Pro Wrestling Only

Meltz updates the Smackdown title situation:

sek69

A match with Batista vs. Randy Orton, billed as a street fight for the title, was announced as the main event for Tuesday's Smackdown tapings in Sheffield, England. With Batista being injured, most likely Orton will win the title here. The street fight is likely a cover to allow them to avoid traditional wrestling and not risk as much injury to Batista.

Kurt Angle vs. Shelton Benjamin in a rematch from this past Monday will headline Raw on Monday night.

That sound you hear is heads exploding all across the interweb....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I completely agree with the argument that Rey should be given a title run, I can't understand why anyone would think Vince would ever make it happen.

He wasn't really eager to put belts on guys the size of Benoit and Eddie, I just can't ever see Vince putting one of the 2 major titles on a guy Rey's size. It sucks, but that's the way I see it.

Of course, the same things were said about Eddy and Benoit. And who knows what's going through anyone's head whose in power at the moment when an under-40 main eventer dropped dead this week, partially because he was trying to become a heavyweight when his body just wasn't meant for it. I can see sek's point about Vince's head and I reluctantly agree with it, but anyone who says they wouldn't buy Rey as champ because of his size just proves that they haven't learned anything from the tragedy we've had in the past week, and shows that they're just as much to blame for the problems of steroids in wrestling as anyone.

Also, I think JBL would be a *MUCH* better choice for champ than Orton if they're looking for a heel to keep the belt warm for a while. He's also shown he can work well with Rey if they ever did decide that's who they wanted to win the title in the long run. At this point, JBL is a better worker and a better interview, by a pretty considerable margin, than Orton. I'd even say he has more upside.

Vince is all about the visual presentation, and you'd have to admit it would look comical for a little guy like Rey to be carrying the massive Smackdown belt. If he wore it like a normal belt it looks like it woud go from his chin to his knees.

Guest Cam Chaos

Was that the "Harvina" Wippleman thing?

I've watched many grappling competitions where small guys have beat bigger dudes and Rey has beat 6'3" guys on SD before so I don't see why he could beat Luther Reigns but not a similarly sized wrestler. It doesn't take much suspension of disbelief, all it would take is a good video package to sell Rey as a giant killer. They did it with Nash and Norton for a while which led to a Rey WCW title shot against Flair so why not try make good where WCW failed?

Guest Crucifixio Jones

I think BRADSHAW would be a *MUCH* better choice for champ than Orton if they're looking for a heel to keep the belt warm for a while. He's also shown he can work well with Rey if they ever did decide that's who they wanted to win the title in the long run. At this point, BRADSHAW is a better worker and a better interview, by a pretty considerable margin, than Orton. I'd even say he has more upside.

And there it is. The post you thought you'd NEVER see.

Guest Cam Chaos

I think BRADSHAW would be a *MUCH* better choice for champ than Orton if they're looking for a heel to keep the belt warm for a while. He's also shown he can work well with Rey if they ever did decide that's who they wanted to win the title in the long run. At this point, BRADSHAW is a better worker and a better interview, by a pretty considerable margin, than Orton. I'd even say he has more upside.

You make me laugh.

*hugs*

Guest EastCoastJ

JBL as a babyface as the World Champion would be my choice right now. I can't think of anyone who has been better in the entire company than JBL in the last month.

If I were booking I would have Batista and Randy Orton going at it, have Edge run out, use his Money in the Bank shot at Batista when he was already down and get the pin. Then have him do the Honky Tonk Man SummerSlam 88 deal, and one huge lariat from Bradshaw later he's the babyface World Champion of Smackdown. I think the world is ready for a babyface JBL World Championship run, and his offense and mic work would be way better as a babyface.

Actually, Loss, Tim Cooke, myself, as well as others, such as goodhelmet, I believe, have been singing Bradshaw's praises for a while. To varying degrees, yes, but most of us are pretty positive about the guy's work.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Remember when JBL first won the belt and the world as a whole was like "Are you for serious?" Now hes one of the best parts of the show.

Maybe every once in a while the WWE isnt as stupid as we think...MAYBE.

The orton/batisita thing makes perfect sense, remember when Otron was out with an injury even though it was at the hands of the taker they did it as a video package saying it was Batistas fault. While the Btizzy heals his back, Orton can have a HOT fued with Rey Mysterio. Not to mention matches with Matt Hardy and Harcore Holly and interesting series of exchanges with JBL. Batista makes his amazing return "coincedentally" just in time for Wrestlemania. You cant really blame them for this booking decesion if this is what they go with.

I don't think a Rey Mysterio Ttle reign would work. What happens if he comes up against someone like Big Show? There is no believable way for Rey to get the win. I can't see Undertaker wanting to sell for any of Rey's offence. People aren't going to buy Rey as a believable opponent to people like Triple-H.

I would like to see Orton as Champion. He makes a great heel, the only reason his first Title run failed was because he was face, and he was plainly dreadful at that role. I would certainly like to see Benoit/Orton at Wrestlemania with Benoit taking the belt. In the meantime Orton can defend against Undertaker (Armageddon), Rey Mysterio (Royal Rumble) and Batista (No Way Out - The injury is quoted 4-6 Weeks).

That looks like a good title reign to me.

The only thing Rey needs for him to be a credible World Champion is a submission finisher that can be applied to anyone. I brought this up in a previous thread where you do some vignettes with Rey training with some MMA guy learning submissions. Then you have him start killing guys once he locks it in. The ideal one would be the 6 seconds of magic from the No Mercy videogame. you have Rey hook his body around the neck and arm and then see guys go down to their knewws in pain and tap out. Pu it over like they put over Angle's anklelock and it could easily be something the fans buy into that would topple anyone. I have the visual in my head of Big Show trying to swing Rey around as Rey has his arm locked, then falling to his knees and eventually landing face first to the mat as he taps out.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

What happens if he comes up against someone like Big Show? There is no believable way for Rey to get the win. I can't see Undertaker wanting to sell for any of Rey's offence. People aren't going to buy Rey as a believable opponent to people like Triple-H.

Good thing Show or HHH aren't on SD! The only big ME level guys on SD are Taker & JBL. Rey has already gone up against JBL, and does have 1 win, so I don't think anyone would not buy him beating JBL.

As for Taker, Rey is quick enough to be believable against Taker. Strike quick at the knees to get Taker off his feet. Go with goodhelmet's suggestion. There are ways to level the playing field to make Rey believable against big guys. If WCW can get him over as a giant killer, why can't the WWE?