Pro Wrestling Only

Who are the Top 10 CHOPPERS of all time?

JerryvonKramer

Kid Kash has some nasty chops. I've seen him leave handprints on guy's chests on countless occasions.

Historically speaking, Gypsy Joe is infamous for being a tremendous chopper. And he didn't just rapid-fire them like a lot of guys, he'd make you sell each individual one separately. He was also one of those guys who (like Flair reportedly also does) had both a work chop and a shoot chop, and he'd vary them depending on if he liked you or not.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really like chop wrestlers, never have. I make exceptions for Indians like Wahoo.

Big Show's is great though, because he does like two and it destroys everyone.

Much prefer European uppercuts, punches and kicks.

Big Show is the first guy I thought of. He really makes his mean something...he incapacitates his opponent in the corner, shushes the crowd, moves any garment of clothing that could soften the blow, then clobbers them with a hand that's nearly as big as his opponents entire chest. Like getting hit with a snow shovel

It would have to be Kobashi. In the latter years of his career when his athleticism had greatly diminished he still had entertaining bouts that basically revolved around chops. Fast, slow, spinning, hard, harder, different swings. He turned the chop into an art form.

My favourite chop battles were in the Flair vs Steamboat series. They added a stiffness and intensity to what were already technically excellent wrestling matches.

Isn't the throat chop a Kawada thing originally? Ishii and Kawada seem to share a lot of offense, maybe a result of both being Tenryu guys, but I don't know if I've seen Tenryu ever do it.

Someone who follows the in-ring more than me can say if WWE matches were better when Flair was in TNA and they gave the edict to everyone except Yoshi Tatsu to stop doing them.

Modern Japanese promotions would benefit massively from applying this to elbows.

While they're at it, ban guys from starting matches with the "push the guy into the ropes, clean break" spot or trading arm wringers. Maybe this is a thing only I notice, but holy shit like 95% of matches start with one of those two sequences.

Isn't the throat chop a Kawada thing originally? Ishii and Kawada seem to share a lot of offense, maybe a result of both being Tenryu guys, but I don't know if I've seen Tenryu ever do it.

Literally go watch a random Tenryu interpromotional match mate.

I believe Terry Funk was the inspiration for both Flair and Steamboat's chopping style, so that has to count for something as well.

With Flair it has GOT to be Wahoo hasn't it? Hasn't he said it is Wahoo a lot of times?

He was around when Wahoo vs. Johnny Valentine was going on. And he tagged with Greg late 70s. Flair and Greg are actually really similar workers in some ways. Someone was talking about that recently on one of the show. Was an astute point.

Literally go watch a random Tenryu interpromotional match mate.

Haven't seen any post-80s Tenryu yet :P

Haven't seen any post-80s Tenryu yet :P

pol I swear...

Fine. I'll try to build a narrative as well.

Kobashi managed to build entire 20+ minute matches around his chops when he was broken down. His chopping act was so perfected you could put him in there against anyone, a junior, an outclassed heavyweight or a rival in a GHC Heavyweight Title match and it would work. The weapon he once used to fight back against evil foreigners and those who outranked him grew with him and transformed into a means of keeping his challengers down. As he grew not only did the strenth of the chop but so did the amount of variations and ways he could use them. He could engage in epic battles like he did against Sasaki or use them as punishment (the Kesagiri variations especially helped here, as the image of Kobashi chopping down someone's neck remains entrenched in one's mind). He even managed to build a signature fanservice spot around them with him chopping his opponent a million times in the corner. Not only did his reliance on a single move not have a negative effect on his perception. he was almost solely relied on to be NOAH's top draw and did that to both great business and acclaim (his smarkshoice #5 rating was just after it). His retirement match was one of the most fascinating and emotional experiences I've ever had watching wrestling (but don't believe me-the camera zooms in on a crying kid during a Kobashi FIP section so you see it nice and clear) and 90% of it was just chops. I'd like to see Flair get as much out of a single move as Kobashi did but unfortunately post-prime Flair is categorized by people who voted him in their top ten (or in Loss' case, #1) discussing whether he was mentally ill or not.

The reason Flair could get more nuances out of his chops than Kobashi is because his character was more multi-faceted than Kobashi's and so there were different and deeper registers to go to. Being mostly a heel helps there. It is a shame GWE has coloured things to the extent where basic appreciation of a master at his craft has to be tinged with certain overtones. I look forward to the day we can just talk about wrestling again without them. I'm not sure if there is another move in wrestling as multilayered as Flair's chop, in terms of how many different things it can do in the course of a match. I'd have to think. Misawa's elbow might have more depth but probably less range or versatility.

Kobashi is #2 chopper in my view.

Should have also stated Kobashi essentially squashing Omori by chopping him a bunch in a 8 minute match is one of the most surreal things I have ever seen. That he could project so much violence through such a strike is almost perplexing. That match felt like a horror movie.

Tenryu is another great chopper who deserves a write up. I love how he would trap someone in the corner and just onload on them with the greatest strike combination in wrestling history but he was also amazing at firing back when someone would trap him in a corner. He'd just come out of nowhere with this huge onslaught and it could both continue into a big comeback or get humongous heat after a quick cut-off. There are also instances-whether it be against shooters or someone he really hates from New Japan-that he'd chop someone in the throat. But he wouldn't just throw it out there, he'd build the match and right as the sheer angst and hate reached its climax throw them as the ultimate insult. And yeah he could use them as a fiery babyface as well but whatever. Also has such a great sense of timing that he could build matches very good matches around them when he was 60 and could barely walk.

I believe Terry Funk was the inspiration for both Flair and Steamboat's chopping style, so that has to count for something as well.

With Flair it has GOT to be Wahoo hasn't it? Hasn't he said it is Wahoo a lot of times?

He was around when Wahoo vs. Johnny Valentine was going on. And he tagged with Greg late 70s. Flair and Greg are actually really similar workers in some ways. Someone was talking about that recently on one of the show. Was an astute point.

He's said that Wahoo was the inspiration. He's also said that the style of setting up the opponent with both arms hooked around the top ropes thereby fully exposing the chest was influenced by Terry Funk.

From Flair's book:

"The knife-edged chops that have become such a big part of my routine were largely inspired by Wahoo and Terry Funk."

"As much as there's a lot of Wahoo in those chops, someone else deserves credit, too: Terry Funk. When he was the NWA World Champion, I watched him wrestle Paul Jones in Raleigh one night. Jones grabbed Terry's arm, and Terry started backhand-chopping the guy. A short time later, I began doing the same thing in my matches. I also copied Terry's habit of holding on to the ropes with one hand and chopping his opponent with the other."