Pro Wrestling Only

WWE New Years "Resolution" PPV

Coffey

Yes, I actually care because I'm a mark for the Elimination Chamber gimmick and I'm holding out hope that we might get a new champion. Not because I don't think Cena is a good champion, he does at least get reactions, just because I'm a greedy fan and personally I want a new champ. This is also a reminder thread because a lot of people seem to forget about PPV's these days.

Also, thread title: "idiot"

Elimination Chamber Match for the WWE Championship

Posted Image

Click here for video package.

In his last act as RAW General Manager, Eric Bischoff decided that the WWE Championship would be up for grabs inside the Elimination Chamber. And on the Dec. 12 edition of RAW, interim GM Mr. McMahon announced five qualifying matches to see who would join John Cena inside the Chamber on Jan. 8.

In the first qualifying match, Kurt Angle earned himself another shot at the gold by defeating Ric Flair. Carlito then defeated Shelton Benjamin and Chris Masters defeated Viscera to earn the third and fourth slots.

In the next qualifying match, Triple H cost Big Show a spot in the Chamber. As Show had Shawn Michaels beaten, Triple H intervened, nailing HBK with a chair to get Show disqualified. However, Big Show would get his revenge, helping tag team partner Kane deliver a double chokeslam to defeat Triple H and earn the final slot.

On the Dec. 26, edition of RAW, all the Elimination Chamber participants took part in "Beat the Clock" Matches for the right to enter the Elimination Chamber last.

By the end of the night, Kane had established the best time -- an impressive 28-second victory over both members of The Heart Throbs. With the win, Kane will have the important advantage of entering the Chamber last ? thereby being the freshest and healthiest Superstar in the battle for the WWE Championship. John Cena has overcome difficult odds time and again during his eight-month reign. Will he step up again, or will these odds prove insurmountable inside the demonic structure known to tear up the bodies of its participants?

One week ater beating the clock, Mr. McMahon put Kane in a match with Shawn Michaels. But after a confrontation with HBK the week before, Mr. McMahon banned Sweet Chin Music in the match. The Chairman stayed at ringside during the match and distracted HBK, allowing Kane to pick up another win. Following the loss, Mr. McMahon decided that Michaels will enter the Elimination Chamber first.

Later in the evening John Cena faced Kurt Angle in a First Blood Match. Thanks to some interference from Daivari, Angel was able to bust Cena open thanks to a steel chair. But Cena was able to shake off the blood and lock Angle in the STFU. Chris Masters and Carlito then ran to the ring and attacked Cena. Angle recovered, but Masters then hooked him in the Master Lock. It wasn't long before HBK and Kane came down as well to join the fray. HBK was the last man standing until Cena miraculously came back and hit an FU, leaving all six Elimination Chamber competitors laying in the ring. Will this be the kind of carnage that will be seen at New Year's Revolution?

Only Kane and Michaels have competed inside the Elimination Chamber before. Will that prior experience propel them to victory, or will Carlito or Masters climb the ladder and win their first WWE Championship? Will Angle finally get his hands on the gold again, or will The Champ overcome all the odds once again to walk out of New Year?s Revolution with his gold?

The Big Show Vs. Triple H

Posted Image

Big Show has watched as the Cerebral Assassin has done some vile things in WWE. When Triple H mutilated Ric Flair with a sledgehammer a few months ago, Big Show was disgusted and confronted ?The Game,? saying that one day, ?Your time will come.?

That day may come at New Year?s Revolution on Jan. 8.

On RAW, Big Show and Triple H officially signed their contract to meet at the pay-per-view. And Big Show wasn?t in a giving mood the day after Christmas because Triple H had recently tried to incapacitate World Tag Team Championship partner Kane. But the largest athlete in the world didn?t expect to be introduced to Triple H?s sledgehammer as part of a package deal. When the contract signing got physical, Triple H pulled out his weapon of choice from under the table ? where he had taped the sledge for just such a circumstance. The Game then struck with the sledgehammer, shattering Big Show?s hand in attempt to make himself chokeslam-proof at the pay-per-view.

Triple H's plan may have backfired, though. The Game came to the ring the following week to brag about how he outsmarted Big Show, only to be interupted by the giant. Big Show strode to the ring sporting a mammoth cast on his broken right hand. Big Show stalked Triple H around the ring, swinging his hammer-like hand, destorying monitors, chairs and anything else that The Game put in his way. Triple H managed to escape, but did the Cerebral Assassin give Big Show a weapon instead of a handicap?

Will Big Show get his revenge on the big stage, or will Triple H chop down another giant?

