Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aries over Owens is a little surprising given they are both active and Owens is riding some hot feuds while Aries just got out of TNA. I mean as close as they are it is more or less a wash, but I am little surprised Owens didn't finish comfortably ahead of Aries right now.

Conjecture: Fans of indie workers prefer high-fliers, smaller guys, better athletes. Maybe? I don't know. I ranked Aries and not Owens, but that's down to physique (which probably wasn't much of a factor for a lot of people).

I don't know, maybe. I just think it is sort of a general tip of the hat to Aries who has been good to great for years now. It has been sad to see him wallow in TNA and it was sort of under the radar because people seemed generally more interested in Styles and Joe and their talents being wasted. I like both guys a lot, actually. I am not sure who would have wound up higher on my list, or if either would have made it, but I think pretty highly of both. It just surprised me a bit that Owens visible successes recently didn't skew toward him a little more and I am equally surprised that Aries existing in the black hole of entertainment that is TNA didn't skew votes away from him.

On last week's Raw when Kevin Owens was in the ring with Shane and he looked like less of an athlete than Shane, i thought to myself, "Big Fish/Small Pond that just can't translate to the big stage."

04.jpg

So Kevin Owens = Jerry Blackwell? You could have easily put a picture of Stan Frazier under the spoiler tag and it would have been a more accurate comparison.

I guess the point is that looking like an athlete doesn't really matter when it comes to pro wrestling so much as being able to stand out and make waves. Owens look is more of a positive than a negative, I'd think, even if the roster isn't quite as homogeneous as it was in 2008 or whenever. And this is generally regardless of how I think of him quality-wise, of which i'll just say i didn't vote for him (But did for Blackwell).

So Kevin Owens = Jerry Blackwell? You could have easily put a picture of Stan Frazier under the spoiler tag and it would have been a more accurate comparison.

Stan Frazier got to be a part of two awesome bits of wrestling history. First as the tag partner of DiBiase and Fuller in the Freebirds feud in Georgia, second getting betated by Jesse Ventura during his own wedding.

Those two things put him over the top of Owens for me.

(I'm kidding, *I think*)