Pro Wrestling Only

MACW - August 1983

Beast

Friday August 12th 1983

MACW Live from the Coliseum in Hampton, Virginia.

Joe Lightfoot and Billy Two Eagles defeated Tony Zane and Doug Vines in 5:35 when Eagles pinned Vines following a missile dropkick.

Tonga Kid defeated Bob Bradley in 9:40 with a flying crossbody press.

Michael Hayes defeated NWA World Tag Team Champion Chris Markoff in 9:15 with a DDT.

The Vachons (Mad Dog & Butcher) defeated Hector Guerrero and Terry Taylor in 11:14 when Mad Dog pinned Guerrero following a piledriver as Butcher brawled with Taylor outside the ring.

Scott Casey defeated Brad Rheingans in 8:32 with a bulldog.

NWATV.png

NWA TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

Terry Gordy © defeated Crusher Darsow in 10:00 with a powerbomb.

NWAUS-1.png

NWA UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP

Dr. D Dave Schultz © defeated Nikolai Volkoff in 11:12 with a flying corkscrew elbow.

MAIN EVENT

David Von Erich defeated The Iron Sheik by DQ in 18:55 when Sheik broke his Iranian flag across Von Erich's back. David Schultz ran Sheik off after the match.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1348126370_7656_NWA%20logo.jpg?itok=1Waj

220px-Jim_Crockett_Promotions_%28logo%29

23msj8o.jpg

Jim Crockett Promotions in compliance with the National Wrestling Alliance presents: Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling from the Civic Center in Asheville, North Carolina with your hosts Bob Caudle & David Crockett!

Bob+and+David.JPG

Bob Caudle: Hello everyone, Bob Caudle here along with David Crockett for another big show from Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling!

David Crockett: That’s right Bob and what a show we have for you fans tonight! So many big stars are here tonight with so many huge match-ups.

Bob Caudle: Both the NWA Television title and tag titles will be on the line later on tonight. First we’ll see Terry Gordy defend his title against Crusher Darsow.

David Crockett: Darsow seems to be short of allies lately Bob, a man without a country.

Bob Caudle: Well it’s obvious he wants to be comrades with our tag team champions, Nikolai Volkoff and Chris Markoff. U.S. Olympian Brad Rheingans has challenged them for tonight and over the past week he revealed that he has chosen a youngster full of potential, the Tonga Kid as his tag team partner.

David Crockett: All that plus Buddy Rogers and Rogers’ Corner with The Iron Sheik, but let’s head to the ring for our first match.

Bob Caudle: In the first of two matches tonight between tag team rivals, Butcher Vachon takes on Terry Taylor. Let’s see what happened last week.

(Footage is shown of Hector Guerrero and Terry Taylor accepting The Vachon’s request for better competition)

Q0uQQSW.pngokZ8U2n.png

Terry Taylor vs. Butcher Vachon

(Both men came out alone as their partners are backstage preparing for their match later on. Butcher started off with the advantage due to his superior size and strength, but Taylor soon turned the tide with a number of arm drags followed by a picture-perfect flying forearm. Butcher went outside to regroup, only to be hit by a baseball slide by Taylor. Back in the ring Butcher blindsided Taylor with a hard clothesline and began to work on the neck with clubbering blows and a big neckbreaker. Butcher grabbed Taylor and began to place him his Hangman’s Hold only for Taylor to backflip out and nail Butcher in the face with a dropkick. As Butcher staggered around, Taylor went for a sunset flip and that was enough for a pinfall over the dazed French-Canadian in 6:01.)

Bob Caudle: Wow, Terry Taylor immediately makes an impact here in Mid-Atlantic.

David Crockett: The Vachons were looking for competition last week and I guess they should have been careful what they wished for because it looks like they got it.

Bob Caudle: Absolutely David, but we need to keep in mind that tag matches are markedly different from singles action. The experience and power of both Vachon brothers may lead to a different result.

David Crockett: Later on tonight, Mad Dog Vachon will try for revenge as he takes on Hector Guerrero, but first our big TV Title match as Terry Gordy defends against Crusher Darsow.

YlR4hek.pngjXDydCH.png

NWATV.png

NWA World Television Title Match - Terry Gordy vs. Crusher Darsow

(Crusher Darsow came out in a white t-shirt with a picture of the American flag crossed out. Terry Gordy came out alone, dropped the belt in the aisle and ran in the ring to begin his beatdown on the man partly responsible for Buddy Roberts injury. Darsow fled to ringside, drawing Gordy out for a chase around the outside of the ring. Darsow rolled inside and put his fists up, but as soon as Gordy rolled in after he ran for the outside again leading Gordy to again follow. Finally Darsow rolled in one last time and nailed Gordy with a kick to the back of the head as Gordy tried to come in.

Darsow continued to hit Gordy with axe handles to the back before dropping him with a big body slam. While Gordy recovered, Darsow yelled to the crowd “America is the land of capitalistic pigs! Mother Russia is the future!”. As he turned back to Gordy, he was surprised by a lariat that knocked him for a loop. Sent into the ropes, Darsow was nailed with a big boot followed by a big back suplex. Gordy pulled him up for a powerbomb, only for Darsow to drop down and roll out back to ringside. This time Darsow sprinted for the back so Gordy just stood in the ring to receive the official win by Countout in 7:31.)

(Michael Hayes comes out and joins Terry Gordy at the announce desk)

Bob Caudle: Wow, Terry Gordy with an impressive successful defense of the TV title there.

Terry Gordy: Hell Bob, that old traitor couldn’t hurt me with one arm tied behind his back.

Michael Hayes: He’s making a name for himself in Mid-Atlantic in the worst possible way. But we’ve got our eyes on bigger cowards. Buddy Jack is still rehabbing his shoulder. He could still beat anyone of those filthy commies, but I told him not to bother, we want him back at 100 percent. So, Bam Bam and I are challenging Volkoff and Markoff to a match for the NWA World Tag belts in Greensboro on Saturday, September 20th.

Terry Gordy: And you can tell your wannabe gofer Darsow to feel free to his show his face, we ain’t scared!

Michael Hayes: He’ll probably end up screwing something up and giving us the titles anyway.

Bob Caudle: Big challenge for Greensboro, we’ll have to see if The Russians accept.

Michael Hayes: I’ve got a contract written up right here that’ll I leave with you and Davy Crockett. C’mon Nicki and Chrissy, show us you Russians aren’t as yellow as that hammer and sickle you like to wear.

(Hayes holds up a contract to the camera, drops it on the announce booth, and the Freebirds head to the back as “Badstreet USA” plays).

David Crockett: Wow Bob, next Saturday sure is shaping up to be a big card! Vachon vs. Hector Guerrero and Terry Taylor and now we might see Gordy and Hayes take on the Russians for the NWA World Tag Team Titles.

Bob Caudle: It all depends on if the Russians accept David. Now let’s go back to the ring as “Cowboy” Scott Casey takes on Joe Lightfoot.

Zqjp7JP.pngKb1958M.png

Cowboy Scott Casey vs. Joe Lightfoot

(Lightfoot fired back with chops to Casey’s chest, sending him back into the corner yelping to the ref for a clean break. Lightfoot did a war dance to the cheers of the crowd. Casey tried to catch Lightfoot from behind only to get taken down with a drop-toe hold and as he tried to stand up, Lightfoot hit a nice dropkick knocking him back down. Lightfoot went for the pin, but Casey kicked out at 2.