Intercontinental Champion Ric Flair vs. Edge

Posted Image

Ever since Ric Flair was allegedly involved in a ?road rage? incident, Edge has been relentless in his criticism. Using his new interview segment, ?The Cutting Edge,? as a forum to viciously mock Flair at every turn and in every way, Edge further and further infuriated the Intercontinental Champion.

Finally, during the Dec. 26, edition of RAW, Flair stormed to the ring. Unable to verbally dispute Edge?s claims because of a legal gag order, Flair instead answered with his fists, sending Edge and Lita retreating from the ring area.

Seeing what had transpired, Mr. McMahon ordered an Intercontinental Championship Match at New Year?s Revolution between champion Ric Flair and Edge.

One week later Edge addressed the crowd claiming to have amateur footage of Flair's alleged road rage incident. But it turned out to be a spoof. The video showed Edge, dressed up as Flair (robe and all), driving on the highway and attacking the driver of another car. Flair could only take so much and attacked Edge and Lita. He went for the figure four leglock on Edge, but Lita stopped him. Edge ran up the ramp, so Flair hooked Lita in the figure four leglock instead.

Will Edge be able to avoid the figure four leglock Sunday as well?

Bra & Panties Gauntlet Match

Posted Image

Mr. McMahon said that everything he does in 2006 will be for his own enjoyment and amusement. So with that, it?s no wonder that the Chairman of WWE made the first-ever Bra & Panties Gauntlet Match for New Year?s Revolution.

A confrontation between several of the Divas began earlier in the evening on RAW. Upset that she was injured at the hands of Carlito the week before, Victoria took out her frustrations on Maria. Maria wasn?t even aware she had a match with Victoria, but the former Women?s Champion made things even worse for RAW?s perkiest backstage interviewer when she attacked her before the bell. Maria was able to catch the cocky Victoria off guard, though, and picked up the shocking win.

Victoria, along with Torrie and Candice, viciously triple-teamed the normally bubbly Maria after the match. Ashley ran in to try and make the save, but Torrie and Candice caught her with a double DDT. It was after this attack that Mr. McMahon made the match. Will Ashley and Maria be able to get revenge at New Year?s Revolution?

Trish Stratus vs. Mickie James for the Women's Championship

Posted Image

At New Year's Revolution, Mickie James gets the chance of a lifetime when she faces her idol, Trish Stratus, for the WWE Women's Championship.

Since debuting on RAW in the fall, Mickie has proven to be Trish's biggest fan, cheering her idol to victory and helping the Women's Champion whenever she needed it. On the Dec. 12 edition of RAW, Mickie defeated Victoria to become the No. 1 Contender, and now must defeat the one woman she idolizes to win the big one.

In recent weeks, Trish has seemed less and less interested in Mickie's friendship. On a WWE.com Unlimited segment before Mickie became No. 1 Contender, Trish seemed ready to tell her that they weren't as close as Mickie thought. However, Trish felt bad after Mickie told a story about her late grandfather, and watched with the RAW announce team as Mickie won the right to be her next challenger.

Over the next couple of weeks, Mickie has gotten into Trish's head. But only Mickie knows if it has been intentional or not. On the RAW after Christmas, Mickie was talking to Trish who conveniently was standing under some mistletoe. Mickie shocked the Women's Champion when she gave her a big kiss. Trish left the locker room flustered, while Mickie tried to explain her actions. The following week, Mickie claimed that Trish hadn't returned her phone calls, so she cornered her in the shower. When handing Trish her towel, Mickie complimented Trish on her breasts. Mickie had gotten in Trish's head once again.

Will Trish be able to clear her head and focus on defending the Women's Championship?

Gregory Helms vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler

Gregory Helms has been in an awfully foul mood for quite some time now, and now he?s taking it out on Jerry ?The King? Lawler. On WWE.com Unlimited Helms accused Lawler of conspiring to hold him down. He said that Lawler is making a joke of his career, but the Superstar formerly known as The Hurricane, doesn?t think it?s very funny.

The following week on RAW, Helms confronted Lawler face to face. Helms said that if there was one person who should be made fun for being a joke, then it?s The King. Lawler told Helms that at least when he was The Hurricane he was half-entertaining. But now, he said that he?s not even a tropical depression; he?s just a guy who sucks. Helms couldn?t take any more and slapped Lawler across the face. Although he?s primarily a color commentator for RAW now, Lawler?s wrestling instincts kicked in as he slugged Helms, causing him to retreat. As Helms headed up the ramp, Lawler challenged Helms to a match at New Year?s Revolution.

