Pro Wrestling Only

UNITED STATES WRESTLING ASSOCIATION

kevinmcfl

14vEsWk.jpg?1

THE MID-SOUTH COLISEUM

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

2/28/1985: WTBS

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to USWA Wrestling and MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE. We are coming to you live on WTBS from the world famous Mid-South Coliseum. I am Jim Ross along with Ernie Ladd. Welcome to the first major prime time event of the year! We have a jammed packed schedule so let’s get right to the ring for our first bout.

MEMPHIS STREET FIGHT:

The Memphis Bruise Brothers (Porkchop Cash & Dream Machine)

VS

The Tennessee Stud Stable (Tommy “Wildfire” Rich & “Hotstuff” Eddie Gilbert)

A nice 10 minute brawl here that has a lot of back and forth action. Eddie Gilbert was trapped in the wrong corner here for a few minutes but after making the tag, Wildfire came in like a house afire and went wild on both Cash and Dream Machine. Gilbert recovered enough to make this a chaotic scene with all four men in the ring. Gilbert and Cash spilled out on to the floor as Rich took off his cowboy boot and beat Dream pretty good. Rich followed this up with a Lou Thesz Press for the three count.

USWA WORLD TV TITLE MATCH:

BILLY JACK HAYNES VS SHEIK HERCULES HERNANDEZ w SKANDAR AKBAR

(If Haynes wins, he gets 5 minutes alone with Akbar)

A typical power vs power match here as both men connected with some huge moves. It looked like it was over after Akbar got involved and tripped up Billy Jack. This gave the momentum back to Hercules who lifted Jack up into a backbreaker rack. Billy Jack almost submitted but was somehow able to wiggle out. As the war waged on, Jack got Hercules in his signature finisher, The Oregonian Full Nelson, and that was it as Hercules was forced to submit.

Jim Ross announced that there will be a three minute break before Akbar must get in the ring alone with Billy Jack. All of a sudden two huge men with Arab headdresses rushed to the ring. Jim Ross was in shock.

Jim Ross: Bah Gawd…. Its Ken Patera and Crusher Jerry Blackwell. What are they doing here?

Blackwell and Patera really beat down Billy Jack two on one for the next three minutes before they are forced out of the ring. Akbar enters the ring for his 5 minutes alone with Billy Jack. Akbar just kicks and punches Haynes for the entire 5 minutes as he is completely out of it.

After 5 minutes, Billy Jack is a mess and Akbar and his collection of Sheiks leave all giddy!

BOOTCAMP MATCH:

Jimmy Snuka with Gary Hart vs Sgt. Slaughter

A good old fashion brawl here with both men having their turns with the momentum. Sarge stomped a Mud Hole in Snuka with his combat boots and Snuka used his athleticism to connect with some leaping headbutts and cross body blocks. The action spilled outside the ring on a few occasions where nothing was safe including the ring bell. After Snuka rammed Sarge into the steel barricade, he did the unthinkable and climbed to top ropes and came leaping off with a Snuka Death Leap ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. Snuka lifted Sarge up by the hair and rolled him into the ring for the three count.

USWA World Tag Team Title Match

The Perfect Alliance (Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton) with Baby Doll

VS

The Fabulous Ones in a Loser Leave Town Title Match

A bit a chain match in the beginning here with lots of quick moves and tags on both sides. A few momentum changes and then we get the typical match where Stan Lane becomes trapped in the corner until making a daring escape. Keirn comes in like a house afire. A bit of Bonzo Gonzo follows with all 4 men in the ring. In the end, Anderson made a sneaky little tag to Eaton just before Keirn connected with a swinging neckbreaker. As Keirn covers Anderson, he thinks he is about to regain the World Title. Instead we get an Alabama Jam from Eaton onto the back of the head of Keirn. A quick drop kick by Eaton to Lane knocks Lane to the floor and Eaton scampers to cover Keirn.

1…

2…

Jim Ross: I can’t believe it. The Perfect Alliance has survived and are still the World Tag Team Champions. I don’t know what else to say but that the USWA will not be the same without the Fabulous Ones.

Baby Doll gloats with the titles in here hands as the Fab Ones spend a few minutes thanking the fans of the USWA as they will now be forced to leave the USWA.

KERRY VON ERICH VS STAN HANSEN

#1 CONTENDERS MATCH

Unsure if this match could have been any better. Von Erich used his combination of speed and power to try and keep Hansen at bay but there is no way to keep Hansen off his game for an entire match. He is like a Bull in a china closet and just has moments when he is unstoppable. In the end, Kerry ducked under a Big Lariat from Hansen and came off the ropes and caught Hansen with a tornado punch for the surprisingly quick three count.

Ernie Ladd is ranting about how that was the fastest count he has ever seen and Ross is all hyped up about how Kerry will now get the title shot he so deserves.

USWA WORLD 6 MAN TITLE Match:

The Miracle Violence Committee (Gordy, Williams and Fernandez)

VS

The Monsters of the Midway (Yamamoto, Kamata and Mr. Pogo)

A Barbed Wire Massacre Match

Just a bloody brawl from beginning to end. As if the barbed wire wasn’t enough, there were weapons tangled inside the barbed wire for the wrestlers to use. In fact, Mr. Pogo nearly won the title as he clobbered Manny Fernandez with a bat that was wrapped it its own steel mesh covering. This match was so bloody that WTBS cut away for numerous commercial breaks and the end was actually shown by replay. With all 6 man engaged in what appeared to be Mortal Combat, Steve “Dr. Death” Williams took out Tojo Yamamoto with the Oklahoma Stampede and the Miracle Violence Committee retained their titles.

This match was so violent and the Monsters of the Midway were so ruthless that even Ernie Ladd was glad it was over and hoped that this team returns to their native Japan.

Just before we break away to commercial, Terry Gordy’s mouth drops and it appears that he has seen a ghost. The camera pans to the back were we see the back of the head of a blonde haired man heading behind the curtain.

