are moving up to the midcard.

One thing I really tried to do is make sure all of my heels felt different.

Midnights - badass guys who will cut corners if they have to and are complete assholes, but do not need to cheat to win

Tongans - monster heels

Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles Poisson - wildman brawler & veteran heel who cheats despite his size advantage

Charland & Johnson - complete chickenshit heel with his partner to take falls when they are on the losing end/distract/etc.

Rogers - arrogant heel

One thing I didn't want to do was have a bunch of guys who constantly break the rules and are all the same bad guy. There had to be different characters and motivations going on for all of them so every feud isn't just "this guy cheats and attacks the face and the face has to overcome the odds". That's a great story when done right, but there needs to be variation on it. That is something that really made Buddy Rose stand out to me in the AWA I watched. So many AWA heels were the exact same heel as either the last guy to challenge the face or the guy down the card. Larry Z is a great heel, but it's somewhat less effective when every heel stalls a lot, cheats at every opportunity, etc.

International Wrestling, September 2nd, 1983 (Taped August 31st, 1983 at the Paul Sauvé Arena, Montreal, QC) 4,000 fans, sellout

The opening montage cuts to a shot of Jacques, Sr. welcoming the fans to International Wrestling. Last week’s events are recapped and the camera cuts to the ring where Louis Laurence is slapping hands with fans at ringside as they cheer. Phil Lafon makes his way out to the ring to a better reaction than Laurence, but Jacques, Sr. puts both over as young men with a lot of potential.

Opening Match

0:00 - 7:30

Phil Lafon vs. Louis Laurence

Lafon takes an early advantage despite some effective punches and elbow smashes from Laurence. Laurence tries working over Lafon’s leg, but Lafon gets out of trouble quickly and starts laying in kicks on Laurence. A running spinkick to Laurence in the corner sends laurence stumbling back to the middle of the ring. Lafon hooks in the cobra clutch in the center of the ring for the win.

Phil Lafon wins by submission with a cobra clutch 6:12

Jacques, Sr. runs down the rest of the matches on the card and talks about them briefly as we go to commercial.

Commercial Break

7:30 - 17:30

We return from commercial to another shot of Jacques, Sr. as he puts over the previous match as a battle between two rising stars. The camera cuts to the ring and Richard Charland emerges from the curtain wearing his Quebec Heavyweight Title. He gets quite a lot of boos as he rolls into the ring and Jacques, Sr. makes sure the fans watching know that he is a very undeserving champion. Dave Kochen walks down to the ring being cheered by the crowd and slapping hands with more than a few. Jacques, Sr. talks about Kochen’s recent struggles against Charland. Charland ambushes Kochen as he climbs up on the apron and sends him to the floor with a right hand.

Dave Kochen vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland in a title match

Kochen struggles to get back in the ring as Charland is not giving him any room to come back in, taking time to respond to the jeers from the crowd each time he sends Kochen back to the floor. Charland’s legs finally are caught by Kochen, who drags him outside and sends him into the guard rail. Referee Pierre Bertrand warns Kochen to not use the ringpost and he instead rolls Charland back in the ring and gets a few nearfalls after taking out his frustrations on the champion. Charland rakes the eyes multiple times to get control of the match back and runs Kochen’s face down the top rope for good measure. Kochen avoids a corner charge on instinct, but he can’t capitalize. Charland and Kochen exchange punches on their knees with Charland rolling out of the ring to avoid further punishment. Dan Johnson runs out and Bertrand is distracted as Charland rams Kochen’s head into the ringpost and rolls the now groggy Kochen back into the ring. A piledriver from Charland gets the three to retain his championship.

Richard Charland wins by pinfall with a piledriver 8:05

Jacques, Sr. is fuming about the breach of the rules by Charland as Charland and Johnson celebrate in the ring. Kochen starts to revive, a trickle of blood showing on his forehead before Charland and Johnson rolls him out of the ring and keep celebrating to Jacques, Sr.’s disgust.

Commercial Break

17:30 - 35:30

Lou Albano and the Tongan Terrors are in the ring with Jacques, Sr. as we return from break.

Jacques, Sr.: Mr. Albano, your charges have been better behaved since their last return to the IWA. Is there any reason for that besides dumb luck?

Albano: Hah, funny you should use the word “dumb,” Rougeau.

The Tongan Terrors and Albano share a laugh. Jacques, Sr. does not look amused, but says nothing.

Albano: You see, I was right! The reason I asked for this time, Rougeau, is because my monsters and I have heard the rumblings of a tournament to be crowned the inaugural Quebec Television Tag Team champions. I just wanted to remind whoever might be in charge of that tournament what happened when we weren’t invited to the tournament to crown new Canadian International Tag Team champions.

The crowd boos Albano loudly.

Jacques, Sr.: I think we all remember that, Mr. Albano. I see now why you and your “monsters” have been so well-behaved. If you could call it that in any way other than by comparison to their earlier actions.

Albano: So you can put two and two together. How nice for you, Rougeau. I just want the fans to know this. These two monsters WILL be your first and ONLY television champions. Just imagine, Rougeau, no matter what we do there is no way that Frank Valois and his cronies can kick my monsters off of television! That means that the fans will be treated to these two monsters from the island of Tonga destroying their opponents week in and week out with impunity! What do you think about that?

More loud boos from the crowd.

Jacques, Sr.: I think the Can Am Express might have something to say about that. I’ve heard that they are involved in this tournament as well!

This changes the crowd’s booing to cheers.

Albano: Just when I thought you were learning. These fans I never had any hope for. You think we are worried about the Can Am Express? Just because those two have managed to not get absolutely annihilated by my monsters the last two times they met doesn’t mean they can beat us. These two monsters standing behind me are big, tough, more than capable men who have been DOMINANT since their arrival in the IWA. Do you really think a guy with a dropkick and his little buddy with karate kicks can stop them? Do you think that King Tonga, a man well-versed in the martial arts himself, more experienced, bigger and stronger, doesn’t trump Lafon? Let me tell you something, Lafon! I have heard your threats against me and they will not go unanswered. You are not on my list yet, but you’re close to being right up next to your buddy Brunzell! Just watch yourself before you make me or my monsters angry.

Albano sends Tonga John to the back as Jacques, Sr. exits the ring and makes his way back to the announce table. Jim Brunzell slaps hands with the fans on his way to the ring, getting a lot of cheers. Jacques, Sr. puts over Brunzell as a tough, athletic competitor who has been faced with a lot of challenges since arriving in the IWA.

Brunzell tries to get off to a fast start but is cut off by King Tonga headbutts. King Tonga uses his martial arts and brawling to punish Brunzell until the former Hi-Flyer comes back with European uppercuts and starts working the left leg of King Tonga. Tonga comes back with more headbutts, punches and chops, but a missed elbow drop gives Brunzell the opening to go right back to the leg. King Tonga fights his way out of a toe hold with more punches and an eye rake and starts working on Brunzell with nerve holds between headbutts and chops. Brunzell kicks King Tonga’s leg out from under him and goes for the figure four only to have King Tonga kick him to the ropes and blast him with a savate kick. Tonga covers and pulls an almost out Brunzell up at two and a half on Albano’s orders. The thumb is exposed, but Brunzell avoids the thumb spike and spins into a schoolboy for a surprise three count before sliding out of the ring.

Jim Brunzell wins by pinfall with a schoolboy 13:47

The crowd goes insane for Brunzell as he celebrates just past the guard rail. Tonga John runs out of the back to ambush Brunzell, but Lafon is close behind him, hitting him in the back with forearms just after he ambushes Brunzell. Tonga John retreats back to the ring after fending off both members of the Can Am Express and the two teams have a standoff as we go to commercial.

September 3rd, 1983, Paul Sauvé Arena, Montreal, QC
Jacques Rougeau & Invader 3 vs. Randy Rose & Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Phil Lafon vs. King Tonga
Raymond Rougeau & Invader 1 vs. Dennis Condrey & Mad Dog Lefebvre
Jim Brunzell vs. Tonga John
Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson
And more!

September 5th, 1983, Colisée de Saint-Jean, Saint-Sean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
The Can Am Express & Invader 1 vs. The Tongan Terrors & Mad Dog Lefebvre
Gino Brito & Tony Parisi vs. Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet
Tony Ricco vs. Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Dave Kochen vs. Goldie Rogers
And more!

Sep 6th, 1983, Palais des Sports, Granby, QC (2,000, sellout)
Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & Invader 3 vs. The Midnight Express & Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Rene Goulet vs. Tonga John
And more!

September 7th, 1983, Paul Sauvé Arena, Montreal, QC
The Can Am Express vs. Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
“The Farmer” Louis Laurence, Dave Kochen & Tony Ricco vs. Goldie Rogers, Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson
Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet vs. The Tongan Terrors
And more!

September 8th, 1983, Pavillon de la Jeunesse, Quebec City, QC
Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & the Invaders vs. The Midnight Express, Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Gino Brito & Tony Parisi vs. “The Farmer” Louis Laurence & Tony Ricco
And more!

September 9th, 1983, Colisée de Rimouski, Rimouski, QC
Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & Invader 1 vs. The Midnight Express & Mad Dog Lefebvre
Gino Brito & Tony Parisi vs. The Tongan Terrors
Invader 3, Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet vs. Gilles “The Fish” Poisson, Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson
And more!

35:30 - 58:30

We come back from commercial with Jacques, Sr. hyping the debut of a new tag team, Earth & Sky , as two Japanese men in masks are shown. One is wearing a white mask with a dark twister type design on either side and the other a black mask with a stone grey rock design on the face. Eddie Creatchman and the Midnight Express are in the ring with Jacques, Sr. when the camera cuts. The fans are booing all three and taunting them from ringside. The men in the ring seem unaffected by it.

Rougeau, Sr.: From what I hear, you and your team are no closer to being number one contenders for the Canadian International Tag Team Titles than you were two weeks ago, Eddie Creatchman.

Creatchman: You would be happy about that, Rougeau. You want to keep these men as far away from your boys as you can after the drubbing that Randy Rose gave Jacques last week.

The crowd shows Creatchman it’s disapproval.

Rougeau, Sr.: I think you overestimate how badly your man beat my son, Eddie Creatchman. And I think it’s time for a deserving team like Gino Brito and Tony Parisi or the Invaders to get a title shot.

The crowd cheers.

Creatchman: Oh yes, the Invaders. Gino Brito’s new best friends so you would make them out to be some kind of contenders. Guess what, the Midnight Express is the GREATEST tag team in all of wrestling. Whatever you say about Brito or the Invaders or the Can Am Express, they can not compare to these two men behind me. And tonight they are going to prove that. Again. And if Frank Valois and your idiot kids keep ignoring what I’m saying they will regret it. And so will you.

Rougeau, Sr.: Nothing you have done thus far has been effective, Eddie Creatchman. What makes you think that things will get any better?

Creatchman: You just leave all of that to me, Rougeau. I have everything well in hand, something you should know by now. These men behind me deserve far better than what the IWA is giving them. They are counting on me to get them the match and I KNOW they will make come out champions this time. Do you think I am going to fail these great wrestlers behind me by not getting them the titles they so richly deserve? You can bet that’s not the case.

The crowd boos Creatchman and the Midnight Express loudly again as Jacques, Sr. exits the ring and goes back to the announce table. Mad Dog Lefebvre comes out to the ring to loud boos and barks at the crowd. Jacques, Sr. talks about the recent issues between his sons and the Midnight Express as well as the Invaders and Lefebvre & Poisson as The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers and Invader 1 walk to the ring. The Rougeaus are proudly wearing their Canadian International Tag Team Titles.

Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & Invader 1 vs. The Midnight Express & Mad Dog Lefebvre

The Rougeaus bring the fight to the Midnight Express early, all six men in the ring right away before the heels clear out of the ring and talk things over with Creatchman. Condrey faces off with Raymond and ends up getting his arm worked over by the faces for a short while. Condrey reverses a whip by Jacques and decks him on the rebound before stomping away at him. The heels work Jacques over as the crowd voices their disapproval. Jacques makes a fired-up comeback only for Rose and Condrey to stomp a hole in him after illegal man Rose hits Jacques in the back with a few forearms. Head referee Adrian Desbois escorts Rose back to his corner and Condrey tags him in. Rose cuts off another Jacques comeback by kicking the leg out that he had worked on last week. Lefebvre was brought in and he cut off a Jacques comeback with biting and eye rakes before Jacques finally crawled between his legs and tagged in Invader 1. Invader 1 was a house afire when he hit the ring, hitting everything that moved and taking it down. The Midnight Express both get a hold of Invader 1 in the corner and allow Lefebvre to work him over. The heels work on Invader 1, Lefebvre ripping at his mask several times. Invader 1 fights back valiantly, but can’t seem to get over for a tag. When he finally nails Rose with a dropkick and tags Raymond, the place goes nuts. Raymond comes in hot and clears the ring of every opponent but Lefebvre. The two childhood friends brawl across the ring before Raymond slams Lefebvre down and tags in Invader 1. Invader 1 is all over Lefebvre, but Condrey hits the ring and blasts him from behind before knocking both Rougeaus off the apron. Desbois is trying to get Condrey back on the apron as Rose is setting Invader 1 up for Lefebvre’s second rope superplex. Rose knocks Raymond off the apron again as Jacques is still recovering. Desbois again escorts a member of the Midnight Express back to their corner. Invader 1 is fighting back, but Lefebvre rakes the eyes and hits the superplex for the three count on Invader 1.

