Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-10-CMLL] Atlantis & Perro Aguayo & Mr Niebla & Rayo de Jalisco Jr vs Villano III & Shocker & Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr

soup23

If the apuestas delivers for me like it has in the past, Villano vs. Atlantis really is one of the all time feuds in wrestling. This was a tremendous final taste before the big battle with the masks getting ripped, hate all around, the Villano Brothers rushing the ring showing their presence will be felt and overall anticipation that next week, this is going to be a war. Add into that Perro stepping into a CMLL ring for the first time in many years and Shocker and Bestia being great heel pricks and this was awesomely enjoyable and had me wanting to jump ahead to the 3/17 show right then and there. ***1/2

• 4 weeks later...

This was amazing as a go home match before the big match. Amazing to think that this is it -- we've seen two months of hype with some insane matches and the moment is almost here. They go for broke the final time out, going more mugging than match to start and never really coming down from that sense of urgency, even when the technicos start getting in some shots of their own. Villano just goes there and takes off Atlantis' mask, getting DQd because fuck it, and leaving Atlantis to cover his face with his hands in humiliation. Atlantis does come back and get the win with the backbreaker in the third fall, but his satisfaction doesn't last long before the other Horsemen Villanos IV and V come through the crowd in street clothes and gang attack Atlantis to make the final point. This feud has been quite the ride, and this match was quite the match. ****

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed what we saw of this. It doesn't get much more emphatic from the rudo side than Villano III pulling off Atlantis' mask while Los Guapos destroy Perro Aguayo Sr. You could feel the WWF influence with the Villano Bros. run-in, but without the pyrotechnics and all of the bells and whistles it really did feel like 1980s Crockett, especially since the Villano Bros appear to shop at the same menswear stores as the Andersons. Honestly speaking, I don't really rate Atlantis as a brawler and I have a problem with how easily he applies the Atlantida at times. He also bounces up and down a bit too much not unlike the overselling he did when he was younger. But I'm expecting the emotion of the mask match to overcome all that. We'll find out shortly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-03-10-CMLL] Atlantis & Perro Aguayo & Mr Niebla & Rayo de Jalisco Jr vs Villano III & Shocker & Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr