Pro Wrestling Only

Invader I vs. Jason the Terrible (1/17/87)

El Boricua

I’m excited for all Invader matches at this point. This is by far the smallest crowd we’ve seen so far. But Invader works no less hard at the start taking control of Jason by going right after the big man. Invader keeps the big man grounded doing some fun babyface armwork. This is pretty cool actually early on because Invader is working more like tag match Invader where he’s working clean spots of the flashy rope running, arm worky, roll upy, variety and its all really good but the things you’ve come to love about Invader are his brawling and selling. This is cool because it helps paint a picture of Invader as a more complete worker. Invader is usually such a big worker but this is a nice “small” match early on. Invader is good early on in control and I dig it, but I’m really just waiting for Jason to go on offense so Invader can sell and make comebacks. He eventually does take over but it is really chinlocky and they really do just sit around in it. Invader eventually makes a comeback starting with a dropkick that sends Jason outside. Invader meets him with an awesome flurry of punches when he gets back in the ring. A lot of Invader’s hope spots in this are things like drop kicks and sunset flips instead of PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH, which I actually really appreciate. This is pretty fun match that I want to rewatch not in the context of this freaking disc because this has been as good a disc as there is on 80s sets with classic after classic. But this is a lot of fun and its cool to see Invader work this way after showing himself to be the king of the brawls. We still get awesome punching and good selling. But this is definitely different from the classic Invader matches from earlier.

• 1 month later...
Like the first Colon/TNT match, this was saddled with the unenviable task of trying to follow Colon/Hansen. This is also Invader working a straight wrestling match with armbars, arm wringers and standard babyface hope spots, which isn't quite the same as him bleeding and brawling and throwing guys down stairwells. It's not really fair to criticise something for not being what you wanted it to be, but it is what it is. Still, Invader is Invader and I'll take what I can get. I'm not sure who Jason actually is under the mask, but he moves okay for a big dude even if he's not the most compelling in control. His big cross body looked a bit Bray Wyatt-ish, at least. Chicky Starr running around ringside being a nuisance reminds me that we've got an Invader I/Chicky match coming up on the next disc. I bet it's good.

• 1 year later...

I also liked seeing Invader work a more standard babyface style. It's good to know he can do that and still be entertaining. But it really is not his strong suit and he needs a better opponent than Jason the Terrible to make it a really good match. Then again, they made Kamala a monster using Invader 1 in a far, far more interesting way.