Pro Wrestling Only

Where does current WWE rank in the history of the WWE/F?

Grimmas

Alberto Del Rio was awesome as Alberto El Patron pretty much everywhere he went outside of WWE. His run in Lucha Underground was a lot of fun & he felt like he actually wanted to be there. You could see it in his work. As soon as he went back to WWE, he started half-assing it again. He's there for a paycheck.

Alberto was great in what I have seen of Lucha Underground and he looked like a legit major superstar in AAA. His promo work there and his aura were something else when he was in full Patron mode being interviewed outside of the wrestling shows.

The reason why THE LATIN AUDIENCE (this magical WWE group where they put anybody who speaks Spanish) hasn't come to him is because he's been booked like a geek by a majority of white writers that don't understand how to book him.

The way he is being booked as Del Rio pales in comparison to how he was pushed as El Patron elsewhere. If this is WWE "trying", they might as well close up shop. But that is the issue. They are actually not "trying". They are going through the motions with a guy they know is talented and they have to "push" but they are not really doing it.

This thread amazes me. I am shocked anyone could think this isn't one of WWE's best eras ever, let alone one of their worst. People conplain all the time about the 3 hour format but I'd say a lot of the early 90's hour long weeklies could feel just as long with them often consisting of forgettable matches interlaced with bad gimmicks. The 80's seem great if you're just cherry picking the best matches but full shows were often brutal to sit through, so there's really no comparison with the stacked cards WWE puts on today. The Attitude Era was the peak of WWE in terms of storylines and promos, but the in-ring action was at a much lower level and a lot of the storylines were just edgy shit that hasn't aged well at all. Smackdown was on fire at various points in the 2000's but Raw was the drizzling shits and since the storylines weren't any better than they today I'd give the current era the nod.

Every era had its share of garbage and it's easy to forget that if you're mostly cherry picking historical footage. Example of that being 3 hour Nitro getting praised in this topic for lacking obvious filler, when if you watched full shows from that era recently you'd see countless cruisers barely getting enough time to work a spot match no sold by the announcers and just totally random shit like Luger working with Barry Darsow for no reason at all. The current WWE era just so happens to be the current one, meaning the shit is fresher on people's mind. The fact that there's a higher level of talent and ring-work than ever before also seems to have raised overall expectations higher than ever before, which has resulted in, I'd argue, an unfairly high amount of scrutiny.

The bar on what people want for wrestling has changed a lot since the mid 70's.

But at it's simplest they want to have a fun night where they see their heroes prevail. That has not changed. Say what you will but Bruno was booked a lot smarter than Roman Reigns today.

When people say they want the Attitude Era back, what they mean is that they want hot crowds, an over midcard and guys presented as winners.

And this ain't hard to do either.

WWE has no idea how to consistently book a hero anymore. They have brilliance like the night after TLC and then they have the idiot booking of Reigns at the Rumble.

I don't recall Orndorff beating Hogan in Feb 84 or Dude Love stopping the Austin title run in April 98 but maybe my memory is faulty.