Pro Wrestling Only

Vince's Plan to Bury TNA

Strummer

from the Observer via DVD message board:

Johnny Ace has been given word from Vince to sign anybody TNA is interested in, even if it is guys that were just released. Some office workers have been told the idea is to sign them with lengthy no-compete clauses, then bury them so bad that by the time they go to TNA, they are damaged goods. Dave says management see this as a pivotal year for TNA, and doesn't want them to become legit competition.

well, I guess we know why they re-signed Haas.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jack D. Ripper

Wow, look at Vincent flexing that genius muscle of his... :rolleyes:

At least this will remove TNA's temptation to sign overpriced over the hill vets for name value.

Guest Jack D. Ripper

I'm sure it is, but it wouldn't have made a difference in either signing. Christian and Sting had no interest in WWE. Well, I think Sting said he'd consider if they hired Luger.

I'd say this is definately a temper tantrum to them getting Sting. It also makes me wonder if maybe he's going to lose the case against Lesnar and is worried that TNA will sign him.

It's a stupid policy. As someone mentioned TNA should just start showing interest in a bunch of people so that the WWF spends itself to death. Vince doesn't have the bottomless pockets like he used to.

Wouldn't the wrestlers smarten up to this plan pretty quickly? I don't get why Haas went back. He should have known that if they really wanted him, they wouldn't have let him go in the first place. I guess maybe TNA didn't have much interest in him either.

Haas had problems with one writer (Dave Lagana), but no one else apparently.

I hate to keep making the WCW comparisons, but keeping a bunch of guys under contract so they can't go anywhere else with no intentions to push them is exactly like WCW.

Dude, this is what I had envisioned you doing with the WCW comparison thread. I was hoping you could make direct comparisons with modern-day WWE with the Death of WCW like this example.

more notes from this week's issue (via DVD message board)

Heyman has signed a short contract extension

Benoit has no plans of leaving WWE

Before his injury, Batista was going to work Henry at RR and Undertaker at No Way Out

Bob Orton Jr. has hepatitis

Kurt Angle has proposed an MMA Invasion storyline to the creative team

Shawn Michaels is apparently hiding an injury

They might make Charlie Haas and Jay Lethal a tag team

The company is shifting its marketing strategy. They are now interested in marketing specific wrestlers and not the company as a whole.

Survivor Series earned roughly 6 million in PPV profit

Brock married Sable (ten year age difference) They live right next to Johnny Ace.

Bret turned down an offer of appearing at Mania and putting Vince in the Sharpshooter

Recent SD! Ratings saw The Dicks match add 40,000 viewers and the Beniot vs Orton match LOSE 40,000 viewers. Kid Kash?s interview on SD! That week lost 500,000 viewers

The Melina sexual harassment storyline is Vince relieving the Rita Chatterton rape case 20 years ago.

Guest Dangerous A

Kurt is trying to negotiate Vince and K-1 to strike up a deal to do shooters vs pro wrestlers with Kurt leading the way, but Vince and Steph are probrably not going to go for it. They don't know how to do an invasion storyline, so getting one to work doing worked shoots wouldnt' work either.

Why the hell would they waste Batista vs Taker at a PPV like NWO?  That should be a big four PPV match.  They should have done it at SummerSlam.

Screw SummerSlam. They should have done it at Mania. The man who has held the title for a full year against the man who has never lost at Mania. It's money in the bank and writes itself.

Strummer, you forgot the best part of that whole thread....

WWE in Mexico is charging $141 for a front row seat that is roughly 5-6 weeks pay for an average Mexican

They're not targeting the average fan for front row. As long as they get the upper class to buy in, they'll sell those tickets.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

I liked this quote:

Shelton?s real mom was turned down for the role because she wasn?t obese and was very well spoken. Vince was mad that Thea was selected as his Mom because he wanted someone even fatter. Thea now wears a fat suit

Guest teke184

The company is shifting its marketing strategy.  They are now interested in marketing specific wrestlers and not the company as a whole.

This is one of the few things that may actually be a smart move... IF they push the right guys.

Ever since Austin, Rock, and Foley left the ring, the WWE hasn't had any guys they can point to as draws...

Well, they have Triple H but there's enough backlash against him that it's a tough sell.

If they can sell guys like Cena and Rey to the general public, they may have the basis to do a long-term revival.

Think back to 1996... no one was really over outside of Bret and HBK.

They let Austin do some stuff that gets him noticed, nurtured him instead of burying him, and within a year and a half of the first step in the process, he's the WWF champion and leading the company's resurgence.

If they let some mid-level guys get over without having to go through the crappy writers and then follow up on it properly, they may have a superstar ready to go by late 2007.

Guest Cam Chaos

Kurt Angle has proposed an MMA Invasion storyline to the creative team

What the hell is this all about?
Likely some piss poor attempt to get himself over a a serious competitor even though he got owned by an amateur in Puder. Trying to have serious competition in a promotion that is not going to condone or benefit it (unlike UWF-I or Battlearts for example) seems like a pointless endeavour.