Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-16-GAEA] Lioness Asuka & Aja Kong vs Mayumi Ozaki & Akira Hokuto

Loss

A match with four legitimate all-time greats is a total shitshow. Not just disappointing, but a total shitshow. Is that a first? Most of that can be placed on the complete lack of rules or structure around this, with referees wearing wrestling gear and seconds interfering liberally and no tags in and out. I'm not opposed to all outside interference on the merits, but I do think there's a way to structure it and this was just a total mess with no rhyme or reason. I hope this is the worst thing we see from GAEA and an outlier instead of what we can expect from now on.

I read that review and thought, man Loss is being harsh, surely it isn't that bad. This IS that bad. I am amazed at the lack of hate, shitty weapon shots, no structure that occurred throughout this match. Just at a total loss of words. GAEA overall is a promotion that I had a ton of hype coming in on these projects. They have had highlights for sure but I haven't gotten the consistent promotion vibe from them yet. Maybe 2000 will provide it, but so far this was my least favorite thing we have seen in 2000 so far. *

GAEA was consistently the most overrated joshi promotion post 1997. And they clearly went down after 1999 when the whole super-heel stable had gone stale. Watch any other, which had more or less zero hype except ARSION a little bit, although by 2000 it was seriously going down, and you can only be pleasantly surprised by good stuff you maybe wouldn't expect (although careful with Zenjo and the Momoe craze in the early 00's). GAEA had a few great moments (the Aja vs Satomura feud, whenever Nagashima was put in a position to shine) and plenty of by-the-number stuff with great veterans mailing it in.

• 1 month later...

I've seen Randy Hales matches in Power Pro wrestling 1998 that had less interference than this. They didn't even wait a minute for the run-ins to start. Just lots of mindless brawling and WCW lack of sense in booking. Speaking of WCW, I could be wrong but was that Sonny Ohno interfering on behalf of Ozaki and Hokoto? I'm 95% sure it was. The hell would he be doing in GAEA in 2000?

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe Sonny Ohno was friends with Hokuto? Didn't he manage her in WCW in '97? Speaking of AH: I didn't realize she was still working in 2000.

This match is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. The only thing I really liked was the way everybody went after Aja Kong at the beginning since they know she's seriously dangerous.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-16-GAEA] Lioness Asuka & Aja Kong vs Mayumi Ozaki & Akira Hokuto
  • 5 months later...

This was like a fever dream but instead of seeing a zebra dive into a pool of skittles or some shit you see some wrestler you don't remember the name of fall flat on her ass and then bring in some broom handle thing. A light tube? A kendo stick? I dunno, by the time I moved in to have a closer look she'd thrown it away because I guess she figured it wasn't useful enough despite having laid out Aja Kong. The match was almost too much of a mess to be an accident, it had to mathematically perfected to be as convoluted and hard-to-follow as possible. It was a big pile of shit as far as quality goes but I'd recommend it just to have the experience.