Pro Wrestling Only

Pete Roberts

Grimmas

Poor Pete Roberts. I don't think I've seen anyone really praise this guy except for OJ and Regal. Doesn't look like much, not flashy at all, but he has a real knack for slick, graceful technical wrestling (especially dig his takedowns) and creating intensity within the span of a few rounds wrestling session on TV. It's not just that he can throw a european uppercut, but really work escalation into his matches, even when they technically remain fairly harmless. For example, in one of his bouts vs. Pat Roach, he does this awesome half-boxer/half-Fujiwara-like ring positioning about to lure Roach into the corner and then kick the shit out of him. His big drawing card is his consistency as he has shown up on british TV for many years and never stopped being awesome even as british TV wrestling was on it's last legs. Apparently he has worked abroad aswell but somebody else will have to comment on that. Only seen him matching up really well with Fujinami in japan once. Regardless, give him a chance.

Recommended matches:

vs. Pat Roach

vs. Wayne Bridges

vs. Terry Rudge

Roberts would make my top 5 British workers list for the 80s without much hesitation (the only four being Breaks, Grey, Jones and Cortez.) His 70s work is good as well, but the 80s were his peak, and he has a strong case for being the best worker on TV in 1985.

The big knock against him is his complete lack of charisma aside from the familiarity that comes with watching him dozens of times and knowing when he's angry and when he's fired up. As a worker, he was exemplary. Great technique and skill. Could wrestle and brawl with equal aplomb.

Perhaps the best thing about him was that he was surprisingly good in roles you wouldn't expect like the feud with a heel Bridges and fighting the foreign menace of a guy like Indio Guajaro.

Of course there are some disappointments (Jones vs. Roberts has never really clicked for me), but he has a large volume of work for a guy who spent so much time abroad each year.

I am honestly shocked he isn't talked about more. I guess OJ is right in that he isn't super charismatic and that may be it, but I also don't think he's completely devoid of charisma like say a Ray Steele (who I would nominate, but I doubt I'd vote for him and no one else seems on board with him). In fact I think Roberts is pretty exceptional at building to a dramatic moment over the course of a match and then delivering in the boldest way possible. His selling of a wild bump to the floor, or nasty shot that knocks him out/injures him works really well every single time. That might not be a sign of him being charismatic, but it does speak to a certain quality that goes beyond pure mechanics, and I don't think it should be downplayed. I'd argue for finishes of that sort in the WOS setting, Roberts does them better than anyone.

As for technique, I think he's a master. No he's not at the level of a Cortez or a Steve Grey, but he's not terribly far off. He's very capable of mixing in nasty, tight looking holds, and the sort of flashy mat highspots that most people associate with the Brit grappling style. His single arm handspring escape is a thing of beauty, and one of the more impressive signature spots anyone was doing during the period.

He was also a very capable striker. It's not a major thing, but he has an all time great level elbow drop, and he seemed to know when to bust it out for maximum effect. His stand up striker was equal as good, and I enjoyed the ways he would introduce it into tough matches.

It's interesting that OJ is down on Marty Jones v. Roberts, because I actually found those matches to be really good, and maybe the only time in this mass watch/rewatch of British stuff where I thought Jones looked like an excellent worker. I really enjoy the Roach and Hayward bouts. His matches with Bond, Singh, Barry Douglass and Skull Murphy are all really good too. Best of all I think these matches are all pretty different, which is something that I like to see.

Roberts doesn't have the number of blowaway great matches that some others do, but I like that we have wide range of his stuff available and that he seems to adapt to opponents. If he's in there with a smaller man he works bigger and plays the size advantage where he can. If he's in there with a bigger guy he will be an absolute bump freak, will sell is ass off, and comes across as vulnerable without being weak. Charisma or not there are moments where he is in there with a bigger man where you can sort of watch the wheels turning in his head as he scrambles to adjust tactics. I love that sort of thing.

One final thing to note about him is that he's someone I could see JerryVonKramer and others who want to see throws, bigger spots, et. loving. I've watched dozens and dozens of Brit matches this week, and he's the one guy who will bust out multiple suplex variations, almost always for a finish of a fall. As mentioned before he'll also take crazy bumps, has some really neat escapes, and does other things that feel more "highspotty" in a way that is in keeping with American wrestling. His matches always seem to escalate in a very logical and effective way that goes beyond just the issue of grappling prowess. I still see him as a very European style performer, but I could see him being extremely accessible for those who have struggled with style.

Pete Roberts is a great wrestler and will make my top 100.

I loathed that one match of Roberts vs Fuchi from All Japan so much (ranked 150 for the set) that I've held it against him ever since. Maybe he'll seem better in a British setting.

I plan on doing a WoS marathon before deadline, just enough so that I can give ratings to a lot of those guys. I will have to look for out for Roberts.