• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14vEsWk.jpg?1

6/1/1985: WTBS

9:05-10:05

MEMPHIS, TENNESSE

The show begins with a short video clip from Continental Championship Wrestling and the Rocket City Rumble in Huntsville, Alabama.

Sammartino stops Arcidi from interfering a couple of different times and points it out to referee Ron West who eventually bans Arcidi from ringside….which pops the crowd….at one point Dusty manages to reverse Idol's 'Las Vegas Leg lock' and Idol looks to be moments from submitting as Blassie gets up on the apron and distracts Ron West…..as he does this Sammartino reaches in between the ropes….and buries his fingers in Dusty's eyes until he breaks the hold….Dusty is momentarily blinded but lunges towards Sammartino who blasts Dusty with a big right hand that staggers him backwards into a school boy roll up from Idol as Blassie gets down off the apron….West sees the pin….1-2-3!! AUSTIN IDOL IS THE NEW UWF WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!!!!

Blassie embraces David Sammartino at ringside as Idol grabs the belt and they take off down the aisle as Dusty struggles to get up off the mat….he grabs a mic.

Dusty: "David Sammartino….YOU ARE A DEAD MAN BABY!! YOU HEAR ME…A DEAD MAN!!!"

W3ako9N.jpg?2

“Yello again everybody. Welcome to UWF and USWA Wrestling from Memphis, Tennessee and the WMC Studio. I am Lance Russell and once again I am joined by the young guest announcer, Jeff Jarrett. That’s right folks, with the aid of Freddie Blassie and the son of the legendary Bruno Sammartino, David Sammartino, and Austin Idol has defeated the American Dream to become the UWF Universal Heavyweight Champion.

Lance Russell: And wrestling fans that was not the only title to change hands this week. Let’s get right back to the video tape from last week’s event right here in Memphis and the Mid-South Coliseum. A No Disqualification Bout between Kerry Von Erich with Precious vs Jimmy Garvin with Nanny Simpson.

The video begins and we see Kerry VonErich wrestling from on top here and catches Garvin with a Tornado Punch and Garvin goes down hard. Kerry follows it up with the Iron Claw and Garvin is in a bad way. All of a sudden, Nanny Simpson rushes in and tries to take Kerry’s head of with the “Loaded Purse.” Precious gets there just in time and knocks Nanny away. Kerry is red hot at Nanny and grabs her. The crowd is going wild as Precious lines up to hit Nanny with the purse while Kerry holds her.

WHAM!

Precious clocks Kerry right in the head and he goes down like a sack of potatoes. Both Nanny and Precious help Garvin make the cover on Kerry. As we see the ref make the 3 count, Garvin, Nanny and Precious all celebrate in the center of the ring as they are handed the USWA Heavyweight Championship!

As the video ends we see Jimmy Garvin and Precious at the interview desk.

Jimmy Garvin: Are the VonErichs that arrogant or just plain stupid? I mean 90 days is 90 days. Did Kerry really think Precious would turn on her man? I mean it took us all of 2 minutes to come up with a plan to use her niece, Nanny and for Precious to play the jealous girl! Did that dumb Texan believe someone like Precious would ever be by his side on purpose? Well the title is mine and there’s no way I am given it up! Stupid VonErichs!

The funny thing here is the Texas-Tennessee War is so hot that the fans seem pleased here in Memphis that Garvin suckered Kerry!

MATCH:

JIMMY SNUKA

VS

RON SEXTON

Snuka with an easy win here with the Super Fly Splash!

At the interview desk, Snuka is asked about the Dingo Warrior and the idea that he might join Skandar Akbar and his stable of monsters. Snuka doesn’t seem worried and let’s everyone know he has friends to and if this gets bloody, he is ready to go!

When asked who his friends are, Snuka simply smiles and tells them to wait and see.

------------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS-----------------

Lance Russell: Well fans, coming out next is Jerry Jarrett and he has a major announcement for all the USWA fans.

Jeff Jarrett: Hi Daddy!

Jerry Jarrett: Well it is obvious to all involved that the feud between Tennessee and Texas is reaching a dangerous level. It has been proven that even bloodshed will not solve it. Maybe the problem is not the wrestlers but the two old goats running USWA….. Myself and Fritz VonErich. He has his ways and I have mine and together we are like oil and water. Cowboy Bill Watts has stepped and told us “A House Divided Cannot Stand,” and that if USWA is going to continue to be a part of the UWF, one of must go. That will happen at the next big UWF Super Card on July 3rd. This card is being tabbed as “Battleground” and will take place at the Louisiana Superdome! Along with other huge matches, there will be 3 Six Man Tag Matches consisting of only wrestlers from Texas and Tennessee. Each match will be worth 1 point. First side to get 2 points wins. If Texas wins, I must give up more share of the USWA and if Tennessee wins, Fritz is OUT!

Lance Russell: Wow, I have heard of Loser-Leave Town Matches but this is a Loser-Loses his Company Match!

Jeff Jarrett: Ummm, Dad are you sure about his? I mean we have big plans.

Jerry Jarrett: I am sure and I am excited to announce one of my three teams is headed to the ring right now!

