Pro Wrestling Only

[1982-01-18-WWF-MSG NY] Bob Backlund vs Adrian Adonis

Superstar Sleeze

WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Adrian Adonis - MSG 1/18/82

In the stodgy, lumbering early 80s World Wreslting Federation, Bob Backlund brings a dynamism more akin to Mid-Atlantic. I don't want to say that is overlooked by his proponents, but I don't think his critics give him enough credit for working the cutting edge style of movement in an area where everyone was accustomed to a slower pace. Yes, Backlund works holds, but he is always working the headlock or arm and peppering in spots in between. Adonis is a perfect opponent for Backlund in this regard because he excels at bumping and moving. Even though the majority of the match revolves around a long heel in peril sequence, it never drags too much because Backlund is always working the arm and Adonis working ways to get out, but ends up thwarted in a most entertaining fashion. The story was Backlund using Adonis' desperation against him by countering at every turn from the get go. This is a Backlund staple: you go running at him with a fist and he will single leg pick up you to make you foolish. So a similar effect he was always reapplying his wristlock. Adonis rolls up on the armstretcher-rowing spot. In doing so, Adonis does manage to bloody Backlund with by rubbing his palm in Bob's face, which I was surprised caused that to happen. The hardway blood definitely helps as it feels as though the playing field is level. Adonis even busts out a proto-Sling Blade. With his newfound advantage, Adonis starts throwing bombs to win the match (neckbreaker, slams, suplexes) and Backlund is getting crazy awesome kickouts. Adonis hits a piledriver, but it is only a decent one. Backlund knocks him off the top and Adonis crotches himself in most epic fashion. Backlund gets a receipt for the the stomp to the groin with his own stomp to the groin. Backlund then shows him how you muthafuckin piledrive someone. I like how Backlund threw back these moves in Adonis' face It is a shame he used that as a transition move. Good Night Irene! Backlund dives to the outside to break the hold, but shakes himself up in the process. Adonis rams Backlund's head into the turnbuckle and taps a gusher. They tease the countout, but Backlund makes it back in. I bit on the countout finish hard. A great, great boxing match breaks out; the ref loses control and awards the match to Adonis on cuts to set up the rematch, which was on an untelevised MSG card. BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

For Backlund critics, I am sure the talking point was that he dominated the match with the wristlock forever, but I thought they worked it an entertaining fashion. The home stretch was strong and the finish fantastic. This match is a great war of attrition. Adonis throws everything he has at Backlund, but Backlund is resilient. Look at that massive kickout by Backlund after the groin shot. They both are exhausted and battered. Then Good Night Irene, the countout finish tease and the bloody boxing match at the end. Definitely one of the best Backlund title defenses.    ****1/2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know, I think this was a little better than that. Some of the selling from Backlund and Adonis alike was soooo good. That bloody war punching towards the end of the match really sucked me in. I think it's closer to ****1/2 for me. I don't think Backlund was dominated too much, he just put forth that Rocky effort. Also, he lost due to loss of blood. That's a pretty good way to sell the dominance that Adonis did have, and like Sleeze said, build to the next match.

• GSR changed the title to [1982-01-18-WWF-MSG NY] Bob Backlund vs Adrian Adonis
  • 5 months later...

Yeah I dont know why I lowballed the rating. I didnt read my review before watching. Came away thinking it was awesome. Then read my review and agreed with myself.I guess I didnt like the finish, but I gave high marks to the lead-in matches to the Patera & Slaughter gimmick matches. Weird. Yes, this is ****1/2

• 2 years later...

Awesome match with a somewhat surprising finish. From what I can tell, Adonis was awarded the match via ref stoppage but obviously Backlund didn't lose the title, so perhaps this is a Dusty Finish. It happened under Greg Valentine so it’s not a total blindsiding decision. This went through plenty of motions. Adonis, similar to Valentine in the Intercontinental Title match, stalls to start off, working the crowd against him and pissing Backlund off in the process. The body of the match was Backlund messing with Adonis, relentlessly schooling him on the ground and making a game of not letting go of Adonis’ wrist for such a long time which progressed into Adonis bashing Backlund’s nose in (something Barry Windham claimed wouldn’t be out of the ordinary when Adonis wrestled you) and then his forehead. Backlund bled a gusher and that turned the match into a nasty fight. This had the best of everything Backlund has to offer. Great technical wrestling and highly underrated brawling skill, although that was Adonis’ baby in this instance. The peak of Adonis as a wrestler? ****1/4