USWA North American Title Match

Sheik Hacksaw Butch Reed with Skandar Akbar

VS

Hacksaw Duggan

Steel Cage Football Helmet Match

This is an innovative match by Cowboy Watts in which it is a cage match but there is also a football helmet attached to a ten foot pole in one of the corners. Whoever gets that helmet first can use it as a weapon.

Now these are two big guys just beating the Hell out of each. Both men used the cage to their advantage numerous times. Reed raked the face of Duggan across the mesh of the cage and Duggan vaulted Reed head first into it. Even with the violence, neither man is able to keep the other down long enough to climb up the pole to capture the football helmet.

Reed finally connects with a big football tackle on Duggan and he now sees his chance to get to the football helmet. As Reed starts to climb the pole, Duggan is slowly getting up. Just as Reed gets the helmet, Duggan rises to his feet. He motions to the gate keeper to unlock the door. Reed rushes at Duggan and takes a mighty swing with the helmet.

CRACK!

Reed hits Duggan right across the temple and Hacksaw is busted wide open and he is out on his feet.

As Duggan falls backwards towards the ropes, he crashes right through the open door of the cage and out onto the floor.

Jim Ross: Bah Gawd, I can’t believe what I have just seen. Reed knocked Duggan out cold but right through the cage door. Hacksaw Duggan is the winner and NEW North American Title Holder!

Reed is beside himself and goes out to the floor and cracks Duggan over and over again before spiking the football helmet and storming off. Akbar is beside himself but there is nothing he can do.

USWA World Title Match:

TED DIBIASE VS THE AMERICAN DREAM DUSTY RHODES

(If Dibiase wins, the American Dream will not receive another title shot this YEAR!

Just as you would expect, Dibiase plays the frightened heel in the beginning and Rhodes gets off to a good start until Dibiase rakes the eyes.

A nice 50/50 match ensues until Rhodes simply goes off and takes complete control. Rhodes connects with 3 or 4 Bionic Elbows but Dibiase kicks out at 2 ½ each time. As Rhodes picks up Dibiase, the champ shoves the American Dream into ref Pee Wee Anderson and Anderson goes through the ropes and hits the floor really hard.

Rhodes just continues with the beating of Dibiase and it culminates in a nasty piledriver. Rhodes is on top of Dibiase which is obviously for more than a three count but with no ref, nothing happens.

The crowd explodes as all of a sudden, the King of Memphis, Jerry Lawler rushes to the ring in a referee shirt and slides into the ring. Rhodes again covers Dibiase and Lawler begins the count.

1…

2…

WHAM…

Lawler has dropped an elbow across the head of the American Dream. Quickly, he scampers up to the middle rope and comes off with a fist drop. He picks up Rhodes and delivers his own Royal Piledriver. He then drags Dibiase on top of Rhodes and Lawler slips out the other side just as Pee Wee Anderson is back.

1…

2…

Jim Ross: Oh my God! What has Jerry Lawler done? I can’t believe what I have just seen. Ted Dibiase, with the help of Jerry Lawler, is still the USWA World Champion and the American Dream can’t receive another USWA World Heavyweight Title Match until 1986!

So long from Memphis!

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news for the American Dream... with Lawler in the works for everyone... this could really go crazy. I also love the over gimmicked conest with Duggan and Reed... classic Mid South/UWF there... I am also big on the Perfect Alliance and wonder what a 1985 version of that team could have actually done. Very good stuff here from the most consistent of promotions...

It was satisfying to read about Blackwell and Patera leaving the AWA and then see them show up here. I like how there was lots of brawling but you also mixed in some chain wrestling and power wrestling.

Top to bottom, what a great show. I can imagine trading third-generation VHS copies of this through the mail with my wrestling friends back in the 80s.

USWA WRESTLING:

3/2/1985: WTBS

9:05-10:05

ALEXANDRIA, LOUISIANA

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to USWA WRESTLING from Alexandria, Louisiana and the Rapides Parrish Coliseum. I am Jim Ross and my partner today is the Big Cat, Ernie Ladd. What a card we have for you tonight but we have an interview with the STILL USWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

TED DIBIASE: I told each and every one of you rednecks out there in TV land that I would beat that fat slob Dusty Rhodes in Memphis and that this belt was going to stay around my waist for a very, very long time.

Jim Ross: Well let’s hold on a minute. It’s not like you won that match fair and square. All the WTBS viewers saw that you needed help from King Jerry Lawler to get that victory as Dusty had you pinned right there in the center of the ring.

Ted Dibiase: I have no idea what you are talking about. When the ref made the three count, he raised MY Hand and not Rhodes!

Jim Ross: Well moving on, as we all know that Dusty cannot have another USWA World Title shot for the remainder of 1985, you now have a new challenger to deal with. None other than Kerry Von Erich.

Ted Dibiase: Hahhaha. The spoiled nosed brat. The boss’s kid! Yeah that sounds real tough. This company better find some real challengers.

Jim Ross: Well that is about as arrogant as I would expect from you. We will just have to wait and see as next week in Dallas, Texas, you will be facing Kerry in Reunion Arena.

MATCH:

JIMMY GARVIN with Precious

VS

SWEET BROWN SUGAR

The crowd is all abuzz as this is the first we have seen of Jimmy Garvin this year and he is without his fellow Freebirds. The contest is well contested with Sweet Brown Sugar controlling a lot of the match. Garvin was able to toss Sugar through the middle ropes and then he got right in the face of ref David Manning. This allowed Precious time to clock Sugar with the loaded purse and that was all she wrote.

Jimmy Garvin went over to the interview desk where he said he is working solo now and that the Freebirds were dead! He said if he ever got his hands on that rat, Michael Hayes, it would be a BAD day for him.

------------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS-----------------

When we come out of break, Cowboy Bill Watts has joined Jim Ross and hypes up how exciting a time it is for USWA WRESTLING and he takes a moment to review the huge card last week in Memphis and how he is really excited for the upcoming world title match between Kerry Von Erich and Ted Dibiase.

Watts then turns his attention to the USWA World Tag Team situation where the Perfect Alliance defeated The Fabulous Ones in a loser-leave town match.

