Pro Wrestling Only

The 2006 Royal Rumble thread

Guest KingPK

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between Jericho and Angle, however, is that Jericho was not getting cheered until the Summerslam match itself, and the "na na na na" chant did start when he was carted off on RAW, showing that at that moment, people were happy to see him go. Angle was getting cheered over the course of the entire feud with Cena. Jericho was not.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

the "na na na na" chant did start when [Chris Jericho] was carted off on RAW, showing that at that moment, people were happy to see him go.

I can not imagine how much it must've hurt you to type that.

That's the only part that I find shady; why wait until the day of the show to suddenly change things around? I wonder what (or wHHHo) could've caused such a snap decision.

It wasn't a snap decision - I think it was the plan all along. This week's Observer said the plan was for Cena to regain the title and that would have been written 4 days before the Rumble, so the decision was made at least a week before the show. It's just Vince's MO to wait until the absolute last minute to break bad news to his talent.

The difference between Jericho and Angle, however, is that Jericho was not getting cheered until the Summerslam match itself, and the "na na na na" chant did start when he was carted off on RAW, showing that at that moment, people were happy to see him go. Angle was getting cheered over the course of the entire feud with Cena. Jericho was not.

True enough. I'll say that Jericho appealed to a lower percentage of the audience than Angle did.

It's a mixed bag for me with John Cena. I think he had the belt too long and it was time for him to drop the belt. I liked Edge coming out and winning the belt after the Elimination Chamber. The problem I have with it is that it seemingly only happened because WWE went into "panic mode." I think Edge deserves better than that. His big title win should've been a Wrestlemania moment. He deserved a good title reign.

I don't dislike Cena. In fact, I liked the way that he covered the boos he was getting by acknowledging them in promos and saying people can like and dislike what they want. I agree with what Loss said earlier in that a lot of the crowds booed Cena because they heard other people on TV do it. That pretty much is the reason that things have got as bad as they have.

Now, since WWE hotshot the title, WWE are in super-push mode with Cena. Did you see his entrance at the Rumble on Sunday? Holy crap. Talk about over the top. It's painfully obvious, to the point that it's a big flaw, that WWE are behind Cena. It was bad enough watching him "overcome the odds" on Raw every week to keep the title.

All this did is make Edge look terrible, maybe to the point that he's irrepairable and give the crowds more reason to resent John Cena. Edge had the belt for less than a month and then tapped out? C'mon.

Either Cena should've kept the belt the whole time and continued to acknowledge the boos (as opposed to ignoring them and acting like they're not happening) or WWE should've given Edge a fair shot. This, to me, is all worse because Edge cut that "I'm not a transitional champion" promo.

Guest Dangerous A

Thumbs down Royal Rumble and unless there is a quick fix, I think they may have screwed up WM as well.

Placement of matches is a big thing and they put the Rumble match in the middle. Guess Taker needs his magic tricks before we celebrate a guy like Rey winning such a prestigious event. I wonder if HHH were penciled to win the Rumble, would it have gone on last like the last several years? You bet your ass it would have. They took Rey's shine and shoved it up our asses because he is not in the cards on the road to WM.

Both title matches sucked and the less said about the rest of the undercard, the better. They took one of the few good moments of the year and flushed it down the toilet, IMO. Now, based on booking and what 'net guys like Meltzer and Keller are saying, WM looks like..

HBK vs Vince and/or Shane

HHH vs Cena

Angle vs Orton

Henry vs Taker

If that is the card they are building to, I seriously have to consider skipping Mania this year. That lineup is not worth $50.00

Is is some sort of law that Taker has to have the shittiest opponent possible for WM? I mean, I admit Mark Henry's been solid since he's been back, but he's not worthy of a WM match against Taker.

Between Giant Gonzales, Sid, washed-up Jimmy Snuka, let-me-job-so-I-can-go-to-WCW Jake Robers, way-past-his-prime Ric Flair....it seems the only quality opponent he's ever face at WM is Triple H.

Guest savagerulz

Playing the other side, though...Undertaker has been able to pull some great Wrestlemania matches out of (on paper) terrible ones.

I have to say as someone who is going through my Wrestlemania DVDs...this one isn't close (on paper) to being the worst. Beware the hyperbole.