Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble SD World Title Match

Strummer

- For those that didn't figure it out, the plan is for Batista vs. Mark Henry for the World Title at Royal Rumble. Yes, indeed.

Alvarez's Sunday Update

Same deal as the 04 Rumble with Holly and Lesnar. A jobber for Batista to feud with so they don't have to waste somebody "important" to do a big PPV job.

Batista/Benoit would be the better route, I think. Why, when their talent roster is probably thinner than it's been at any point since 1996-1997, they would keep some of their best talent away from main events is beyond me. Benoit/Orton as heels against Batista/Taker/Rey makes the most sense.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Benoit/Orton as heels against Batista/Taker/Rey makes the most sense.

I dunno, can you turn Benoit heel now? He's really over as a face, and it seems people don't want to boo him, especially in the wake of Eddie's death, since the fans know he was a close friend of Eddie. I understand top level heels on SD are lacking, but I think turning Benoit would really hurt his heat.

There's also the option of turning Matt Hardy, but he'd need six months of a really big push before anyone would buy him against Batista. I think Benoit/Hardy would be a nice program for both after the Best of 7 runs its course, actually. They've had good chemistry in the past.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

There's also the option of turning Matt Hardy, but he'd need six months of a really big push before anyone would buy him against Batista.

So, in other words, that's not happening. Plus, I think a heel turn would end up getting him more over as a face, which is something I don't think the WWE wants to happen, for whatever fucked up reasoning they have. I think they'd be better off moving a guy like Edge over to SD, since he's stuck behind guys like Angle & HHH on Raw. But then you'd run into possible Hardy/Edge backstage heat.

SD's in a tough spot. JBL is there, but they've already done JBL/Batista, and it wasn't that good. JBL/Benoit would certainly be better than JBL/Boogeyman, which they seem to be teasing (they can't be this dumb, can they?). JBL/Hardy, w/ Hardy going over is another feud they should seriously look at doing, but we've already established they don't want to push Hardy. They should bump Booker (and Benoit) up to ME level, but the midcard on SD is all cruisers & jobbers & tag teams, leaving the US Title in limbo. I'd seriously look at moving Helms and/or Conway over to SD to carry the US Title division, along w/ guys like Lashley, Doug Basham, Regal or Birchall, maybe Noble, and guys like Holly & Scotty & Sylvan as jobbers.

Man, Eddie's death & Kennedy's injury really messed things up.

Guest Dangerous A

While it sucks to have such a shitty matchup for the SD title at the Rumble, the Rumble match itself is the draw, so they can afford to skate on this match.

I'm concerned with the No Way Out main event. If Batista and Henry continue through to that, then they have truly lost their minds.

Guest Dangerous A

According to the latest Observer, the top 3 matches right now appear to be Cena/HHH, Batista/Orton, and Hogan/???.

I believe Taker will probrably never lose at WM. I could see Angle/Taker at WM with Angle trying to snap the Deadman's WM unbeaten streak. I also like the fact that Angle and Taker have had several excellent matches.

WM to me sort of looks like...

Cena/HHH

Batista/Orton

Hogan/I'll go with Big Show

Angle/Taker

Sort of off topic, I heard an excellent idea WWE could use. Immediately after the Cena/HHH match, Edge cashes in his MITB title shot, which expires at WM. He defeats whoever wins Cean/HHH and boom, you've got 3 ways of potential matches. Sure it's a hotshot, but it also creates a star in Edge if done right.

I'm sure that's been considered, but I wonder if Edge would get even more X-Pac heat than he already seems to have, since he can't seem to do a good interview to save his life, and HHH and Cena would murder him on the mic. Still, MITB has had a year of hype, it needs to be resolved.

I predict Hogan ends up against Big Show if they can't find a bigger star. And I have no idea what they have planned for Michaels, Misterio, Benoit, Benjamin and JBL. I'm also curious if RVD will be 100% in time to get a match on the show. If he does, they'll probably waste him against Carlito, although he really needs to be pushed as a top guy when he returns.

Guest Dangerous A

Danergous A, any news from Meltzer about a Shawn/Vince match at Mania?

All that was mentioned was that the fantasy booking would be Shawn vs Vince with Bret as special referee. That is a pipe dream as Bret has no desire to involve himself in current storylines.

Both Meltzer and Keller have said that the next few weeks will tell whether Shawn vs Vince is still on or not.

I'm sure that's been considered, but I wonder if Edge would get even more X-Pac heat than he already seems to have, since he can't seem to do a good interview to save his life, and HHH and Cena would murder him on the mic. Still, MITB has had a year of hype, it needs to be resolved.