Casey took control with a poke to the eyes and proceeded to take Lightfoot apart with an inverted atomic drop and shoulderbreaker. Lightfoot went for one desperate clothesline but Casey grabbed his arm for a single-arm DDT. As Lightfoot went to stand up, he was brought back down with a bulldog for the pin at 3:25).

Bob Caudle - Another impressive outing by Scott Casey. It looks like he has some words to say.

Scott Casey - You’ve got that right Bob Caudle. Jim Crockett thought it was a good idea to send an injun my way? Don't you know that cowboys always beat injuns? I’ll tell you what, I want that other one next week. I’ll show those boys what the Wild West is all about and bring you back to civilization.

(Casey shoots his fingers at the camera like guns and walks to the back)

David Crockett - Sounds like Casey wants Billy Two Eagles next week David.

Bob Caudle - Billy Two Eagles is a real underrated talent. Hope Casey hasn’t bitten off more than he can chew. And fans, I just want to remind you that Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling does not condone or agree with some of the remarks Cowboy Scott Casey just said about Native Americans.

David Crockett - That’s right Bob, that Scott Casey is just a real jerk.

Bob Caudle - All right fans, now we’re going to go to Rogers Corner with Buddy Rogers, but first let’s see some footage featuring his guest for today, The Iron Shiek.

(Footage from Sunday August 7th in Charlotte plays featuring the end of the elimination match where Iron Sheik pinned NWA U.S. Champion David Schultz with a backdrop suplex after ramming his head into an unprotected turnbuckle.)

CIJTM37.png

(Pan over to Rogers’ Corner, a set up with two chairs. Buddy Rogers is sitting in one with a mic)

Buddy Rogers - Welcome one and all to Rogers Corner, the highlight of Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling each and every week. Today we have a man who may not be the most popular wrestler in these parts, but you must admit he is very impressive. Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome The Iron Sheik!

5Qjssuq.png

(The Iron Sheik walks out in his Arabian headpiece to a chorus of boos. He and Rogers hug and sit down.)

Buddy Rogers - Welcome, welcome, I am honored to have such a fine wrestler as yourself here on Rogers’ Corner.

The Iron Sheik - Thank you legendary Buddy Rogers. You have made an excellent excellent decision having the great Iron Sheik on your show.

Buddy Rogers - Of course, the pleasure is all mine. I want to let you know how impressed I was at your performance this weekend in Charlotte in the big elimination match. For those of you who missed out, the winners of eight singles matches met in one final elimination match. The big final match ended up coming down to you and our NWA U.S. Champion David Schultz. Why don’t you talk a little about that match?

The Iron Sheik - Buddy Rogers, the Iron Sheik destroyed the American David Schultz with no problem. I suplex, didn’t even need the Camel Clutch, America’s champion defeated. I bring wrestling from the old school, from Tehran, Iran, Pan-American champ, AAU and no American champion will ever be able to defeat The Iron Sheik. Give me a title match David Schultz and NWA U.S. Title will become NWA Iran Title.

Buddy Rogers - I’m an American myself and even I agree that the Iron Sheik won’t ever be defeated by David Schultz. I do have a surprise for you Sheik, there’s a man who was very impressed by your performance last Saturday and he’s here to say so, ladies and gentlemen, the NWA World Champion, Harley Race!

tSAZTyk.png

(Harley Race wearing his title comes out and shakes the Iron Sheik’s hand)

Harley Race - Buddy Rogers, one of the greatest NWA champions of all time, thank you for allowing me this opportunity to express my respect for your guest, the one and only Iron Sheik. It’s refreshing to see some actual talent shown here in the Mid-Atlantic area of the NWA. Not like that wannabe champion Ric Flair.

Buddy Rogers - Ric Flair could barely keep up with this man last week here on this show.

Harley Race - Oh I saw. Mr. Sheik, I would be honored if you won the U.S. Title, allowing the NWA to once again be proud of its two biggest champions because right now David Schultz is nothing but a disgrace to the title. I’m sure you can easily defeat him very soon.

The Iron Sheik - Thank you Harley Race. You are great man.

(David Schultz suddenly bursts through the curtain and heads over to the Rogers’ Corner set getting in Race and Sheik’s face)

David Schultz - You boys think I’m gonna just sit back there and let you talk a bunch of crap about me? Harley Race, you’re old and Iron Sheik, you’re dumb. Let’s do this.

(Ric Flair and David Von Erich run out and separate Schultz and the others)

Harley Race - That’s right, get him out of here. Go be part of Ric Flair’s sissy club.

(Ric Flair tries to break away and go after Race only for Von Erich and Schultz now holding him back)

Ric Flair - Right here Race, tonight. I’ll beat you for that title right now.

Buddy Rogers - No, no, no, I don’t think so. You’re still not worthy Flair. But I think Mr. Race and Mr. Iron Sheik are ready for a battle tonight.

Harley Race - Absolutely, but I only get into the ring with wrestlers I respect. David Von Erich, your dad has my respect even if you do everything you can to throw that in the garbage so I guess you’ll do. And if it’s between Flair and “The Doctor” well then the lesser of two morons is Schultz.

Ric Flair - I’ll let these two embarrasses you and the Sheik tonight, but one way or another I’ve got your number Race. Whoo!

(Back to the announcers)

David Crockett - What a match made for tonight! Harley Race and The Iron Sheik vs. David Von Erich and David Schultz! The World Champion vs. the U.S. Champion!

Bob Caudle - Absolutely David, we’re in for a real treat later tonight. Now let’s head to the ring as the teammates of our opening match face off.

2ggE3ZO.pngaKPMLLe.png

Mad Dog Vachon vs. Hector Guerrero

(Mad Dog was nothing, but business here trying to make up for his brother’s unexpected loss to Terry Taylor. Hector tried various speedy comebacks, but had a hard time connecting 2 or more without Vachon cutting him off with a hard axe-handle to the back. Vachon kept him reeling with uppercuts and a bodyslam before being warned by the referee for biting Hector’s forehead. As he went to continue his assault, Hector slid underneath his legs to the apron, popped up, and slingshotted his way in over the ropes with a crossbody for a close two count. Hector kept the momentum going with dropkicks and even a backbreaker. He went for his double underhook suplex, but Vachon was able to use his weight advantage to keep from being lifted up. Guerrero let go in surprise only to be hit with a huge uppercut knocking him into the ropes. As he came back Mad Dog head butted him and then picked up for the piledriver, getting the victory at 5:41.

Following the loss, Hector Guerrero kicked the ropes in frustration and yelled at the referee until calming down when Terry Taylor came out to help him to the back.)

Bob Caudle - Looks like Hector was upset at that loss, but Mad Dog Vachon is a very tough competitor.

David Crockett - He has nothing to be embarrassed about Bob, but maybe he wanted to match his partner’s success against a Vachon brother.

Bob Caudle - Agreed. Well, he’ll have a second chance on August 20th in Greensboro when he and Terry Taylor take on both Vachons in a tag match that could determine future World Tag Title shots.