Mad Dog Lefebvre over Invader 1 by pinfall after an assisted second rope superplex 19:36

The show goes off the air with Midnight Express, Creatchman and Lefebvre celebrating in the ring as the crowd boos. Creatchman makes the belt signal around his waist and points at his two charges as Jacques, Sr. Assures the fans that his sons and the Invaders will have their revenge.

Dark Matches
Pre-Show
Tony Parisi defeated Alex Gerrard with a flying senton
Tony Ricco defeated Dan Johnson with a crossbody
Goldie Rogers defeated Tim Gerrard with a neckbreaker
Armand Rougeau defeated Bobby Kay with a sleeper
Post-Show
Tonga John defeated Rene Goulet with a running big boot
Invader 3 defeated Gilles Poisson by disqualification followed by a brawl between the Invaders and Lefebvre & Poisson

International Wrestling, September 9th, 1983 (Taped September 7th, 1983 at the Palais des Sports, Sherbrooke, QC) 3,646 fans, sellout

Opening Matches

0:00 - 12:00

The opening credits cut to the Gerrard Brothers in the ring as Jacques, Sr. welcomes the fans to another great edition of International Wrestling. The Midnight Express and Eddie Creatchman emerge from the back to massive boos. Creatchman is verbally assaulting the fans at ringside as his charges get in the ring. Jacques, Sr. puts the Midnight Express over as a very dangerous tag team with a very crafty manager.

The Midnight Express vs. The Gerrard Brothers

The Midnight Express dominate from the start and don’t let up. Tim and Alex both do everything in their power to fight back, but are completely overwhelmed by Condrey and Rose. Rose hits his second rope powerslam after Condrey tags him to set up a big leg drop by Condrey on Tim Gerrard.

Condrey over Tim Gerrard by pinfall after a second rope powerslam/running leg drop combination 4:28

We cut to Jacques, Sr. as the ring begins to clear and he comments on the impressive victory tonight by the Midnight Express. He goes on to describe the interactions between the Midnight Express and the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers of late, pointing out that the Midnight Express do indeed seem to be getting the better of it. We cut back to the ring to the Kay Brothers awaiting their opponents. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers get a HUGE pop as they come out wearing their Canadian International Tag Team belts. Jacques, Sr. praises his boys for their continued effort and determination.

Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. The Kay Brothers

The Rougeaus steamroll the Kays in much the same way that the Midnights did the Gerrards. Raymond locks on a Quebec crab and Jacques comes off the top after a tag with a knee drop to Rudy kay’s back for the three.

Jacques Rougeau over Rudy Kay by pinfall after a crab/flying knee drop combination 4:26

Jacques, Sr. comments on the similarities between the two very impressive wins as well as contrasting the styles of the Midnight Express and his sons. He then runs down the rest of the card before we go to commercial.

Commercial Break

12:00 - 28:00

We come back from commercial to Jacques, Sr. at the announce table. He talks about the four team tournament to determine who the Quebec Television tag Team champions will be. The tournament starts tonight with two matches, the first of which is up next. He Tongan Terrors are the first out with Albano in tow as the crowd jeers loudly. Albano argues with the first row of the crowd as his charges get in the ring. Jacques Sr. commends Albano for his tactics in getting the Terrors into the tournament. Their opponents are Armand Rougeau & rene Goulet, who get a lot of cheers from the crowd. Jacques, Sr. has nothing but good things to say about his son, who has surely earned his place in this tournament.

Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet vs. The Tongan Terrors

Armand starts out hot, hitting Tonga John with right hands followed by a dropkick to stagger the big man. This sends John back to his corner where King Tonga tags himself in and takes over the match. Neither Rougeau nor Goulet can put a dent in King Tonga and he sends Armand to the floor with a big chop before starting in on Goulet. The Tongans work Goulet over for a long while, with Armand growing restless to help his partner on the apron. Goulet makes several comebacks that get cut off and finally gets back to Armand and makes the tag. Rougeau is a house afire and he takes on both Tonga John and King Tonga, staggering both men with punches. King Tonga reverses a whip to the corner only to catch a back elbow when Armand springs off the second rope. Armand dropkicks King Tonga to the outside and the faces go to work on Tonga John’s arm to neutralize his strength and brawling. Albano finally has enough and orders King Tonga into the ring, where he destroys Goulet, who had been working an armbar, barely beating referee Pierre Bertrand’s five count back out of the ring. Tonga John takes over on Goulet after hitting a running big boot to send Armand off the apron. Armand is down and out on the floor after hitting the guard rail and Goulet can’t fend off both Tongans alone. He is caught with a savate kick from King Tonga, who tags Tonga John already on top. John comes crashing down with a flying headbutt for the three count on Goulet.

Tonga John over Rene Goulet after a savate kick/flying headbutt combination 13:48

Jacques, Sr. Gives the Tongan Terrors their due for being a dominating tag team, but dreads the idea of them becoming television champions. The two big Tongan wrestlers and Albano celebrate as we go to commercial.

Commercial Break

28:00 - 39:30

We return from commercial to Jacques, Sr. in the ring with Goldie Rogers, Richard Charland & Dan Johnson. Charland is proudly displaying his Quebec Heavyweight Title. Rogers is pacing back and forth with a scowl on his face.

Jacques, Sr.: I’m going to let Mr. Rogers settle down a little and first talk to you, Mr. Charland. You don’t seem overly interested in facing Louis Laurence in the ring.

Charland: I don’t see why I should have to. I won this belt in a match with him. That means I have to go through all the other contenders first.

Jacques, Sr.: Does it also mean that you need to cheat to win most of your matches and avoid Laurence even in non-title matches?

Charland: I don’t like your tone and I don’t have to stand for this! I am the Quebec Heavyweight champion, the first and ONLY Quebec Heavyweight champion.

Jacques, Sr.: Now wait a minute-

Charland walks away from Jacques, Sr. as Rogers stalks in between the two, grabbing Jacqus, Sr.’s hand and talking into the mic.

Rogers: Listen up, Jack and listen good!

Jacques, Sr. is again annoyed at Rogers’ getting his name wrong, but Rogers doesn’t seem to care.

Rogers: On Monday in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richileu that sneaky little Dave Kochen took advantage of my being distracted and rolled me up for a cheap three count! I will not accept that as my first loss in the IWA.

Jacques, Sr.: My recollection is that you were busy trying to impress some women in the front row when Kochen rolled you up. He in no way grabbed your tights or did anything illegal.

Rogers: You don’t get it, Jack! (another glare from Rougeau) These fans come here to see me win. They aren’t here to watch Kochen sneak up on me and get a quick three count.

Jacques, Sr.: I don’t recall the count being fast at all. And it seems to me if you are that worried about winning you might spend less time worrying about the fans at ringside.

Rogers: I’m getting tired of talking to you myself, Jack. Why don’t you scramble back to your little table and watch me show Kochen what happens when you cross me!

Louis Laurence, Dave Kochen & Tony Ricco emerge from the curtain to a good amount of cheers and slap any hands offered to them on the way to the ring. Jacques, Sr. talks up both Laurence and Kochen as the future stars of the IWA after returning to the announce table

Louis Laurence, Dave Kochen & Tony Ricco vs. Goldie Rogers, Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson

Kochen and Rogers start off, with Rogers in no way backing down when Kochen hits a few punches. Rogers exchanges punches with Kochen for a short while before going to the eyes and using the top rope to rake Kochen’s eyes. The heels work over Kochen for a short time before he tags in Laurence at the same time Johnson tags in Charland. Charland immediately tags out to Rogers as the crowd boos. Rogers takes a few punches and elbows from a fired-up Laurence before tagging to Johnson and rolling to the floor to check his face. Johnson is the victim of a series of quick tags by the faces, but moves as Kochen tries a running shoulder in the corner. He tags in Rogers, who comes in with vicious right hands and stomps to Kochen’s face before attacking Laurence on the apron. Rogers gets a warning from referee Andre Roy before pointing out that Laurence had punched him in the face before and tagging in Charland, who also takes a cheap shot at Laurence to draw the crowd’s and Roy’s ire. Charland continues working over Kochen before tagging Johnson, who pulls Kochen out of the ring and slams him back first into the ring apron. Johnson gets back in the ring and distracts Roy while Rogers slams Kochen’s head into the post twice and rolls him back in. The heels work over the cut for a while before Ricco and Laurence have had enough. The match threatens to turn into a no contest, but Johnson sends Ricco out of the ring at the same time that Charland drapes Laurence over the top rope from the apron, leaving the legal men Rogers and Kochen in the ring. Charland drags Laurence out to the floor and sends him crashing into the guard rail as Johnson hits a power slam on the floor to Ricco. Rogers, who has been working the cut despite a short comeback from Kochen, hooks what looks like a swinging neckbreaker before wagging his finger “no” and rolling into an inside cradle, grabbing the tights for extra leverage to get the three.

Rogers over Kochen by pinfall with an inside cradle (grabbing the tights) 9:06

Jacques, Sr. Is incensed by the tactics of Charland and Rogers in the match and knows that Laurence, Kochen and Ricco will have better days. He is also sure that Charland can’t hold on to the Quebec Heavyweight Title very long given how he carries himself. He has to believe that Dave Kochen will not take this lying down.

September 11th, 1983, Moncton Coliseum, Moncton, NB, Joint show with MLW
The Can Am Express & Armand Rougeau vs. The Tongan Terrors & Hurricane Kamiguchi
Stonehead Ishimoto vs. Rene Goulet
Tony Ricco vs. Dan Johnson
Gino Brito & Tony Parisi in action!

September 12th, 1983, Halifax Metro Centre, Halifax, NS, Joint show with MLW
The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers defend their Canadian International Tag Team Championships against the Midnight Express
The Invaders vs. Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
“The Farmer” Louis Laurence & Dave Kochen vs. Goldie Rogers & Richard Charland

September 13th, 1983, Aitken Centre, Fredericton, NB
Invader 3 & The Can Am Express vs. The Tongan Terrors & Mad Dog Lefebvre
Invader 1, Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet vs. Gilles “The Fish” Poisson & Earth and Sky
Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson
Tony Parisi vs. Dave Kochen
And more!

September 14th, 1983, Colisée de Rimouski, Rimouski, QC
The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & Invader 1 vs. The Midnight Express & Mad Dog Lefebvre
Gino Brito & Tony Parisi vs. The Can Am Express
Armand Rougeau, Rene Goulet & Dave Kochen vs. Earth and Sky & Mr. Saito
Hercules Ayala vs. Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Invader 3 vs. Goldie Rogers
“The Farmer” Louis Laurence & Tony Ricco vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson

September 15th, 1983, Centre Georges-Vézina, Saguenay, QC
Invader 1 & The Can Am Express vs. The Tongan Terrors & Mad Dog Lefebvre
Gino Brito, Invader 3 & Rene Goulet vs. Gilles “The Fish” Poisson & Earth and Sky
Tony Parisi vs. Goldie Rogers
And more!

September 16th, 1983, Pavillon de la Jeunesse, Quebec City, QC
The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & Phil Lafon vs. The Midnight Express & Mad Dog Lefebvre
Jim Brunzell vs. Gilles “The Fish” Poisson
Rene Goulet & “The Farmer” Louis Laurence vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champions Richard Charland & Dan Johnson
Dave Kochen vs. Tony Ricco
And more!

39:30 - 60:00

We come back from commercial with Jacques, Sr. hyping the debut of a new tag team, Earth & Sky , as two Japanese men in masks are shown. One is wearing a white mask with a dark twister type design on either side and the other a black mask with a stone grey rock design on the face. Mad Dog Lefebvre and Gilles Poisson are on their way to the ring when the camera cuts. Jacques, Sr. Talks about how the winner of this match will face the Tongan Terrors on October 1st in the Montreal Forum for the Quebec Television tag Team Titles. Jacques, Sr. doesn’t much care for the idea of either the Tongan terrors or Lefebvre and Poisson as champions. The Can Am Express comes out was the crowd cheers their approval. They slap hands with the fans on their way to the ring as Jacques, Sr. talks about them in glowing terms.

The Can Am Express vs. Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles Poisson

Lafon and Brunzell came out on a tear, rolling through whatever Lefebvre or Poisson threw at them. Poisson finally caught a too aggressive Lafon by picking him up off the ropes and dropping him throat-first across the ropes. The heels worked over Lafon with clubs, stomps and some Lefebvre biting. Lefebvre put Lafon in a surfboard that Lafon hit an upside down dropkick to escape, but couldn’t make the tag as he took too long to recover. Another chance came for Lafon when he hit a jumping spinkick on Poisson, but the big man dragged him away from the tag by his tights inches away from Brunzell’s hand. Lafon finally made the tag, but head referee Adrian Desbois never saw it as Poisson had pulled him over to argue with him about Lafon’s use of kicks. Lafon finally tagged in Brunzell, who had a big brawl with Lefebvre in the ring, clearing both Lefebvre and Poisson out eventually. Lafon flew off the ring apron with a crossbody onto Lefebvre on the floor before Brunzell slammed the Mad Dog down on the concrete. Desbois almost counted both teams out, but Brunzell managed to break the count and roll back out of the ring. Poisson caught Brunzell with a few rights as referee Desbois yelled at all four on the outside to get into the ring. Brunzell was whipped to the railing by Poisson, who followed up with a series of stomps and both Lafon and Poisson rolled their partners into the ring. Both Brunzell and Lefebvre made tags and Lafon caught Poisson with several karate kicks to knock him back into the corner. Poisson charged out of the corner with a clothesline as Lafon charged in and caught him flush. Lafon barely kicked out, but rolled Poisson up with an inside cradle for three when Poisson went to pick him up after arguing with Desbois about the count.

