Pro Wrestling Only

The Invaders vs. Chicky Starr & Ron Starr (3/29/86)

El Boricua

Beginning shine by Invaders is great fun. As good as anything you’ll see from babyface teams of this time. The Starr’s are awesome bases for all of the Invader’s flashy stuff. When the Starr’s cut them off and work over Invader III, the cheating is really good. Hot tag to Invader I is great too. Man, I really want this entire commercial tape. All of these matches have been fun so far with this the best one yet and Hugo & Jaggers continue to be on fire. Putting over the psychology of the masks, calling the match, having enjoyable ridiculous banter in the vein of Jesse Ventura & Gorilla Monsoon. Hugo might be the best commentator outside of Lance Russell and Dave Brown. Cool surprise.

• 3 weeks later...
The Invaders have been really good on the set so far, but this is the first chance to see them work a tag together that didn't involve barbed wire and buckets of blood. They're pretty great at it. All of the early babyface control stuff was good, especially the way they'd work the arm and make quick tags, everything looking super smooth and crisp. There's also the running story of Invader I having beef with Chicky Starr and Chicky wanting no part of him. Invader III plays face in peril here. In the awesome match with Embry he was mostly about the big offence, but he was strong fighting from the bottom in this. I don't really have a ton to say about this specifically since I watched it a couple nights ago, but you had a good babyface team against a good heel team and it resulted it a very good tag match. That's about the bare bones of it.

This was an awesome southern tag and a great change of pace from the blood that's become PR's calling card. The Invaders are a tremendous babyface team and work quick tags so well. I'm a huge fan of teams rapidly tagging in & out for a strategic edge, and we got that here in spades. Heat on Invader 3 builds to #1's hot tag and then he finds himself getting worked over by the Starrs before a finish that protects everyone and serves no one.

Add 6-8 minutes and a decent finish it and you've got a great match here. As it is stood out in a great way on the set.

***1/2

• 1 year later...

Invader 1 practically begging Chicky Starr to tag in is incredible. The heat on 3 was damn good, Invader 1's hot tag was definitely great. The ending, less that brain buster lifting DDT, was meh. I also really liked Invader 3's reversal second rope splash. Most of the time when guys do that it takes so long it looks bad, but this one was really well done.