Pro Wrestling Only

Could WWE Ever Have a Barbwire Match?

theconstipatedsmark

They had that cage matcb, and Foley used barbwire in all his major hardcore matches.

I think in that era (early 2000s) they may have considered it since they came pretty close and weren't squeamish about using it in general. But in the PG era, no way on earth.

I think with any question pertaining to the future though we have to keep in mind we won't always be in the PG era. I remember during the Attitude Era fans never thought that would end either, but here we are.

WWE has so much reliance on TV revenue I doubt they ever really go back to being edgy, certainly not to the excesses of the Attitude Era. It's a lot easier for them to get/keep sponsors now than it was during the Attitude Era despite the ratings being better back then. Plus they seem to put a huge emphasis on the Mattel deal which seems heavily predicated on them having a family friendly product.

Is there really even a big market for Hardcore wrestling like that anymore? Isn't it mostly seen as garbage nowadays, especially by guys that can't work so they have to rely on shit like that? I just don't see the point or purpose of WWE ever even wanting to do something like that. Even if they weren't TV-PG. They can just do a different, safer gimmick match instead & not worry about the participants involved being able to be used/booked the next night too.

Odd question.

I think the most likely way it would ever happen is if Hunter booked himself in one, to prove he can do the "aging hardcore legend" gimmick.

If Triple H didn't want to be involved with actual barbed wire in 2000, as a younger man in his physical prime, opting to use the fake kind, he's not going to do it as a semi retired 40+ year old with a family to care for and a corporate image to maintain. I get your point though...the only way it happens is if someone with real political clout insists on it.

Then again Triple H has tried many times and failing to convince Vince to bring War Games to the WWE. So if barbed wire is a no on Vince's list then it will be near impossible to get it done.