The time for talking is over. Helms will have a chance to back up his words Sunday against Jerry ?The King? Lawler at New Year?s Revolution.

You'll note that Helms/Lawler doesn't have a picture. That pretty much shows what WWE thinks of that match. Of course, it was just a throw together match at the last second and there's probably zero interest in that match. It's not like the pictures are real flattering for ANYONE anyway. Jeez.

A lot of people are liking the Trish/Mickie storyline including the guys from the LAW. On the last episode of LAW they actually said it was the match that they were most looking forward to on the PPV.

This thread is for predictions and talk about the Pay-Per-View.

Here's a quick copy/paste of the line-up for prediction purposes:

Elimination Chamber

HHH/Show

Edge/Flair

Trish/Mickie

Bra & Panties

Helms/Lawler

I wouldn't be surprised if another match was randomly thrown onto the PPV as well. Maybe something with Shelton & his mama or possibly Trevor Murdoch.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SPOILERS FROM DA MELTZ:

Welcome to our live coverage of tonight's New Year's Revolution PPV from the Pepsi Center in Albany, New York.

We're looking for your thoughts on tonight's show, so please leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match to [email protected].

Chavo Guerrero beat Snitsky with a frog splash in the Heat match.

Kurt Angle did a funny promo saying he wanted Iraq to win the War, that his favorite country is France, that he doesn't like black people and would like to put the ankle lock on Jesus Christ. He said he could say all that and the people will still cheer him tonight. And it sounded like they were cheering him.

Ric Flair beat Edge to keep the IC title via DQ. Flair had Lita in the figure four when Edge hit Flair twice with the briefcase for the DQ. Edge hit him a third time with the briefcase and Flair bled heavily. Short match which didn't amount to much. Edge may have not have been ready to return. They also blew off the feud as Edge said he wasn't interested in wrestling Flair anymore.

Trish Stratus pinned Micki James with the chick kick. They did nothing to advance the angle. Just did a match and a finish. Decent.

Jerry Lawler (who got no pop coming out, which isn't a good sign) vs. Gregory Helms is up now. Helms crotched himself on the top rope and Lawler got the pin with a fist drop. Lawler looked heavy. Typical Lawler good psychology. Nobody was into the feud. Too short a build to make this sort of a thing work. Crowd cheered Lawler for winning but didn't react to the match.

We did have some Micki James-Stratus follow-up. James was coming on to her in the interview area.

Mrs. Benjamin is in catering eating away. And Viscera has already shown up. Wow, I expected them to wait at least three weeks for this. She blew him off. I have a feeling we're getting Shelton vs. Viscera. Viscera is now eating at catering.

HHH vs. Big Show is up next.

HHH vs. Big Show is up next. Long, plodding match without much heat. After a ref bump, Show tried a left handled choke slam and HHH hit Show with the sledge hammer and used a half-ass pedigree for the pin. They told a story working on Show's right hand, taking off the cast and hitting it with a chair. Show blew up bad halfway into the match and was having trouble just moving from that point on. Fans ended up turning on Show and cheering HHH by the end, which wasn't the idea.

With just a bra & panties match and possibly Benjamin vs. Viscera, the elimination chamber is going to have to take a career performannce by some guys to turn this around.

Carlito and Masters said they are going to work together to win the chamber.

Guess what, we've got Benjamin vs. Viscera coming.

Carlito and Masters said they are going to work together to win the chamber.

Guess what, we've got Benjamin vs. Viscera coming. This match died worse than any PPV match since Stevie Richards and Tyson Tomko in 2004. Mama hit Viscera with her purse twice and Benjamin won with a spin kick. Benjamin worked as the heel but I don't think anyone even caught that. Fans cheered him very lightly when he won, probably more just happy this was over. I don't care if Edge has a torn pec, think about the time management of giving these guys more time than Flair and Edge?

At this point, we need are pretty close to needing Angle-Michaels at Wrestlemania to even get a thumbs in the middle. This show is dying.

This didn't help. Ashley won. Candice vs. Maria saw Maria win. Then Torrie Wilson came out and Maria stripped her. Then Victoria came out and stripped Maria. Maria got booed for wearing conservative panties. Mae Young & Moolah came out. It got weird to say the least. Mae stripped. Seriously, they were turning men Gay by the hundreds. Moolah held Victoria so Mae tried to take Victoria's top off. Somehow this got screwed up as Victoria had two bras on so one was supposed to come off, but they got caught. What a mess. Anyway, finally Moolah and Mae just left. Ashley came in, took off Victoria's shorts in seconds and won. Ashley then stripped.