This brings out baby Doll and her team of Bobby Eaton and Arn Anderson and they go on and on bragging about there is nobody in the USWA who can beat them and how everyone thought so much of the Fab Ones and now they are gone.

Watts interrupts and says that he was about to inform the viewers that there is going to be an 8 team tournament to find the new #1 contenders for the tag titles and that this tournament actually starts tomorrow night. The 8 teams will be The Tennessee Stud Stable (Wildfire Rich & Eddie Gilbert), Kevin Von Erich and Iceman Parsons, The Fort Bragg Brotherhood, Big Country, The Assassins and the Memphis Bruise Brothers.

Baby Doll: That is only 6 teams. I thought you said 8. I guess that everyone else was just afraid.

Cowboy Bill Watts: oh, I am sorry but I needed to pause as these last two teams need some special attention.

“Rock N Roll All Night” by Kiss begins to blare from the speakers and out comes the Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson. Baby Doll and her team are in shock but that does not compare to what will happen next.

All of a sudden a beautiful women walks out and says how much she admires Baby Doll and what she has done for women in this industry but it is time for her and her team to step aside. She goes on to say that she is the manager of the 8th team in the tournament and here they are…

THE ROAD WARRIORS!

The Road Warriors come out and the Perfect Alliance basically crap their pants. Animal and Hawk are screaming on the microphone how it is time to Shine Up Those Titles Boys!

Before we get to the ring, both Ross and Ladd can’t believe the Rock N Roll Express and the Road Warriors are here in the USWA and this is going to turn the tag team division up on its ear!

MATCH:

THE SHEIKS with SKANDAR AKBAR

VS

MIKE JACKSON, BRETT SAWYER & ROY LEE WELCH

This is the first time we get to see Akbar’s new acquisitions of Sheik Ken Patera and Sheik Crusher Blackwell in real action. They made a run-in appearance the other night as Akbar continues to build a terrifying army. Tonight, Butch Reed, Patera and Blackwell crush their opponents and leave them all scattered around the ring. The end came with the 420 pound rusher Blackwell coming off the middle rope with a Giant Splash.

Akbar takes his men over to the interview desk where the message is loud and clear. His men are coming after the USWA World 6 Man Titles and the Miracle Violence Committee. (Gordy, Dr. Death and Manny Fernandez) and it will only be a matter of days before Butch Reed regains his North American Title.

MAIN EVENT

USWA WORLD TV TITLE MATCH

BILLY JACK HAYNS VS DAN SPIVEY

A nice challenge as Billy Jack has to find a way to deal with the 6’8 300 pound Spivey. Spivey finds out that Jack’s power knows no bounds and he is forced to submit to the Full Nelson.

An unusually peaceful finish to USWA Wrestling but Ross and Ladd are really pumped up for the upcoming #1 Contenders Tag Tournament.

Jim Ross: So long from Alexandria, Louisiana. Don’t forget to join us next week from Little Rock, Arkansas.

USWA WRESTLING:

3/3/1985: WTBS

AUSTIN, TEXAS

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to USWA WRESTLING from the Frank Irwin Center in Austin, Texas. I am Jim Ross and my partner today is the Big Cat, Ernie Ladd. Let’s get right to the ring tonight with the King, Jerry Lawler.

MATCH:

JERRY LAWLER

VS

KING COBRA

A quick match for the King here is his official return to USWA Wrestling. The end came when King followed up a second rope fist drop with a piledriver.

Lawler heads over to the interview desk where he has some explaining to do on why he turned on Dusty Rhodes the other night in Memphis.

Jerry Lawler: Memphis is my town. I am not going to sit by and watch some fat slob cheat his way to the title in Memphis. We all saw Rhodes throw Dibiase into ref Pee Wee Anderson and hit Ted with loaded elbow after loaded elbow. Wrestling is the sport of Kings and I am the only true King here!

The crowd pops as Dusty Rhodes comes out.

Dusty Rhodes: The other night Lawler you messed with my livelihood. You messed with my chance to regain what was rightful mine. Now because of you, it will be one year before I will champ. Well I am going to spend that year beating you all over this land. You might be the King of Memphis but I am the AMERICAN DREAM and every city you go to, I will be right there knocking your teeth out!

Dusty does a quick play to the crowd and Lawler doesn’t hesitate. He sucker punches Rhodes from behind. He now spends the next minute or two just beating Dusty like a dog until order is finally restored by a commercial break.

INTERVIEW WITH GARY HART & JIMMY SNUKA & THE GREAT KABUKI

Gary Hart really hypes up the beating that Superfly gave Sgt. Slaughter last week in Memphis and he spends the next few minutes calling out the new North American Champion, Hacksaw Duggan. Duggan has heard enough and comes out and confronts Hart and his men. Gary Hart responds by challenging Duggan right now to a tag team match between his men and whoever Duggan can find. Hart goes on and on that he believes that there isn’t a wrestle in the back who would dare face his men.

Duggan smiles and accepts the challenge and goes to the back to “find” a partner.

MATCH: JIMMY SNUKA & THE GREAT KABUKI

VS

HACKSAW DUGGAN & MYSTERY PARTNER

With Hart’s men already waiting in the ring Duggan comes out alone and Gary Hart begins to laugh as he figured nobody would join Hacksaw. All of a sudden the speakers begin to blare a little Queen and “ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST” and the crowd explodes like never before.

Jim Ross: “By Gawd could it be? Yes, it is Junk Yard Dog! We have not seen him in the USWA for months.

Hart and his men are in shock and the action begins before the bell. Duggan and JYD are all over their opponents for a while but Hart trips up Duggan. A few headbutts later and Superfly is leaping off the top rope!

Snuka connected but JYD made the save and cleared the ring all by himself. A little 4 men in the ring ensues and with Snuka and Duggan duking it out, JYD whips Kabuki into the ropes and catches Kabuki with a big “Thump” (powerslam) for the victory. JYD quickly helps Duggan dispose of Snuka and the baby faces control the ring!

