Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-01-03-AJPW] Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta vs Angelo Mosca & Bruiser Brody (2/3 falls)

peachchaos

This match was easily the most mediocre thing I've seen in a while. So mediocre yet servicable it made me wonder how actively great wrestling could come into existance. It's a pretty classic story, foreigners brawl and put the natives in trouble, but Brody and Mosca are deeply uninteresting. And well, Baba and Jumbo won't set your pants on fire here either. Brody assaults Baba with a chain to start, which is not as awesome as it sounds when you picture a bittle between a giant savage and a giant japanese folk hero. Baba chops his way back on offense because that's all he does~! then stays out of the way for most of the match... because he's smart! Jumbo has really nice offense, dropkicks, flying bodyscissors etc. but really doesn't have much fire here as he gets pummeled and bearhugged in uninteresting ways by Brody and Mosca. Mosca is so lame that he wins one fall here with a bodyslam! It wasn't even a good bodyslam! Someone like Moose Morowski would have rocked that bodyslam. Brody does some selling, which reminds me that people criticizing him for no-selling are wrong because his actual selling is so bloody goofy. Eventually Baba comes in and before long blood is spillt~! (without looking grizzly or anything) and we get the trademark bad 80s finish. Yeah when you think of a good old school brawl or title match... this isn't it.

Mosca seemed like a pretty big dud here and he and Brody were terribly uninteresting for large swatches of this. Have to echo all thoughts of this just mostly being there. Nobody seemed to have much fire or kick it into a different gear. They work to a schmozz finish and this was okay for what it was I guess.

**1/2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Agree with most of the earlier comments here. Brody was backing and cowering away for the most part and overall he really personified himself differently than I am accustomed to. Now sure, guzzling up everyone Brody isn't my cup of tea either but this was such a big departure that it was distracting. Mosca had brief glimpses of interest pounding away but overall he didn't do many exciting things throughout the match and it was a pretty big slog getting to the finish. Jumbo does hit a pretty dropkick. Finish was predictably awful. **1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1980-01-03-AJPW] Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta vs Angelo Mosca & Bruiser Brody (2/3 falls)
  • 2 years later...

A match that someone would post in a Facebook group to tell you how old wrestling was Actually Bad and that modern wrestling was far superior. And they would point to some Sanada match to prove their modern point. A classic bit.

Anyway, I actually liked Mosca here in comparison to when Brody was out there. Dude had some force behind his strikes was nice and sold alright! I also found the end to the second fall spectacular as I feel confident that Brody was not supposed to bump so huge for his own shoulder block just so Mosca could take the fall.

The match just didn't have any juice. That's all there is to it. Jumbo looked like he was ready to bring the heat in the third but the heels covered it with a fire blanket.