MATCH:

UWF 6 Man World Champions

THE TENNESSE VOLUNTEER ARMY

(Rich, Gilbert and Honky Tonk Wayne Ferris)

VS

BOBBY JAGGERS, MAN MOUNTAIN LINK & THE CUBAN ASSASSIN

The Tennessee Volunteer Army gets a huge ovation here in Memphis and after a hard fought match that had some real back and forth to it, we see Honky Tonk get the victory with a Swinging Neck breaker on Man Mountain Link.

The Champs spend a quick moment at the interview desk where the thank Jerry Jarrett for choosing them as one of his Tennessee Teams and that they will do the Volunteer State proud! The hope they get to beat those lowly VonErich boys again!

MATCH:

THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS with JIM CORNETTE

(Bobby Eaton & Dennis Condrey)

VS

RANDY BARBER & LANNY POFFO

Jim Cornette: Ladies and Gentlemen, there are a lot of mothers in the world but there is only one mother who is the best. That’s right, my mother. I mean it was her funds that bought the Midnight Express! Now you no class ingrates gets to see the greatest tag team in the world today……Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Dennis…...The Midnight Express. Oh and mother, send my allowance.

A total squash match here with the end coming when Condrey launches Eaton into the air for a Rocket Launcher!

Back at the interview desk, Cornette is beginning another of his rants about how his team deserves a title match when all of a sudden Baby Doll saunters out.

Jim Cornette: Oh brother, not the two tons of mascara again. Baby Doll, I am warning you if you come one step closer I might not be able to control this tennis racket in my hand.

Baby Doll: Jim Cornette… any time you got the guts, I will take you on a beat you like that mommy of yours should have done years ago but right now I am out here to let you know that your team is not the greatest. All I had to do was say that I was looking for a team to beat Jim Cornette and his band of losers and within 5 minutes, the teams were lined up at my door……

Jim Cornette: Are you sure that is why they were lined up at your door. I mean look at that outfit you are wearing.

Bobby Eaton: Come on. I have had enough of this. I dropped Baby Doll like a ….

WHACK

Baby Doll smacks Eaton but now she is in some trouble as the Midnight Express begins to close in.

The crowd explodes as Jeff Jarrett simply says “There Back.”

The Fabulous Ones, Steve Keirn and Stan Lane hit the interview area and go wild on the Midnight Express who scamper back to the locker room with the Fab Ones in hot pursuit.

Before our main event, Lance Russell and Jeff Jarrett really hype up the return of the Fab Ones and what that means not only for the Midnight Express but the entire tag team division.

All of a sudden, Jerry “The King” Lawler comes out and hypes up the fact that Tennessee is going to wipe the floor with the Texas boys at Battleground and that there is no reason to wait until July 3rd. He calls out any wrestler from Texas to come out now and get in the ring with him and he guarantees the match won’t even go 5 minutes.

The Memphis crowd goes wild as he heads to the ring where he waits. His gesturing to the locker room is all a ruse as he believes there is nobody here tonight from Texas! He is just so cocky but the crowd loves it.

Lance Russell: Oh my God…. Look who is coming to the ring. It is the American Dream.

MAIN EVENT:

DUSTY RHODES

VS

JERRY LAWLER

A ref rushes out and this impromptu match is under way. A complete and under brawl that sees Dusty get the upper hand. Dusty hits a few Bionic Elbows and the Memphis crowd is seeing their King getting beat from pillar to post.

As Rhodes seems on the verge of victory …..

Lance Russell: What in the Sam Hill is this…..? Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy hits the ring.

Jeff Jarrett: YES!!! The Big Man from Chattanooga baby! The Tennessee Volunteer Army is getting bigger and bigger.

Gordy grabs Rhodes and whips him off the ropes and connects with a huge powerslam! Gordy is bouncing all around the ring just daring Rhodes to get up.

Lance Russell: Oh my, what is going on here?

Jeff Jarrett: NO

Lance Russell: It seems like the Original Texas Outlaws are back together again. It is Captain Redneck, Dick Murdoch.

Murdoch hits the ring and meets Gordy in the center of the ring. Haymaker after haymaker are being thrown here. Lawler and Rhodes are back up and the show is going Bonzo Gonzo here.

Lance Russell: What a night this has been. This Texas-Tennessee rivalry is getting out of hand. Not sure we can wait to the Louisiana Superdome on July 3rd. So long from Memphis!

14vEsWk.jpg?1

6/8/1985: WTBS

DALLAS, TEXAS

TgMwVvn.jpg?1

“Yello again everybody. Welcome to USWA Wrestling, a UWF Promotion, from the world’s most famous wrestling arena, The Sportatorium in downtown Dallas, Texas. I am Lance Russell along with Fritz Von Erich. We have a real busy show for you but first Fritz, let’s get to the big news from last week where your partner made a huge announcement that you two have signed a Loser Loses His Company Match.

