Pro Wrestling Only

Exile on Badstreet #11 (The Most Known Unknown)

KrisZ

exile11.jpg

Kris is joined by Good Ol’ Will (Pro Wrestling Only) & Phil Schneider (Segunda Caida) to discuss some of the Living Legends from Memphis Wrestling. We talk about the differences between Handsome & Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant, Dream Machine’s pharmacy visits, Stan Lane & Steve Keirn as ass kickers, and we even cast a Jerry Lawler & Brian Christopher Brazzers film!!!!

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-1-memphis-wrestling-the-most-known-unknown/

I love the Bruise Brothers funeral stuff so, so much. I'm 50 minutes in and really, I think I would have much preferred a year by year breakdown like the Crockett stuff. I know that there's only so much time in the world, but Memphis packs so much in.

It's great, some of my favorite Will-on-a-podcast I've heard, but yeah. I want more.

There's a big difference between Jersey All Pro Wrestling and fucking Memphis though.

Xavier winning the ROH belt does not equal Tommy Rich's mother showing up to help him turn face, you know?

I get what you were going for and it worked great from what I've heard so far, but I think maybe Memphis deserved more. 1989 NWA has a higher Q-rating but that's sort of exactly why 1980 or 1993 Memphis needs more focus.

Small correction: Koko never lost his mask (while wrestling as Stagger Lee). He actually came out and unmasked, which brought out Jimmy Hart who was demanding Eddie Marlin to suspend him (for violating the terms of the loser leaves town match against Eaton)

Marlin came out and used the excuse since Hart or any of his men failed to unmask Koko in the time he was supposed to be gone (from losing the loser leaves town), then Koko was free to begin wrestling again. Hart then feigned a heart attack/fainting from the (ridiculos) ruling from Marlin.

But Hart and his men failed to unmask him, or wrest the Mid America title from him (although he dropped the title while wearing the mask to Frankie Lane)

Mempho is about as near & dear to my heart as Mid-South. At their best & even at their worst, I consider these territories to be the "essence" of pro wrestling in my eyes. So I am absolutely on board for this episode.

Unfortunately, it'll take me awhile to listen to this one. Work's going to be a hectic, unrelenting motherfucker for the next couple of weeks or so. But I'll have some drive time & commute space to split up the sessions a bit here and there.

Definitely stoked for a future series dedicated to Memphis Wrestling Only. But this should be a truckload of fun & enough to prep the stage in the meantime.

Small correction: Koko never lost his mask (while wrestling as Stagger Lee). He actually came out and unmasked, which brought out Jimmy Hart who was demanding Eddie Marlin to suspend him (for violating the terms of the loser leaves town match against Eaton)

Marlin came out and used the excuse since Hart or any of his men failed to unmask Koko in the time he was supposed to be gone (from losing the loser leaves town), then Koko was free to begin wrestling again. Hart then feigned a heart attack/fainting from the (ridiculos) ruling from Marlin.

But Hart and his men failed to unmask him, or wrest the Mid America title from him (although he dropped the title while wearing the mask to Frankie Lane)

You are correct sir. I totally forgot about that part but I always loved that he just kept working as Stagger Lee without the mask

• 3 weeks later...

I n the begining you talked about how Bret thought Memphis wrestling was hokey and I kinda had the same opinion grewing up although I was never really exposed to it. I got me educated about it through this board and DVDVR and have become more intrigued by it. Memphis wrestling seemed to be the most consistant with angles and feuds than any other terriitory ever

I really want to see Koko Wares work in Memphis as well as Eaton

Can wait for part two

I n the begining you talked about how Bret thought Memphis wrestling was hokey and I kinda had the same opinion grewing up although I was never really exposed to it. I got me educated about it through this board and DVDVR and have become more intrigued by it. Memphis wrestling seemed to be the most consistant with angles and feuds than any other terriitory ever

I really want to see Koko Wares work in Memphis as well as Eaton

Can wait for part two

I started watching Memphis in 81, right before the time Sugar and Eaton got together, so I was able to see their entire run live...so I have to say, "GO SEE THEIR STUFF".

Seriously, they are a fantastic team and were a lot of fun to watch. They were basically the "Midnight Express" before the "Midnight Express" (Cornette versions).

I have to say, as a Memphis guy, one of the best things about this board is the Memphis love and the people who have discovered it on youtube and really appreciate it.

Agree! I had no way of seeing Memphis in the 80's and 90's, so only knew it through the magazines. And it totally intrigued me. And while a lot of the other magazine-hyped terrotories that I've gotten to see the last decade or so, have underwhelmed ever so slightly (not dissapointed really, just not always quite lived up to the hype), Memphis has been the opposite. It's even more awesome than it was build up to be :-)