Lafon over Poisson with an inside cradle 15:52

The four exhausted participants in the match don’t push the matter any further, all four beaten and battered after a brutal contest. The Tongan Terrors with Albano far behind run down to ringside and start attacking both Lafon and Brunzell, King Tonga banging Brunzell’s head off of the ringpost and opening up a cut. Tonga John hits a running big boot to send Lafon over the guard rail after whipping him into it and both Tongans go to work on Brunzell. Albano laughs in Brunzell’s face standing above him and talks trash as the Terrors stomp away on Brunzell. Jacques, Sr. calls for whatever reinforcements can come as the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers, Gino Brito &Tony Parisi, the Invaders as well as all of the referees and security come running out. The Terrors have Brunzell held between them as Albano slaps him across the face between punches to the cut. The Terrors and Albano let go of Brunzell and leave ringside just before the reinforcements arrive and Jacques, Sr. is condemning the actions of Albano and the Tongan Terrors as the show goes off the air.

Dark Matches
Post-show

The Invaders start in on Lefebvre and Poisson until Brito gets on the house mic and asks them to stop, challenging them to a match.

Gino Brito & Tony Parisi go to a double count-out with the Invaders after which both teams shake hands and play to the crowd in the ring.

Great buildup for each of the "Big 4" tag teams. If any promotion needs two tag belts, it's Montreal. And now Earth & Sky can add some more fun to divisions.

Charland and Rogers continue to be entertaining. I think what I'm most interested in for the future of Montreal is seeing how an outside major name fits in with all your talent. I know Mad Dog Vachon has been making appearances and continuing deals like that for a few dates at a time for big singles names would be pretty amazing for Montreal.

TY for the feedback. I'm actually two weeks out from my TV ceasing to be buildup of guys who need it. Next week's show sets the table for the explosion in the Midnights vs. Rougeaus feud and this last one continues the more intense rivalry between the Can Ams and Tongans. Rogers is an unexpected success that I have tried to capitalize on. Really every TV from the 9th on is meant as a go-home show for the 1st of October. And after that show the promotion is what I want it to be fully, not me trying to establish the hierarchy and feuds.

I have no idea what the next big outside name is going to be, but I definitely enjoy the whole arc I did with Vachon. The finale to it is my favorite thing to write so far. Mainly because it's the actual finish to something rather than moving towards something else.

International Wrestling, September 16th, 1983 (taped September 14th, 1983, at the Colisée de Rimouski, Rimouski, QC ) 4,700 fans

0:00 - 9:30

The opening credits lead into a shot of the ring with Louis Laurence and Tony Ricco emerging from the curtain to a good reaction from the crowd. The two young men slap hands with the fans around the entrance aisle. Jacques, Sr. welcomes us to another great night of International Wrestling and points out that Laurence has beaten Richard Charland cleanly since Charland won the Quebec Heavyweight Title, but not for said title. Charland and his tag partner Dan Johnson come out next and the crowd boos. Jacques, Sr. has nothing good to say about Charland or Johnson, disapproving of their tactics thus far. Charland is pointing at the belt and raising his arms, looking right at Laurence as he does so.

Louis Laurence & Tony Ricco vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson

Ricco starts the match out and immediately attacks Johnson’s leg. Ricco & Laurence work Johnson’s leg over until Charland uses his boot to rake Ricco’s eyes from the apron. Charland starts laying in a beating on Ricco, who comes back and tags in Laurence. Charland runs back to his corner and tags in Johnson despite the damge done to his partner’s leg before hastily exiting the ring to the floor. The faces again work over Johnson’s leg and seem to be on the verge of putting him away when Charland stops a Laurence half crab on Johnson with a running boot to the face. Charland works on Laurence for a bit before Laurence turns things around and puts on a headlock. Charland backs himself into a corner and catches a boot to the gut from an enraged Laurence, trips him up and leverages himself into a prawn hold using the second rope for the three.

Richard Charland over Louis Laurence by pinfall with his feet on the second rope 8:44

Jacques, Sr. is disgusted with the way that match turned out and agrees with the fans as they boo Charland heartily. Jacques, Sr. takes time to run down the remaining matches on the card before we go to commercial.

Commercial break

9:00 - 18:30

Jacques, Sr. welcomes the fans back to International wrestling, recapping Charland’s theft of a win over Laurence in the opening match. The camera cuts to the ring where Goldie Rogers is halfway down the aisle. The fans are booing him, and it only gets louder as he stops to grind his hips at several women in the front row. Jacques, Sr. is clearly irritated by Rogers and suggests the young man needs an attitude change. Invader 3 walks to the ring as the fans cheer loudly. The Puerto Rican wrestler soaks in the adulation as Jacques Sr. puts him over as a tough, athletic competitor.

Invader 3 vs. Goldie Rogers

Invader 3 runs into a drop toe hold by the arrogant youngster when the masked man charges in too quickly. Rogers works a headlock for a while, Invader 3 trying several escapes before sending Rogers off the ropes and dropping down before leapfrogging and nailing Rogers with a dropkick. Rogers staggers up in a corner only to take more than a few right hands from the hyper-aggressive Invader 3. Rogers weathers the storm and rolls out of the ring, checking his face for damage or blood. Referee Andre Roy reaches an 8 count before Rogers rolls into the ring and right back out. Roy is unhappy with Rogers, but Rogers shouts back that he “won’t have some masked moron ruining my face.” Invader 3 gets too aggressive when Rogers gets back up on the apron and ends up being draped throat-first across the top rope. Rogers goes to work with vicious punches followed by attempts at ripping Invader 3’s mask. Invader 3 finally has enough and comes roaring back with right hands before getting a nearfall on a crossbody. Invader starts softening up Rogers’ midsection with punches, but the young Canadian goes to the eyes and tries for a neckbreaker. Invader 3 shoves Rogers off the ropes and hits a back body drop, following with a senton after hitting the ropes for the three.

Invader 3 over Goldie Rogers by pinfall after a running senton 7:58

Jacques, Sr. Is impressed with Invader 3’s win and notes that Rogers did put up a good fight, despite his refusal to get hit in the face, as the crowd cheers for Invader 3.

Commercial break

18:30 - 28:30

The camera is on the ring as we return from commercial, with Gilles Poisson slowly making his way down the aisle as the crowd boos. Jacques, Sr. is critical of Poisson for using the tactics he does when he has such a big size advantage over most competitors in the IWA. Hercules Ayala, a stocky, very well-muscled Puerto Rican, comes out to a moderate reaction from the crowd. Jacques, Sr. recounts Ayala’s previous win in the IWA, pointing out the many strength based spots and questioning whether Ayala can do the same against a man he is giving up ten to fifteen pounds to.

Hercules Ayala vs. Gilles Poisson

Ayala starts the match off big, unloading right hands and slamming the bigger man down right away. Poisson eventually makes a comeback after several more strength spots, going to the eyes when Ayala tries to use a bearhug on him. Poisson proceeds to use every dirty trick in the book, raking Ayala’s eyes across the top rope, pulling the hair to keep an armbar on, attacks off of rope breaks, etc. while working over Ayala’s left arm. Ayala makes a comeback, but tries an overhead slam only to barely kick out as the 280 pound Poisson falls on top of him for a cover when his left arm gives out. Poisson tries a bearhug, but Ayala is too close to the ropes. Poisson refuses to let go of the hold, which leads to Ayala raking the eyes headbutting him to break the hold. Poisson is up faster, but has his legs pulled out from under him by Ayala. Ayala wants a crab hold, but Poisson grabs the ropes and pulls himself under them. Ayala stomps furiously at Poisson’s midsection before dragging him back into the ring after breaking at head referee Adrian Desbois’ four count. Ayala gets a HUGE pop as he gets Poisson up for the press slam, bounces off the ropes and leaps into the air to come crashing down on Poisson for the three.

Hercules Ayala over Gilles Poisson by pinfall with a running body splash 7:17

Jacques, Sr. puts over the magnitude of Ayala’s quick victory over a competitor like Poisson, who used all of his guile in that match. He then begrudgingly gives the veteran Poisson credit for pushing the much younger Ayala to his limits in such a short time. Ayala celebrates in the ring, flexing as the crowd cheers.

Commercial Break

28:30 - 45:00

Lou Albano, sans the Tongan Terrors again following their actions last week, is in the interview area with Jacques, Sr. as we come back from break.

Jacques, Sr.: Mr. Albano, it seems like you never learn.

Albano: Hah! Good one, Rougeau! I like when you make jokes, much better than that stuffy, condescending crap I usually get from you.

Jacques, Sr. shakes his head.

Albano: It is fun to mess with you, Rougeau. But I’m here to talk about how my monsters are going to win the Television Tag Titles on October 1st. And I you don’t need to take my word for it. Look at everything they’ve done, including destroying the Can Am Express last week! Nobody can touch them.

Jacques, Sr.: I would like to point out that both Lafon and Brunzell had been involved in an intense tag team match to get themselves into the same match you’re talking about on the 1st. And you are conveniently forgetting how your “monsters” were matched blow for blow y the Can Am Express some weeks ago in that wild six man tag.

Albano: *laughs* And I would like to point out that you are indeed full of good humor today, Jacques, Sr.! I’m starting to like our little talks. I’m not worried about the Can Am Express or Phil Lafon’s constant threats against me. Threats that I think you and I agree are completely out of line.

Jacques, Sr.: *reluctantly* I hesitate to endorse attacking a non-wrestler. That is something that we need to talk about, Mr. -

Albano: Wait, wait. Mr. Rougeau, we are having such a nice conversation, why woud you want to ruin it with-

Albano runs off and the Can Am Express quickly appear on camera. Jacques, Sr. is as quick as ever to adapt.

Jacques, Sr.: It is understandable that you two aren’t very happy with Mr. Albano, but I’m not sure I like you interrupting his interview time.

Lafon: We’re sorry, Jacques, Sr., but after what we’ve been through at his hands the man needs to pay.

Brunzell: His “monsters” need to pay more. Come October 1st we are going to show the world that they can be beaten!

The Can Am Express storm off in the same direction Albano ran as the camera cuts to the ring. Armand Rougeau, Rene Goulet & Dave Kochen are heading to the ring as the crowd cheers loudly. Jacques, Sr. is back at the announce table to comment that he is glad Kochen is able to spend time in the ring with a respected veteran like Rene Goulet. Mr. Saito, Hurricane Kamiguchi & Stomehead Ishimoto come out to boos, mostly for Mr. Saito. The two masked men are put over by Jacques, Sr. as respected veterans from Japan.

Armand Rougeau, Rene Goulet & Dave Kochen vs. Earth and Sky & Mr. Saito

Goulet and Saito start the match out with matwork and some brawling. Armand and Kamiguchi have a few minutes of fast-paced action before both tag. Kochen and Ishimoto brawl a little after exchanging arm holds, with Ishimoto throwing a few chest slaps followed by a right hand that Kochen comes firing back from. The masked Japanese man blocks a punch and lands another right hand before putting on a headlock to control Kochen. The Japanese team works over Kochen’s neck for a while, cutting off several tag attempts. Kochen finally tags Rougeau, who is a house afire and clears the Japanese team from the ring. Kamiguchi is the victim of some quick tags by the faces, but Saito interference puts Kochen in jeopardy again. The teams trade some wild nearfalls before Ishimoto loads up his mask with something out of his trunks as referee Pierre Bertrand escorts Goulet and Armand out of the ring, hitting a headbutt on Kochen for the three count. Kochen has a small trickle of blood running down his forehead post-match.

Stonehead Ishimoto over Dave Kochen by pinfall after loaded mask headbutt 12:30

Jacques, Sr. cannot believe what he just saw, dismayed at the use of an illegal object to get the pinfall. He is disgusted and hopes that isn’t the best that this team from Japan has to offer. Goldie Rogers is halfway to ringside as the ring clears, taunting a dazed Kochen and grinding his hips at women in the front row. Jacques, Sr. is glad that Armand Rougeau and Rene Goulet are with Kochen, keeping Rogers from attacking.

45:00 - 62:00

Jacques, Sr. talks again about how disgusted he is with Ishimoto and his tactics as The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers and Invader 1 get a HUGE pop entering the arena floor. Jacques, Sr. is happy to see Invader 1 teaming with his sons, he can be sure they will hold up their end of a match. The Rougeaus are wearing their Canadian International Tag Team Titles around their waists. Mad Dog Lefebvre, along with Eddie Creatchman, comes out of the curtain and the crowd starts booing. Jacques, Sr. is wondering where the Midnight Express is when suddenly he is interrupted and begins talking with someone.

