Pro Wrestling Only

WWE New Years "Resolution" PPV

Coffey

My problems with it:

(1) Since the Matt Hardy feud ended, Edge has had zero momentum at all. He's not over, he can't cut a promo and he's injured right now yet again.

(2) If Edge is going to win the title, building him up strong with some wins going into the show would have made sense, no? Going over Flair cleanly earlier in the night would be a given, right?

(3) This is right before Wrestlemania, and they're fucking around with short-term title reigns. The only logical thing to do without screwing the title over would be for Edge to hold the belt until Mania when he drops it to former tag team partner Rey Misterio or arch-nemesis Matt Hardy. And the likelihood of either of those things happening is zilch.

(4) Cena is vulnerable right now from a heat perspective, and dropping the title, even for the short-term, is only going to make that worse.

(5) Why are Michaels, Angle, Edge and Carlito being booked to be stronger, smarter, funnier and more resilient than Cena?

I think I'd have less problem with this happening at Wrestlemania than I would have it happening in the build to Wrestlemania. It only makes sense to stabilize the belts when a large part of the hype for the show is a probable title change.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it because the PPV didn't predictably end with Cena "overcoming the odds" and retaining. It was something different and now I don't know what direction WWE is heading in towards Wrestlemania. To me, that's a good thing. I want to be surprised. I didn't want to know that it'd be Cena Vs. HHH for the title.

Hell, halfway through the match I was BEGGING for Carlito to win. Anyone but Cena.

I liked it because the PPV didn't predictably end with Cena "overcoming the odds" and retaining. It was something different and now I don't know what direction WWE is heading in towards Wrestlemania. To me, that's a good thing. I want to be surprised. I didn't want to know that it'd be Cena Vs. HHH for the title.

If the fans wanted unpredictability simply for the sake of unpredictability, WCW would still be in business and Vince Russo would be the most powerful guy in wrestling. The most successful Wrestlemanias in history have always been the ones where the direction is very clear months in advance. Even factoring out the dumb business decisions and looking at it as a fan, Edge as champion offers NOTHING. He's jobbed to any potential challenger he could have except Cena, who isn't going to be cheered chasing a heel for the belt at this point, especially a heel with no heat. Michaels? He's already beaten Edge convincingly. Flair? That's laughable. HHH? The only halfway decent option, but who plays the babyface?

Welcome to 1999-2000 WCW, where no one on top is over, and the ones who are over are over in a way they're not intended to be.

Whatever, I thought it was great. I don't give a fuck about ratings and goddamn buyrates, it entertained me. As a fan, I can't ask for more than that.

As a company, WWE needs to give a fuck about ratings and goddamn buyrates because its what keeps them in business.

(2) If Edge is going to win the title, building him up strong with some wins going into the show would have made sense, no? Going over Flair cleanly earlier in the night would be a given, right?

That would have made him IC champion. The DQ ending was their way of copping out of that i guess.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Whatever, I thought it was great. I don't give a fuck about ratings and goddamn buyrates, it entertained me. As a fan, I can't ask for more than that.

That's the mindset that makes WWE think it's okay to offer a cesspool of a product.

From a booking standpoint, it makes perfect sense. Edge is floundering, winning some and losing some. He's got a title shot he can use at any time, but his chances to use it are dwindling. He sees an opportunity and bang, it works. Whether they build on it is another matter, but every booking and storyline can not follow perfect patterns.

Coffey's right here. What killed WCW was finances, plain and simple. If a fan finds it entertaining, he should not be made fun of, especially someone like Coffey who is not a drooling idiot like you make the average fan out to be. You can be critical, but there are people who nit-pick and scream that everything WWE does reaks of "OMG Death of WCW~!" It doesn't.

Guest savagerulz

They've shot themselves in the foot. 2 months before the biggest PPV of the year and a guy with borderline Jarrett heat has the belt? Good fucking luck.

Guest KingPK

I agree that it was good booking for heel Edge to use his shot when the champion was at his weakest point (immediately after a 30 minute Elimination Chamber match), but the problem *I* have is the fact that it seemed they had completely forgotten about the whole thing and, though it is surprising, I don't really think people will buy Edge as champion, ESPECIALLY going into Wrestlemania. So, if Cena wins it back at the Rumble, the whole Money in the Bank thing would have ended up being a pointless exercise.