Fritz VonErich: That’s right Lance. On July 3rd at Battleground in the Louisiana Superdome, there will be three 6 Man Tag Matches between wrestlers from Texas and Tennessee. Each match will be a no time limit match and whichever team wins the majority of the matches will win the company for their state. Last week in Memphis, we saw that blowhard, Jerry “The Queen” Lawler call out any wrestler from Texas and low and behold, we were ready for him. We had The American Dream there and he put a pounding on Lawler. Then from out of nowhere, Terry Gordy, I think he is from Chattanooga, come in and try to save Lawler. If I have learned two things in my time in this sport, they are never trust a man from Tennessee and as the Von Erichs keep finding out, never trust a Freebird. We were ready for this sneak attack with Captain Redneck, Dick Murdoch.

Lance Russell: What a scene that was! Any other surprises in store for us tonight?

Fritz Von Erich: You will just have to wait and see but let’s get right to the ring where my son Mike, who by the way will be in Battleground will be taking on a newcomer to the USWA, Studd Lee.

MATCH: MIKE VON ERICH VS STUDD LEE

Studd Lee comes out a wearing an orange mask and is doing his best to rile up all the fans. Fritz does notice one thing about Studd Lee and that is his height as he calls the 6’5 newcomer a “long drink of water.” The Dallas crowd does pop as Mike heads to the ring. Studd Lee doesn’t waste any time and goes right to the attack. Mike is forced to wrestle from the bottom here for a while but he eventually gets going and is giving it pretty good to Studd Lee.

All of a sudden, another 6’5 guy in an orange mask comes out to ringside and starts to cheer on his “partner.” Fritz and Lance are both confused and concerned for Mike but the youngest of the VonErich’s is wrestling like a man possessed. All of a sudden he catches Lee with a drop kick and Lee rolls out to the floor.

We get the old switch-a-roo here as the other masked wrestler rolls back in to the ring without the ref noticing. This new masked man plays injured and surprises Mike with a roll up. He grabs the trunks and get the pinfall.

Now both masked men are in the ring given it to Mike. After a few boots, they lift him up and

WHAM!

A spike piledriver.

Mike is hurt and Fritz himself begins to rush to the ring. The two masked men pull off their masks and ….

Lance Russell: Oh my God. It is Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden. The Tennessee Stud Stable is in Texas. Has this war no boundaries. Wrestlers are coming from all over Texas and Tennessee to be a part of this historic event.

All of a sudden, Kevin and Kerry join Fritz in their pursuit of the Stud Stable but Fuller and Golden escape just in the nick of time!

Before our next bout, we here from Fritz and he is fuming mad and says that one thing is for certain, “We are in Dallas tonight and in Dallas …. I make the rules. Right here tonight, The Tennessee Stud Stable will pay the price for their sneak attack on my son! In the main event tonight, we will see the Tennessee Stud Stable vs Kevin & Kerry VonErich!

Before our next match, Lance hypes up that main event big time!

DINGO WARRIOR with SKANDAR AKBAR

VS

TERRY ADONIS

This is the first time with have seen the Dingo Warrior officially with Akbar and he is dominate in this squash match as the end comes quickly after a Warrior Smash.

At the interview desk Lance Russell let’s Akbar and the Dingo Warrior that they seem to have a mounting number of opponents who want a piece of them….. From Jimmy Snuka to JYD to the Road Warriors.

Skandar Akbar: It doesn’t matter who wants a piece of Devastation Inc. With my newest member in the Dingo Warrior along with Hacksaw Reed, Ken Patera and Crusher Blackwell we are unstoppable. It is not us who should be worried. It is the entire UWF who should be worried. Mark my words, Skandar Akbar and his men will control all of the gold in a very short time!

The crowd pops as Jimmy Snuka appears and says that he is sick and tired of Akbar and his big mouth.

Akbar warns him to watch his mouth or he is in for a world a hurt.

Snuka seems ready for the challenge and gets right in the face of Dingo. The Warrior doesn’t back down but Akbar wants to make sure his newest member doesn’t get embarrassed here by Snuka so he calls the rest of the stable (Reed, Patera and Blackwell)

Snuka just laughs and tells Akbar that he is going to need a lot more than that!

nTdsRte.jpg?1

Skandar Akbar: For you? You are crazier than I thought.

WHAM!!!

From out of nowhere come 2 of the biggest Samoans you have ever seen and even though it is 4-3, Snuka and his pals seem to be in control. The interview area is a mess as bodies and debris are scattered all over the place.

Lance and Fritz rush us to break in hopes of regaining order.

MATCH: UWF WORLD TV TITLE MATCH

ICEMAN PARSONS VS MAN MOUNTAIN LINK

gvu01ei.png?3

A pretty good match that had a little back and forth but the champion connected with his Butt Bump for the victory.

Iceman gives a quick interview where he tells us how he wants to be a fighting champion and take on all challengers. This is where Rip Rogers comes out and says that Iceman is anything but a fighting champion and it is proven by the fact that he won’t give Rip a title shot. Iceman is angry and says that he will fight anybody the UWF puts in front of him and if Rogers wants a title shot, he needs to earn it the eyes of the UWF Board of Directors.

Rip Rogers: If he clucks like a chicken, it is a chicken!

Iceman is so angry he just simple walks away. Rogers takes off his boot and clocks Iceman over the head and Iceman hits the ground hard. All of a sudden, the USWA Heavyweight Champion, Jimmy Garvin, rushes out with a bucket of something and a pillow case. Together they dump the entire bucket over the Iceman.