Jacques, Sr.: They are WHAT?

Pause

Jacques, Sr.: Run down and tell Jacques & Raymond, tell them where!

A man in a shirt matching that worn by security at ringside is seen sprinting down to the ring and he talks to the Rougeaus. Jacques, Sr. is fuming at Eddie Creatchman on commentary, telling the fans there is a cameraman catching the action backstage and that next week they will find out what is happening as the Rougeaus run out of the ring to the back. Lefebvre and Invader 1, left alone in the ring, charge one another and start brawling as the crowd goes nuts.

Lefebvre and Invader 1 continued the brawl until the Midnight Express ran out to the ring from the back and started triple teaming Invader 1 with Lefebvre. The Rougeaus emerged from the back a few minutes later, but Invader 1 was in bad shape. Jacques and Raymond cleared the ring, allowing Invader 1 to tag in to Raymond. Raymond and Jacques were on fire, taking out Lefebvre and Rose while tagging in and out, but jacques got caught with a few right hands from both Rose and Lefebvre on the apron while he was dealing with Condrey. Condrey hit a big backbreaker on Jacques and the heels triple teamed Rougeau, working over his back. Jacques made several fiery comebacks only to have the Midnight Express cut him off, finally tagging Raymond, who hit the ring on fire. The Midnights got off the apron quickly, leaving Lefebvre to take Raymond’s fury. The faces worked over Lefebvre, but Invader 1 was stillnot fully recovered and ended up taking a few good shots in an exchange with Lefebvre, forcing both to tag out. Rose fell quickly to Raymond’s right hands and narrowly avoided a sleeper by ducking under and turning it into a Raymond headlock. Raymond used a hiplock takedown to set up a few more right hands on the mat and tagged in Jacques. Jacques looked like he was ready to set up his Quebec crab hold, but Rose kicked him off and hit a powerslam after dropping down to set up a second rope reverse splash nearfall. Jacques was set up on the heel turnbuckle and Rose climbed up while Condrey and Lefebvre held him in place. Head referee Adrian Desbois kept Raymond and Invader 1 on their side of the ring despite their protests and Rose hit the second rope powerslam, Condrey tagging in as Rose picked Jacques up. Condrey bounced off the ropes with a big leg drop and covered Jacques for the three.

Dennis Condrey over Jacques Rougeau by pinfall after a second rope powerslam/leg drop combination 14:30

Jacques, Sr. Is beside himself after the match as the Midnight Express, Creatchman and Lefebvre celebrate, the crowd booing them very loudly. He can’t believe that even Eddie Creatchman would stoop so low and reminds the fans to tune in next week and find out what happened before the match. He says that it cost his boys tonight, but it will cost the Midnight Express in the end. Creatchman is talking trash to the fans at ringside as his team pushes Jacques out of the ring to the floor where Raymond and Invader 1 help him to his feet. Lefebvre is barking as Creatchman and the Midnight Express exit the ring and start to the back. Creatchman starts jawing again with some fans while holding up the arms of his team as the show ends.

Dark Matches
Post-Show
Gino Brito & Tony Parisi defeated the Can Am express when Lafon, the legal man, chased Lou Albano to the back after Albano had come halfway down the entrance aisle to massive boos.

Good mix of Puerto Rican and Japanese talent adding some pizazz to the TV.

Main event is a perfect example of the type of top-notch TV mains that would happen with such a strong tag division. And I can't wait to find out what happened before the match.

I also really like Albano managing the Tongans.

Liked the squash heavy September 9th show. Midnights and Rougeaus both benefited from the strong TV wins. Dug the Richard Charland interview, I always loved the heel getting mad about the interviewers questions and walking off. Goldie Rogers being there to interject himself was great too. Love the running Jacques/Jack joke. Cool to see all your top 4 teams get big wins on TV. Really strong episode of TV.

I really like how much you've developed Richard Charland and the Louis Laurence feud. Liked seeing Charland getting another cheap win on the episode aired on the 16th. The Invader 3/Goldie Rogers match was good stuff with Rogers doing the "don't touch the face" gimmick that I always like. Liked the 6 man tag and the surprise appearance by my man Mr. Saito. One of these days he might even show up in Southwest. Good Albano promo and I'm looking forward to what happened backstage with the Midnight Express although I have an idea of what it was.

International Wrestling, September 23rd, 1983 (Taped September 21st, 1983, at the Colisée de Trois-Rivieres, Trois-Rivieres, QC) 3,500 fans, sellout

0:00 - 14:00

The opening montage brings us to Jacques, Sr. at the announce table, welcoming us to another edition of International Wrestling. His tone is angry as he tells the fans they will now see a video of what pulled the Rougeaus away from their match last week. The camera cuts to a camera man running a little unsteadily only to find the Midnight Express attacking a face-down Armand Rougeau, Condrey stomping away at the back of his neck in between Condrey hitting the same spot with the edge of a folding chair. Jacques and Raymond Rougeau come running up in the background, with the Midnight Express taking off. The elder Rougeau brothers help load their brother on a gurney before turning it over to the medical personnel and running back towards the ring. The camera cuts back to Jacques, Sr.

Jacques, Sr.: My youngest son, Armand, was taken to the hospital to see if he sustained any neck injuries. He is recovering from a minor injury that will keep him out at least until early October. I cannot believe that even Eddie Creatchman would stoop so low as to orchestrate this kind of attack on my son. My other sons, Raymond and Jacques, Jr., have demanded that they get a match with the Midnight Express on October 1st. It seems to me that this is exactly what Eddie Creatchman and the Midnight Express wanted, but I understand my sons wanting to get revenge for what happened to their brother.

The camera cuts to the ring where Etienne Bergeron is awaiting his opponent. Rene Goulet comes out of the back to cheers and Jacques, Sr. is happy to see the respected veteran.

Rene Goulet vs. Etienne Bergeron

Goulet is dominant from bell to bell, having his way with Bergeron. He finishes Bergeron off with a scorpion claw hold without breaking a sweat.

Rene Goulet over Etienne Bergeron by pinfall with a scorpion claw hold 4:31

Jacques, Sr. gives Goulet credit for an impressive victory before talking about the rest of the matches on the card tonight. He says there is a major announcement regarding the October 1st Montreal Forum show later tonight in addition to the tag titles match and to stay tuned! The camera cuts back to the ring with Dave Kochen, halfway down the aisle. Kochen is greeted warmly by the fans if not overly loudly. Jacques, Sr. talks about Kochen’s potential and his lethal abdominal stretch. Goldie Rogers is out next, strutting on his way to the ring and paying attention to the female fans in the first few rows. He points at Kochen and immediately gets serious. Jacques, Sr. recounts Rogers’ actions two weeks ago in the six man tag match.

Rogers starts off hot, laying into Kochen, who comes firing back with rights. Kochen hits a dropkick and a few elbow drops to take control. Rogers starts to cower away from the punches to the face before hitting a low blow as referee Andre Roy moves Kochen away from the corner. Kochen makes several desperate comeback attempts as Rogers works him over viciously, but can’t quite recover from the low blow. Rogers continually taunts the fans, asking them how they can cheer for a weakling and a sneak. Rogers is able to hit the neckbreaker with relative ease for the three count.

Goldie Rogers over Dave Kochen by pinfall with the neckbreaker 6:48

Post-match Rogers stomps away at Kochen befoe being shoved off by Roy and head referee Adrian Desbois, who runs out from the back. Rogers taunts both Kochen and the crowd from ringside before sidling up to a woman in the front row with an angry-looking (and slightly bigger than Rogers) man sitting next to her and grinding his hips at her. Jacques, Sr. is disgusted by Rogers’ actions and hopes Kochen will be more wary of Rogers’ dirty tactics in the future.

Commercial Break

14:00 - 23:00

Lou Albano and the Tongan terrors are in the ring with Jacques, Sr. when we return from commercial. Albano is looking gleeful tonight. The fans at ringside are booing the two big Tongans and their manager loudly, some throwing garbage at them.

Jacques, Sr.: You are in a rare good mood Mr. Albano. It seems you are happy to have your charges back?

Albano: You read my mind, Mr. Rougeau. I love having these guys here so much, I almost want to stop making management angry for a while. HAH. Almost.

Jacques, Sr.: I wonder if you could do that if you tried, Mr. Albano.

Albano: HAH! It turns out I do like you, Jacques, Sr.

Jacques, Sr.: That’s good to know, Mr. Albano, I understand you asked for this interview time. I hope I don’t regret asking you what for.

Albano: I think you and all of these fans, as clueless as they are, know exactly why I’m out here. The Can Am Express has been threatening ME because they are scared of my monsters. They think they can gain some kind of advantage going into our match for the Quebec Television Titles on October 1st by doing that I imagine. Well let me tell you this, Phil Lafon. My monsters are bigger, badder and meaner than you could ever be. And I would put money on King Tonga being every bit the athlete you are. Tonga John is a tough, strong, brutal man and neither one has the least bit of mercy or fear. Brunzell and Lafon have guts, I’ll give them that. But they need to think things through. These men behind me are monsters! Lafon, Brunzell or both could very easily have heir career ended because we have no intention of stopping once we get a three count.

Jacques, Sr.: Mr. Albano, I think you underestimate both Lafon and Brunzell. They have proven to be very resilient, skilled competitors in the IWA.

Albano: And these monsters behind me? Have they proven to be brutal, vicious and willing to hurt people? Have they proven to be double tough? Can you honestly say you’ve seen them on the short end of a beating?

Jacques, Sr.: I can’t disagree with any of that, Mr. Albano. Your team is indeed very formidable. There are many who would call them out of control and dangerous, myself among them.

Albano: Then you’re not as blind as I used to think you were. They are dangerous, and they are out of your control. They listen to me. They are. My. Monsters. They will be your TV champions and this crowd’s, and anyone watching’s TV champions. You won’t like it and we won’t care. Nothing you, the fans or Lafon and Brunzell do can change that.

Jacques, Sr. exits the ring as the crowd starts throwing more trash in the ring at Albano and the Terrors. Bobby and Rudy Kay come out to a small amount of cheers, very likely because of who is in the ring. Jacques, Sr. returns to the announce table and puts over the Kays as valiant competitors, but very overmatched.

The Tongan Terrors vs. The Kay Brothers

The Terrors destroy the Kays after an initial barrage from both Kay brothers goes almost unnoticed by Tonga John. Rudy Kay gets an armbar on King Tonga later on only to take a brutal headbutt and crumple. King Tonga tags in Tonga John, who climbs up top. A savate kick from King sets up John for a flying headbutt that gets a three count.

Tonga John over Rudy Kay by pinfall after a savate kick/flying headbutt combination 4:24

The Tongan Terrors celebrate post-match as the crowd boos and throws more garbage. They head to the back with Jacques, Sr. putting over the Tongan Terrors as monsters. His tone changes as Louis Laurence and Tony Ricco come flying back through the curtain to land in the aisle with the Terrors close after. Albano is directing his charges to beat up the two young wrestlers and slam their heads into the railing that flanks the aisle as Jacques, Sr. is calling for security. Laurence and Ricco are both bloody and Albano is directing his team to continue the punishment, Tonga John holding Laurence up for a King Tonga thumb spike. A fan gets too close at ringside and King Tonga kicks the railing at him. Security, all three referees and half the locker room finally come pouring out of the back to restrain the Terrors and we go to commercial.

Commercial Break

23:00 - 30:00

We come back from commercial to Jacques, Sr. recapping the Tongan Terrors latest offense against the IWA. Laurence and Ricco were scheduled in this match, but they had to see the doctor in back after the beating they received at the hands of the Tongan Terrors. The camera cuts to the ring where the Gerrard Brothers are awaiting their opponents. Stonehead Ishimoto and Hurricane Kamiguchi come out of the ring to boos. Jacques, Sr. reminds the fans of their TV debut last week in which Ishimoto put something in his mask and headbutted Dave Kochen for a tainted win.

Hurricane Kamiguchi & Stonehead Ishimoto vs. The Gerrard Brothers

The Japanese team starts off with Kamiguchi looking for a Greco-Roman knuckle lock and kicking Tim Gerrard in the gut. The veteran masked men work over Gerrard’s back and ribs for a while, cutting of a few attempts at a tag. Alex Gerrard gets a nice run of punches on Ishimoto before Kamiguchi hits a neckbreaker on him as the illegal man and the Japanese team works over Alex’s neck. Alex is able to make a tag to Tim, who is in no condition to make a comeback. Kamiguchi grabs the young man as Ishimoto tags him, hitting a spinning Samoan drop in the center of the ring. Ishimoto loads up the mask as referee Pierre Bertrand chases Kamiguchi out of the ring and falls straight into a headbutt to the ribs of the downed Tim Gerrard for three.

Stonehead Ishimoto over Tim Gerrard by pinfall after an airplane spin Samoan drop/falling headbutt combination 5:07

Jacques, Sr. is once again incensed at the tactics of the Japanese veterans. He knows that this tactic will backfire on them eventually and hopes he is watching when it does. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers are up next, don’t go away!