Ross hypes up the return of JYD while Ernie Ladd is more excited by the beating Duggan just got by Snuka and “the Big Cat” believes Duggan’s title reign will be short lived.

MIRACLE VIOLENCE COMMITTEE

VS

CHRIS BENOIT, BIG BUBBA RODGERS & TED ARCIDI

The Miracle Violence Committee are just too much for the youngsters but the three rookies continue to look less and less robotic in the ring. Arcidi matches the champs in the power department but in the end, we see Manny Fernandez catch Chris Benoit with a flying Burrito for the victory.

After the match the Miracle Violence Committee are at the interview desk taking turns verbally assaulting their newest challengers; Skandar Akbar’s Sheiks when all of a sudden Jim Ross can’t believe what he says.

Jim Ross: Bah Gawd the Devil has emerged in Austin, Texas.

Michael Hayes has returned to the USWA and he is walking out kind of sheepishly and Jim Ross can’t believe that he has the guts to come out here with Terry Gordy!

Michael Hayes: Please, I come in peace. I know what I have done to you over the past was wrong. I was jealous of your big win in that tournament up in Canada but trust me brother, Terry, you are a FREEBIRD for life! Buddy and I have seen what Jimmy Garvin is. A True Snake! I ,I, I, uh ……

Terry Gordy: Shut up Hayes! You think you can just come out here and everything would be like it was in the past. You are the dirtiest player in the game and you have played me long enough. Tonight was your one and only free pass but the next time you interrupt me or get in the face of any member of the Violence Committee, you will be drinking though a straw! Garvin has seen the light. I have seen the light. Your Bad Street is becoming a lonely place!

MAIN EVENT: #1 CONTENDERS MATCH

THE ROAD WARRIORS with WOMEN

VS

BIG COUNTRY

(Plowboy Frazier & Silo Sam)

Big Country has been undefeated so far in the USWA and it is simply that no team has been able to deal with their almost 1000 pounds of mass. That is until tonight. Plowboy Frazier and Silo Sam are beaten from pillar to post. The end comes when Hawk nearly decapitates Plowboy Frazier with a diving clothesline off the top rope for the victory!

Jim Ross: Well, I think the Road Warriors just put the Perfect Alliance and Baby Doll on notice. Just last week, the champs said there was no competition here in the USWA and now we got both the Road Warriors and the Rock N Roll Express breathing down their necks. Well we are out of time. So long from Austin, Texas. Don’t forget to join us next week from the Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson. _________________________________________________________________________

USWA WRESTLING:

3/10/1985: WTBS

LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to USWA WRESTLING from the Barton Coliseum. I am Jim Ross and my partner today is the Big Cat, Ernie Ladd. What a card we have for you tonight and let’s get right to the ring where Kerry Von Erich will try to show everybody why he is the #1 contender for the USWA World Title and that he is ready for his title match this week in Dallas.

Ernie Ladd: We all know why he is the #1 contender. His father OWNS THE BUSINESS!

KERRY VON ERICH VS TOJO YAMAMOTO

A nice show here for the fan favorite. Tojo has his moments when he was on top after some type of dirty tactics but in the end, Kerry followed up a body slam with the Iron Claw to weaken the veteran Yamamoto.

Before Kerry finished him off, we see the New Rat Pack come out to ringside and it doesn’t look good for Kerry as Dibiase, Buddy Landell and Eric Embry have surrounded him. Kerry stays focused and connects with a Tornado Punch and gains the victory. The Rat Pack hop up on the apron but the crowd roars as Kevin and Mike Von Erich along with Dusty Rhodes rush to the ring. The Rat Pack sees they no longer have the numbers and head to the locker room.

The baby faces make a quick stop at the interview desk where Kerry is pretty worked up about how low the Rat Pack are and they only want a fight when they have the advantage. He finishes off his interview by saying cowards don’t deserve to be champions!

IST ROUND MATCH OF #1 CONTENDERS TAG TEAM TOURNY

THE ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS

VS

THE MEMPHIS BRUISE BROTHERS

The crowd is really hyped up here as it is the return of the RnR Express to USWA Wrestling. It is a very typical match for Gibson and Morton. The RnR Express start with some quick and agile moves as they try to avoid the power of Porkchop Cash and the Dream Machine. A few too many leap frogs and duck-unders gets Morton caught in the wrong corner. Eventually he makes the tag and we some bonzo gonzo as all 4 men are in the ring. A nice double drop kick on the Dream Machine has the RnR Express into the semifinals.

MATCH:

JIMMY GARVIN with Precious

VS

TED ARCIDI

The crowd is hoping that the young and powerful Arcidi can pull the upset here and it looks like he has a great shot at this as he has Garvin stuck in a massive Bearhug. As the ref is asking Garvin to submit, Precious is able to connect with a low blow on Arcidi. As Arcidi goes down, Garvin struggles to regain his footing but when he does, he is able to connect with a knee to the face of Arcidi and he follows it up with a Brainbuster for the victory.

Very few people in the crowd saw the finish as they were focused on the outside of the ring. After Precious delivered her blow, Michael Hayes rushed out and caught her from behind. He then put her across his knee and gave her a good spanking! Hayes exited just before Garvin was able to get to him.

Jim Ross: I don’t know what Michael Hayes is thinking but it is obvious that he has had enough of Precious and her meddling ways.

Ernie Ladd: It doesn’t matter what happened in Japan. If Michael Hayes was raised correctly, he would not have put his hands on a women.

MATCH:

JYD

VS

THE IRON SHEIK

After Sheik gets the crowd going with his anti-American entrance, the Dog gets them up and dancing with “Another One Bites the Dust.” As for the match, it is a nice 50/50 match. The Iron Sheik actually had the Dog caught in the Camel Clutch but he was too close to the ropes and Sheik was forced to break the hold. Dog recovered with a few massive head-butts and before his finisher, he got the crowd going by “Howling at the Moon.” One Big Thump after that and the match was over.

