Pro Wrestling Only

NWA World Wrestling Council February 1986

dawho5

Epic show! The Starrs win the titles. Man the Sports Shop's are going to go up a notch LOL. Insane match with Ayala breaking Madril's leg! The Santana/Hart matches are becoming my favorites. TNT gets a strong win here as do the RPM's. Colon and Brody in yet another wild brawl and oh man Brody, Abdullah and Bam Bam going at it. Wow things are out of control in an awesome way. Excellent job!

Watched that video.

It almost breaks my heart, seeing bad guys really work like bad guys. I miss it so much. Craven, dishonest, cheating, cruel, yet over-confident... not trying in any way to get themselves over as cool or charming in the ring. Making you want, so badly, to see the good guys make them pay the price...

It is very nearly a lot art these days. I guess everyone wants to sell tshirts.

The Starr cousins are so good at being bad. That match should be part of the curriculum at the Training Center.

I caught a cold. Often when I am sick I'll kill time by watching an episode of MST3K on youtube. Today, I watched "It Conquered the World." At the end, Peter Graves has a long and over-serious speech, and I'm thinking, "I've heard that somewhere before..."

Then they play it again (and again) at the end of the show.

"He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature. And because of it the greatest in the universe. He learned too late for himself that men have to find their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside themselves..."
My head almost exploded when I made the connection.

Went out of town Sunday to Thursday and have been playing catch-up since. Next week's should be closer to on time.

(Originally airing in Spanish on WAPA Channel 4 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. This broadcast is translated to English where applicable.)

The opening montage featuring highlights of Carlos Colon, Chicky Starr, Invader 1, Invader 2, Invader 3, Abdullah the Butcher, Hercules Ayala, Bam Bam and Dutch Mantell plays. Carlos Colon doing a cartwheel and coming up fists at the ready leads to the WWC logo as the music ends.

NWA and Capitol Sports Presenta

Los Campeones De La Lucha Libre

Con Tus Luchadores Favoritos De Fama Mundial

Rickin Sanchez and Hugo Savinovich sit smiling at the commentary desk in Coliseo Municipal Pedro Rodriguez Gaya De Catano.

Rickin: Welcome to another great week of WWC action luucha libre fans. THis week we will be talking about the results of last week's show in Guaynabo.

Hugo: So MUCH to talk about!!

Rickin: Indeed there is. We also have the return to Puerto Rico of a team that should shake up the tag team division.

Hugo: Or the entire WWC!

Rickin: That is also possible. I am talking about los Pastores, possibly the most unpredictable team we have seen in years. We will also see Gama Singh and Invader 1 in singles action.

Hugo: Both suffered very close losses last Saturday! Invader 1 has to be very upset after what happened to his partner, Invader 2!

Rickin: Invader 2 will be out for some time after the damage that Ron and Chicky Starr did. We will see Huracan Castillo Jr. and Miguelito Perez in tag team action. Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher will be in action as well.

Hugo: I can't imagine Barrabas is happy with their loss in Guaynabo. He can at least be happy that Bam Bam went toe-to-toe with Abdullah the Butcher for ten minutes!! He didn't take one step back and went right after the Madman from the Sudan!

Rickin: There are very few men who can claim that feat. We will be joined at the desk by RIcky Santana, who suffered yet another difficult loss at the hands of Owen Hart.

Hugo: Owen used that new suplex Ricky has been finishing opponents with to his advantage!!

Rickin: In other words, Owen Hart cheated to win. Blatantly. El Profe will join us at the desk with his client TNT, as will the new NWA WWC Carribean Champion Hercules Ayala.

Hugo: He not only won the title from Al Madril, he broke Al's leg!!

Rickin: He said he would do just that. And after everything Madril has done I'm not sure I disagree with Ayala breaking his leg.

Hugo: Al did ask for it more than a little bit...

Rickin: We will also be showing you footage from Guaynabo, most of which we have already mentioned. Chicky's Sports Shop will feature his cousin Ron this week, no doubt celebrating their success in Guaynabo.

Hugo: It was a good night for them!!

Rickin: Depending how you judge those things, yes. Gama Singh is on his way to the ring. He doesn't seem to be suffering any long-term consequences of the cobra dinamita.