Lance Russell: What in the Sam Hill is in that bucket? Ohh,ohh no. I think it is Tar. Now Rogers is dumping the pillow case over Iceman and it was full of feathers. Do you believe this? Rogers and Garvin have just Tarred and Feathered the UWF TV Champion.

MATCH:

THE FABULOUS ONES with BABY DOLL

VS

THE KINISKI BROTHERS

Now this might be the hottest team in all of the USWA and by hot we mean looks. The Tuxedo and Top Hot Strip Tease by the Fabulous Ones and the tight leather pants on Baby Doll have women and men alike in heat.

As for the match, we get the usual Fab Ones match here. A quick start followed by a little trouble followed by a quick finish. The end came when Lane nearly took the head off of Kelly Kiniski with a Super Kick!

At the interview desk, Baby Doll, Lane and Keirn all took turns bashing Jim Cornette, his mother and the Midnight Express.

MAIN EVENT MATCH:

THE TENNESSEE STUDD STABLE

VS

KEVIN & KERRY VON ERICH

It seems like this is getting a little predictable. A complete brawl between the Tennessee and Texas factions followed by a run in by one side or another. Even though the concept is predictable the names are not and the fans are loving it!

The show ends in one huge riot. The Texans were once again on the short end of the stick as the numbers game finished 8-7 in favor of Tennessee. The usually suspects of Rich, Gilbert, HTM, Jerry Lawler, Terry Gordy were on hand but newest member to Battleground for Tennessee was Ricky Morton! All of a sudden Fritz could not take it anymore and hit the ring. Now it was 8-8 and the Texans regained control of the ring as the Sportatorium crowd went wild.

Lance Russell: I must admit that I have never seen anything like this. This is a fast becoming the War to end all Wars! Battleground in the Louisiana Superdome is less than a month away but I am not sure this company can survive like this until then. So long from Dallas!

USWA WRESTLING:

6/15/1985: WTBS

MEMPHIS, TENNESSE

“Yello again everybody. Welcome to UWF and USWA Wrestling from Memphis, Tennessee and the WMC Studio. I am Lance Russell and once again I am joined by the young guest announcer, Jeff Jarrett.

SHORT VERSION HERE DUE TO THE MOVE

1. Both Tennessee and Texas name 8 of the 9 wrestlers who will compete in Battleground. Remember whichever team wins two matches will win control of the USWA for their “boss” ….. Fritz in Texas and Jarrett in Tennessee

TENNESEE TEXAS

1. Jerry Lawler Dusty Rhodes

2. Terry Gordy Kerry Von Erich

3. Tommy Rich Dick Murdoch

4. Eddie Gilbert Kevin Von Erich

5. Honk Tonk Man Stan Hansen

6. Robert Fuller Mike Von Erich

7. Jimmy Golden Blackjack Mulligan

8. Robert Gibson The Texas Ranger

After reading the list, the young Jarrett is fired up because it is obvious that Fritz is playing games with the 8th wrestler. Lance reminds him that it was his father who sent in the Tennessee Stud Stable last week in Dallas to attack Mike VonErich under the name of Stud Lee.

This angle also brought us our main event which was a UWF 6 Man title match where the champions, Rich, Gilbert and HTM retained their titles against Rhodes, Dick Murdoch and Blackjack Mulligan. The challengers won the match but by DQ when Lawler and Terry Gordy interfered.

2. Jimmy Snuka won a squash match against Snake Brown where he got some serious fan approval. At the interview desk he was joined by the two large Samoans who helped but down Akbar and his clan last week. The Samoans were revealed as Farmer Boy Ipo and LeRoy Brown. Together the three vowed to stop the Dingo Warrior and any of Akbar’s other goons.

We also find out that it will be Jimmy Snuka vs Dingo Warrior at Battleground on July 3 at the Louisiana Superdome.

3. We also hear from the UWF TV Champion, Iceman King Parsons after he was tarred and feathered last week by Rip Rogers with the help of the USWA Heavyweight Champion, Jimmy Garvin. Iceman demands and is granted a title defense against Rogers at Battleground. Rogers and Garvin try to come out and push Iceman around but as soon as the play rough, it is Brad Armstrong who rushes out to make the save and we get a little craziness here with the fan favorites in control of the studio.

4. The Midnight Express got upset in a bout against Tiger Conway Jr. and Chris Benoit when Baby Doll came out and clocked Jim Cornette right in the head with a big right hand. This was all a set up as it appears the Fab Ones are using some Midnight Express tactics in this war. Denis Condrey and Bobby Eaton were distracted by Baby Doll just long enough to have Benoit roll up Condrey for the victory.

At the interview desk, Cornett was fuming and was going to sue everyone in sight if his Midnight Express did not get a shot and the Fab Ones at Battleground. Jerry Jarrett came out and said that he would grant Cornett’s demand and raise the stakes and make the match a #1 contender’s match for the UWF Tag Title!

Jim Cornette was beaming but Jarrett said that he was not done. He will grant Cornett’s wish only if Cornette accepts the demand of Baby Doll to face him one on in the ring at Battleground!