Jim Ross hyped up the Dog’s return to the USWA while Ernie Ladd was convinced that the outcome would have been different if Skandar Akbar was with the Sheik.

Ross was not so sure of that but was intrigued by his absence.

MATCH:

DAN SPIVEY VS MIKE JACKSON

Poor Mike Jackson is all I have to say. The 6’8 300 pound Spivey really gave it to Jackson here. The end came after a big Thunder Fire Power Bomb. The match took all of 2 minutes and both Ross and Ladd showed real concern for the future health of Mike Jackson.

MAIN EVENT:

TERRY GORDY & STEVE WILLIAMS

VS

SHEIK CRUSHER BLACKWELL & SHEIK KEN PATERS

(with Skandar Akbar)

A big main event here as 2/3 of the World 6 Man Title take on 2/3 of the team who is gunning for their belts. After a brutal 7 or 8 minutes filled with power moves by each side, Skandar Akbar gets involved by tripping up Steve Williams. Gordy rushes in only to be pushed back by ref Scrappy McGowen. This allowed Patera to come off the ropes with a big running elbow to the back off Williams head. A quick tag to Crusher Blackwell sees him climb to the top rope and come off with a 420 pound Giant Splash. Gordy was a little late in making the save and the heels came away with the victory.

After the bout, Williams seems a little unhappy with how the last segment of the match went down and Ernie Ladd quickly wondered if there was some trouble in paradise. The temper was short lived as Gordy and Williams hug it out and exit together.

Jim Ross: So long from Little Rock, Arkansas. Don’t forget to join us this week in Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas where Kerry Von Erich goes for the USWA World Title against Ted Dibiase. Next week we will be live from the Tennessee State Fairgrounds in Nashville, Tennessee.

It's cool for me reading about JYD, Hayes, Garvin, The Bruise Brothers, The R n R Express and so on after they have spent time working for NJPW. I feel more of a connection to all of those characters now. It's interesting to read how you continue to build off of stuff that happened over here in Japan.

USWA WRESTLING:

3/11/1985: WTBS

Jackson, Mississippi

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to USWA WRESTLING from the Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson, Mississippi. I am Jim Ross and my partner today is the Big Cat, Ernie Ladd. What a Main Event we have for you tonight as we will see Kerry Von Erich and Dusty Rhodes together against the USWA World champion Ted Dibiase and the person responsible for him keeping his belt, Jerry, the King Lawler. Let’s get the show started with a first match.

MATCH:

1ST ROUND MATCH OF THE #1 CONTENDERS TAG TEAM TOURNY

THE TENNESSEE STUD STABLE (TOMMY RICH & EDDIE GILBERT)

VS

THE ASSASSINS

The Tennessee Stud Stable are on fire here and control about 70% of the match. The Assassins play dirty and get a few minutes on top but in the end, Gilbert got himself out of trouble and tagged in Wildfire who went on a wild rampage. He knocked Assassin #2 out of the ring and then connected with a Lou Thesz Press on Assassin #1.

Jim Ross hypes up this tournament and gives us a quick review and reminds us that so far the Road Warriors, the Rock N Roll Express and The Tennessee Stud Stable have moved into the semifinals.

MATCH: JIMMY SNUKA with GARY HART

VS

BRETT WAYNE SAWYER

A quick dismantling of Sawyer here as Snuka connects with a few flying body blocks and headbutts before climbing to the top and soaring through the air with a Superfly Death Leap.

A quick interview with Hart and Snuka and we are reminded that Hart doesn’t think there is anyone in the USWA who could defeat his monster and he goes on to demand a title shot with Jim Duggan for the North American Belt.

Jim Ross is worried about the new champ as it is obvious he has his list of challengers including Snuka and the former champ Hacksaw Butch Reed.

Ernie Ladd is excited either way as he can’t wait to see Duggan on his back for the three count and it doesn’t matter if it is Reed or Snuka.

CHRIS BENOIT

VS

NIGHTMARE #1 (TED ALLEN)

The veteran Nightmare #1 sells and bumps all over the ring here as the rookie Chris Benoit gets his first victory after connecting with a nasty Snap Suplex followed by a diving headbutt from the middle rope.

Benoit was still a little stiff but is obviously getting better week in and week out.

CHRIS BENOIT

VS

NIGHTMARE #1 (TED ALLEN)

The veteran Nightmare #1 sells and bumps all over the ring here as the rookie Chris Benoit gets his first victory after connecting with a nasty Snap Suplex followed by a diving headbutt from the middle rope.

Benoit was still a little stiff but is obviously getting better week in and week out.

Jim Ross announces that we have another newcomer to USWA up next and he is really impressive!

WARRIOR

VS

JOE SLVOLDI

Poor Jumping Joe here as this youngster is just muscles on top of muscles. Joe does his best to make Warrior look smooth but it is still a little slow and robotic. The end came after the Warrior connected with a Warrior Smash. (A Running Power Slam)

The crowd seemed to love his energy but it is going to be interesting to see which side of good and bad he falls.

MATCH

DUSTY RHODES & KERRY VON ERICH

VS

TED DIBIASE & JERRY LAWLER

Now this has it all! A little chain wrestling to get things going and to show Ted Dibiase that Kerry is just technically a little better. Then we see a double eye gouge by Lawler and the heels or off and running. They keep Dusty in their corner for a while and really work him over until he makes the tag to Kerry who goes absolutely wild. Dusty is unable to help after the beating he took so Kerry is going at it 2-1 and he is holding his own quite well. After he tosses Lawler to the floor, he connects with a tornado punch.

Jim Ross is excited that Kerry is about to pin the champ and how he hopes this is a sign of things to come this week in their title match in Reunion Arena in Dallas. Somehow Dibiase kicks out but Kerry leaps on him with the Iron Claw.

It appears Dibiase is about to give up!

WHACK!

Lawler has reemerged and cracks a chair over the head of Kerry. The ref quickly calls for the bell but the two heels are proud of themselves here as they leave the ring with Kerry and Rhodes laid out.