David Crockett - Speaking of Tag Titles, it’s time for what was to be our main event before the big Harley Race and Iron Sheik vs. David Von Erich and David Schultz was made earlier. Let’s head to the ring as Brad Rheingans and Tonga Kid try and take down The Russians.

rOIdRSm.pngrIQEs7X.png

ddZsojy.pngcwEsr2j.png

NWAWTag.png

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match - The Russians (Nikolai Volkoff & Chris Markoff) vs. Brad Rheingans and Tonga Kid

(The superior speed and agility of Rheingans and Kid kept the Russians off-balance as the match began with Rheingans leveling both Russians with german suplexes and Kid coming off the top with a missile dropkick that knocked Volkoff through the middle ropes. Rheingans sent Markoff flying with a belly-to-belly causing him to roll out of the ring as well. The Russians regrouped and soon had Kid caught in a two on one situation, tagging in and out with regularity and really pounding on the young man from the South Pacific. Markoff grabbed Kid in a bearhug for close to a minute before Kid was able to box Markoff’s ears in desperation to escape. He made the hot tag to Rheingans who gutwrench suplexed both men back to back and put Volkoff in an armbar, only to pick him up over his head by that arm and slam him back down. He tagged Kid back in and nailed Markoff with a double clothesline.

All of a sudden Crusher Darsow ran down and pulled Rheingans off the apron as he went back to his corner. Rheingans landed on his feet and immediately began brawling with Darsow around ringside and then to the back leaving Kid alone. After Kid missed a dropkick, Markoff picked him back up into the bearhug, allowing Volkoff to hit Lenin’s Tomb for the win in 10:32. )

Bob Caudle - Crusher Darsow again making himself known to the Russians as they pick up a huge victory over two talented wrestlers.

David Crockett - It’s a real shame. The Russians continue to ignore Crusher and yet he keeps helping them cheat and save their titles.

Bob Caudle - At the same time he’s making a lot of enemies. And now here’s Volkoff and Markoff to look at the contracts left by Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy. Nikolai, what’s the situation with Crusher Darsow?

Nikolai Volkoff - The deal is that he’s just another pathetic American who wants to be part of the most dominant force in the world today. He doesn’t have the brains and brawn like me or the strength and determination of Comrade Markoff. He’s not changing the fact that we continue to defeat all opponents anyway.

Bob Caudle - I don’t think that’s necessarily true, but now let’s turn to the Freebirds. Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy challenged you to a title match in Greensboro next Saturday.

Nikolai Volkoff - Is this some dumb American joke? Buddy Roberts has already felt the power of the Soviet Union. Let us sign those papers, we aren’t afraid of anything they can do.

(Volkoff and Markoff sign the contract. Crockett takes the contract and holds it up. Hayes and Gordy suddenly make their way out.)

Michael Hayes - Well golly, I guess we got ourselves a match next week. But David Crockett, can you take a look at the contract and read what type of match these Russians have signed for?

David Crockett - Oh my! You have just signed up for a Badstreet Match!

(Volkoff and Markoff hit the announce desk and throw a tantrum)

Terry Gordy - You boys sure got some high opinion of yourselves if you think you can beat us in a match where the only rules are there are no rules. Brother Buddy Jack, we’re getting those belts.

(Both teams head to the back, the Russians still yelling)

David Crockett - The Freebirds challenge The Russians in a tag title Badstreet match! Wow!

Bob Caudle - And now before we head to the ring for our main event, here's what fans will see this weekend in person at two huge Mid-Atlantic shows. First tonight in Roanoke, Virginia we have The Iron Sheik and Ric Flair trying to end their war once and for all in a lumberjack match, plus Harley Race will stay in the area for a big title defense against our own TV champion, Terry Gordy.

David Crockett - What a show, Bob! We may see a new NWA champion!

Bob Caudle - One can only hope David. And tomorrow in Norfolk, Michael Hayes meets The Iron Sheik in a lumberjack match of his own, plus tag champion Nikolai Volkoff challenges David Schultz for the U.S. Title.

David Crockett - We know Sheik wants to turn it into an Iranian belt, could Volkoff want to create a USSR title?

Bob Caudle - Let's hope we never find out. Now let's hit the ring for our big main event.

YxNHH4h.png mTIVdof.png

Harley Race and The Iron Sheik vs. David Schultz and David Von Erich

(The fans were on fire for this entire contest as these four titans of the sport went at it. Sheik started off against Von Erich and was soon thrown off guard as David took every suplex and technical hold he could throw at him and came back for more. David nailed Sheik with a high knee and then went for the Iron Claw causing Sheik to run to the ropes. He tagged in Race and again Von Erich nailed a clothesline followed by an attempt at an Iron Claw and again Race went to the ropes. Von Erich tagged in Schultz and both men took turns taking Race and Sheik down with clotheslines and backdrops.

The match slowed down when Sheik moved out of the way for a Von Erich splash in the corner, causing David to get the wind knocked out of him. Race tagged in and immediately nailed David with a high knee followed by a nice vertical suplex. Grinding Von Erich’s face into the mat, he caused Schultz to complain to the ref allowing Sheik to come in for a thrust to Von Erich’s throat. Race nailed Von Erich with a belly-to-belly and then tagged in Sheik who hit Von Erich with a gut buster and then put him in an abdominal stretch.

By this point Schultz was egging on the fans to give Von Erich some support and finally Von Erich was able to hip toss Sheik over and escape from the hold. Sheik went for a quick belly-to-back suplex, but David reversed it taking both men down. He dragged himself to the corner and tagged in Schultz right before a newly tagged in Race cut him off. Schultz took Race down with a big scoop slam before nailing back to the mat with a bulldog. Sheik ran at him only to be backdropped almost over the top rope. Soon Von Erich was back to his feet and both popular Davids ran wild with “Dr. D” hitting the Sheik with a piledriver and Von Erich trapping Race in the Iron Claw.

Suddenly, Schultz was blindsided with a chair to the back, causing Von Erich to let go, turn around and also be hit with a chair causing him to sail over the top by Terry Funk! The ref called for a DQ at 16:35 as Funk hit Schultz with a series of punches and then an atomic drop causing Schultz to also head outside. Soon Funk, Race, and the Sheik were triple-teaming Schultz and Von Erich with brutal punches and kicks. Race hit Von Erich with a cradle suplex and Sheik had Schultz in the Camel Clutch as Funk kicked Schultz in the face and yelled insults.

There was an audible rise in the crowd noise as Ric Flair appeared in street clothes, running into the ring, causing Funk to quickly roll out. Sheik was nailed with chops and rolled out and Race went for a sleeper until Flair backed him into the corner breaking the hold. As Race ran back out, Flair back dropped him and went for the figure-four only to be nailed from behind by Funk and Sheik. Buddy Rogers appeared at the announce booth and got on the house mic yelling “Take him down, take him down!” Terry Funk pulled the chair previously used into the center of the ring and gave Flair a piledriver right onto the hard, cold steel.)

N83DE9i.png

Buddy Rogers - Whoooo! Look at the “Nature Boy”! Whooooo!

(Race, Funk, and Sheik join Rogers at the booth while Von Erich and Schultz tend to Flair among medical staff)

oQTkuEr.png

Terry Funk - You were right Buddy, Ric Flair is a puke faced fool and doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as me, you, Harley, or even the paper boy from down the street. The NWA World Heavyweight Title can't be brought down by men that don’t know when to just say no!

Buddy Rogers - Ric Flair, on one side I have Harley Race, on another Terry Funk, and on yet another future U.S. champion The Iron Sheik! You have no friends! You have no legacy! You have no claim to the title! You are nothing!

Terry Funk - And Schultz and Von Erich are redneck trash and I know redneck trash!