Hugo: El Profe had TNT release the hold quickly after the win.

Rickin: I am still wondering why that happened.

Hugo: Who knows?!? Maybe Profe thinks that TNT has made his point with Gama Singh.

Rickin: I doubt that, but it had crossed my mind that was the case. It has to be pointed out that Gama Singh paying attention to EL Profe was directly responsible for the hold being applied to him.

Hugo: Exactly why it is dangerous to pay too much attention to the manager!! El Profe said as much before the match and he was right. As much as I hate to admit it.

Rickin: I will agree that paying too much attention to any manager will get a man in trouble. Gama Singh has reached the ring and referee Tomas Marin has called for the bell.

Armandito Salgado vs. Gama Singh

Singh uses brawling and technical wrestling to control the match. A series of chops and punches cuts off a Salgado comeback. The camel clutch gets the submisson for Singh.

Gama Singh by submission in 4:10 with a camel clutch

Rickin: Singh needed that win. It puts him on the right track going forward, and if I know Gama Singh he will want another chance at TNT.

Hugo: I wouldn't advise that!!

Rickin: Regardless, I doubt he will just let it go. We will now show you the finish of the first match Ron and Chicky Starr had in Guaynabo as we go to break.

Footage is shown from the time los Mercenarios hit ringside to the finish and post-match injury to Super Medico 2.

(Commercial Break) 0-12:30

Rickin: I am joined now by Ricky Santana. Another tough loss to Owen Hart last Saturday and I don't think there was any question that this time it was intentional.

Santana: None at all. Owen Hart couldn't beat me clean and had to resort to cheating. Again! I'm starting to think the first time was on purpose too.

Rickin: A lot of us are and-

The crowd is booing and a few people throw garbage at Owen Hart as he walks to the desk.

Rickin (English): Now we're going to keep this civil, do you understand me? If you're going to fight you take it to the ring.

Owen: I'm not here to fight. Really.

Santana(English): What do you want??

Owen: I want to apologize. I am headed back home to Canada before next week's show and I have been thinking. I REALLY want to make my father proud. I want my brothers to see that I am on their level as a wrestler.

Santana: And that justifies what you did?!? Claiming I pulled the tights, putting your knee right into my groin to win the match!

Owen: That's just it. It doesn't. I took it too far and I'm sorry. I hope you and these fans can forgive me.

Santana: I fell for this act once already!

Owen: I meant it then and I mean it now. I want to make this right.

Hart puts his hand out to shake with Santana.

Santana: If you want to make it right, clean up your act!

Santana stalks away, leaving Rickin with Hart.

Rickin: My advice to you young man is that actions speak louder than words. If you want to make things right you have to act like it for more than a few minutes at a time.

Hart looks a little insulted and angry before nodding.

Hart: Sounds like something my father might say. I'll think about what happened here and what you said.

The crowd is still on Owen Hart's case as he leaves.

Rickin: I'm not sure I trust Owen Hart's sincerity this time. He seems to revert to underhanded methods when things get difficult.

Hugo: I keep telling you, it's the most efficient way to win a match!

Rickin: I'm sure it is, but it won't win you many friends.

Hugo: That's true, but some people don't care if they have friends!

RIckin: Also true. We see Huracan Castillo Jr and Miguelito Perez on their way to the ring now. The ans are really behind these two second generation wrestlers.

Hugo: They have proven to be tough, resourceful and skillful! And their teamwork is second to none! With a litle more experience they can be a top tag team!

Rickin: I agree completely. Each has the tools to be great and they seem to complement one another well. I'm sure there are short-cuts they could be taking that would get them there faster.

Hugo: There are, but I doubt they will! I may not think it's very smart, but it has worked for some in the past.

Rickin: Most notably, Invader 1 and Carlitos Colon. Two men I'm sure these two have learned a lot from.

Hugo: Having allies is always good! Invader 1 and Carlitos Colon are very strong allies to have.

Rickin: It looks like referee Ricky Vargas is calling for the bell.

Los Tejanos vs Huracan Castillo Jr & Miguelito Perez

Perez and Castillo use their smooth teamwork to control. A big powerslam by Perez stops a comeback by Tejano 2. Tejano struggles to his feet and is caught in el coqui (standing victory roll) by Perez for the three.