Ernie Ladd answers Ross back by saying he hopes the title match ends the same way this week. With another chair upside of Kerry on Erich’s head!

Jim Ross is once again disgusted by Ladd and thankful they are out of time.

Jim Ross: So long from Little Rock. Don’t forget the big card this week in Dallas, Texas and next week we will be live from Birmingham, Alabama and the Boutwell Auditorium. _________________________________________________________________________

USWA WRESTLING:

3/17/1985: WTBS

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

SORRY TO POST EARLY BUT WITH CCW AROUND NOW I WANT TO GET OUT OF ALABAMA AS SOON AS I CAN BUT THIS WAS WRITTEN EARLIER

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to USWA WRESTLING from the Boutwell Auditorium in Birmingham, Alabama. I am Jim Ross and my partner today is the Big Cat, Ernie Ladd. What a card we have for you tonight but before we get to the ring we must go to the video tape from Reunion Areana in Dallas, Texas and last week’s big World Title Match between Ted Dibiase vs Kerry Von Erich.

VIDEO TAPE

REUNION ARENA

USWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

TED DIBIASE VS KERRY VON ERICH

The video tape shows about 3 or 4 minutes of the match and it is all Kerry Von Erich. He is just whipping Dibiase from pillar to post and the belt seems to be in his grasp. That is until Ted Dibiase eye gouged him and threw him through the middle rope and out onto the floor. Kerry hit his head onto the ring post and rolled out onto the floor. He seemed to be a little shaken but really no worse for wear. As the ref’s count nears 5, Kerry gets a knee up onto the apron but all off a sudden the leg that is still on the floor is grabbed by two sets of hands from two people under the ring. All of this is out of sight of the ref who continues to count.

8…

Ernie Ladd is arguing that should have been a 10 count and the ref slowed up!

Kerry breaks free and makes it back into the ring. Nature Boy Buddy Landell and Flamboyant Eric Embry emerge from under the ring and Jim Ross is in shock and has no idea what they are doing there.

It takes him a minute but Kerry regains control of the match. Kerry connects three big moves in a row here. A big suplex followed by his signature Tornado Punch and finally the Iron Claw.

Dibiase refuses to submit but puts his shoulders on the mat for what appears to be just a second!

1…

2…

Jim Ross is going wild that Kerry is the new champ while Ernie Ladd is screaming that was the fastest count in history. Kerry’s father and brothers rush down to the ring to celebrate while Dibiase honestly looks dumbfunded. He walks back to the locker room with Landell and Embry and he is screaming at the ref the entire way!

As the tape ends, we hear Ernie Ladd saying that this is not the first time that a VonErich has cheated his way to the top but if he has something to do about it, it will be the LAST!

Kerry Von Erich comes out to the interview desk with his belt in hand a big smile on his face. Where he just thanks everyone who could and claims that he is going to be a fighting champion!

IST ROUND MATCH OF #1 CONTENDERS TAG TEAM TOURNY

KEVIN VON ERICH & ICEMAN KING PARSONS

VS

THE RAT PACK (BUDDY LANDELL & ERIC EMBRY)

(SUBSTITUTION FOR MURDOCH & SLATER)

This is the NewRat Packs first match in the USWA and boy do they play the heels really well. A lot of stall tactics as they run to the ropes for the first few minutes of the match and they also pat themselves on the back as often as they could. Both Landell and Embry do a great job of bringing themselves some heat from the fans.

We get a bit of everything here after the stall tactics. The baby faces take control early as they are just more technically sound. Then the heels turn to their dirty tactics as Embry rakes the eyes of Iceman and then they trap him in their corner for a few minutes of nastiness. Each time Kevin tried to get involved, ref Scrappy McGowan pushed him out of the ring. Finally, we get the rolling tag from Iceman to VonErich who comes in like a house afire and clears the ring. This sets us up for the wild ending where Rat Pack leader Ted Dibiase makes an appearance and distracts KevinVon Erich and the ref. This allows a quick double team on Iceman followed by a Piledriver by Embry on Parsons for the 3 count!

Ernie Ladd can’t control his laughter as he loves it whenever a Von Erich goes down while Jim Ross is sick to his stomach at the shennenigans of the Rat Pack. Nevertheless, The Rat Pack is into the second round!

Jim Ross goes on to announce that match-ups for the second round which begins tomorrow night.

1. The Road Warriors vs The Tennessee Stud Stable (Rich & Gibert)

2. The Rock N Roll Express vs The Rat Pack (Murdoch & Slater)

MATCH:

MICHAEL HAYES

VS

“ ROTTEN” RON STARR

Michael Hayes is a main without a friend. He is all alone in the USWA and that is a dangerous place to be. He does come out on top of this one as he catches Starr in the Running Bull Dog but he just doesn’t seem to have his electricity.

Jim Ross says that Hayes is finally getting what is owed to him as he has burned so many bridges here in the USWA that he deserves to be all alone.

MATCH:

JYD

VS

NORVELL AUSTIN

Now why does Southern Wrestling have to be so violent? In the North, it seems that wrestling is trying to convince a 6 year old that it is real but for everyone else it is entertainment. In the South, wrestling is trying to convince everyone wrestling is real and a fight is violent. This match is no different. Austin uses every dirty trick he knows to its fullest here but once the Dog gets going there is nothing stomping him. After a few minutes he had enough of Austin’s biting and stomping and played dirty himself. A few dog bites to the forehead by JYD followed by some massive headbutts had Norvell busted open. An Irish Whip to a Big Thump gives the Dog the victory.

Jim Ross hypes up the fact that the fans love having their Dog back in the USWA and now maybe some order will be restored around here.

MATCH:

BIG BUBBA RODGERS VS BRETT WAYNE SAWYER

Brett Wayne Sawyer bumps and sells all over the ring and makes the rookie look good here. Traylor’s size is impressive and when he comes off that middle rope for a Big Splash with all 315 pounds it makes the fans ohh and ahh. It also gives him his first win in the USWA!

