Pro Wrestling Only

Upward Progression

Grimmas

Watching Raw and seeing the IC Title match between Miz-Big Show-Ryback and then seeing Seth Rollins doing the main event angle promo really got me thinking.

I think the absolute biggest problem the WWE has is upward progression. The WWE method seems to be putting a new guy into a top program and then dropping them down the card where they never recover. The IC Title division seems to be built around failed main eventers.

Shouldn't people get a run with the IC Title and then move up to the main event? I think there is very little issue with somebody being on the undercard and then moving up, while there is a huge problem with getting a main event run and then moving to the bottom of the card. After you drop like that it is really difficult to move someone back up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We've talked about this. Part of it is the amount of TV and "Special events." Part of it is the lack of jobber matches. Part of it is the idea that post-Brock leaving, Vince doesn't want to make stars bigger than the WWE brand and the WWE wanting to humble guys after they get over to see how they'll react/put them in their place.

We've talked about this. Part of it is the amount of TV and "Special events." Part of it is the lack of jobber matches. Part of it is the idea that post-Brock leaving, Vince doesn't want to make stars bigger than the WWE brand and the WWE wanting to humble guys after they get over to see how they'll react/put them in their place.

Can they ever create a new star if they get a short run on top early on and then drop low on the card before moving back up?

It's just the way they've always done business. They build heels up for one feud, and when it's over, they cycle them down. Unless they are HHH. Again, that would be fine if you had 25 territories and you could bring guys in and send them away anytime you wanted. Now, it just makes the losing heel going down the card seem like damaged goods.

Agreed. And I think the biggest issue is not really coming out of a main event feud on the losing end, but it being so quickly forgotten afterward. Most things that happened six months ago have little to no impact on what's happening in WWE now. I wish they made more effort to protect guys in their follow-up feud so it being a step down isn't as much of an issue.

Now that I think about it, it even happens with big wins. Why was Dolph Ziggler not presented as the conquering hero who against 3-on-1 odds secured the pinfall that got rid of The Authority? Why didn't he get the hero's welcome on Raw the next night and even tell Brock Lesnar he was eyeing him? Shouldn't that have made his career (even with them coming back before year's end)? Telling HHH at some point that he got rid of him once and if he wasn't careful, he'd do it again seems like a natural confrontation too, instead of what they did where he had to be fearful of how Stephanie would retaliate.

Now that I think about it, it even happens with big wins. Why was Dolph Ziggler not presented as the conquering hero who against 3-on-1 odds secured the pinfall that got rid of The Authority? Why didn't he get the hero's welcome on Raw the next night and even tell Brock Lesnar he was eyeing him? Shouldn't that have made his career (even with them coming back before year's end)? Telling HHH at some point that he got rid of him once and if he wasn't careful, he'd do it again seems like a natural confrontation too, instead of what they did where he had to be fearful of how Stephanie would retaliate.

Remember the night after the Hardy Boyz/Edge and Christian TIT final when they made a massive deal out of their ladder match and how that was contrasted to some crazy Dragons vs Three Count match which WCW just ignored the next night?

Or am I making that up?

There has been at least three times where I thought Ziggler was on the road for sure fire main event status. One being the 2012 year where he won MITB, sole survivor in Survivor Series match when it came down to him and Orton, and feuded with Cena. Another is in 2013 where they did the double turn at Payback with Del Rio. The last is the already mentioned Team Cena vs Team Authority match where he won after being down 3 to 1.

Isn't the problem long term, coherent storytelling, ultimately? We see guys from time to time move from the mid card or a mid card title to the main event (not as often as we should), but like loss said, nothing matters. I think part of the problem is that the WWE only really cares about having one super draw and they don't really want anyone else stand out THAT much. It gives them leverage and Vince's biggest fear is someone taking his toys and playing with them. I am not sure if it is concious or not, but a lack of long term cohernce keeps the fans from getting too invested in anyone, keeps momentum in check. The last two really compelling, long term stories I remember are Punk and Dragon's and it seems like those were sort of in spite of the WWE. They tried with Reigns for obvious reasons, but the timing was just bad.

I have always liked the idea of the career that chips away at the top tier before truely establishing one's self as a star and hopefully a draw. Didn't punk have sort of a rollercoaster? They had more titles to create more tiers (well, in theory), so he wasn't exactly getting the main title, but he won the ECW Title, the world title a few times, and then made his real push into the true main event. Of course punk is always a little bit of a different beast because of the pipe bomb and all that, but between them first putting a "top of the brand" title on him and him becoming a draw, he was sort of all over the place.

Another big problem - in addition to getting people to drawing level - I just thought of is a lack of main eventers (outside Cena) that can truely elivate other wrestlers with a good feud. Who can really do that outside Cena. They have tried with Kane, Show, and Orton countless times... nope! Trips maybe?