Huracan Castillo Jr. & Miguelito Perez by pinfall in 5:16 with a standing victory roll

Rickin: Castillo and Perez needed that win. They have come up just short lately despite giving more experienced teams a run for their money.

Hugo: Like you said, they are still learning!

Rickin: And that can be a very difficult process. I'd say their bad luck is as much manufactured by their opponents with the interference of los Mercenarios as well.

Hugo: Sometimes you make your own luck!

Rickin: There is that way of looking at it. We're now going to show you highlights of Al Madril and Hercules Ayala battling for the Carribean Championship and the aftermath on the way to commercial.

Clips of the ringside brawling and mayhem. Finally showing Madril in the figure four and screaming in pain when Ayala breaks his leg. Clips of Madril being stretchered out.

(Commercial Break) 12:30-26:00

Rickin: Welcome back fans and we now take you to Chicky's Sports Shop.

The Sports Shop intro plays and we cut to the set with Victor the Bodyguard.

Victor (wooden): It is my pleasure to introduce the hottest wrestler and manager in the World Wrestling Council. Ladies and gentlemen, here is the most exciting, most charismatic, best dressed man in Puerto Rico, Chicky Starr.

Chicky Starr strolls in, one of the NWA WWC Carribean Tag Team Championships over his shoulder. He is followed by Ron Starr with the other and they take a seat, both grabbing a microphone.

Chicky: As you can see ladies and gentlemen, my cousin Ron and I have something we didn't a week ago. We are now the Carribean Tag Team Champions! It might surprise you to know that we beat los Invaders for these belts. I know there are many out there who will refuse to believe it. But the best part is what I haven't told you yet. Roll the footage.

Footage is shown of Invader 1 with his mask sideways being beat up by Ron and Chicky. Cut to Chicky pinning Invader 2 with his feet on the ropes, then the bloody post-match beatdown on both Invader 1, 2 and Colon. Cut back to Chicky and Ron grinning from ear to ear.

Chicky(English): Ronnie, that was almost as much fun watching again as it was doing.

Ron: Almost, but it's hard to beat putting Invader 2 out of commission for a while.

Chicky: And putting both Invader 1 and Colon in their place!

Ron: I wonder how they feel about laying face-down in a pool of their own blood while we took apart their buddy Invader 2.

Chicky: Right after we just won the Carribean Tag Team Titles no less! I do have to address what happened to Al though. We couldn't make it out in time to save him from that musclehead idiot Hercules Ayala breaking his leg. Los Invaders kept us from stopping that.

Ron: And what happened to los Invaders because of that?

Chicky: Exactly what everyone just saw! Los Primos Starr do not stand idly by while our friends are hurt! Now we had the opportunity to visit Al in the hospital and he will be back next week. We had a challenge for these newly won belts that we wanted Al to be at ringside for.

Ron: Hercules Ayala and Carlitos Colon seem to think that they are man enough to take these away from us. Your buddies los Invaders, who have teamed together a lot morethan you two, couldn't get the job done.

Chicky: It's sour grapes Ronnie. Colon is mad because we left him laying on the mat in Guaynabo. But los Primos Starr are fighting champions and we will take on all comers. Unlike some in the WWC who jealously guard their gold, we will gladly defend these belts on television next week.

Ron: And if Ayala and Colon are man enough to take these titles from us we will gladly shake their hands.

Chicky: You see, Chicky Starr is a man of the people even if the peope turn their backs on him. You people don't need to love me. Hate me all you want. Just know that I am one half of the best tag team in the WWC! Roll the closing comments!

Ric Flair's outro for Chicky plays as Ron and Chicky exit. Cut to the arena.

Rickin: He conveniently forgot to mention the part if the show that saw him running away from Bruiser Brody.

Hugo: Why spoil the good mood?

Rickin: I imagine that is why. Barrabas is leading Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher to the ring.

Hugo: And ranting at the fans. He seems a little irritated.

Rickin: He really wanted his team to win the tournament nad become the new Caribbean Tag Team Champions.

Hugo: I know how that goes. You can't take it out on your team though!

Rickin: Why do I get the feeling that it might get taken out on MR. X and Y tonight?

Hugo: Because he's having his men rush the ring and attack?!?