Commercial Break

30:00 - 40:30

We come back to a shot of the ring after commercial. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland and Dan Johnson come out to a good amount of boos, Charland doing everything he can to get the crowd to notice his belt. Jacques, Sr. wishes Richard Charland would treat that belt with some dignity. He believes the title does not make the man, but the other way around. Jacques, Sr. points to his sons as examples of this as they come out to a massive pop with their titles around their waists.

Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson

Charland is stalling from the get-go, not wanting to tangle with either Rougeau. Finally he locks up with Jacques only to rake the eyes, throw a few rights and tag out to Johnson. A very angry Jacques runs over Johnson before tagging in Raymond, who begins working over Johnson’s back and ribs. Charland is able to turn the tide in Johnson’s favor and get tagged in to do some work on Raymond, who backs him right into Jacques while in a front facelock. The crowd explodes when Jacques massacres Charland. Charland manages to desperately tag in Johnson before almost diving out of the ring. The Rougeaus work over Johnson some more when he finally gets in the ring after three four counts from referee Andre Roy. Raymond tags Jacques and locks in a Quebec crab on Johnson, Jacques coming down with a flying knee drop to get the three.

Jacques Rougeau over Dan Johnson by pinfall after a crab/flying knee drop combination 6:45

Jacques, Sr. is proud of his boys for not continuing the assault after the match despite Charland’s antics. He is interrupted by the crowd’s boos as Eddie Creatchman, microphone in hand, and the Midnight Express come halfway down the aisle. The crowd boos the trio very loudly and throw garbage at them.

Creatchman: I’m happy to see that you two are keeping the belts that belong to the Midnight Express in good shape. You see, we already know we’ve got the match on October 1st. Instead of punishing the Midnight Express for their actions last week, you’re going to reward us with a title shot on October 1st.

A member of the crowd throws a not empty drink at Rose, who scowls menacingly at the woman. Jacques, Sr. is in the ring with his sons, handing them a microphone.

Raymond: I know you think you’ve won, Creatchman. What you did last week crossed the line and you will all pay!

Jacques, Jr.: We owe it to Armand to make you pay for what you did and we will. Every time you wrestled us before, it wasn’t personal. Now it is.

The crowd pops huge for this.

Creatchman: You two are so predictable. There was no way you were going to give us a third match any other way. Let’s just ask Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose. Did I or did I not tell you that if we hurt Armand his older brothers would want to wrestle you?

Rose: You did.

Condrey: Word for word.

Creatchman: So you see, you may think you have us where you want us. You may think that this time we don’t know what we’re up against. But what I know is that you are playing my game. I’m sure the two of you will come out all guns blazing on the 1st, but it’s no matter. My team doesn’t just go into a match expecting rage and will to carry them to victory. They have a plan, which is more than I can ever say about you two. Furthermore, Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose have proven they can beat you. You, your overprotective father and all of these fans are in for a big surprise on October 1st.

Creatchman is yelling to get his words out over the boos from the crowd.

Jacques, Sr.: Eddie Creatchman, you got what you wanted. You got your title shot. Your team also injured my son and I hope they understand what they have gotten themselves into.

Creatchman: They know. I told them. I showed them footage. They weren’t overly impressed and I can’t blame them. I can gaurantee you, one hundred percent, that those titles your sons are in possession of will be around the waists of Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose after October 1st. And the IWA will finally have deserving champions.

The crowd again explodes into loud boos.

Creatchman: What do you know? You’re simpletons and I could care less if you don’t like it. No amount of booing, drink throwing or yelling will stop the inevitable. Just remember this. Nobody wanted the Midnight Express to get another chance at those titles. Your wise and impartial announcer was convinced I couldn’t make it happen. But I did. And after that match your other sons will be joining Armand in the hospital!

The Midnights and Creatchman again get pelted with garbage as Jacques and Raymond make for the ropes. Jacques, Sr. keeps his boys from running out and attacking the Midnight Express, calling a huddle in the middle of the ring. Creatchman and the Midnights head for the exit, Creatchman jawing with every fan he can on the way back.

Commercial Break

40:30 - 43:00

Jacques, Sr. is standing in the ring as we come back from commercial, microphone in hand.

Jacques, Sr.: Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time for our big announcement concerning the Montreal Forum show on October 1st. We already have the Canadian International Tag Team Titles on the line, the Can Am Express will be taking on the Tongan Terrors for the newly made Quebec Television Tag team Titles, Louis Laurence will be challenging Richard Charland for his Quebec Heavyweight Title and Andre the Giant will be wrestling! But that’s not the big announcement. The big announcement is that Mad Dog Vachon and Mad Dog Lefebvre are going to have it out to see who the real mad dog is!

The crowd bursts into cheers.

Jacques, Sr.: They will be joined by a dog collar for the match, ten feet of chain attached to a strap around both of their necks! We are calling Two Dogs on a Leash! Because of this ubiquitous match, we are calling the show the Dog Days of Fall!

The crowd gets louder as Rougeau mentions the dog collar and doesn’t settle down.

Jacques, Sr.: With that, I would like to welcome my guest out to the ring, MAD DOG VACHON!

The cheers somehow get louder as Vachon jogs out to the ring.

Jacques, Sr.: Mad Dog, it’s good to see you again. We’ve had our battles, but I can say that I respect you as a tough, strong, skilled competitor with a lot of guts.

Vachon: You were no slouch yerself. That Lefebvre is tough too. I gotta make sure he’s a Mad Dog.

Jacques, Sr.: I remember he always liked watching you growing up. Do you see any of yourself in him?

Vachon: Some, but he’s still a pup. He’d better be ready for this match. I’m giving him everything I got. It’s gonna get bloody. One or both of us won’t be able to walk out. But you know me, Jacques, that’s how I like it!

The crowd pops huge.

Jacques, Sr.: I’ve seen you in more than enough bloody battles, Mad Dog. I know these fans are looking forward to that match, but I’m not sure I want to see either of you go through it.

Vachon: You always were a big softie.

Vachon slaps Jacques, Sr. hard on the back and the two laugh, Jacques, Sr. shaking the Mad Dog’s hand and exiting the ring.

43:00 - 62:00

The Invaders come out to a good pop and shake hands with Vachon. Jacques, Sr. describes for the fans the troubles the Invaders have had with Lefebvre and Poisson. Randy Rose, Mad Dog Lefebvre and Gilles Poisson emerge from the curtain to loud boos with Eddie Creatchman in tow. The crowd throws more garbage at Rose. Jacques, Sr. tells the fans to get ready for a brawl just as Lefebvre sprints the last half of the aisle and starts brawling with Vachon, the Invaders joining in.

Mad Dog Vachon & the Invaders vs. Randy Rose, Mad Dog Lefebvre & Gilles Poisson

Rose and Poisson rush the ring to even things up and the match never settles down. Head referee Adrian Desbois has his hands full keeping one man from each team in the ring for any amount of time. About ten minutes in, Vachon and Lefebvre, both illegal men, start brawling on the outside and work their way up the aisle. The match continues 2 on 2 in the ring with Poisson catching Invader 3 with a low blow that nearly wins the match. Invader 1 stomps away at Poisson’s head after breaking the pin only to be blindsided by Rose and sent to the floor. The Mad Dogs disappear into the back as Poisson and Rose began working over Invader 3’s back. More than a few comebacks by Invader 3 get shut down before he tags in an infuriated Invader 1 who decimates Poisson before dropkicking Rose out of the ring. Creatchman has a quick strategy session with Rose on the outside. Invader 1 looks ready to hit the heart punch on Poisson when Rose hits a few clubbing forearms to the back. Invader 1 fights back with right hands and drove Rose back only to again turn to Poisson and continue the assault. Rose blindsides Invader 1 again, this time hitting a back kick to the gut to cut off the right hands. A big side slam by Rose puts Invader 1 in trouble, but Poisson is unable to capitalize. Invader 3, somewhat recovered comes in and starts working Poisson over, bouncing off the ropes perhaps for his senton, but Rose catches him in the back with a knee. Poisson goes right to the eyes and whips Invader 3 hard into the corner, tagging in Rose. Rose hits a second rope powerslam, Poisson tagging back in as Rose is setting up, and runs across the ring to knock Invader 1 off the apron and slide out. Poisson grabs Invader 3 in a bearhug with the Puerto Rican wrestler fighting to get to the ropes and then going to the eyes, but his strength is sapped and he ends up passing out in the hold.

Gilles Poisson over Invader 3 via submission with a bearhug 16:13

Jacques, Sr. is appalled at the tactics used by Poisson and Rose to isolate their opponents. He admits it’s effectiveness, but cannot condone that sort of behavior. Jacques, Sr. Runs down the card for October 1st, The Dog Days of Fall with a graphic on the screen as we go off the air.

The Dog Days of Fall, Ocober 1st, 1983, Montreal Forum

Mad Dog Vachon takes on mad Dog Lefebvre in a Two Dogs on a Leash match!

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers defend the Canadian International Tag Team Titles against the Midnight Express in a grudge match for the Rougeaus!

Hercules Ayala looks to prove his strength against Andre the Giant!

The Can Am Express and the Tongan Terrors vie for the privilege of being the inaugural Quebec Television Tag Team Champions!

Dino Bravo takes on the Texas Tornado, Stan Hansen!

Invader 3 takes on bitter rival Gilles “The Fish” Poisson

Returning Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet face the masked Hurricane Kamiguchi & Stonehead Ishimoto

Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland defends his title against “The Farmer” Louis Laurence

Tony Parisi and Dave Kochen look for a win over rival Goldie Rogers and his partner Steve Regal

Dark Matches

Post-Show

Dennis Condrey and Eddie Creatchman came out to the ring, Creatchman getting on the mic and asking if anybody in the back thought they could beat the Midnight Express. The Can Am Express came out, which prompted Creatchman to say, “Oh, look, the “other” express.”

The Can Ams gave the Midnights a scare, but Condrey and Rose won after Condrey used a suplex lift to set Rose up for a second rope powerslam on Lafon.

I suspected that the backstage action we missed from the previous week was an attack on Armand. Good build to the October 1st show there. Liked the Goldie Rogers stuff as usual.

Really good promos from both Albano and Creachman this week. Pretty big TV main event this week too, but you've been frequently having some big matches for TV which is quite the opposite of my purposefully weak TV matches.

The October 1st show looks like a really stacked card.

International Wrestling, September 30th, 1983 (Taped September 28th, 1983, at the Earl Armstrong Arena, Ottawa, ON) 3,500 fans, sellout

0:00 - 3:00

The opening montage leads to a shot of the interview area with the Texas Tornado, Stan Hansen next to Jacques, Sr. Hansen is hyper-kinetic as usual, swinging his bullrope around and stomping around. Jacques, Sr. Is more at ease with the Texan than last time, but still obviously weary.

Jacques, Sr.: Tomorrow night you face another great competitor in Dino Bravo. Any thoughts?

Hansen: What do they call Bravo again? I know he’s some kind of weightlifter or somethin’.

Jacques, Sr.: Canada’s Strongest Man.

Hansen (smiling): Boy, you know when to keep it short and sweet. About this Bravo, I’m sure he’s strong as a damn bull, but that don’t mean I ain’t gonna take his head off!

Jacques, Sr.: You’ll remember you didn’t think much of Gino Brito.

Hansen: You got a point there, boy. You French Canadians are tougher than you look. That don’t matter any though. I beat Brito and I’ll beat Bravo. Dino Bravo, you may be some kind of strongman, but I am a pro wrestler! I ain’t here to show nobody how strong I am. I come to this ring to win matches and hurt people. And I’ll be damned if I don’t leave you layin’ on October 1st. I already fought a giant, what makes you think you got anything on him? If you got any brains at all you won’t show up, but I hope you got the guts so I can show you what a lariat feels like!

Hansen stomps off, still swinging his bullrope. Jacques, Sr. is again visibly relieved.

Jacques, Sr.: After that brawl between Stan Hansen and Andre the Giant, I think we all know what to expect on October 1st at the Dog Days of Fall!

Commercial Break

3:00 - 14:30

Mad Dog Lefebvre is in the interview area with Jacques, Sr. when we come back from commercial. Lefebvre is obviously worked up, almost frothing at the mouth.

Jacques, Sr.: Pierre, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this intense. You are looking ready for your match with Mad Dog Vachon.

Lefebvre: You were standing right next to him when he called me a pup! Do you expect me to take that from an old man? Vachon was once THE Mad Dog, but now he’s a senile old hound!

Jacques, Sr.: I can’t agree with that at all. I’ll agree that Mad Dog Vachon has been around a long time, but he’s still a dangerous man.

Lefebvre: And I’m not? Vachon is just trying to hold on to whatever he can because he knows he’s getting closer and closer to retirement. Tomorrow night I’m going to help him get all the way there!

Jacques, Sr.: I meant no disrespect, Pierre. I may not always agree with your choice of allies or tactics, but you are still a very close family friend. I don’t want to see you get hurt, you are in a very dangerous match.