(David Schultz and David Von Erich hit the booth going after Funk, Race, and Sheik while Rogers heads to the back. Schultz is taking it to Funk while Von Erich tries to keep both Sheik and Race at bay)

Bob Caudle - I’m sorry folks, we’re out of time! We’ll see what happens next week, hopefully Ric Flair is OK, so long!

Great ending to the show. Definitely want to see more of that.

Thanks, it's actually really fun to write that type of stuff. Comes out easily.

Really wish Funk was sticking around. Every use of him so far has me wanting more in that role. Sheik/Flair needs to go on for a while. I'm liking the Vachons vs. Taylor/Guerrero feud also.

Thanks. We really should have picked a period where Funk was still around as a regular.

Saturday August 13th 1983

MACW Live from the Civic Center in Roanoke, Virginia.

Brad Rheingans defeated Doug Vines in 9:05 with a bridging cradle suplex.

Tonga Kid defeated Bob Bradley in 7:35 with a flying crossbody press.

Butcher Vachon defeated Joe Lightfoot in 4:03 by making him submit to the Hangman's Hold.

Mad Dog Vachon defeated Billy Two Eagles in 8:03 with a piledriver.

NWAWTag.png

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Russians © (Volkoff & Markoff) defeated Terry Taylor & Hector Guerrero in 15:33 when Volkoff pinned Guerrero following Lenin's Tomb after Crusher Darsow pulled Taylor off the apron.

Michael Hayes defeated Scott Casey in 9:33 with a DDT.

NWAUS-1.png

Dr. D Dave Schultz © defeated Crusher Darsow in 16:54 with a diving corkscrew elbow.

CO-MAIN EVENT LUMBERJACK MATCH

Ric Flair and The Iron Sheik went to a no-contest in 18:33 after both men and all the lumberjacks began brawling out of control.

NWAWorld.png

CO-MAIN EVENT NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Harley Race © defeated NWA World Television Champion Terry Gordy in 19:23 when Race lifted his shoulder out of a back suplex with Gordy pinning himself.

Sunday August 14th 1983

MACW Live from the Scope in Norfolk, Virginia.

Brad Rheingans and The Tonga Kid defeated Doug Vines and Ben Alexander in 4:21 when Kid pinned Alexander with a flying crossbody press.

Crusher Darsow defeated Bill White in 3:02 with a powerslam. He then got on the mic and called for another challenge, one to try and show him how strong Americans can really be. Bob Bradley came out and also lost in another 3:02 with a powerslam.

Scott Casey defeated Joe Lightfoot in 9:26 with a bulldog.

Terry Taylor and Hector Guerrero defeated The Vachons (Mad Dog and Butcher) in 16:33 when Mad Dog was DQ'ed for kicking the ref in the head to break up a pin after Taylor hit Butcher with a flying forearm.

NWAUS-1.png

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © defeated NWA World Tag Team Champion Nikolai Volkoff in 15:12 with a piledriver.

MAIN EVENT LUMBERJACK MATCH

Michael Hayes and The Iron Sheik went to a no-contest at 20:15 after both men and all the lumberjacks began brawling out of control.

Monday August 15th 1983

MACW Live from Dorton Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina

Tonga Kid defeated Bob Bradley in 12:41 with a flying crossbody press.

Scott Casey defeated Rudy Diamond in 5:51 with a bulldog.

NWAWTag.png

Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor defeated The Russians (Volkoff & Markoff) © by DQ in 13:31 when Volkoff was disqualified for breaking up a pin by stomping on the ref following a Taylor flying forearm to Markoff.

Crusher Darsow defeated Brad Rheingans in 15:24 with the Russian Sickle.

MAIN EVENT

Michael Hayes and David Schultz defeated The Iron Sheik and Mad Dog Vachon in 21:20 when Schultz pinned Vachon with a piledriver.

Tuesday August 16th 1983

MACW Live from Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg, South Carolina

Terry Taylor defeated Ben Alexander in 7:25 with a flying forearm smash.

The Iron Sheik defeated Hector Guerrero in 13:10 with the Iranian Drop (two-handed chokeslam).

Brad Rheingans defeated Crusher Darsow by DQ in 7:05 when Darsow grabbed the ref as Rheingans went for a german suplex.

Chris Markoff defeated The Tonga Kid in 13:00 with the Russian Sickle

The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Gordy) defeated The Vachons (Mad Dog & Butcher) in 10:10 when Gordy pinned Butcher following a powerbomb.

NWAUS-1.png

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © defeated "Cowboy" Scott Casey in 11:01 with a piledriver.

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Nikolai Volkoff in 18:21 by making him submit to the Figure-Four.

Thanks, feels very gratifying to get such great feedback. Consistency is the key, it's a real routine right now to just post my daily results. As long as I can stay on point, I'll be able to keep MACW going for a long time.

Flair gets to have the most fun right now cause of the impending title run, but 1984 will be a real trip for the Birds.

I can't wait to post the next TV leading to that night's Greensboro show, "Summertime Blues".

Thursday August 18th 1983

MACW Television Taping from Memorial Coliseum in Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Return of the Funker Terry Funk made a surprise return last week attacking Ric Flair, David Schultz, and David Von Erich. Tonight he challenges David Schultz in a contest for the NWA United States Title!

Tag Champion in singles action One half of the NWA World Tag Team Champions Nikolai Volkoff takes on a member of MACW's hottest up and coming tag team, Terry Taylor. Chris Markoff and Hector Guerrero are sure to be at ringside. And what about Crusher Darsow?

Plus...

Cowboy vs. Indian Round 2 as Scott Casey takes on Billy Two Eagles after making quick work of Joe Lightfoot last week!

David Von Erich, The Iron Sheik, and Michael Hayes will be in action!

Don't miss...

Rogers Corner with Sgt. Slaughter!

An appearance by...

Ric Flair! Still recovering from Funk's attack last week, he's got some words for the former NWA World Champion, as well as current champion Harley Race.

To be aired on Saturday, August 20th.

Friday August 19th 1983

MACW Live from Township Auditorium in Columbia, South Carolina

Tonga Kid defeated Bob Bradley in 8:30 with a flying crossbody press.

Terry Taylor defeated Butcher Vachon in 11:23 with a flying forearm smash.

Brad Rheingans defeated Crusher Darsow by countout in 11:51 when Darsow rolled out of the ring after a german suplex.

Mad Dog Vachon defeated Hector Guerrero in 7:50 with a piledriver after biting Guerrero's forehead after a ref bump.

NON-TITLE

The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Gordy) defeated NWA World Tag Team Champions The Russians (Volkoff & Markoff) in 9:12 when Gordy pinned Markoff following a powerbomb following botched interference by Crusher Darsow.

NWAUS-1.png

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © defeated The Iron Shiek by DQ in 13:01 when Sheik broke his Iranian flag across Schultz's back and put him in the Camel Clutch until multiple referees and preliminary wrestlers were able to break the hold.

Terry Funk defeated David Von Erich in 16:55 after a rollup with a handful of tights.

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Sgt. Slaughter in 20:45 after kicking off the top turnbuckle while in Slaughter's Cobra Clutch causing both men to fall backwards with Slaughter's shoulders on the mat due to him not breaking the hold.

1348126370_7656_NWA%20logo.jpg?itok=1Waj

220px-Jim_Crockett_Promotions_%28logo%29

23msj8o.jpg

Jim Crockett Promotions in compliance with the National Wrestling Alliance presents - Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling from Memorial Coliseum in Winston-Salem, North Carolina with your hosts Bob Caudle & David Crockett!