Cornette goes on to whine for some time and says he will have to let us know next week after talking to him mommy because his mommy always taught him to never hit a women!

The USWA continues to roll tide if you will as the Dingo Warrior is thrust right into the spotlight. I have said it before, as a rookie, he and Sting are valued commodities and it would be interesting to see how they would handle this type of exposure so early into their careers. One thing that is kind of interesting for me is your television and how you have some of the jobber guys working at both Tennessee and Oklahoma, relatively close together in terms of time.

Thanks for the comments. I agree that I have Dingo playing too big a role here but I have tried to mention in my shows that he has often be carried in the ring by his opponents and I have not had him win too much. I have tried to put him with a manager so that he has time to work on his mic skills.

I agree that I must be much more careful in the future with the location of my jobbers. That will all work itself out in a few weeks as I am thinking of a new format.

USWA WRESTLING:

6/22/1985: WTBS

DALLAS, TEXAS

LAST USWA/UWF SHOW BEFORE BATTLEGROUND. WILL RESUME WEEKLY SHOWS AFTER FAMILY VACATION IN THE SECOND WEEK OF JULY

“Yello again everybody. Welcome to USWA Wrestling, a UWF Promotion, from the world’s most famous wrestling arena, The Sportatorium in downtown Dallas, Texas. I am Lance Russell along with Fritz Von Erich.

SHORT VERSION AGAIN DUE TO MOVING….. JUST USED TO HYPE UP BATTLEGROUND ON JULY 3rd IN THE LOUISIANA SUPERDOME!

TENNESSEE VS TEXAS ANGLE:

Both Jerry Jarrett and Fritz are in studio and they reveal their teams in the Winner-Take-The Company- 6 Man Matches.

Jarret goes first as says he is putting the UWF WORLD 6 MAN Champions, the Tennessee Volunteer Army in the first match which is Tommy “Wildfire” Rich, Eddie “Hot Stuff” Gilbert and the Honky Tonk Man with the titles on the line!

Fritz, with a smile on his face, says he is so excited by Jarrett’s first team as it means that he will not only win control of the USWA but will also be in control of the 6 man titles.

Fritz: I am proud to announce, the next UWF 6 Man Champions, one of the best wrestling families in history…..

Jarrett: “Ok, ok your three sons are in!”

Fritz: Hold on a second, as I was saying, my first team from one of the greatest wrestling families in history…. From Sweetwater, Texas…. Kendall Windham, Barry Windham and Blackjack Mulligan!

Lance Russell: Wow that will be some matchup. Ok, Fritz, you are up first this time. Who will be your second team?

Fritz: Well Jarrett here just rushed things a little, the second team will be my sons…. Mike, Kevin & Kerry.

Jerry Jarrett: I guess I will not even need to have a third team. Easy win for Tennessee here with the Stud Stable; Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden joined by Ricky Morton.

Lance Russell: Wow, I can’t imagine it getting any better than this. Jerry who be your main event team.

Jerry Jarrett: My main event team will be Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy and Jerry Lawler.

Lance: That is only 2 who will be the third?

Jerry Jarrett: Let’s take a look at the video screen.

A video starts with just a sound… “WHOOOOOOOOO” and then we see Ric Flair who is all hyped up to be coming home to Tennessee for the biggest event in wrestling!

Fritz is fuming and tries to argue that Ric Flair is from North Carolina but Jarrett reminds him the deal was for wrestlers born in the state! Fritz is huffing and puffing but goes on to name his Main Event team….. Dick “Captain Redneck” Murdoch, Stan “the Lariat” Hansen and “the American Dream” Dusty Rhodes!!

Lance reviews and hypes these matches up for the fans and reminds both Jarrett and Fritz that one of them will be out of USWA Wrestling for good after Battleground.

1. Tommy Rich, Eddie Gilbert, and Honky Tonk Wayne vs Kendall Windham, Barry Windham and Blackjack Mulligan for the UWF World 6 Man Title

2. Robert Fuller, Jimmy Golden and Ricky Morton vs Mike, Kevin and Kerry VonErich

3. Terry Gordy, Ric Flair and Jerry Lawler vs Stan Hansen, Dick Murdoch and Dusty Rhodes

UWF UNIFIED WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE:

We see Teddy Muscles, David Sammartino, Freddie Blassie and Austin Idol attack JYD during his match with Man Mountain Link to try and ensure that JYD doesn’t make it to Battleground. They really go after the knees as we here Lance telling us that is to set up the Idol’s finisher, the Vegas Leg Lock. We finally see Rhodes and Murdoch come make the save but JYD has to be helped out of the ring. Later in the show, JYD who is now on crutches, promises revenge but again he is attacked by Blassie’s gang who now break the crutches over JYD’s back. This is how the show ended.

JIMMY SNUKA- DINGO WARRIOR ANGLE:

Due to more outside interference from Akbar’s gang during Snuka’s TV match against Ron Sexton we find out the Snuka-Warrior match will take place inside a steel cage.

FABULOUS ONES VS MIDNIGHT EXPRESS ANGLE:

Jim Cornett tells us that his momma said that he must except the match against Baby Doll so that his Midnight Express gets the #1 Contenders Match against the Fabulous Ones. Cornett goes on to say that he told his momma that she said that he was never to hit a women but his mother said that was fine because Baby Doll aint no women.

