Pro Wrestling Only

Theoretical participation from people in the business

thebrainfollower

Wrestlers know their universe and don't seem to follow much outside of it. I think most guys would for the most part just rank their own opponents. They tend to have a very narrow view.

Would it be fair to say that wrestlers breaking in from 2000 onwards or so (those that were fans from a young age, anyway) would have a stronger understanding and broader range of interests worldwide than their predecessors?

Perhaps this range would narrow as they go on, but it would be there in the early years.

Would it be fair to say that wrestlers breaking in from 2000 onwards or so (those that were fans from a young age, anyway) would have a stronger understanding and broader range of interests worldwide than their predecessors?

Depends. Considering the wide range of places wrestlers used to routinely travel, they saw a lot more of the world than the average person, or even probably the average model wrestler. There's nothing to get you to understand the plight of third-world citizens than seeing them in person (probably while having Power Uti clumsily thump you over the head). But the older wrestlers tended to be meathead jocks who coincidentally fell into a secondary profession, while today's wrestlers are more likely to be internet nerds who are relatively well-read; so, it's a push.

Based on the one shoot interview Russo's favorites were

Bret Hart

Steve Austin

The Rock

The Undertaker

Jeff Jarrett

so pretty much yeah the guys he worked with. I would say Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels would actually pick each other from what I've heard. Am guessing the entire Kliq would pick Shawn except Waltman who would pick Hall.

Would Bret Hart pick himself?

Cornette I assume would pick Flair and Lawler, but based on that podcast, clearly is not an ignoramus when it comes to Japanese wrestling. Wonder what, if anything he knows of lucha.

The guys who interest me are PURE speculation. Love to hear what Vince Sr. and Vince Jr's lists would look like. Or Paul Boesch. Or Mushnick who saw em all.