Bob+and+David.JPG

Bob Caudle - Hello everyone, Bob Caudle here along with David Crockett for another big show from Jim Crockett Promotions and Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling!

David Crockett - That’s right Bob and after last week, you just know that Ric Flair, David Schultz, and David Von Erich will be looking for some revenge.

Bob Caudle - It was a regular Murderer’s Row last week with “Nature Boy” Buddy Rogers leading an attack on our fan favorites with The Iron Sheik, NWA World Champion Harley Race, and in a big surprise, Terry Funk! Let’s take a look at what went down.

(Footage is shown of the last 5 minutes of the previous week’s show with Terry Funk piledriving Ric Flair onto a steel chair and David Schultz and David Von Erich brawling with Harley Race and The Iron Sheik while Buddy Rogers yelled out orders)

David Crockett - David Schultz is so upset about last week that he will put his NWA United States Title on the line to get into the ring with Terry Funk right here tonight!

Bob Caudle - Ric Flair is here, David Von Erich will be in action, and tonight on Rogers’ Corner, Buddy Rogers welcomes Sgt. Slaughter.

David Crockett - The hits just keep coming, I don't see us getting out of here without some sort of major brawl Bob.

Bob Caudle - Lots of big stars in Mid-Atlantic this week as we prepare for tonight’s show in Greensboro, a show so bursting full of big time matches we can only call it “Summertime Blues”.

David Crockett - There ain’t no cure Bob. We’ll be running down some of those big matches in just a little bit, but lets head to the ring for our opening match as David Von Erich shows us just what he’s made of.

mTIVdof.png

David Von Erich vs. Ben Alexander

(David Von Erich played to the crowd and acknowledged his cheers before the match started, but once the bell rang he was all business laying into Alexander with lefts and rights. He worked at a leisurely pace showcasing his skills for the Mid-Atlantic audience including his patented high knee before finishing by making Alexander submit to the Von Erich trademark Iron Claw at 4:13.)

Bob Caudle - And David Von Erich makes quick work of Ben Alexander.

David Crockett - No surprise there Bob. When you come from a background as rich the Von Erich’s you’d need a top notch opponent to cause David to sweat.

(David Von Erich heads to the announce booth)

Bob Caudle - Now David, we know that last week you had a run in with some of the biggest stars in professional wrestling today. Terry Funk and Buddy Rogers are former NWA World Champions, Harley Race is the current NWA World Champion, but I’ve heard that you have your sights set on someone else.

David Von Erich - That’s right, I mean jeez Bob I can’t let the Iron Sheik go around saying the type of stuff he’s saying about the good old U.S.A can I? All this talk about creating an NWA Iranian belt if he beats David Schultz? I have faith in my fellow David, but Sheik’s going to have to go through me first tonight in Greensboro at Summertime Blues.

Bob Caudle - Well, interesting timing David. We’ve got The Iron Sheik coming out right now for a match against Bob Bradley.

David Von Erich - That’s fine, I don’t want to hold the show up, I’ll show him what Texas and the US of A is about tonight.

(The Iron Sheik walks out and heads right over to David Von Erich staring him down. Von Erich returns the glare. All of a sudden, Sheik spits in David’s face causing David to flinch and then immediately throw a solid punch knocking Sheik’s headpiece off. Before they can go at it, preliminary wrestlers from the back run out and hold David back as Sheik walks to the ring taunting Von Erich)

David Crockett - Holy moly, we almost had a brawl on our hands.

Bob Caudle - You never know what you’re going to see on Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, but we do know that tonight these two titans will go at it Greensboro at the Coliseum.

5Qjssuq.png

The Iron Sheik vs. Bob Bradley

(Sheik seemed to be having fun tossing Bradley around like a rag doll with belly to back, belly to belly, and gutwrench suplexes followed by an impressive gutbuster. Bradley got a short comeback with some quick dropkicks that knocked Sheik off balance, but Bradley was quickly was brought back down to earth with a short-arm clothesline. Sheik slapped on the Camel Clutch and laughed as Bradley screamed with pain as he submitted at 5:34.)

David Crockett - I don’t know Bob, both Von Erich and the Sheik looked mighty impressive today.

Bob Caudle - It’ll be a battle tonight David, but right now we need to head over to Rogers Corner where “Nature Boy” Buddy Rogers has yet another exciting guest for us.

(Pan over to Rogers’ Corner, a set up with two chairs. Buddy Rogers is sitting in one with a mic)

CIJTM37.png

Buddy Rogers - Welcome one and all to Rogers Corner, the highlight of Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling each and every week. I’ve brought you Harley Race and Terry Funk, but today we have one of the most impressive men in the sport today. Just a few months ago he was on top of the world here in Mid-Atlantic, but now he’s making a scene in Puerto Rico, here is Sgt. Slaughter!

(Buddy Rogers brings his hand up in a military salute as Sgt. Slaughter walks out wearing his usual hat.)

2cNXD7F.png

Sgt. Slaughter - At ease Mr. Rogers. I appreciate the respect, but I should really be saluting you.

Buddy Rogers - How kind of you to say. First, I have to mention how impressed I was with your past battles here in Mid-Atlantic. You really were a one man wrecking crew.

Sgt. Slaughter - Thank you, thank you. After disposing of those maggots Steamboat and Youngblood, I knew I had accomplished all I could in the Mid-Atlantic area so I set my sights on bringing purpose and respect to other parts of the world, just like America always has. Puerto Rico is just the first stop on Sgt. Slaughter’s Goodwill Tour.

Buddy Rogers - I’m a bit jealous, those Puerto Ricans are going to learn a lot.

Sgt. Slaughter - Absolutely they will. Because if my standards aren’t met, there’s going to a lot of maggots who will feel the power of the Cobra Clutch.

Buddy Rogers - Well, I’ve asked you here today Sergeant because we have a bit of a pest problem here in Mid-Atlantic. You see, there’s not only an imposter “Nature Boy” running around by the name of Ric Flair, but our so-called United States Champion is a redneck by the name of “Dr. D” David Schultz who we all know is certainly no doctor.

Sgt. Slaughter - Doesn’t seem to be much of an American either.

Buddy Rogers - That’s right. Tonight in Greensboro, I’m going to solve my Flair problem with the help of the one and only Terry Funk, but when it comes to U.S. Champions, I knew there was only one man I needed to call; the man who held that belt for 305 days.

Sgt. Slaughter - I take it that’s an order, sir.

Buddy Rogers - It is, and I know you’ll get the job done tonight.

(David Schultz comes out, United States title over his shoulder and barges onto the set.)

David Schultz - My ears are bleeding! Buddy Rogers, you think this overgrown G.I. Joe doll is gonna take my title back to Puerto Rico? That don’t sound very likely to me. I know what’s actually gonna happen is I’ll beat this boy from the Halls of Montezuma all the way to the shores of Tripoli, have a cold one, keep my title, have another cold one, and wake up in someone else’s bed tomorrow morning.

(Sgt. Slaughter fumes, but Rogers keeps him back)

Buddy Rogers - Say what you want, if Slaughter can’t get the job done, I know the Iron Sheik will!

(Slaughter glares at Rogers and starts to question what was just said, but Rogers quickly placates him off-mic. Schultz laughs as we head back to Caudle and Crockett)

Bob Caudle - Slaughter and Schultz, tonight for the United States Title.

