Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-10-13-NWA Florida-53rd Anniversary Show] Steve Corino vs Shinya Hashimoto

Grimmas

This is a match for people who love Hashimoto beat downs. Early on Corino tries to keep up with Hashimoto's kicks, but Hashimoto is too much. He beats him to a bloody pulp and then the referee stops it and awards the title to Hashimoto. Corino tries a post match comeback, gets beat up again until the locker room saves the day.

It goes about 10 minutes, but is a LOT of fun. Corino showed some nice signs as a babyface and Hashimoto is awesome Hashimoto here.

#wrestling365

Watched this one a couple times as it's an interesting look at Corino post ECW (he is actually pretty scrawny here compared to even two years later). Interesting aesthetic here, you'd think the NWA could have afforded a better mat for the ring. Deliberate start and Hasimoto gets his first kick in after a ref break to a round of boos. Corino breaks off a couple regular vertical suplexes, which stuck out to me givne their size difference.

Some fierce kicks set up a DDT on Corino before we go into the final round of shots in and around Corino's head. Hasimoto is actually pretty soft to the ones that just graze the top (I am not rooting for anyone to be concussed, just noting) and maybe that's on the camera angle. Corino blades off another and then Hashimoto kicks and punches him down in the corner, before the ref surprisingly calls for the bell.

Corino gets up and the ref actually restarts (?) the match before he gets kicked down again and the locker room comes out.

Pretty abrupt match that feels like they cut out 8 minutes or so from the middle portion.

Fun and interesting to see Hash work a US studio match. Business picked up when Hash stopped pretending Corino's offense had any impact and began kicking the hell out of him. Perhaps not something you need to revisit or go out of your way to see, but Hash in a completely different setting and almost working a squash was enjoyable.

• 2 years later...

Watched this for the secret Santo project. I remember hearing about this match back in the day but don't remember Corino being so skinny. Not as skinny as he was in early 99 but smaller than the later ECW days. As for the match, It was as close of a squash I've seen in a NWA title match ever. Sure Corino got some moves on but this was mostly Hashimoto beating him. That finish was weak but I guess it was a good way out of getting no one to do the job.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-10-13-NWA Florida-53rd Anniversary Show] Steve Corino vs Shinya Hashimoto