Guest Bruiser Chong

What killed WCW was finances, plain and simple.

Which was primarily the result of fat contracts and unover guys in top positions. It's the same thing. Who's going to buy a show where the main attraction features people few people actually want to see?

No one's saying being entertained isn't what's important. It's just shortsighted to strictly think about what you personally find to be entertaining and not the longterm ramifications will be as a result.

Guest Big Papi

So Edge's first act as WWE Champion is to have sex with Lita in the middle of the ring on RAW tommorow.

Seriously. He said it.

Check out his post-ppv interview on wwe.com.

This is going to be interesting...

You know...

If they were going to go this route they should've just had Edge beat Flair for the I.C. Title. It would've given him some form of momentum and you could easily have sold him winning both belts in one night as a big deal.

EDIT: It's also going to be interesting reading the net the next couple of weeks as the thrill of this wears off and the reality of there being nowhere for Edge to go as champion sets in.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Ok, this shit JUST happened so Im not gonna judge the direction jus yet but I will say this:

-Coffy is a wrestling FAN who wanted to be entertained and was intrigued by the aspects of the PPV and The Main Event. No matter how much the IWC or the Smarks or whoever are pissed the WWE marketed this to a certain group of people and if Coffy is any indication then they did so succesfully. I can understand yalls infatuation with buyrates and all that stuff but how many of you complaing (or others complaing) about the outcome they READ actually paid to see the show? How many looked at this thread and said the usual and mightaswellbepatented "Theres a PPV tonight"? Jus because we dont disagree with something that has barely had a chance to set in doesnt mean the WWE isnt doing its job and entertaining a large segment of its fanbase.

-Edge is a great heel character, and prolly the most over one on the show. His pure assholeness for the next couple of months could make an excellent fued against almost any babyface, if they can find the right face and strike while the irons hot....

-What wouldve been a better time to cash in the MITB?

-Would any of the challengers in the Elimination Chamber really have a better choice and WHY?

-Cena is NOT OVER as the top babyface and something had to be done.

-Cena was at his best when he was full of piss and vinegar and ready to fuck with anybody and everybody but a while after his face turn and right before he won the WWE Championship he got real lame real quick. His character needs to regain focus and momentum.

-Why in the hell would anyone compare Edge to Jarret?

-Edge in the main event is something the company has been pushing for a long time. It was now or never. Would yall rather he end up like RVD,Booker, Jericho,Christian and the rest ...

-Can we stop saying the WWE is gonna die anyday now jus like WCW cause thats annoying

You're basically saying the ends justify the means. I guess if WWE can turn his reign into something meaningful it might. Right now it reeks of hotshot booking because the fans were turning on one of WWE's pet projects.

Better to have a champ who's supposed to get a heel reaction than one who isn't but gets one anyway I guess.

Guest bravesfan

With Edge as champ, what happens to Cena? Does HHH get into the title picture before Wrestlemania? Who gets the title shot at Edge at the Rumble, and just exactly who is winning the Rumble if they're already paving the way for Orton and Batista? And if Edge holds the belt until Mania, who's facing him?

I'm liking the booking ideas this title change generates. It is up to the writers to capitalize on any one of them, so I'm going to hold my breath on this.

It is up to the writers to capitalize on any one of them

This is the fatal flaw.

Dismiss me as a smarky smarkerson if you must, but the current crop of WWE writers would fuck things up if 1983 Hogan and 1997 Austin were dropped on their laps.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

The only reason they had the title change was to make up for a shitty card and get the knuckle-dragging schmucks who bought it to say "WOWEE! A TITLE CHANGE!!" and forget all the shit that happened before it. It was a reactionary move, not a strategic one. And since this thread wouldn't have gotten to 2 pages let alone 4, it seems to have worked.

Edge can't face anyone though. Anyone who's a halfway decent contender on Raw has beaten Edge in the last year or so. This is just going to be a hot shot back to Cena or to whoever Trips wants to take the belt from at Mania.

EDIT: Just read Batista might've torn his tricep again so both World Champs are injured.