David Crockett - We know what kind of man Sgt. Slaughter is. I thought we were rid of him Bob.

Bob Caudle - One can only imagine what will happen if wins that US belt for the third time.

David Crockett - Yeah, next week we’ll have a Cobra Clutch Challenge.

Bob Caudle - Let’s not jump the gun David. If anyone can take down the Sarge it’s David Schultz. Now let’s head to the ring for our first feature match of the evening, NWA World Tag Champion Nikolai Volkoff warms up for his team’s big title defense against the Freebirds tonight with one member of a team that’s making waves, Terry Taylor.

rOIdRSm.pngQ0uQQSW.png

Nikolai Volkoff vs. Terry Taylor

(Both men came out with their respective partners (Chris Markoff, Hector Guerrero), but neither impacted the match until the very end. At first Taylor kept Volkoff off-balance with multiple dropkicks and when Volkoff tried to grab Taylor from behind, Taylor was able to counter with a quick jawbreaker, followed by a swinging neck breaker that sent Volkoff from the ring to regroup. Soon however, Volkoff’s superior size and veteran experience slowed things down. Taylor spent some time in Volkoff’s huge bearhug and was subject to the pain of a gorilla press slam into a backbreaker. Still Taylor was able to kick out as Guerrero led the fans in motivating cheers.

Volkoff went back to the bearhug one time too many and Taylor was able to box his ears and scramble up and over Volkoff’s back taking him down with a sunset flip for a close two count. Taylor went to the ropes to set up a flying forearm only for Markoff to grab his right leg, tripping him down. Guerrero immediately ran over and began brawling with Markoff at ringside. As the referee was distracted, Crusher Darsow ran out and got on the apron looking to help Volkoff clinch the victory. Unfortunately for the Russians, Taylor reversed an Irish whip causing the unaware Volkoff to collide with Darsow sending him backwards into a rollup for the pin at 12:44.)

(As Volkoff, Markoff, and Darsow recovered, Hector Guerrero ran into the ring and celebrated with his partner.)

David Crockett - Wow, what an upset! Terry Taylor defeats Tag Champion Nikolai Volkoff!

Bob Caudle - Here comes Taylor now, let’s get a word.

Terry Taylor - Wow! I don’t know what to sa-

Hector Guerrero - I do! The Russians just learned that Guerreros and friends of the Guerreros aren’t to be taken lightly! I’m going to be a tag team champion real soon baby!

(Guerrero grabs Taylor around the shoulder and mugs for the camera before the two head to the back still celebrating)

David Crockett - Those two are over the moon, as they should be. But wait, it looks like there’s some dissension among the Russians.

(Volkoff, Markoff, and Darsow head to the announce desk. Volkoff pokes Darsow in the chest and screams in Russian before switching to English.)

Nikolai Volkoff - You! You are not wanted! You are not Russian! You are not Soviet! You are not Tag Champion!

Crusher Darsow - I’m sorry, I made a mistake! Please don’t do this!

Chris Markoff - You were never part of this team Darsow. We did not request your presence. Stop sticking your American nose into our business.

Crusher Darsow - Please, next time wil-

Nikolai Volkoff - There is no next time! No more warnings!

(Volkoff and Markoff storm off leaving Darsow to plead alone.)

Bob Caudle - And it looks like Crusher Darsow’s Russian allegiance was all in his head.

David Crockett - Chris Markoff was right though Bob, I don’t think the Russians have ever even acknowledged Darsow before this.

Bob Caudle - All three men are going to have a chance to change their luck tonight with The Russians defending against The Freebirds in a Badstreet Match and Darsow’s chickens coming home to roost as he meets Brad Rheingans.

David Crockett - Lots of big matches announced, but that’s not even the whole of it. The main event is Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk!

Bob Caudle - A huge card tonight for the Carolinas. Now let’s head back to the ring as Billy Two Eagles tries to get revenge on Scott Casey for these actions last week.

(Footage from last week is shown with Casey defeating Joe Lightfoot, mocking his Native American heritage, and challenging Billy Two Eagles)

Zqjp7JP.png5UUNXOX.png

“Cowboy” Scott Casey vs. Billy Two Eagles

(Eagles caught Casey off guard by immediately laying into him with chops before taking him off his feet with a big clothesline. Eagles did his war dance and got the crowd cheering and when Casey got up and threw some punches, Eagles was able to give them right back, knocking Casey into a corner to regroup. Eventually Casey was able to hit a shoulderbreaker, but missed a bulldog allowing Eagles to slap on a bow-and-arrow submission which almost got the job done.. Eagles went up for a flying knee drop, but was crotched on the top after Casey knocked into the ropes. Casey took advantage of Eagles precarious position and hit a big superplex for the victory in 6:32.)

(After the match Casey picked Eagles up, kicked him in the gut, and drove him back down with a successful bulldog)

David Crockett - Scott Casey narrowly defeats Billy Two Eagles, but that post-match attack was uncalled for.

Scott Casey - Get out my way Crockett, it’s a real man’s time to talk. I said it once, but I guess I gotta say it again, this ain’t no Little Bighorn and no injun is gonna beat a real-life cowboy. I know Lightfoot and Eagles are gonna be hidin’ in their teepees, lookin’ over their shoulders to make sure I’m not there to beat them down again and again. Cause you know I will!

(Chief Jay Strongbow suddenly appears from the back)

David Crockett - Oh my, it’s Chief Jay Strongbow!

Chief Jay Strongbow - Scott Casey, you’ve insulted my people and now you’re looking at the man who will avenge the insults you’ve placed upon my brothers Joe Lightfoot and Billy Two Eagles tonight in Greensboro.

Scott Casey - Oh really? Cause all I see is another dead inj-

(Strongbow chops Casey so hard in the chest he goes flying over the announce booth out of sight for the camera. Casey gets up fists raised, but Strongbow is already heading to the back)

Bob Caudle - Chief Jay Strongbow, in Mid-Atlantic to take down Scott Casey.

David Crockett - Wow, Casey vs. Strongbow, tonight in Greensboro!

Bob Caudle - Now we’re going to see Michael Hayes in action, but I know the Freebirds have some things to say about tonight’s tag title match.

(“Badstreet USA” plays and Hayes and Gordy make their way out to the desk)

t77hpyD.png

Michael Hayes - The boys are back in town and soon Brother Buddy is gonna come back to Mid-Atlantic and be given a tag team title because tonight the Russians’ reign of terror ends.

Terry Gordy - I’m gonna be a double champion!

Michael Hayes - That’s because you’re double tough! You know, they’re a lot of new faces here in the Carolinas: Scott Casey, David Schultz, The Iron Sheik,

Terry Gordy - Terry Funk, Hector Guerrero and Terry Taylor,

Michael Hayes - Sgt. Slaughter, The Tonga Kid, hell my cousin told me he wants to come in and throw down here.

Terry Gordy - Cousin Franklin?

Michael Hayes - You know it, and the point is that there may be a lot of new faces here, including us Freebirds, but us Freebirds are here to stay. This here is Freebird territory now and no Iranian, Russian,

Terry Gordy - Wannabe Russian,

Michael Hayes - or Cowboy is gonna change that! And tonight Volkoff and Markoff, you’re gonna find yourself on a real bad side of town and those titles will find a new place to dwell, down at the end of a badstreet baby!