Lefebvre: Mr. Rougeau, I can take care of myself! You were always looking out for us and I appreciate that as much as Armand, Raymond and Jacques. But I am a grown man now! I know exactly how dangerous this fight is with Vachon and I mean to make it just as dangerous for him. Mad Dog Vachon better be taking me seriously. Tomorrow night at The Dog Days of Fall we will see who the real Mad Dog is!

Lefebvre is shaking with rage as he finishes his promo, stalking off as Jacques, Sr. looks on with concern. The camera cuts to the ring where Rene Goulet has just started making his entrance. Goldie Rogers turns the cheers of the crowd to boos as he comes out grinding his hips and offering to kiss several women in the front row. Jacques, Sr. talks about Rogers’ success despite his arrogant attitude and need to protect his face as he returns to the announce table.

Rene Goulet vs. Goldie Rogers

The two wrestlers have a matwork duel to begin with, Rogers using a headlock while Goulet works over Rogers left arm. Rogers rolls out of the ring after a rope break and starts flirting with several women in the front row. Goulet is quick to follow and lands three big right hands that send Rogers stumbling backwards. Head referee Adrian Desbois is quick to usher Goulet back into the ring, Rogers barely making it back in before the ten count due to checking his face for bruises or blood. Rogers immediately rolls back out and argues with Desbois about Goulet’s use of closed fists to the face. When the match restarts, Rogers tries going back to the headlock only to get sent to the ropes. Goulet drops down and pops back up into a dropkick that sends Rogers to the floor again. Rogers reverses a whip by Goulet on the outside into the guard rail and lands several vicious punches to the face. He teases ramming Goulet’s head into the ringpost, but Desbois is quick to let him know that will result in a disqualification. Rogers works over Goulet with stomps, clubs to the back of the neck and punches before sending him to the corner. The arrogant young wrestler stomps away at Goulet’s face in the corner after beating him down, then lets the crowd know has the match won. Goulet reverses a neckbreaker with a backslide for a nearfall, then starts laying in right hands after taking a few from Rogers. Rogers is caught in the scorpion claw hold, but is very close to the ropes and Goulet has to break. Rogers tries grabbing the ropes with both hands when Goulet attempts to drag him to the center of the ring. Goulet uses the opportunity to go for an O’Connor roll, but Rogers reverses into one of his own for the three after grabbing two handfuls of tights.

Goldie Rogers over Rene Goulet by pinfall after an O’Connor roll with a handful of tights 8:06

Jacques, Sr. cannot call that a very good win for Rogers given the tactics he used to get it. Rogers is certainly a tough competitor, but he could stand to learn something from how Rene Goulet approaches a match. Dave Kochen is out at ringside, yelling at Desbois about Rogers using the tights when Rogers slides out of the ring to blindside him. Kochen turns around in time and the two wrestlers face off as Jacques, Sr. hypes up their tag team match on the Dog Days of Fall.

Commercial Break

14:30 - 33:45

Hurricane Kamiguchi and Stonehead Ishimoto are in the interview area with Eddie Creatchman and small Japanese woman in a kimono as we come back from commercial. Jacques, Sr. is nowhere to be seen. Creatchman just grabs the microphone and starts talking.

Creatchman: It looks like Jacques Rougeau, Sr. isn’t interested in talking to me. I only wish I had known how to make that happen sooner.

Creatchman confers with the two masked Japanese wrestlers and the lovely young woman shortly before continuing.

Creatchman: You see, these two gentlemen behind me came here from Japan for competition. What they got was a weakling named Armand Rougeau and his old man tag team partner. And next up they get the same. I hardly think that’s fair to these respected veterans from Japan. Now you may be asking yourself, why am I, Eddie “The Brain” Creatchman at all interested in this? Guess what, if the Rougeaus want to treat these very capable veterans from Japan as some kind of training partners for little Armand, then I’m more than willing to make sure they are prepared for the task. I have enlisted the help of the lovely Haruki, a Japanese immigrant who can translate for me, to communicate with these men and help us both learn each other’s language. Unlike the management here in the IWA, I have respect for the Japanese people. Haruki will be joining me at ringside for the first little while.

Haruki (in perfect English, then in perfect French): I think the IWA fans are in for a real treat. Ishimoto-san and Kamiguchi-san are great wrestlers, very respected in Japan.

Creatchman: So let me assure the fans that Armand Rougeau, when he returns, and his old man tag team partner will not be having their way with these fine gentlemen from Japan. They will find, like they did on September 14th, that Ishimoto and Kamiguchi are far better wrestlers. Tonight we face Gino Brito and those buffoons from Puerto Rico, the Invaders. They will learn that these men are not to be underestimated just like Armand Rougeau and Rene Goulet already have.

The Japanese tag team and their two managers start towards the ring as we cut to Gino Brito and the Invaders making their entrance to a big pop. Jacques, Sr. apologizes to the fans for his unprofessional behavior, but he cannot talk to Eddie Creatchman after the role Creatchman played in Armand’s injury. Jacques, Sr. puts over the Brito/Invaders alliance as one of mutual respect gained in the ring through combat. The Japanese team of Hurricane Kamiguchi and Stonehead Ishimoto come out with their two managers, Creatchman and Haruki, as well as their partner Gilles Poisson. The crowd is booing and throwing things at Creatchman, who makes sure Haruki is walking next to the wrestlers and not him. Jacques, Sr. begrudgingly gives Creatchman credit for being a gentleman and a man without prejudice. He continues that this is indeed a formidable team, even if their tactics are not what he would like.

Gino Brito & the Invaders vs. Gilles Poisson, Hurricane Kamiguchi & Stonehead Ishimoto

Brito and the Invaders get off to a hot start on Poisson. Poisson goes to the eyes, then the throat on Invader 1 before dropping him across the top rope throat-first and tags to Kamiguchi. The heels work Invader 1 over for a while, focusing on his neck. Poisson starts lifting Invader 1 up while the Puerto Rican is in a front facelock at one point. Invader 1 gets cut off a few times before tagging to Invader 3, who comes in on fire. He clears the ring before working over Ishimoto along with his partners for a short time. The match gets chaotic as all six men are in the ring, Ishimoto hitting Invader 3 with a loaded headbutt and quickly removing the object as referee Pierre Bertrand is trying to clear the ring. The action gets chaotic again after Invader 1 breaks up the nearfall and Invader 1 loads up HIS mask and headbutts Ishimoto, sending him down hard. Blood is seen under the mask of both Invader 3 and Ishimoto as they struggle to their feet. Invader 3 gets the best of Ishimoto with big right hands and tags in Invader 1, who slams the masked Japanese man down and tags Invader 3 back in, hiptossing him into a senton onto Ishimoto for the three.

Invader 3 over Stonehead Ishimoto by pinfall after a Catapult 14:52

Post-match, Creatchman is screeching at the top of his lungs at Bertrand that Invader 1 cheated, but to no avail. Jacques, Sr. is glad that Ishimoto got his come-uppance on television where everyone could see and cannot support Creatchman’s arguments.

Commercial Break

33:45 - 45:15

We return from commercial to the interview area where Jacques, Sr. is standing with Louis Laurence & Tony Ricco, both bandaged after the brutal attack by the Tongan Terrors last week.

Jacques, Sr.: I am standing here with two exceptional young men, Louis Laurence and Tony Ricco. Tonight they have a tag match against Richard Charland and Dan Johnson, a match with implications going into tomorrow night.

Laurence: That’s right, Jacques, Sr. Tomorrow night I am going to take the Quebec Heavyweight Title from an undeserving champion, Richard Charland.

Jacques, Sr.: You’ve beaten Richard Charland more than once and I know you can win a fair fight with him.

Ricco: Anyone who has been paying attention knows that neither our match tonight or the title match tomorrow will be a fair fight.

Jacques, Sr.: This is very true and Richard Charland holding that championship is a travesty..

Laurence: A travesty I mean to end. We have beaten Charland and Johnson in an unfair fight before and we will do it tonight. After that I will win the Quebec Heavyweight Championship and give the fans a champion they can cheer for!

Laurence and Ricco leave for the ring. Shouts for help from the opposite direction draw Jacques, Sr. and the cameraman down the hallway. They find Raymond Rougeau around a corner being helped to his feet. He is clutching his right hand and screaming in pain as medical personnel arrive on the scene. Jacques, Sr. drops the microphone and goes over to help his son. The camera cuts back to the ring as Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland, proudly displaying his ill-gotten belt, and Dan Johnson emerge from the curtain. The crowd boos, turning to cheers as Louis Laurence and Tony Ricco run to the ring. Charland and Johnson ambush the pair, beating both down.

Louis Laurence & Tony Ricco vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland & Dan Johnson

The crowd is booing loudly as Charland and Johnson isolate Laurence after the initial beating, working the cut. Laurence gets worked over and cut off several times before tagging Ricco, who comes charging into the ring as Charland rolls right out of the ring to the floor. Johnson drops off the apron and they talk things over. It looks like Charland is getting back in the ring, but Johnson steps in from behind and clobbers Ricco. Ricco comes roaring back after a few Johnson right hands, working Johnson’s leg over. Charland stands on Ricco’s throat from the apron when he gets too close to the wrong corner and the heels work Ricco over, focusing on his neck. Charland uses the tights and hair very liberally to cut off several Ricco tags. Ricco catches Charland with a back elbow as Charland comes bouncing off the ropes and makes the tag to Laurence, who has recovred. The crowd explodes as Laurence destroys Charland, really working on the left leg. He pulls the Quebec Heavyweight champion into a neutral corner and wraps his leg around the post several times to the crowd’s delight. Referee Andre Roy demands that Laurence return to the ring and he does, only to continue working over Charland’s leg. Charland almost makes the tag after raking the eyes before Laurence grabs his left foot and drags him back into the center of the ring, turning him over into a half crab. Ricco yanks Johnson off the apron and whips him into the guard rail as Charland taps out.

Louis Laurence over Richard Charland by submission with a half crab 8:44

Charland escapes the ring, Johnson helping him stand steadily. Laurence takes time from celebrating in the ring to make the belt gesture at Charland, who shakes his head no and raises the belt up above his head.

45:15 - 64:00

Jacques Sr. is in the interview area with his sons Jacques and Raymond, looking very grim, as we return from commercial. The Rougeaus are wearing their belts arund their waists, but little focus is on them. Raymond’s hand is wrapped and he is favoring it.

Jacques, Sr.: My son Raymond has been the victim of a brutal attack from behind. He was hit with something very solid and then his hand was given a working over. Raymond, what is the status of your hand?

Raymond: My hand may be broken, I’ll have to get X-rays to be sure. I can't make a fist with it.

Jacques, Sr.: It seems that one Eddie Creatchman has struck again. I understand if the two of you want to postpone your title match because of this. I imagine the fans will, too.

Jacques: If Eddie Creatchman thinks that we are going to pull out of this match because of something like this, he is dead wrong. We will defend these belts tomorrow night because we signed for the match! Raymond and I talked about this during the break and there’s no way we will let the fans down like that.

Jacques, Sr.: I am very proud of you, boys, but I question the wisdom of this decision.

Raymond: The decision has been made. We will avenge Armand and this little attack tomorrow night!

Jacques and Raymond walk off, Jacques Sr. with a very concerned look on his face. Lou Albano, flanked by none other than Sgt. Slaughter, walks in.

Jacques, Sr.: I see that there may have been a reason for Sgt. Slaughter’s actions towards the Can Am Express after all.

Albano: Nonsense, Rougeau! Or is this just one of your little jokes? Either way, I am standing here with Sgt. Slaughter tonight because he is going to make sure Lafon and Brunzell never make it to that title match tomorrow night.

Jacques, Sr.: I think you are underestimating the Can Am Express, Mr. Albano. It’s been some time since we talked, Sgt. Slaughter and I wonder if you might answer something for me.

Slaughter: I can’t see why i wouldn’t.

Jacques, Sr.: What exactly brought on your use of the brass knuckles last time you met Phil Lafon in the ring? As I recall you mentioned something about being trash talked before, but this time you used those knuckles to win the match in a dishonest fashion. I’m curious as to what your explanation might be.

Slaughter: Jacques, Sr., that is certainly a good question. Sometimes my temper gets the better of me, as I explained before. And Lafon spent the latter half of that match telling me how he was going to put MY hold, the cobra clutch on me and make me pass out. After so much of that I needed to get my point across.

Jacques, Sr.: He has been having some success with that hold in the IWA.

Slaughter: So he has. And he got it from me, so the least he could do is show me some respect. I did, after all, show him the effectiveness of his finishing hold.

Jacques, Sr.: I can see your point, Sgt. Slaughter, but it’s hard for me to see how that justifies your using the brass knuckles.

Slaughter: I’m sorry to hear that, Mr. Rougeau. I wrestle how I wrestle, and nothing you say is going to change that. I feel that I am in the right when I say that tonight, Lefebvre and I will end any chance that the Can Am Express have at becoming champions. Whether or not you like it is not something I can concern myself with.

Slaughter walks off towards the ring, Albano grinning at Rougeau before giving him a playful punch on the shoulder and walking off in the opposite direction. The Can Am Express makes their way to the ring, Brunzell and Lafon getting alot of support from the fans. Jacques, Sr. is back at the announce table and praising the Can Am Express for their effort in the face of all the struggles they’ve gone through. The crowd immediately reacts to Slaughter and Lefebvre coming out, booing them out of the building. Jacques, Sr. wonders if Albano hasn’t put a bounty on Lafon or Brunzell for Slaughter to collect.

