Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-29-WCW-Saturday Night] La Parka & Silver King vs Villano IV & Villano V

Grimmas

WCW Saturday Night where they would throw out any match just for the heck of it and here we get Parka and Silver King vs Villanos, just days after Villanos were ringside watching his brother murder Atlantis.

A fun start with Villanos destroying Silver King as he was face in peril. Hot tag to La Parka who hit some fun moves, before Silver King and Parka both did some dives. Back in the ring and Silver King is face in peril again A woozy King goes for a double jump moonsault like an idiot and of course misses. A front roll DDT by Villano almost kills King. Parka tags himself in and hits a twisting moonsault for the win.

** 1/2

Setting aside that Parka wasn't tagged in as the legal man when he got the cover at the end, this was the best B-show match we've gotten so far. La Parka has easily been the most visibly over guy, meaning that people are actually standing up and cheering for his offensive moves instead of just sitting on their hands. When people talked about how he used to be over with WCW crowds, I always thought they meant ironically, but no. Not the case. Fun match with four pros who were in a spot beneath them but had a solid match anyway.

• 1 month later...

The Villano’s jump Silver King and La Parka at the bell and V5 catches King with a gorgeous scoop powerslam. He tags in his brother who comes off the top with a knee across Silver King’s chest, and the Villano’s continue to dominate until La Parka is tagged in. Great armdrag headscissors combination on the Villano’s from the apron to inside the ring. Tag to Silver King and a double dropkick to the Villano’s and the tide has changed in the match. The Villano’s step outside for a breather, but no such luck as Silver King and La Parka catch them with a springboard bodypress from the second turnbuckle, and a corkscrew plancha to the floor respectively. Silver King misses a splash in the corner and V4 with an abdominal stretch takedown for a two. Tony Schiavone starts to speculate that if The Mamalukes can become WCW tag team champions, then either Silver King & La Parka or The Villano’s could too. Not too sure on that one Tony! Silver King misses the double springboard moonsault, V5 with a forward rolling DDT but Parka is in there to break up the pin. V4 holds Silver King outside ready for a V5 dive, but when he runs the ropes La Parka catches him with a kick to the back of the head. Parka immediately follows with a twisting leg lariat off the top for the win.

Best WCW Saturday Night match so far. La Parka is in the small bracket of lower/middlecard wrestlers who can actually garner some sort of response from the Saturday Night crowd. I never really appreciated the Villano’s when I was younger, considering them boring, but liked what I saw here.

• 9 months later...

For some reason, I can't help but watch some of these matches with the thought "If there was in charge of a hypothetical number 2 promotion at this point, would I use these guys?" and both teams would be slotted right into my tag division. The Villanos were a no-nonsense heel team here but I dug how everything was simple but logical - isolating Silver King and wearing him down - and I loved one of them pulling King's ponytail during the STF. Great heeling. La Parka, as per, was the highlight; his dive was great, he just oozes charisma and it's obvious why the WCW crowd did take to him. A really effective use of time and a shame that La Parka was gone from WCW shortly after this, I believe.

Also, I'd love a gif of Silver King missing the springboard moonsault and La Parka just shaking his head in disappointment on the apron.

Not sure I see the positives for this at all. I found this rather boring and lacklustre with Villanos on offence. Truth be told, I've not been the highest Villano IV fan but I thought he looked a step below here even. Disjointed offence with some moves changed on the fly. Silver King provides wacky facial reactions as a FIP and La Parka seemingly tags himself in (??) to mercifully end this. Below average.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-29-WCW-Saturday Night] La Parka & Silver King vs Villano IV & Villano V