Bob Caudle - And to the ring where Tony Zane awaits Michael Hayes for our next contest.

Michael Hayes vs. Tony Zane

(Gordy headed to the back as Hayes took his time, but was totally in control, fooling around for the entire match. He strutted and mocked Zane before finally finishing him off with a DDT at 4:31)

(Suddenly Volkoff and Markoff rushed the ring and nailed Hayes from behind with a double clothesline. Markoff picked him up and Volkoff hit Lenin’s Tomb before Terry Gordy ran down with a chair clearing the Russians from the ring.)

David Crockett - Those dirty Russians, off all the low down things!

Bob Caudle - The Freebirds will have a chance for revenge tonight, but now let’s go to Tony Schiavone in the ring as he runs down the card of Mid-Atlantic’s big end of the summer extravaganza, Summertime Blues!

Tony Schiavone - Thanks Bob! And what a card we have for you tonight!

The fans in Greensboro will see:

The Tonga Kid take on Doug Vines

Chief Jay Strongbow challenge “Cowboy” Scott Casey

Crusher Darsow face the man he betrayed, Brad Rheingans

Hector Guerrero and Terry Taylor try to keep their hot streak alive against The Vachons

David Von Erich battles The Iron Sheik

NWAWTag.png

The NWA World Tag Team Titles are on the line in a Badstreet Match with The Russians facing Michael Hayes and NWA World Television Champion Terry Gordy of the Fabulous Freebirds.

There are no rules!

NWAUS-1.png

NWA United States Champion “Dr. D” David Schultz faces the challenge of former champion Sgt. Slaughter

and in our main event…

“The Nature Boy” Ric Flair faces off with Terry Funk!

Bob Caudle - Thank you Tony! I’ve seen many big shows before in Mid-Atlantic, but that’s a real doozy.

David Crockett - It really is Bob. So many big names, Mid-Atlantic really is the place to be.

Bob Caudle - Before our main event I know that there’s one man who has some things to get off his chest, the one and only “Nature Boy Ric Flair”!

(Ric Flair walks out wearing a neck brace.)

ric-flair-panthers-49ers.png?w=1000

Ric Flair - I'm walking around with a neck brace unable to do basic tasks due to Terry Funk’s attack on me last week. Buddy Rogers! Iron Sheik! Terry Funk! Harley Race! You’ve all banded together to take me out! Why me? Why the Nature Boy? Whoo! Buddy Rogers, you think I’m not worthy of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship? I held that belt for almost two years, taking on every top name in the business. Iron Sheik? Already beat you. Terry Funk? Already beat you. Harley Race? Already beat you and I’ll beat you again! Whoo!

But that can wait for now. Because Terry Funk, you dare come into Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, you come into my house and blindside me? Now let’s get it straight; you know, I’ve been wrestling for ten years. I’ve done it all, I’ve paid my dues. And no one, I don’t care if your God himself, will come into my home and treat me the way you have. Terry Funk! I’m going to retire you! I’m going to send you home to Amarillo in a bag marked return to sender! You’re through! Because guess what? You hurt me bad last week, you really did, but....my neck is A-OK. I've got the best doctors and masseuses money can buy!

(Flair tears the neck brace off)

Whooooo! And Buddy Rogers and Harley Race? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, whether you like it or not, learn to love it because “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair is the best thing going today! Whoooooooo!

Bob Caudle - That’s “Nature Boy” Ric Flair talking about his match with Terry Funk tonight and I understand he’s now going to join us on commentary for our big main event match right now, NWA United States Champion David Schultz defends his belt against the one and only Terry Funk.

David Crockett - And as we get set for that I want all the fans to know that already signed for next week will be Mad Dog Vachon vs. The Tonga Kid, Buddy Roberts of the Freebirds will be back in action against Butcher Vachon, and this just in, World Champion Harley Race will be back in Richmond, Virginia with us next week.

Ric Flair - I’m calling it right now, when I finish off Terry Funk tonight in Greensboro, I’ll have no distractions keeping me away from Harley Race. Harley Race, next week, me and you, mano-a-mano, for the title!

Bob Caudle - Well there you go, it looks like we may get the biggest rematch of the year next week right here on Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, but now lets head to the ring.

YxNHH4h.pngoQTkuEr.png

NWAUS-1.png

NWA United States Championship - “Dr. D” David Schultz vs. Terry Funk

(Schultz was already in the ring and ran out to attack Funk as he began his entrance. Funk shook off a couple of rights and actually ran into the bleachers to recover and throw a tantrum. He finally entered the ring and Schultz continued to unload some closed fists to the face knocking Funk all over the place. Funk was able to get the upper hand after low blowing Schultz while the ref had forced a break in the corner. Funk beat on Schultz with more punches, an atomic drop, and a brain buster for a very close 2 count. He slammed Schultz with a nice suplex, but a second attempt led to Schultz reversing it, sending both men over the top.

They both took much of the ref’s count to recover, but then started brawling around the ring with Funk being sent hard into the post. Back in, Funk was able to reverse an Irish whip and take Schultz down with a backdrop. Trying for the piledriver, Funk was unable to get Schultz up and was backdropped himself. Schultz went up top and hit his corkscrew elbow, but Funk got his foot on the ropes. Schultz then went for his own piledriver, but was again low blowed after giving Schultz dead weight on each attempt. Both men spent time recovering and with both on their feet the punches began again. On one punch, Schultz ducked under and grabbed Funk into a backslide and surprisingly was able to grab him for the flash 3-count at 17:31.)

(The Iron Sheik started to come out, but before Flair could leave the announce desk David Von Erich tackled Sheik and the two began brawling. Sgt. Slaughter then appeared and as Schultz was getting up after his long hard-fought battle, Slaughter swooped in and put him the Cobra Clutch. Flair tried to hit the ring and make the save, but was caught by Funk who began brawling with Flair.)

David Crockett - Madness, this is madness! Von Erich and the Sheik are almost in the crowd!

Bob Caudle - Schultz is still locked in the Cobra Clutch and Flair just sent Funk backstage! We’re out of time folks, but you’re getting a taste of some of the battles taking place in just a few hours. We’ll have news for you next week, so long!

MACW SUMMERTIME BLUES

Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro North Carolina

August 20th, 1983

The Tonga Kid defeated Doug Vines in 8:52 after coming off the top with a flying crossbody press. Standard opener to get the young Samoan over with high flying moves and a segment where Vines continually tried to headbutt Kid and slam his head into the turnbuckle only to slowly realize that wrestlers from the South Pacific have ridiculously hard heads.

"Cowboy" Scott Casey defeated Chief Jay Strongbow in 4:52 with a bulldog. In a quick almost-squash, Strongbow took the advantage quick with chops, keeping Casey out of the ring in fear, but Casey soon realized that a 55 year old wrestler who can barely move posed little danger. Just like with Lightfoot and Eagles, Casey made short work of Strongbow and this time stomped on Strongbow's headdress after the match.

Crusher Darsow defeated Brad Rheingans in 9:40 by reversing a victory roll. Darsow surprisingly wrestled clean and fair for the entire match and exchanged rough-looking power moves with Rheingans all the way through to the end where Rheingans climbed to the top and ended up on Darsow's shoulders attempting a victory roll, only for Darsow to clamp down halfway though keeping Rheingans down for the clean pin. Darsow didn't celebrate and just walked to the back with his head down.

Terry Taylor and Hector Guerrero defeated The Vachons (Mad Dog and Butcher) in 12:48 when Taylor pinned Mad Dog with the flying forearm. Taylor played face-in-peril for the majority of the match with Hector shouting encouragement from the apron keeping the fans involved. Taylor was brutalized with uppercuts, chokes, slams, suplexes, and even some bites from the French-Canadien monsters. Finally he was able to avoid a charge by Butcher into the corner and tag in Hector who was a real house of fire. Hector thought he got the pin on Mad Dog after hitting his slingshot crossbody, but the ref only counted two. In the end, it was up to Taylor to nail Mad Dog with his flying forearm smash and pick up the victory. Guerrero looked a bit annoyed when Taylor got the pin, but soon celebrated and shouted that they would be the next NWA World Tag Team Champions.

The Iron Sheik defeated David Von Erich in 14:20 when Buddy Rogers ran in and distracted the referee allowing The Iron Sheik to nail David from behind with his Persian clubs before putting him in the Camel Clutch.

NWAWTag.png

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - BADSTREET MATCH

The Russians (Volkoff & Markoff) © defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Gordy) in 14:34 to retain the title. This match went all over ringside at times with The Russians hitting Lenin's Tomb on Hayes on the floor and Gordy hitting a big boot on Markoff on the apron knocking him to the concrete being highlights of this all-out brawl. At the end Crusher Darsow came down as each team was recovering and Volkoff yelled at him to go away. Darsow came into the ring and Volkoff went up to him and pushed him back. Darsow took a moment and then pushed Volkoff back even harder. Michael Hayes saw this and started to walk up behind Volkoff. Before Volkoff could throw a punch in return, Darsow pushed him out of the way and nailed Hayes with a fist that apparently contained a roll of quarters as they went flying all over the ring. Darsow and Markoff double-teamed Gordy and Volkoff was able to get the pin. Volkoff, Markoff, and Darsow all hugged and Darsow walked to the back with them with both titles in his hands.

NWAUS-1.png

"Dr. D" Dave Schultz © defeated Sgt. Slaughter in 19:52 with a flying corkscrew elbow. During the match Schultz was able to break the Cobra Clutch by pushing back off the turnbuckle for a close 2-count that made Slaughter break in order to not get pinned. Another rough brawl where Slaughter hit his gut buster and flying clothesline to almost pick up the victory, but in the end Schultz was able to nail his corkscrew elbow for the victory. After the match Schultz stuck his hand out for a handshake in respect for a hard fought battle and to the surprise of the crowd, Slaughter accepted.

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Terry Funk in 19:01 with a piledriver. Non-stop action, with Flair and Funk really going at it. Flair was busted open when Buddy Rogers (who was at ringside with Funk) nailed him in the head with his cane. Funk hit Flair with a piledriver causing the crowd to gasp, but Flair was able to get his foot on the ropes. In the end Flair ducked out of the way of another cane shot causing Rogers to hit Funk and then he nailed Funk with two piledrivers for the big victory.

Man, what a great Coliseum show. I smell a certain football playing Indian chief coming in sometime soon to make Casey pay for his crimes. Darsow had a great show even if I'm not a fan. Taylor and Guerrero are showing signs of dissension in the ranks, but I would have loved to see that match. Sheik vs. David seemed like it was sort of shoehorned in, but it works for what you were doing during that part of the show. The tag championship match was great and I hope alternate universe me has the good sense to watch that some day. Damn those sneaky Russians anyway. Last two matches were a great way to send the crowd home happy. All in all, I'd say you knocked the big show out of the park.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping to keep up the hot run of Greensboro shows as I continue and right now I have some pretty exciting monthly cards planned all the way to Christmas and New Years.

A) You are on the right track with Casey, but nothing like that will happen for some time. It just worked out that I was able to grab Eagles and Strongbow in the dispersal drafts and so I ran with it. Casey is the type of guy who I had very little for originally and its organically grown. But yes some more Native Americans will be making appearances sometime down the line. Actually if you take a look at who is on this show, you may be able to figure out who Casey will be facing on the next episode of MACW.

B ) Sheik and David was kind of a last choice dancing partners thing, but they've had a lot of interaction on the three shows I've posted so far, especially on the last one posted right before the Coliseum show. Main thing was to keep Sheik strong as he transitions off of the constant Flair matches and makes a run on David Schultz starting right now.

Sunday August 21st 1983

MACW Live from the Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina

Butcher Vachon defeated Ben Alexander in 8:43 with a full nelson slam.

Chief Jay Strongbow & Billy Two Eagles defeated Tony Zane & Doug Vines in 7:40 when Eagles pinned Vines after a flying chop to the head.

Mad Dog Vachon defeated Brad Rheingans in 10:24 with a running headbutt.

NWATV.png

Terry Gordy © defeated NWA World Tag Team Champion Chris Markoff in 8:10 with a high angle back suplex.

NWA World Tag Team Champion Nikolai Volkoff defeated Terry Taylor in 12:30 with the Russian Sickle.

NWAUS-1.png

Dr. D Dave Schultz © defeated Crusher Darsow in 15:18 with a flying corkscrew elbow.

Michael Hayes defeated The Iron Sheik in 14:13 when Buddy Rogers accidentally nailed Sheik with his own Persian Clubs leading to Hayes hitting a DDT.

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Scott Casey in 18:10 when Casey kept his shoulders down for 3 while in the figure-four leg lock. Casey argued with the ref after the match.

Monday August 22nd 1983

MACW Live from the Sumter County Exhibition Center in Sumter, South Carolina

Tonga Kid defeated Bob Bradley in 10:01 with a flying crossbody press.

Butcher Vachon defeated Joe Lightfoot in 5:15 by making him submit to the Hangman's Hold.

Chief Jay Strongbow & Billy Two Eagles defeated Tony Zane & Tiger Williams in 7:21 when Eagles pinned Zane after a flying chop.

Mad Dog Vachon defeated Brad Rheingans in 8:12 with a diving headbutt running off the ropes to a standing Rheingans.

NWAWTag.png

The Russians (Volkoff & Markoff) © and The Fabulous Freebirds (Gordy & Roberts) went to a double countout at 15:33 when the fight spilled out of the ring and never returned.

MAIN EVENT

Michael Hayes and Scott Casey went to a time-limit draw at 30:00.

Tuesday August 23rd 1983

MACW Live from the Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg, South Carolina

Billy Two Eagles defeated Tony Zane in 5:12 with a flying standing chop to the head.

Hector Guerrero & Terry Taylor defeated The Vachons (Mad Dog & Butcher) in 12:01 when Guerrero pinned Butcher following a double dropkick.

Crusher Darsow defeated The Tonga Kid in 11:25 with a Russian Sickle to the back of the head.

NWATV.png

Terry Gordy © defeated Brad Rheingans in 10:04 with a high angle back suplex. Gordy and Rheingans shook hands after the match.

NWAWTag.png

The Russians © (Volkoff & Markoff) defeated The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Roberts) in 10:32 when Volkoff pinned Roberts with Lenin's Tomb while Crusher Darsow ran down to distract Michael Hayes.

NWAUS-1.png

Dr. D Dave Schultz © defeated The Iron Sheik by DQ in 14:34 when Sheik hit Schultz with his Persian Club.

MAIN EVENT

Ric Flair defeated Scott Casey in 19:25 after moving out of the way of Casey's bulldog followed by a small package.