I hope Shawn went to church this morning because he's going to need divine intervention to make this a good show. They booed Cena out of the place. He sure came out with an "I'm losing the title face." We'll see if he's a great actor or not in a half hour but he wasn't playing to the crowd at all. Angle even played face the most of anyone so far. Obviously the story of the match is Shawn, starting first and probably going until the end.

What makes you say that? Helms 2001 and Lawler 85 could have the best match. Has Jerry Lawler had a good match since becoming an announcer?

Plenty, according to almost everyone who's seen a Jerry Lawler match since he became an announcer, if you count his indy work. Lawler/Helms did indeed look like the best match on the show on paper coming into this.

What makes you say that? Helms 2001 and Lawler 85 could have the best match. Has Jerry Lawler had a good match since becoming an announcer?

Plenty, according to almost everyone who's seen a Jerry Lawler match since he became an announcer, if you count his indy work. Lawler/Helms did indeed look like the best match on the show on paper coming into this.
PLease enlighten me to any good Jerry Lawler WWF match.

As for his indy work, any help there would be appreciated also.

I can't.

Look around. I'm not one of those people, but guys like Bix and Phil Schneider and Tom K are constantly praising his indy work as still being really strong. Lawler was never the type of guy who based his act around a bunch of athletic highspots or anything, so it's not like age is going to affect him as a performer in the same way it would someone else.

I considered Lawler/Helms the best match on paper because it's the only match on the show that doesn't feature anyone who sucks these days.

Heh, I thought the best match on paper was Trish Stratus Vs. Mickie James.

Also, Angle was the first man eliminated.

Seems like Angle going out first was classic WWE style "fuck you" booking. Creative seems mad that they can't get the crowd to boo Angle, and they know the crowd wants Angle to win, so they say "fuck you" to their paying customers and job out the guy they want to win first.

Now the crowd's probably going to shit on whoever wins because it's not who they wanted to see.

I can't.

Look around. I'm not one of those people, but guys like Bix and Phil Schneider and Tom K are constantly praising his indy work as still being really strong. Lawler was never the type of guy who based his act around a bunch of athletic highspots or anything, so it's not like age is going to affect him as a performer in the same way it would someone else.

I considered Lawler/Helms the best match on paper because it's the only match on the show that doesn't feature anyone who sucks these days.

That kind of reinforces my point. There aren't any good WWF Jerry Lawler matches that we can come up with. If this was a match that, on paper, happened on some indy show in West Virginia, I would agree with you. Still, Helms' WWF work has been subpar. Lawler's WWF stuff has been bad, even embarassing for someone that I love the hell out of.

As for the DVDVR guys, for every match they pimp that I love, one of them will throw out a match where I have to ask myself, "What the fuck were they watching?"

Here is Meltzer's write-up on what happened in the main...

I hope Shawn went to church this morning because he's going to need divine intervention to make this a good show. They booed Cena out of the place. He sure came out with an "I'm losing the title face." We'll see if he's a great actor or not in a half hour but he wasn't playing to the crowd at all. Angle even played face the most of anyone so far. Obviously the story of the match is Shawn, starting first and probably going until the end. Angle was by far the crowd favorite and even worked as a face. Crowd hates Cena as he's working heel style. Michaels superkicked and pinned Angle. People were very unhappy about that and now they're dead. Carlito & Masters both pinned Kane after Masters press slammed him. Carlito used his neckbreaker to pin Michaels. Dear God Vince didn't even screw him, he lost on his own. Who is booking this? Cena is left with Carlito and Masters and being booed out of the building. Carlito told Masters to put Cena in the Masterlock. Carlito then gave Masters a low blow and pinned him. Cena schoolboyed Carlito. Cena got a big pop in winning, but Vince came out and mentioned Cena winning and fans booed.

Cena vs. Edge for the WWE title is next. Money in the bank time. 2 spears and a title change in 1:46. Mixed reaction.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Should've kept the belt on Cena. Doing a quick change like that is not the way to work w/ the heel heat Cena's been drawing.

Edge wins the title.

Also, they must love Carlito.  He goes over Shawn clean!! Yes clean!!! and then is the last eliminated. WOW

Not that I'm a huge Carlito fan or anything, but at least it makes more sense to build up that feud than it does Shawn/Vince.

Edge wins? Cashing in his title shot right now ... there are so many flaws in that idea that I don't really know where to start.

I hope not. There's nowhere to go with Edge as champion and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cena win it right back tomorrow night or something equally as lame.

Plus Edge had no buildup for winning the belt. Most of the casual fans probably don't even remember that he was owed a title shot.