This brought Baby Doll out along with the Fab Ones where she was about to smack Cornette again but this time he and the Midnight Express ran for the hills

TV TITLE ANGLE

We see Rip Rodgers win an easy match against Randy Barber where he tries to tar and feather Barber like he did Iceman two weeks ago. Iceman makes the save and throws a few haymakers before whipping Rodgers into the ropes and connecting with a Big Butt Bump which sends Rodgers through the ropes. Iceman dares him to come back into the ring but Rodgers heads for higher ground.

Iceman is all fired up about how he can’t wait to get his hands on Rodgers at Battleground.

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE ANGLE:

HACKSAW DUGGAN/ TED DIBIASE/DR. DEATH STEVE WILLIAMS

Here we get a match between the two biggest stars in the Rat Pack, Dibiase and Williams to determine who will get the title shot at Battleground. Eric Embry and Buddy Landell beg them no to wrestle as it will break apart their alliance. Dibiase and Williams are just too arrogant to give the other the upper hand and head to the ring.

We get about a minute of some serious pushing and shoving when all of a sudden, Dr. Death throws the biggest punch of the night but Dibiase ducks under the blow and simply taps Dr. Death on the chest. The big man from Oklahoma acts like he was shot by a cannon and hits the floor. Dibiase simply covers him for the made up three count and the two laugh all the way back to the interview desk.

Dr. Death says he joined the Rat Pack for one reason and that is to put Terry Gordy out of wrestling and he doesn’t care about titles. Dibiase says that the Rat Pack is the strongest alliance is all of wrestling and Duggan is just plain dumb if he thought he could break them apart.

UWF WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH:

ROAD WARRIORS VS SHEIKS

Due to Ken Patera and Crusher Blackwell missing mandatory workouts, Skandar Akbar announces that he has fired both Crusher Blackwell and Ken Patera and that they are no longer in the UWF. He announces that he has signed the most dangerous team in all of wrestling and that they will take the place of Patera and Blackwell at Battleground.

Paul Ellering comes out and protests the fact that they have a match signed with Patera and Blackwell and that since they are a no show, the Road Warriors must win by forfeit.

Cowboy Watts comes out and for once agrees with General Skandar Akbar. He says the match is scheduled against the “Sheiks” and that the contract does not specify who the sheiks really are. Therefore, Akbar’s mystery team will be given the title shot. Watts warns Akbar that there better be no funny business and that his new team better be as good as he says they are!

Akbar just smiles and is beaming with even more confidence then usually and for once, we see Precious Paul Ellering a bit concerned.

USWA TITLE MATCH: Jimmy Garvin & Precious vs Brad Armstrong

We see Garvin in a squash math here against Terry Adonis and then an interview that has Garvin calling Armstrong, Brad Puny Arms and saying that his father aint nothing and that he is less than nothing.

ALL ROADS LEAD TO BATTLEGROUND……. Show will be posted tomorrow as I will be away after that.

• 3 weeks later...

USWA WRESTLING PRESENTS

THE MAIN EVENT

7/9/1985:

WTVT

8:00-9:00

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

“Yello again everybody. Welcome to a brand new era in USWA Wrestling, a UWF Promotion. I am Lance Russell along with the young Jeff Jarrett. Not only did your father and the wrestlers from Tennessee come out victorious the other night at Battleground, we are on a brand new station, WTVT and they have dedicated Tuesdays to the UWF and have branded Tuesday’s as Tuesday Night Titians. This and every Tuesday will be wrestling filled beginning with USWA Main Event and immediately followed by Mid-South Wrestling’s Power Pro!

Lance Russell: Let’s get right to last week and Battleground where we saw Bronco Lubich come out and make the 3 count as Jerry “The King” Lawler pinned the American Dream giving Tennessee and you father the victory over Fritz and Texas.

Jeff Jarrett: Go Vols!

Lance Russell: Well Let’s bring out Jerry Lawler.

As the King comes out to a raucous ovation, he is not as pleased as you would expect.

Jerry Lawler: Lance, you know Battleground was supposed to be about going out and winning one for home and our boss. You know that I live and die Memphis and I would do anything for this place. Jerry Jarrett and I have had our differences in the past but by God, he tries to do everything right. I thought we were all on board. I mean even Nature Boy Ric Flair took one night out of his jet setting ways to come home and lend a helping hand. Battleground was not about us, it was about the future of wrestling. It was about right and wrong and even though we won, we had some real snakes who only cared about themselves.

That’s right Tommy Rich! That’s right Eddie Gilbert. That’s right Honky Tonk Man. You saw Dusty Rhodes and myself battling in the center of that ring and we gave it everything we had even though we have become good friends and then you had the nerve to smother our brother, Jimmy Golden, with an ether soaked towel!

You guys called yourself the Tennessee Volunteer Army and do you know what they do to traitors in the Army.

THEY GET EXECUTED!

And when I am done with you three, I am coming after that other snake, the UWF Unified Champion Austin Idol. Mark my words, this is a new day in the USWA and the King will rule with a mighty fist!