I'd like to expand on this. Edge comes off as *so* un-natural on the mic. I never get the impression he believes what he is saying. It's not necessarily what he's saying, it's how he says it. His words seem so forced and he has this *wink wink* *nudge nudge* "I'm cutting a wrestling promo" look on his face. And it's not like he's not getting good material to work with. The whole "screwed" storyline last year, MITB, the Hardy feud, being allowed to shoot on Flair are all angles that should lead to some great promo work. I don't think I've enjoyed one interview he has given.

Guest Some Guy

Now that I think of it. In HBK's book he mentions that his original plan for his return was to have his return match st Summerslam with Vince. The angle would have been that Vince had run so many wrestlers into the ground (Austin, HBK, etc...) and that HBK was coming back for revenge. HHH then took the spot because he wanted it. So, I guess that Shawn wants the match (and the pay off no doubt).

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

I think Edge/HHH/Cena would work, but with Edge/HHH *before* the WM schtick with the MitB. Have Edge get around to "shooting" on HHH and his relationship with Steph and how HHH can do whatever he wants, blah blah blah. Preferably, if HHH were to win the Rumble, have Edge say this on the RAW after it talking about "what a coincidence" it is for HHH to win the Rumble again.

Have Joey Styles say "HHH busted his ass for what he got, love him or hate him, you have to respect his accomplishments in the WWE" or whatever crap. Have HHH come out and say something typical of HHH, maybe something about Edge getting a push cause he fucked Matt Hardys girlfriend, and how Edge can't do anything better than HHH because at least HHH fucked someone with enough power to get him title shots. Have Edge insert himself into the WM main event, because it's his time for glory, but then have Vince or someone come out and say the match was already made and there's a grandfather clause that overrides the MitB stip (to this Edge would say, "Grandfather clause? I guess that would be you Vince, if HHH could ever get it up enough to get Steph pregnant" or some sleaze... I doubt manly HHH would ever OK that though). So Edge challenges HHH for the #1 contendership, loses, and then shows up after the WM match and cashes in his shot and steals the title.

Has the money in the bank stip even been mentioned on WWE TV? It does not seem like something that the current writing staff would even remember to capitalize on.

As for the Vince-HBK matchup, almost all of Vince's matches have received praise for being better than expected with the exception of the HHH feud which was panned. I expect that the entire feud will be panned leading up until Mania and then the next day, everyone will talk about how he match was better than it had any right to be.

Guest Dangerous A

Shawn and Vince will pull off a good, well planned spotfest brawl for sure. If there is any guy on the Raw roster besides Kurt who can pull a good match out of Vince, it's Shawn.

However, they need to take the focus off of Bret/Montreal because that incident set a precedent. You kind of have to live in the wrestling bubble to really get into it as much as they'd like you to because if Vince really wanted to, he'd either a) fire Shawn or B) anytime Vince got offense in, he could just tell the ref to "ring the fucking bell". Reason B is the reason they need to make this more about Shawn and Vince and less about Suvivor Series 97.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

But would anyone believe that McMahon and Michaels have an issue? If they had Shawn play the Jesus card and had McMahon call Shawns religious beliefs fake, or something, then there'd be heat on it.

Shawn: Vince, I see what you're trying to do. You're trying to get me to get angry, lose my cool, and hit you. Maybe the old Shawn would have done it, but I've learned to turn the other cheek.

Vince: Oh cut the crap. "The Old Shawn"? The old Shawn is still infront of me. The old Shawn was selfish and arrogant and he made a living lying to people and that's what you're doing now.

Shawn: Don't go there, Vince.

Vince: You wear your cross, you say your prayers, you go to church, but I know the real Shawn, and I know that deep down inside you couldn't give a shit about anything like that. You're a fraud, you're a fake, and you're just using this whole relgious thing to make yourself look good.

*Shawn corks Vince, realizes what he has done, and leaves the room*

Vince: I told you! You're still the Shawn of old. I knew you would hit me! I knew it!

And then have Shawn go on the next week and talk about how Christians are not Christ, and how everyone has faults and that the goal is to try to be the best Christian they can, but no one can be perfect, and how even though he was born-again, you can't change the past, and sometimes our past comes back to haunt us. He can say he always knew he worked for a man who was immoral, a sinner, etc. and that the wrestling business was tainted. Cite Eddie as a man who tried to turn his life around through Christ but in the end it wasn't enough. Shawn had tried to set an example for the WWE locker room through his actions and his faith, but now he realizes that with Vince McMahon in charge, the sin will never go away. So he wants to face McMahon at the biggest show of the year - Wrestlemania - and he'll show McMahon that the blood of Christ does flow through his viens and that it is more powerful than the greed, lust, envy, that has fueled Vince his entire career (and once fueled Shawns).

The subtext would be if Shawn is just playing this all up so he can get McMahon in the ring and beat on him with an altruistic goal as an excuse, rather than the personal vendetta that it really is. Michaels' intentions are questioned throughout the feud by the heel commentators. Then you flood the feud with religious/christian imagery and iconography.