Pro Wrestling Only

Outlook for WWE in 2006

Loss

Will things get better or worse? Do you see any new stars emerging? Will Edge's MITB gimmick be totally forgotten or will it be honored? Will HHH regain the gold? Will the drug testing have a severe adverse effect on the roster? Will The Rock, Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar, Steve Austin or Bill Goldberg return? Will the gap between TNA and WWE close at all? Who will headline Wrestlemania? What will the big story of the year be? What do you think is the most important decision WWE will make next year? Let's discuss.

There will be some token firings around spring cleaning due to "testing" so Vince can forever justify no steroids because he fired that one guy that one time.

As far as the company. I think more cracks will appear in the armor. I think by the end of the year the WWF will admit defeat and we'll see them doing smaller arenas for Raw and Smackdown. Also don't be surprised to see no MSG shows since they can't afford to run there currently.

I think we'll see Benoit jump ship after Mania. Jericho won't be back and I wouldn't be surprised to see Edge try and get out of his contract.

I expect big things from Orton, Carlito & Masters in '06. I wouldn't be surprised to see Burchill move up to the midcard over on Smackdown, possibly even getting away from Regal. Murdoch will probably get an IC run too.

Triple H will have the belt again before the year is out. I think he'll headline 'Mania too along with Cena, Batista & Orton.

If WWE do forget about Edge's Money in the Bank contract, I think Edge will forget about WWE.

Eventually, I think the Lashley push will be aborted. Same with Boogeyman. I wouldn't be surprised to see WWE break up MNM, The Mexicools or both. They have a habit of breaking up teams or stables for no reason.

Returning stars? I have no idea. Austin, I'm sure, will be around for something before the year is out. I hope Brock comes back but we'll see what happens.

Guest Dangerous A

WWE Films.

This may begin a huge crack in the armor Mad Dog spoke of. WWE's track record of doing things outside of wrestling stinks to high heaven and this may hurt them something fierce. The preview for Kane's movie was laughed out of the building last month. Not sure about Cena's "The Marine", but if WWE penned it, I have no confidence in it. Movie industry can be a huge black hole for money and I can see WWE Films biting them in the ass hard this year in terms of revenue.

Will Edge's MITB gimmick be totally forgotten or will it be honored?

Hasn't it already been forgotten? Unless Edge uses it for the Rumble, or a SD guy wins the Rumble and Edge uses it for the RAW title match, it'll probably expire without fanfare.

It will be interesting if WWE continues these lowball offers when re-signing wrestlers and if TNA takes advantage of this (but they have their OWN problems to worry about).

Oh and WWE Films will tank and tank HARD. I'm talking XFL II here.

The Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, and Summerslam will all do huge numbers while the rest of the business indicators remain stagnant (although the secondary shows have showed slight increase due more PPV outlets all over the world)  IE the same story as the last 5 years

For what it's worth, Vengeance 2005 did superb numbers (around 450,000 buys, IIRC or so) due to a stacked card, featuring two title matches (Batista-HHH, Cena-Jericho-Christian) and another high profile match (Angle-HBK). They'll need to do something similar in order to hope for good numbers like that for a single brand PPV. This was the first single brand PPV that had two World title matches, btw.

I'm not going to say that I enjoy the current product, especially after the last PPV with the Boogeyman skit, the Tim White skit and 'Taker going over Orton in the main event. However, I am curious how people like Masters, Carlito, Burchill, Orton and a few other young guys will turn out.