Lance Russell: Well that is one angry and motivated king. The rest of the USWA best beware! Let’s bring out the man that now controls all of the USWA, Jerry Jarrett.

Jerry Jarrett thanks Lance for the introduction and the King for all of his work at Battleground. He goes on to discuss all the new and exciting things that he has instore for the USWA including returning to many of the old cities from the CWA days. He lets all the wrestling fans in Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana and Missouri know that they will able to see all the great action live and in person real soon. He also announces the return of the UWF United States Tag Team Title that has been vacant for some time now. He says that this Thursday at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds in Nashville, there will be a one night 8 team tournament for the titles. The teams will include The Fabulous Ones, The Kiwi Sheepherders, Tommy Rich and Eddie Gilbert, The Samoan Connection, The Freebirds, The Jive Tones (Pez Whatley & Iceman Parsons, Norvell Austin and Master G and the team you are about to see in action now….

With the Kiniski brothers already in the ring, the fans are excited to see who comes out next.

MATCH: NICK & KELLY KINISKI

VS

RONNIE GARVIN & TERRY TAYLOR

The crowd pops as two of the more popular wrestlers in the world are coming out together. As for the match, the fan favorites dominate. Nick made a big mistake when he tried to trade blows with Rugged Ronnie Garvin in the ring. After a huge haymaker, Garvin tagged in Taylor for the airplane spin and the victory.

After the match, the duo heads over to the interview are where Lance really hypes them up. He also reminds everyone that it was these two who came out and saves JYD as he was being attacked by Idol and his henchmen, David Sammartino and Teddy Muscles.

Garvin and Taylor are in the middle of the of telling how close they are with JYD when we hear …

“Wait a minute. What just a cotton pickin minute.”

It is Jim Cornette and he is furious and wants to an immediate answer as to why the greatest tag team in the World today is not included in the U.S. National Tag Team Tournament.”

Jerry Jarrett is still at the interview area and he reminds Cornette that his team has a World Title shot this Thursday against the Road Warriors in New Orleans and can’t be in Nashville.

This does little to satisfy the little tyrant who is threatening to get his mother’s lawyers involved as to why the tournament was scheduled the same night as his title shot. He says he has a pretty good idea as to why and it is because Jarrett doesn’t like him much and knows that his team would win as there is not another team around who could last more than 5 minutes with the Midnight Express,

Uh hmmm says Ronnie Garvin and says that is a bet you are going to regret . If Mr. Jarrett here will allow sanction this match for tonight, I guarantee you that Terry and I will last 5 minutes with your team.

Cornette tries his best to back-peddle out of this one but Jerry Jarrett loves the idea and tells the fans that tonight, our main event will be the Midnight Express vs Terry Taylor and Ronnie Garvin.

When we come out of break, none other than the UWF Unified World Champions is at the interview desk with Freddie Blassie, Tommy Rich and Eddie Gilbert.

Idol has in hands a copy of the cartoon book that was recently released about Jerry Lawler, “The Crowning of a King.” Idol hypes up the book and how it makes Lawler out to be almost super human and such a great guy. Idol demands that Lawler come out and Lance Russell warns him about any funny business. Idol PROMISES to be on his best behavior and that he just wants to meet the King of Memphis.

Slowly but confidently Lawler comes out and listens to Idol patronize Lawler and all of his accomplishments.

Lance Russell: Oh come on Idol, enough is enough. Is there a point to all of this? You are making a fool out of yourself.

Jerry Lawler: Idol can’t make a fool of himself. God has already done it for him.

Idol says he wants to play a little game he calls This is Your Life and if Lawler can answer 5 questions in a row, he can have a World Title shot this week in Nashville. He also says that the game will show the people of Memphis just how great a man their King is!

Lawler accepts and tells Idol that he better watch his step or he is going to punch him right in the face. Idol ignores him and moves right to the first question.

Question #1

Idol plays an audio tape of some drunk who is talking about how great he and Lawler were together when they won the Southern Tag Title together 6 different times but Lawler always thought that he was better than me and wanted to go it alone so he dumped me one night in Louisville. The poor guy goes on to talk about what could have been and how he has been depressed for years.

Jerry Lawler: Oh come on. This is ridiculous. That was my first tag team partner Jim White. He has fallen on hard times and is off his rocker. I helped him as much as I could.

Austin Idol: It really sounds like it. I mean you left the poor guy in the gutter just to go and help yourself but you got question #1 right. Question #2: Sorry, no audio here as it would be impossible. You see the next person on our list is dead and you caused it. That’s right, he spent years carrying your bags and helping you out. He was your manager here in Memphis and he is the one who crowned you the King of Memphis and how do you repay him. You tell him you are too good to be riding in a stinking car with him. You demand he book you on first class air planes while he brings your stuff by car. Well one night in July of 1976, you won a big match for the Southern Title against Harley Race right here in Memphis and you boys wanted to celebrate but you had a match the next night in Nashville. He asked you to trade the first-class ticket in for 2 regular seats and you refused saying you were the king! What happened that night in 1976? That’s right your manager died in a car accident because you were too selfish. Who is this we are taking about?

Lance Russell: Oh come on Idol, this is all one sided….