The Can Am Express vs. Sgt. Slaughter & Mad Dog Lefebvre

Lafon and Brunzell attack Slaughter and Lefebvre before the bell, leading to an out-and-out brawl. Slaughter ends up retreating outside the ring, leaving Lefebvre at the mercy of the Can Ams. Lefebvre rakes the eyes of Lafon and bites his forehead before clubbing him over the back several times and tagging in Slaughter. The heels work Lafon’s leg over, taking away his kicks. Lafon fights through both cheating to keep him in the ring and tags Brunzell, who dropkicks Slaughter, but sends him out of the ring. Lefebvre is the victim of a Brunzell running knee and the ring clears. Head referee Adrian Desbois starts counting Slaughter out, but Brunzell goes to the floor and whips him into the apron. Brunzell is warned by Desbois not to slam Slaughter’s head into the post and complies. Brunzell is working over Slaughter’s leg, which Lafon joins in on during a series of quick tags. Slaughter kicks Lafon in the face from the mat to tag in Lefebvre, who gets a nearfall with a suplex. Slaughter gets a nearfall with a Slaughter cannon after hitting the ropes and goes to the tights for the knucks. Desbois is quick to grab Slaughter’s hand and admonish him, but Slaghter rips his hand away only to have Lafon duck the right hand and roll Slaughter up in a schoolboy for the three count from Desbois.

Phil Lafon over Sgt. Slaughter by pinfall with a schoolboy 14:26

Slaughter is furious and takes a big swipe at Lafon, who barely ducks out of the ring in time. Jacques, Sr. is ecstatic as Lafon and Brunzell celebrate on the floor, Slaughter taking a swing at Desbois, who ducks and scrambles out of the ring. Jacques, Sr. calls this a huge win for Lafon and Brunzell that gives them great momentum going into their Quebec Television Tag Team Titles match tomorrow night! Be sure to get your tickets if there are any left for the Dog Days of Fall in the Montreal Forum tomorrow night!

Dark Matches
Pre-Show
The Gerrard Brothers defeated Etienne Bergeron & Frederic Tremblay with a Tim Gerrard crossbody
Dave Kochen defeated Bobby Kay with an abdominal stretch
Tony Parisi defeated Rudy Kay with a flying senton

The Dog Days of Fall, Ocober 1st, 1983, Montreal Forum

Mad Dog Vachon takes on mad Dog Lefebvre in a Two Dogs on a Leash match!

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers defend the Canadian International Tag Team Titles against the Midnight Express in a grudge match for the Rougeaus!

Hercules Ayala looks to prove his strength against Andre the Giant!

The Can Am Express and the Tongan Terrors vie for the privilege of being the inaugural Quebec Television Tag Team Champions!

Dino Bravo takes on the Texas Tornado, Stan Hansen!

Invader 3 takes on bitter rival Gilles “The Fish” Poisson

Returning Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet face the masked Hurricane Kamiguchi & Stonehead Ishimoto

Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland defends his title against “The Farmer” Louis Laurence

Tony Parisi and Dave Kochen look for a win over rival Goldie Rogers and his partner Steve Regal

The Dog Days of Fall October 1st, Montreal Forum, Montreal, QC (18,500, sellout)

The show opens up with Jacques, Sr. in the ring welcoming all 18,500 fans to the Dog Days of Fall. Jacques, Sr. runs down all of the matches on the card before telling the fans to enjoy the show. Bob Marcus comes out from the back to no reaction at all. Gino Brito comes out to a very positive reaction, the crowd just short of erupting.

Gino Brito vs. Bob Marcus

Marcus is able to get some offense in, but Brito wins this one easily with the figure four.

Gino Brito over Bob Marcus by submission with the figure four 5:08

Tony Parisi and Dave Kochen are greeted with cheers on their way to the ring. They take the time to slap hands with the fans around ringside before entering the ring. Goldie Rogers and Steve Regal emerge from the back as the crowd starts booing loudly. Rogers is intent on Kochen as the wrestlers are ready to start the match.

Tony Parisi & Dave Kochen vs. Goldie Rogers & Steve Regal

Rogers is on Kochen before the bell and the heels work Kochen over for some time. Kochen gets cut off a few times, but manages to tag after a series of punches and a dropkick to Regal. The faces work Regal over with quick tags for a short time, but Rogers is able to trip up Parisi while he is rope-running. Regal and Rogers work Parisi over for some time before Parisi hits a crossbody after being sent to the ropes, but Rogers is in off the apron to stomp on him and keep him from tagging. Rogers is tagged in and goes back to work on Parisi. Parisi fires back with punches that send Rogers bailing out of the ring only for Regal to hit a forearm to Parisi’s upper back and send Parisi out to the floor. Rogers works Parisi over on the floor and back in the ring before tagging Regal. Regal is caught in an atomic drop by Parisi, who tags in Kochen as the crowd cheers. Kochen sends Rogers off the apron with a dropkick after putting Regal down with a series of right hands. Regal is slammed down by Kochen, who tags in Parisi. Parisi climbs up top and comes crashing down with a flying senton for the three.

Tony Parisi over Steve Regal by pinfall after a flying senton 9:36

Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland is greeted with boos as he heads to the ring. He shows off his belt proudly regardless. Louis Laurence gets a good amount of cheers and seems really fired up to get a title shot. Charland tries ambushing Laurence as he enters the ring, but Laurence drops down off the apron before the champion can hit him.

Louis Laurence vs. Quebec Heavyweight Champion Richard Charland in a title match

Charland refuses to let Laurence in the ring despite referee Pierre Bertrand’s admonishing. Laurence is finally able to drag Charland to the outside by his ankles and use the post as a weapon against Charland’s leg. Bertrand gets Laurence to stop and come back into the ring, where Laurence continues to work over Charland’s leg. It looks like Laurence is goign to make quick work of Charland before the champion tosses Laurence out of the ring in desperation. Laurence skins the cat and is right back on Charland, but the champion is able to use attacks to Laurence’s eyes before hitting several right hands from his back. He gets unsteadily to his feet and hits a few more right hands before again dumping Laurence to the floor. Charland grabs his title belt from the timekeeper’s table and blasts Laurence between the eyes with it right in front of Bertrand, who has no choice but to disqualify Charland.

Louis Laurence by disqualification when Charland hits him with the belt 5:48

Post-match Charland hits Laurence several times with the belt while standing over him, then slaps him across the face asking, “Is this what you want?” Security and all three referees pull Charland off of a battered and unconscious Laurence, helping Laurence to the back. Eddie Creatchman comes out to the ring with Haruki and the team of Earth and Sky. The crowd is booing and throwing things at Creatchman, who again makes sure that the young Japanese immigrant woman is walking with the wrestlers and not him.

Creatchman: Tonight all of you get to see three of your heroes and an old man lose to superior wrestlers in my employ. Armand Rougeau and his “mentor”, more like his grandpa, face these two veteran Japanese wrestlers tonight. These men have faced much tougher competition than some kid who is only wrestling because his brothers wrestle, his dad and uncle wrestled, his grandfather wrestled, and I guess maybe he should too. These men behind me trained for many years of their own volition to become pro wrestlers. You should all be honored that they are willing to wrestle in front of you! Armand Rougeau is lucky that the people who run the IWA like him because no promoter in their right mind would put these men in a ring with such inferior opponents.

The crowd is in a frenzy at this point as Creatchman exits the ring, first opening the ropes for Haruki. Armand Rougeau and Rene Goulet enter the arena floor, Goulet trying to calm the angry Rougeau down as they walk to the ring.

Armand Rougeau & Rene Goulet vs. Earth & Sky

Armand starts the match and attacks both Japanese wrestlers with abandon, wearing himself out and opening himself up to an attack from behind while he has Ishimoto in a front facelock. Ishimoto and Kamiguchi work over the young Rougeau, focusing heavily on his injured neck after Creatchman says something to Haruki, who yells in Japanese to the wrestlers. Armand makes a few valiant comeback attempts, but the heels keep going back to the neck whenever he gets too close to tagging. Goulet, who has yet to even get in the match, helps whip the crowd into a frenzy on the apron and there is an eruption when Rougeau tags him after diving halfway across the ring! Goulet is a house afire, but his partner is unable to help much for a short time. Goulet gets the scorpion claw hold on Kamiguchi, but Hata loads up the mask and headbutts the French veteran, knocking him out cold and opening a cut. Armand comes charging into the ring with big right hands and manages to drag Goulet over and tag himself in. Ishimoto and Kamiguchi immediately go back to the neck once Rougeau starts to slow down. Ishimoto hits an unloaded headbutt that still leaves Rougeau dazed, then tags in Kamiguchi, who sits on the top turnbuckle. An elbow from that seated position greets Armand as he is carried over to Kamiguchi by Ishimoto. Kamiguchi hooks Rougeau’s neck and flips over into a blockbuster and an easy three count.

Hurricane Kamiguchi over Armand Rougeau by pinfall after a blockbuster 14:22

Post-match all three referees are trying to revive both Goulet and Rougeau as Ishimoto, Kamiguchi and Creatchman celebrate. Armand is talking to the men standing over him but not moving as a hush falls over the crowd. Goulet is revived and helping put Armand on a stretcher after a brace is put around his neck. Goulet gets a house mic and swears he won’t let Creatchman and his goons get away with this, which gets some appreciation from the crowd.

There is a short intermission which is followed by Gilles Poisson making his way to the ring. The crowd boos the 280 lb. veteran, who doesn’t look very concerned by it. Invader 3 runs to the ring as the crowd starts cheering. Invader 3 slides in and immediately starts brawling with the big man.

Invader 3 vs. Gilles Poisson

Invader 3 is taking it to Poisson, but the veteran canadian goes to the eyes and starts clubbering the much smaller Invader 3. The match goes back and forth, Invader 3 picking up the pace whenever he is in control and Poisson doing his best to slow things down. Poisson uses every shortcut in the book to get the advantage, much to referee Andre Roy’s dismay. Roy comes close to disqualifying Poisson several times, but the veteran is just ahead of the five count from Roy. Mad Dog Lefebvre comes down to ringside and tries hitting Invader 3 as he runs the ropes, but the Puerto Rican hits a baseball slide that takes Lefebvre’s legs out from under him and drops him throat first across the top rope. Andre Roy is yelling at the downed Lefebvre to leave ringside as Invader 3 nails Poisson with a dropkick in the ring. Poisson looks to be in trouble as Invader 3 is setting up for his running senton after a crossbody from the second rope, but Lefebvre grabs Invader 3’s legs from ringside while Roy is checking in on the downed Poisson. Roy is once again shouting at Lefebvre to leave ringside when Poisson drops Invader 3 over the top rope groin-first. Invader 3 is caught in Poisson’s bearhug and passes out, giving the veteran big man the win.

Gilles Poisson by submission with a bearhug 12:56

The crowd boos loudly as it looks like Lefebvre and Poisson mean to continue the assault, but Invader 1 runs out with a chair to clear the ring and allow his partner to get help. Once the ring clears the Texas Tornado, Stan Hansen runs down to the ring, swinging his bullrope back and forth. The crowd is booing the big Texan, but those boos turn to massive cheers as Dino Bravo emerges from the curtain. The very popular Bravo is working the fans all the way to the ring where Hansen attacks him as he enters.

Dino Bravo vs. Stan Hansen

The crowd immediately starts booing Hansen, who only puts the boots to Bravo harder. The Canadian strongman comes firing back with right hands but misses a dropkick. Hansen is immediately back on him and the brawl doesn’t stop. Bravo hits a vertical suplex to a HUGE pop on the 300 lb. Texan but only gets a two. Bravo ducks a lariat and looks for an airplane spin, but Hansen grabs the ropes and both men end up outside. The brawl continues on the floor and referee Bertrand counts both men out.

The match ends in a double count-out 12:19

Hansen gets an advantage on the outside after the match and blasts Bravo with a lariat on the floor. The Texas Tornado climbs back into the ring and gives the longhorn sign to loud boos before heading to the back. Bravo is revived and makes it to the back under his own power, but groggily as the crowd shows support. The Can Am Express get a very good reaction from the crowd as they slap hands with the front row on their way to the ring. The crowd is quick to boo Lou Albano and the Tongan Terrors very loudly as they stalk to the ring.

