Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon vs. TNT (11/15/86)

El Boricua

I’ve never seen Savio as TNT so I’m excited for this. I didn’t realize how long he’d been wrestling. How far into his career was he by this point? This starts off fast with a slugfest. Crowd is super hot for this as Colon has the early advantage with headbutts leading to a backdrop. TNT manages to cut him off though with throat thrusts, a leg drop, and a superkick. Very throat based offense early on by TNT. TNT is pretty damn fun getting his ass kicked and bumping all over the place for Carlos. I LOVE Carlos’ attempts to reverse the cobra clutch. They kinda fuck up the 3rd attempt but they took a risk on that one. But that’s what I liked about them. They weren’t super clean reversal attempts. El Profe interferes after a refbump and nails Colon with a briefcase and back in to the cobra clutch. The ref wakes up long enough to see Colon passed out in the Clutch and calls for the bell. Super fun, if very short, match. If nothing else I’m excited to see more from TNT.

• 1 month later...

So this is not Hansen/Colon. TNT throws some nice, quick strikes early. The focus then becomes putting over TNT's Cobra Clutch, which Colon does very effectively by trying to continually kick off the the corner to break but is unable to do so. The ref eventually stops it but it appears he may have given Colon a DQ win for interference. Would've preferred a clean finish but this was solid. The foaming at the mouth afterwards was unnecessary.

**3/4

This probably wasn't done any favours coming after some absolute corkers on the disc. It's hard to top Invader/Perez or Colon/Hansen, you know? That said, this wasn't trying to be either of those; it was a short TV match and if nothing else a fun look at TNT, the future Savio Vega. He was really game in this, threw some nice uppercuts to the throat and leveled Colon a couple times with big thrust kicks. He headbutts Colon at one point and I'm wondering if Colon has been doing a Fujiwara-ish hard head gimmick this whole time where it's pointless trying to headbutt him, because he just stares at TNT like he's a dummy before throwing a headbutt of his own. They're treating TNT's cobra clutch as quite the death kill here and it leads to the grizzly post-match visual of Colon lying KO'd and foaming at the mouth, which coincidentally is another Fujiwaraism.

• 1 year later...