Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon & Huracan Castillo Sr. vs. Stan Hansen & Chicky Starr (12/21/86)

El Boricua

Wild brawl to start with Colon & Hansen going right at each other and Huracan Castillo Jr and Chicky pairing off. One thing to note because I haven’t really said it much if at all in these reviews. This is a fucking ENORMOUS crowd they’re working in front of. PR comes across as hot as any wrestling company in the 80s. Colon gets isolated early when this settles down. Hansen works him over before Chicky comes in. Colon starts to make a comeback so Starr lowblows him and tags out to Hansen. Hansen works him over for a bit before tagging back out. This is all perfectly solid Colon in peril but not really earth shattering stuff. Colon gets his pay off by kicking Starr in the balls twice before tagging out to Castillo. Everyone ends up in the ring brawling. Chicky gets busted open as Hansen & Colon spill to the outside. Colon is ALL over Hansen outside the ring busting him open, kicking him in the balls etc. Hansen manages to fight back and ties Colon in the tree of woe so the heels can double team Castillo. But Colon gets free eventually and makes his big Colon comeback. But Hansen manages to get his bullrope and he ends up tying colon up by the neck and hanging him over the top rope. Fuck! This was another good but not really earth shattering match. But it does set up the next match.

• 1 month later...

This is a 4 way brawl most of the way, with with Colon/Hansen and Castillo/Chicky paired off pretty rigidly throughout, regardless of positioning. Quick, hot sprint with the blood, low blows and brawling you'd expect, all driven by Hansen's energey and pace. Colon comeback eventually leads to the bullrope coming into play and Hansen hanging & choking him to set up the next match in the feud.

***1/4

How about Stan Hansen and Chicky Starr for a dream team you never dared dream of. Like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid if the Sundance Kid was a cheapshotting little weasel bastard (I mean, he might've been). Chicky was a really fun toady in this, relying on Hansen to bail him out at a couple points but never being above fouling someone when Hansen wasn't on hand to offer immediate assistance. It led to a great payback spot later when Colon double punted him in the balls, and really, nowhere else does revenge ball shots like Puerto Rico. Huracan Castillo Jr. is the guy I thought was the commissioner or something from the last Hansen match where Stan kicked the shit out of him. I don't know whether he actually is the commissioner or not, but I certainly never recognised him before as the same guy from Los Boricuas. He mostly works the apron, but towards the end he gets into it with Chicky and bites him in the forehead a bunch. I loved Colon's comeback in this, untangling himself from the tree of woe position and cartwheeling over to save Castillo from a Hansen/Chicky mauling. Hansen wrapping the bullrope around Colon's neck and hanging him over the top rope was pretty wild as well, and it all goes towards setting us up for the bullrope match.

• 1 year later...

He isn't the same guy, the guy in los Boricuas was actually his son, same name but Jr. Loved this, but not as much as the rest of the feud. Chicky bleeds like he was Invader 1 (some kind of student-teacher thing I guess), as well as takes this weird spot I've never seen before from Castillo. Chicky is laying across the bottom turnbuckles in the corner and Castillo is standing on him! Stan hanging Colon was pretty sick in it's own right, with Invader 1 leading the charge to save Colon.