MAIN EVENT:

USWA 6 MAN WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

MIRACLE VIOLENCE COMMITTEE

VS

THE ASSASSINS (Jody Hamilton, Mark Lewin & Fidel Sierra wearing masks)

The champs put on a powerful display here but about halfway through the match, Skandar Akbar leads his Sheiks to ringside. Hacksaw Reed, Ken Patera and Crusher Blackwell wearing Arabian Headdresses are a scary site for most but the Miracle Violence Committee are not most and this seems to inspire them. They give the Assassins a good beating with the end coming when Dr. Death caught Assassin #3 with an Oklahoma Stampede.

Just as the ref makes the 3 count the Sheiks surprise everyone by rushing the ring. The Assassins don’t want to get in anyone’s way and head to higher ground. Now we get one of the best Pier 6 Brawls in all of wrestling. Steve Williams, Terry Gordy, Manny Fernandez, Butch Reed, Ken Patera and Crusher Blackwell are 6 huge men just beating the Hell out of each other.

Ernie Ladd and Jim Ross hype this up as much as they could before the screen faded to black and the show came to an end.

Jim Ross: So long from Birmingham, Alabama. Don’t forget to join us this week in the Lake Front Arena in New Orleans as the North American Champion, Hacksaw Jim Duggan takes on Jimmy Superfly Snuka with Gary Hart. Next week we will be live from Lake Charles, Louisiana and the Sudduth Coliseum.

It’s official! Fritz Von Erich and Cowboy Bill Watts are at WAR! Kind of.

While it has been clear that these two have never been completely on the same page, this week was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Insiders have confirmed that there were numerous screw jobs recently; most of which were headed by Fritz.

First of all at the Super Card in Memphis, TN there was to be a new champion. Dusty Rhodes was to defeat Ted Dibiase and become the new USWA World Champion. Somewhere behind closed doors, Fritz meet with Jerry Jarrett and they came up with a new plan. Originally, Jerry Lawler was to rush in and get a huge pop from the Memphis crowd and then he would save the day by acting as the referee and make the three count in favor a Dusty. Instead, Lawler surprised everyone and made the count on Dibiase. This match had huge ramifications for the top star in the USWA as now Dusty Rhodes can’t receive another title shot this year.

The reasons for this might be justifiable as the adding of Jerry Jarrett to USWA would add huge markets including Memphis, Nashville and Louisville to their loops but Watts believes the true motive was for Fritz to get Kerry Von Erich to the top of the promotion and for Jarrett to have Lawler jump right into a mega feud with Rhodes which could be huge!

Screw Job #2: The finish between Stan Hansen and Kerry Von Erich in the Mid-South Coliseum! The original plan was to have Hansen win and have a wild feud with Dusty for the belt but due to some shenanigans and a fast count, Kerry defeated Hansen after only one Tornado Punch! Hansen was so angry he left the USWA and vowed not to return.

Screw Job #3: The coup de gras…. Kerry Von Erich meet Dibiase in Reunion Arena last week and there was not to a title change but both Watts and Fritz agreed that giving Kerry the shot in Dallas would draw a large crowd. Instead, some back room talks were had between Fritz and the ref. Dibiase was to win when the newest members of the Rat Pack, Buddy Landell and Eric Embry emerged but instead the ref fast counted Dibiase’s shoulders to the mat and Kerry became the newest champion.

The Outcome: THE FORMATION OF THE UWF

Fritz and Watts will run their own promotions but will recognize the same World Champion. Watt’s is going back to controlling Mid-South Wrestling while Fritz is still debating on whether to return to his original name of World Class or stay with USWA.

In order for the two to compete with the growing national promotions like the WWF, NWA (International) and the AWA, the two will come together to run 5 or 6 mega shows each year. The first will be the David Von Erich Memorial which is to be held in the Cotton Bowl on May 4th. It will be here that the first UWF Champion will be crowned.

Fritz with some help from Jarrett will run the USWA and focus mainly on Texas and Tennessee while Watts will return to the Mid-South hot beds of Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Mississippi.

Ted Turner is really excited and will continue to hoist both shows on WTBS with the announce team of Ross and Ladd staying with Mid-South and Lance Russell and Dave Brown will be back together again announcing USWA Wrestling.

ROSTERS: This was a real sticking point and the best solution was a “Draft” where they both submitted a list of their wants. In the end, both organizations will have 20 full time wrestlers. Anybody not placed on a roster full time will be open to either promotion on a per diem basis. Wrestlers will also be free to work for the other on their “off” days.

ALL WORLD CHAMPIONS MUST GIVE EQUAL TIME TO EACH TERRITORY. IN ORDER FOR THERE TO BE A BELT CHANGE, THERE MUST BE A 2/3 MAJORITY VOTE BY THE HEADS OF THE TERRITORIES. THAT’S RIGHT FOLKS: 2/3. THAT MEANS THE UWF IS LOOKINF FOR NEW MEMBERS TO JOIN. THIS WAS ADDED TO THE CONTRACT BECAUSE NEITHER FRITZ NOR WATTS TRUSTS THE OTHER FROM ANOTHER SCREW JOB! ANY TERRITORIES THAT WISH TO APPLY ARE FREE TO DO SO.

You will just have to tune in to WTBS in the weeks to come to see who is where!’’

TITLE STRUCTURE

UWF WORLD CHAMPION: VACANT

UWF WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: PERFECT ALLIANCE

UWF WORLD 6 MAN CHAMPIONS: THE MIRACLE VIOLENCE COMMITTEE

UWF WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION: BILLY JACK HAYNES

USWA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: KERRY VON ERICH

NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPION (#1 BELT IN MID-SOUTH) CHAMPION: HACKSAW DUGGAN

**** FIRST JOINT MEGA SHOW: MAY 4th at the COTTON BOWL: The David Von Erich Memorial!

CONTRACT STIPULATIONS:

· ALL WORLD CHAMPIONS MUST GIVE EQUAL TIME TO EACH TERRITORY.

· IN ORDER FOR THERE TO BE A BELT CHANGE, THERE MUST BE A 2/3 MAJORITY VOTE BY THE HEADS OF THE TERRITORIES.