Jerry Lawler, really quiet and obviously moved, answers Sam Bass.

Austin Idol: Bingo Lawler, two for two. Let’s go to question #3

Another man who can’t be here today because you killed him. Not with your hands but by just pure bullying. You took this little Hollywood man and harassed him all over mid-America. You broke his neck with a piledriver. I mean come on Jerry. He wasn’t even a wrestler. All he wanted was to be accepted and when you refused, he went into a deep depression and overdosed on drugs. All of this could have been avoided Lawler but no, you had to make him feel unwanted, worthless. Well who is this Lawler?

Jerry Lawler is now visible shaken answers Andy Kauffman.

Austin Idol: Well you sure are good at this game.

Next up we here Eddie Gilbert speak for the first time. “Ok, let’s go back to 1978. The night you won the Southern Heavyweight Title. The man you wrestled was a big fan favorite. When asked about this match, he says he remembers nothing. All he remembers was that he had you pretty good and came in and you caught him with an eye rake and that is all he recalls. He says someone later told him you reached into your trunks when the ref wasn’t looking and cold clocked him with a chain costing him his title and a two week stay in the hospital. Any ideas who that was.

Lawler really quiet now says, Tommy Gilbert!

Eddie Gilbert: That’s right. My father… and you wonder why I hate you. Why I don’t respect you and why I will spend the rest of my career coming after you!

Austin Idol, with Freddie Blassie seem happy with Gilbert who turns to Tommy Rich for question 5.

Tommy Rich: Lawler! I got a 3-part question for you but I will make it easy for you. Name the three wrestlers standing right in front of you now who for no good reason at all you have tried to blind by throwing a fireball right into their eyes.

Before Lawler can respond, Idol, Rich and Gilbert attack Lawler.

Blassie takes the microphone while the beating is going on.

Freddie Blassie: How dare you Lawler, you pencil neck geek. You call my wrestler, the UWF Unified World Champion, Austin Idol a snake. You are the lowest man in all of professional sports. As you can see, there are plenty of men who you have cheated around here. You are the murdering snake and came this Thursday in Nashville, Idol will tear you apart.

All of a sudden, the cavalry of JYD, Ronnie Garvin an Terry Taylor come and chase the heels away.

MATCH:

RIP RODGERS VS RANDY BARBER

A nice showcase here for the heel who calls out Pez Whatley in his post-match interview and warns him he better be careful about stickin his nose where it doesn’t belong or else he might just find himself with a little tar and feathers.

MATCH:

VLADIMIR THE RUSSIAN HAMMER

VS

MIGHT MILO

The Hammer, a huge 6’8 300 pounder ripped full of muscles, does a great job a bringing some heat on himself with that Russian flag and antagonizing the fans every step of the way to the ring. This match is pure domination and goes only about 2 minutes as the 5’4 Milo is just beaten upon. The end comes when Vlad whips Milo into the ropes and he goes the opposite way to use the ropes on the other side. He launches himself with all his momentum and catches Milo with a two-fisted sledge hammer that causes Milo to flip in midair and almost land right on his head.

Vlad, in broken English, is calling out each and every weak American.

MATCH:

JYD

VS

KEN RAPER

As much heat as the Russian Hammer brought, JYD brings the love. His dancing, chain swinging entrance to “Another One Bites the Dust” has everyone up!

Dog makes quick work of Raper with a Big Thump. At the interview desk, Dog is all fired up about Idol, Rich and Gilbert. He says that it is bad enough when you attack a man 3 on1 but when you claim he is responsible for the deaths of other human beings, you have gone too far. He lets Lawler know he has plenty of people in his corner and for him to bring the World Title back to the people of Memphis this Thursday.

MATCH

TERRY GORDY

VS

SPIKE HUBER

Huber fights well here but the fan favorite, Terry Gordy, is just too much and the end comes with a big shoulder block followed by a nasty piledriver.

At the interview desk Gordy is accepting the love of everyone for that big main event win at Battleground when all of a sudden Jimmy Garvin comes out and says that nobody wants to hear this dumb, fat hick talk and to let the United States Champion talk.

Gordy warns him to be careful because there aint nothing more than getting your behind whooped in front of your old lady. (referring to Precious)

Precious tells Garvin to hot him but Garvin think better of it. Gordy lets him know that any time he wants to come onto Bad Street he can leave that title at the end of the block.

Garvin laughs and lets Gordy know that he has already played on Bad Street and it aint all it’s cracked up to be.

Somehow cooler heads prevail but this one is just getting going.

MAIN EVENT MATCH:

THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS with JIM CORNETT

VS

TERRY TAYLOR & RONNIE GARVIN

The baby faces really take it to the Express for a few minutes here but Cornette gets involved with a trip on Garvin. Ronnie goes outside after Cornette but is met with an elbow from Eaton.

The Express throw everything at Garvin but can’t get the win. Garvin escapes trouble and tags in Taylor who comes in like a raging bull. It gets real wild here and this is when Lance Russell tells us we are just about out of time. He hypes up the huge card in Nashville with the U.S. Tag Title Tournament and Lawler vs Idol for the Unified World Title.

Lance Russell: So long from Memphis!