The Can Am Express vs. The Tongan Terrors for the vacant Quebec Television Tag Team Titles (15 minute time limit)

The Can Ams both rush their big Tongan opponents before the bell and the brawl is on as the crowd erupts. Brunzell and Lafon hold their own against Albano’s monsters, coming back big each time it appears they are on the losing end and the Terrors will be able to work them over as a team. Brunzell makes a tag to Lafon, but Lafon can’t get into the ring because Albano has his leg wrapped up from ringside. Lafon tries kicking Albano away, but ends up taking a big headbutt from King Tonga that sends Lafon crashing into Albano, who crashes into the guard rail and is out. Tonga John keeps Brunzell occupied while King Tonga sends Lafon into the guard rail and rolls him back into the ring. Head referee Adrian Desbois has trouble keeping both Tongans out of the ring, but they barely avoid disqualification as they work Lafon over brutally. Lafon struggles to make the tag, but the Terrors cut the ring off each time he breaks free. Brunzell takes the hot tag and manages to get Tonga John out of the ring briefly, but the two Tongan wrestlers are too much for the Minnesotan to handle on his own. One minute left in the match. Brunzell hits a running jump knee on King Tonga, but the big Tongan is only staggered. Brunzell misses a dropkick and gets decked with a martial arts chop by King Tonga. King Tonga headbutts a barely standing Lafon off the apron before hitting a thumb spike on a recovering Brunzell. Thirty seconds remain in the time limit. He picks Brunzell up and tags Tonga John, who climbs up top. A King Tonga savate kick sets Tonga John up for his flying headbutt and the Tongan Terrors become the first Quebec Television Tag Team champions.

Tonga John over Jim Brunzell by pinfall after a savate kick/flying headbutt combination 14:42

King Tonga and Tonga John roll Brunzell to the floor near Lafon and both stumble to their feet a minute or so later as a revived Albano and his team celebrate in the ring with their new titles. Albano and the Tongans exit the ring, both wrestlers stomping Lafon and Brunzell down before they leave with their newly won belts. Albano joins in, stomping on Lafon. Lafon and Brunzell get up and help each other to the back, the crowd appreciative of their efforts. Canadian International Tag Team Champions Jacques and Raymond Rougeau step onto the arena floor to a HUGE pop. They look very focused and intense on their way to the ring and are not wearing their traditional robes. Raymond’s hand is heavily bandaged. They get the house mic in hand once they enter the ring.

Raymond: The Midnight Express and Eddie Creatchman expect an easy win tonight because of this.

Raymond holds up his right hand.

Raymond: We are fighting champions and we won’t lay down for anybody. Damaged hand or no, we are going to give the Midnight Express all they can handle.

Jacques: Tonight we will prove to all of you that we are fighting champions. And Eddie Creatchman, Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose will find out that we do know a thing or two about strategy.

The Midnight Express and Eddie Creatchman walk to the ring through a massive storm of garbage thrown their direction. The only one who appears to notice is Eddie Creatchman, taking the time to hurl verbal abuse at every fan he can.

Canadian International Tag Team Champions The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. The Midnight Express in a title match

Jacques is carefully measuring Rose from the start. Rose wants to throw hands, but Jacques is patient and waits for the lockup. He grabs a headlock and Raymond tags himself in as Jacques walks close enough, both brothers working a tight headlock for a long while. Rose, caught off-guard initially, begins to counter out. Both Rougeau brothers are able to counter right back into a headlock quickly. Condrey is finally tagged in and ends up having his left arm worked over in the same fashion. Finally Condrey catches Raymond when he reverses an arm wringer and drives Raymond’s shoulder to the mat, stomping Raymond’s back a few times before moving and stomping on the right hand. The Midnights work Raymond over, never straying from the right hand too long. Raymond starts coming back on instinct with a clothesline to Rose, but Condrey is in quickly to stop a tag. Condrey is tagged in and Raymond lands a few left hands to the jaw. Condrey grins and motions for more, taking several before decking Raymond with three big rights to send him crashing to the mat. Raymond tries to come back with right hands, but they hurt him as much or more than Condrey and Jacques is going crazy trying to will Raymond over for the tag on the apron. Raymond pulls Rose’s legs from under him as Rose looks for a piledriver and looks for a crab hold, but it isn’t in long as Condrey charges the ring. Raymond releases the hold and kicks the rushing Condrey in the gut before hitting a vertical suplex. The crowd goes absolutely bonkers as Jacques takes the tag and the Midnights are sent flying around the ring by the younger Rougeau brother. Jacques looks like he can pull off the win without help until Rose saves Condrey from a Jacques Quebec crab. Raymond is in the ring quickly, sending Rose to the floor and stomping away on Condrey before being ushered out of the ring by head referee Adrian Desbois. Jacques manages to tag in Raymond, who grabs a cross armbreaker on Condrey, who frantically goes to the ropes. Rose drags Jacques off the apron, Jacques catching chin on the apron as he falls. Rose hits the ring and stomps away on an exhausted Raymond before Desbois escorts him out of the ring. Condrey stomps away at Raymond’s hand before dropping a big knee on it. He pulls Raymond up and locks in a sleeper, Raymond passing out in the sleeper while Rose puts Jacques down with a power slam on the floor.

Dennis Condrey over Raymond Rougeau by submisson with a sleeper 20:13

Jacques, Sr. rushes to ringside to check on Jacques as Eddie Creatchman taunts him in the ring, the Midnight Express being awarded the Canadian International Heavyweight Titles behind him. Creatchman spits on Raymond as the Midnight Express exit the ring. The crowd is again throwing garbage at Creatchman and the Midnight Express, but they are too busy celebrating their titles to notice. Jacques is back in the ring checking on Raymond and both stumble their way to the back. The crowd can only muster applause for the defeated Rougeau Brothers as they slowly walk to the curtain. Hercules Ayala comes out of the back, getting more than a few cheers. His opponent gets a big reaction, the crowd popping big for Andre the Giant.

Andre the Giant vs. Hercules Ayala

Andre is in charge early as Ayala makes the mistake of trying to brawl. Ayala changes strategy and works over Andre’s left arm to some effect. Andre again battles out with sheer strength and throws Ayala around the ring until the Puerto Rican escapes to the floor to collect himself. Ayala changes tactics again and uses his mobility advantage to stick and move, but makes the mistake of trying to bodyslam Andre and nearly stays down for the three count when Andre falls on top. Andre, tired, works a surfboard until Ayala impresses the crowd by powering out only to have Andre go to the corner. Ayala hiptosses the giant out of the corner to a big pop, but only gets a two. Andre hits a series of chest slaps and finishes with a headbutt before jumping up and falling on Ayala with a splash for the three.

Andre the Giant by pinfall after a splash

Andre helps Ayala up after the match, patting him on the back for a well-fought match. The two shake hands and the crowd cheers as they walk to the back together, talking about the match.

Jacques, Sr. Gets into the ring holding the dog collar.

Jacques, Sr.: It’s time for our feature bout of the evening fans! Mad Dog Vachon and Mad Dog Lefebvre will be wearing these leather collars, joined at the neck by fifteen feet of chain! Mad Dog Vachon is always an interesting man to talk to, so let’s bring him out!

The Mad Dog gets a MASSIVE pop as he barks at the fans in the front row.

Jacques, Sr.: Maurice, I know you’ve been looking forward to this match for a few weeks now. I think all of these fans have, too!

The crowd pops big.

Vachon: It’s time to find out who the real Mad Dog is, Jacques! This Lefebvre ain’t no pushover, but he’s dealing with the original Mad Dog now!

Jacques, Sr.: Pierre is a good kid at heart. I really hope he is up to the task tonight.

Vachon: He better be, Jacques. It’s a dog eat dog world and I got no plans of bein' anybody's dinner!

Mad Dog Lefebvre emerges from the back to loud boos, but he doesn’t seem to notice as he glares at Vachon all the way to the ring. Referee Pierre Bertrand straps Vachon in as Jacques, Sr. hurriedly leaves the ring. Bertrand straps Lefebvre into his collar and immediately ducks, barely getting out of the way as the two Mad Dogs charge each other, exchanging lefts (Vachon) and rights (Lefebvre) before the bell can ring.

Mad Dog Vachon vs. Mad Dog Lefebvre in a Two Dogs on a Leash Match

Vachon, the more experienced wrestler, steps back grabbing the chain and yanks Lefebvre forward by the neck. He follows up by whipping Lefebvre with the chain and the younger Mad Dog goes down hard. Vachon walks right into three solid shots with the chain by Lefebvre from his back and staggers back. Lefebvre continues the assault after regaining his feet and busts Vachon open. Lefebvre wraps the chain around Vachon’s eyes and forehead, squeezing and pulling while standing behind the veteran Mad Dog. Lefebvre works over the cut in various ways, biting, using the chain, punches, grinding Vachon’s head across the top rope while choking him with the chain. Vachon catches Lefebvre with a length of chain and keeps swinging until Lefebvre goes down in a heap, barely keeping his feet. Vachon bites at the younger Mad Dog’s forehead rakes the eyes and then backs up after a few chain-assisted lefts. Vachon uses the chain to pull Lefebvre into a big left with the chain around his fist that sends Lefebvre down to the mat and busts him open. Vachon works the cut with bare knuckle punches, biting and chain assisted punches before dragging Lefebvre’s head under the ropes to the apron and yanking up on the chain while standing on the younger Mad Dog’s chest.

Lefebvre manages to trip Vachon up with his legs and roll to the outside, Vachon following closely behind. A few lefts from Vachon set up an attempt at whipping Lefebvre into the post, but Lefebvre halts his momentum and flings the surprised Vachon into the guard rail with the chain, reversing the pull after Vachon hits and sending the older Mad Dog into the post. Lefebvre uses the chain as a whip across the chest and shoulders of Vachon, leaving visible welts and some small cuts to go with Vachon’s crimson mask. Lefebvre climbs up the apron only to be yanked off by a desperate Vachon, slamming hard to the floor. Lefebvre gets his whipping back from Vachon, who follows up with chain-assisted punches to the forehead. Vachon uses nearly all of his energy rolling Lefebvre back into the ring and both men lay on the mat, breathing hard, their faces covered in their own blood. Their torsos are covered in welts and small cuts as well as blood that has run down from their faces and both stagger to their feet and exchange bare knuckle punches. The younger Mad Dog clubs Vachon over the back with the chain and slams him down, covering for two. Lefebvre uses weight and momentum, slamming Vachon into the corner after grabbing a semblance of a bearhug and stumbling forward. The younger Mad Dog uses the chain to whip Vachon across the ring into the opposite corner and again crashes into him, but not at anywhere near full speed.

Vachon is lifted to a seated position on the top turnbuckle by Lefebvre, who climbs up and tries to hook Vachon for a suplex. Vachon uses three chain assisted right hands to knock Lefebvre down off the turnbuckles and leaps off with the chain wrapped around his left fist, crashing down with his fist on Lefebvre’s chest. Lefebvre barely kicks out before three when Vachon covers. Lefebvre, almost out, tries hooking the bottom rope with his knee, then his boot as Vachon tries dragging him up using the chain. Vachon again uses the chain as a whip, stunning Lefebvre and finally drags the younger man up enough to get in position for a piledriver. Lefebvre fights for some time until Vachon gets tired of trying and jumps up, landing across the back of Lefebvre’s neck. The older Mad Dog rolls Lefebvre over with great effort and starts raining chain-assisted punches onto Lefebvre. After about five to the head, the punches start to hit Lefebvre in almost random spots, the shoulders, the chest, the head, with some missing entirely and harmlessly pounding the canvas next to Lefebvre’s head. Vachon collapses from exertion into a semblance of a cover. Referee Pierre Bertrand counts the three, but neither Mad Dog seems to notice.

Mad Dog Vachon wins by pinfall after a series of chain-assisted punches 11:19

The crowd is still roaring it’s approval as both Mad Dogs are attended to by doctors. Jacques, Sr. is in the ring with a microphone. After conferring with both doctors, Jacques, Sr. lets the crowd know that both wrestlers should be okay, but have to be rushed to the back where they can be given the proper care for their injuries. Both have lost a lot of blood and need immediate attention. Jacques, Sr. thanks the fans for attending and assures them that both wrestlers will be okay once they have received the proper medical attention. Both Mad Dogs are carried out of the ring on stretchers, with doctors staying right next to the two men as they are transported to the back.

Somehow missed the TV you posted yesterday. Good buildup for the big show with the promos from Hansen & Slaughter and Louis Laurence getting a submission over Charland in a tag match to build up their Quebec title match.

10 matches is a really loaded card for the big October 1st show. I like the pairing of Goldie Rogers and one of my least favorite wrestlers "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal. Was that Regal's first appearance? I don't remember him doing anything previously and I was kind of wondering when he was gonna show up.

I'm glad Charland managed to hold on to the Quebec title. Armand gets another big beating. He was kind of a puss in the one match I saw him in, just dropping down to his knees in the corner to avoid taking a chop from one of The Road Warriors so I fully endorse him being a whipping boy.

Bravo vs. Hansen would have probably been a pretty good match in 83 and definitely would have had a hot crowd in Montreal. Bravo was the man there. Not surprised to see The Tongans become the first TV Tag Champs, I wonder if they'll manage to keep from being stripped of the titles for doing something crazy. I was a bit surprised to see The Midnight Express also win the World Tag Team Titles, interesting that both sets of belts are held by heels. Also pretty surprised to see Raymond go down clean to a sleeper.

Two Dogs On a Leash is a cool name for a dog collar match and was a pretty wild fight. A bit surprised to see the outsider go over but then it's not like Vachon was the most giving wrestler in the world (my least favorite guy from the AWA set since he seemed to totally hate selling for his opponents)

Overall a really good big show. My only quibble would be putting both the tag team title matches back to back, I feel like it would have been better to put a singles match in between them.