Pro Wrestling Only

Initial Draft Discussion

LowBlowPodcast

See, picking Austin is like taking a player in a draft a little high. You know that he's a sure thing, but not polished yet. Within a little while, he's the superstar you know he was going to be. This is suppose to be about building and what better building block there is on the board then Austin?

True, but that's missing the point.

In 1995, Austin was not this blue chip future star. He was a basic mechanic. Picking Austin this high would be like doing a draft now and picking Sheamus in the first round. Sheamus actually would be a better pick, due to actually having years on top.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Slightly injury prone journeyman whose impending hair loss means that he can no longer portray the gimmick he's had for most of his career." would be a decent way to describe him, no?

Yeah, Austin really wasn't a hot commodity in late 1995. It was the ECW run in October/November that made people think he may be worth something.

Trying to stay as realistic as possible. I know that Antonio Inoki & Hashimoto had some issues together creatively so I'm trying to stick as possible with the core guys that stuck around as much as possible.

Love it.

I think I know where Hashimoto is going then.

I will defend the Austin pick a bit here. If you look at the Observers from 1995, Meltzer clearly thinks there's a top of the card guy there, even if 1995 Vince did not.

Vince and Bischoff both thought nothing of him. Heyman thought something of him, but probably more out of friendship.

Still, that seems like a pick that would only be made with hindsight.

That said, if that is the only ridiculous pick we are good (outside of saving Sid over Bret)

Made a stretch pick... perhaps too early but you can't argue with his workrate...

Essentially AJPW is actually going to focus on Junior Heavyweights, which means the FMW Junior Heavyweight Title will remain vacant as FMW is not going to have a separate Juniors division. Too much competition with M-Pro, NJPW, and AJPW joining in.

Made a stretch pick... perhaps too early but you can't argue with his workrate...

It's kind of a weird one in that he would have definitely been considered a Jr. type wrestler in '95 and the rest of your roster would all be considered hard-hitting heavyweights... but Eddie vs. Misawa/Black Tiger vs. TM2 is totally one of those Fire Pro match-ups that I play all the time. There are quite a few interesting things you could do with him in AJPW.

But, I'd still rather not have seen it go that way. It is gonna flat out suck for me if almost everyone else in Japan goes all-in on Jr. Heavyweights, since M-Pro's roster needs to be stocked with smaller faster guys.

I think he is a corner stone guy to build from. If you watch him on Nitro, he is the best worker on television and that was with the WCW limitations. I think that can transition here and find some guys to put around him and he could be special.

Are you doing a Junior division or NOT?????????????

I think he is a corner stone guy to build from. If you watch him on Nitro, he is the best worker on television and that was with the WCW limitations. I think that can transition here and find some guys to put around him and he could be special.

Yeah I have a junior title with Dan Kroffat. I just have to get the right pieces... AJPW had a junior title so I plan to keep up with that.

Yeah I have a junior title with Dan Kroffat. I just have to get the right pieces... AJPW had a junior title so I plan to keep up with that.

Cool. Yeah, they had the title but didn't really do anything with it. Bringing in Eddie shows you want to try, which is awesome. Just means I probably will not worry about it, too many people using juniors.

See, picking Austin is like taking a player in a draft a little high. You know that he's a sure thing, but not polished yet. Within a little while, he's the superstar you know he was going to be. This is suppose to be about building and what better building block there is on the board then Austin?

In 1995, Austin was not this blue chip future star. He was a basic mechanic. Picking Austin this high would be like doing a draft now and picking Sheamus in the first round. Sheamus actually would be a better pick, due to actually having years on top.

He was more then a basic wrestler. His run with Pillman and his singles work was awesome. He could really go in the ring. He feel out of favor with the decision makers in WCW and his push stopped.

He was more then a basic wrestler. His run with Pillman and his singles work was awesome. He could really go in the ring. He feel out of favor with the decision makers in WCW and his push stopped.

Still don't see how he differs from Sheamus today at that point. Without using his ECW run and future WWF runs it's really a huge stretch.

Remember he was let go and WWF didn't even attempt to pick him up for months. That's how big of a commodity he was.

Either way, we are all allowed a few ridiculous things, as long as it's not all ridiculous. Steiners pick up makes complete sense. Can't wait for Sid and Taker vs Steiners feud!