THAT’S RIGHT FOLKS: 2/3. THAT MEANS THE UWF IS LOOKINF FOR NEW MEMBERS TO JOIN. THIS WAS ADDED TO THE CONTRACT BECAUSE NEITHER FRITZ NOR WATTS TRUSTS THE OTHER FROM ANOTHER SCREW JOB! ANY TERRITORIES THAT WISH TO APPLY ARE FREE TO DO SO.

WELCOME TO THE NEW DAY OF SOUTHERN WRASTLIN!

HIYxdeH.jpg?1

TgMwVvn.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

14vEsWk.jpg?1

TgMwVvn.jpg?1

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

“Yello again everybody. Welcome to UWF and USWA Wrestling from Memphis, Tennessee and the WMC Studio. I am Lance Russell along with Gary Hart. We have a jam packed show tonight but first let’s get to the video tape from this week in Nashville where USWA Champion Kerry Von Erich took on Jimmy Garvin.

VIDEO MATCH: USWA CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

KERRY VON ERICH

VS

JIMMY GARVIN with PRECIOUS

With the World Title on the line for Kerry and the service of Precious on the line for Garvin this one is wild from the get go. We get a little ref bump here late as Precious comes into the ring with the loaded purse. Garvin is holding Kerry but he slips out as the last second and Precious knocks her own man out cold. The ref stumbles over and not only does Kerry retain the title, he gets the services of Precious for the next 90 days.

When the video ends we see Kerry coming to the interview desk but he is alone. When asked where Precious is, he just laughs.

Kerry hypes up his victory and reminds Garvin he should not bet things he can’t afford to lose. He asks everybody to take a look at Precious on the video screen where we see her working at the Von Erich farm. She is cleaning out stalls, milking cows, feeding the chickens and last we see her fall in the slop while tending to the pigs.

Everyone has a good laugh except for Ernie Ladd who finds it disgusting how the VonErichs are treating a classy lady like Precious. Kerry tells Ladd not to worry, that Precious will be in the building later when he and Iceman take on Garvin and his new partner, Rip Rogers!

MATCH: UWF WORLD TV TITLE MATCH

BILLY JACK HAYNES

VS

WARRIOR

A huge opportunity here for the impressive rookie but it was just a little too soon. The match was full of power moves but in the end, it was Billy Jack’s experience that allowed him to wiggle free before being nailed with a running power slam. He quickly connected with a neckbreaker which softened Warrior up for the Full Nelson for the submission victory. Both men shook hands here as even Ernie Ladd said this rookie has a bright future.

MATCH:

RUSHER KIMURA

VS

KING COBRA

An almost identical repeat from Kimura’s debut last week here in the USWA. Just a complete massacre of poor, King Cobra. Kimura was very impressive with such moves as a double arm suplex and some massive chops that echoed throughout the building. The end came after Rusher did little to endear him to the USWA fans as he gave the throat slashing kill sign to the crowd before nearly decapitating the young Jimmy Del Ray with a powerful Running Lariat.

JIMMY SNUKA with Gary Hart

VS

MIKE JACKSON

Pure beating here that ends with a SuperFly Death Leap! At the interview desk, Gary Hart continues to put pressure on Kerry VonErich to give his man a USWA Title Shot!

Lance tells Hart he should just sit back and watch the next match and make sure his man is ready for Kerry! This really angered Hart and Snuka!

MATCH:

RIP ROGERS & JIMMY GARVIN

VS

KERRY VON ERICH & ICEMAN PARSONS

A fun match here that shows Kerry force Precious to hold the ropes down for him to enter. This really got Garvin mad as the heels tried to attack before the bell. Kerry and Iceman were ready for this and handled the onslaught. We get some quick tags once things are settled down but the heels play it real dirty and trap Iceman who takes a good beating. Eventually Kerry comes in like a house afire and catches Rip Rogers with a tornado punch for the victory.

Precious just seems to have eyes for Garvin and she looks over her shoulder as she is forced to leave with the winners!

WHAM!

Snuka is all over Kerry as Hart’s other two monsters, Fatu and the Tonga Kid take care of Iceman. Precious seems to be enjoying this and is having a great laugh! As we go to commercial break, Gary Hart seems to have answered Lance’s question and now everyone is wondering if Kerry is ready for Snuka!

MAIN EVENT:

USWA #1 CONTENDERS MATCH

THE ROAD WARRIORS with Paul Ellering

VS

THE ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS

Here we go! These might be the two biggest names in tag team wrestling in the entire world and they are fighting to become the #1 contenders for the UWF World Titles.

As the action begins, Lance Russell does inform us that we only have about 10 minutes left in today’s show. The match is like three different matches all in one. First we see the Rock n Roll Express running the ropes and doing their best to keep their distance from the Road Warriors. In part two, we see the Rock n Roll Express to continue with the advantage but now they are doing their best to neutralize the power of the Road Warriors with some arm bars and leg locks. Eventually the Road Warriors catch the Express being a little too cute and this is where the power goes on display. Clotheslines, body slams, Ax Handle Smashes. It was just brutal but what was so amazing that the Rock n Roll Express manages to make save after save.

With about one minute left in the show, Morton made his customary tag to Gibson who comes in like a house afire but after a few drop kicks, Animal recovers enough to simply catch him. He tags in Hawk who climbs to the top rope and with his signature top rope leaping clothesline, Gibson crashes to the mat right on his head. Morton is still too hurt to make the save and the Road Warriors are the new #1 contenders for the title!

Lance Russell: So long from Tulsa. Don’t forget to join us this week in San Antonio where the Main Event has just been signed. It will be

Jimmy Snuka, Fatu and Tonga Kid with Gary Hart vs the VonErichs

I know many of my TV shows are unrealistic for 1985 but just find it is the only way for me to enjoy this hobby and keep up with all else that life has to offer. Two TV shows is all that fits my schedule right now which makes for a fun read. Maybe I should just hype up more of the big house show of the week and then show more footage from that event. Might be more realistic.