Mr. X and Y vs. Jonathan Boyd & the Crusher

Boyd and the Crusher are all over Mr. X and Y with Barrabas driving them on. X and Y get almost no offense in before the Crusher holds Y for a three point stance lariat from Boyd that gets the 3. Boyd and the Crusher continue beating on both X and Y after the match.

Jonathan Boyd and the Crusher by pinfall in 3:47 with an assisted 3 point clothesline

Rickin: It seems Barrabas is taking his frustrations out on Mr. X and Y even after the bell has sounded.

Hugo: Here come Castillo and Perez!!

Rickin: It was before the tournament, but their issue with Boyd and the Crusher has yet to be settled.

Hugo: Looks like they want to settle it here and now!

Rickin: The brawl is on, but we need to go to commercial.

Hugo: FOUL! Perez going downstairs on the Crusher!!

Rickin: When we come back we'll be talking to El Profe and TNT and see los Pastores in thier return to the Island. Don't go anywhere.

(Commercial Break) 26:00-36:00

Rickin: Welcome back fans, I am now joined by El Profe and TNT. Your man TNT didn't look like he was going to need any assistance last Saturday. Why did you feel it was necessary to jump on the apron and get involved in the match?

Profe: I will be the first to tell you that Gama Singh isn't very smart. But the man can fight. If you aren't having success beating a man with skill and technique alone, you look for another advantage.

Rickin: That sounds exactly like something Hugo would say.

Profe: He's smarter than I give him credit for then. Gama Singh showeed himself to be a fierce, tough, but far too straightforward wrestler in Guaynabo. TNT could easily have put on the cobra dinamita in time, we just had better things to do. And I very specifically warned Gama Singh about the consequences of paying too much attention to me. The man is just too thick-headed to listen.

Rickin: I imagine you think that's the last you're going to see of Gama Singh.

Profe: I can hope the man knows when he is beaten. He has felt the cobra dinamita twice, and I was merciful the last time. He should learn when to stay down. I know he doesn't have much of a career left, but he should salvage what he can.

Profe walks away with TNT, the crowd throwing things his way and booing as Rickin returns to the announcer seat.

Rickin: El Profe is in for a surprise if he thinks that will convince Gama Singh to let things end.

Hugo: He made several very good points! As much as it pains me to admit that.

Rickin: It pains both of us. Here come los Pastores with their New Zealand flag.

Hugo: It's the pole you have to watch out for!!

Rickin: This much I know. The fans are letting los Pastores know that they haven't forgotten them.

Hugo: I can't imagine los Assassins want los Pastores angry....

RIckin: There is a difference between them angry and any other mood?

Hugo: I think so, but I think I see what you are saying. Los Assassins don't think much of the flag saluting ceremony los Pastores are putting on.

Rickin: As long as they don't make the mistake of-

Hugo: Trying to stop it?!? That won't go well at all!

Rickin: Now both have been hit with the flagpole and los Pastores are mercilessly attacking Assassin 2 with the flagpole.

Hugo: I think they are going to try to break his arm! Butch is climbing up on the apron while Butch holds out Assassin 2's arm!

Rickin: It's academic from there. They aren't done.

Hugo: Here come Invader 1 & 3!! They have armed themselves with chairs! Butch is down!! Luke is swinging that flagpole like a wildman!!

Rickin: We need to go to commercial fans. We will take you out with brief footage of Bam Bam taking on Abdullah the Butcher.

Bam Bam and Abby cut each other up with the fork and brawl around ringside with both Chicky and Barrabas vacating as they approach in brief clips.

(Commercial Break) 36:00-40:30

RIckin: We were able to get things settled down during the break fans. Hercules Ayala has joined me at the desk. I know you said very clearly that your intent was to break Al Madril's leg, but do you think that perhaps raised the stakes in the battle between Chicky Starr and Carlitos Colon?

Ayala: I'd say that was exactly what happened. We're going to have to be very aware of when our friends are in a position to be attacked. Chicky Starr may be a coward and an opportunist, but he's good at what he does. How do you think he and his cousin ended up with those tag belts?

Rickin: I'd say by being an opportunist. You and Carlitos Colon have challenged the Starr cousins for those belts next week. Why not leave it to Invader 1 and 3, a more experienced tag team?

Ayala: Because Invader 1 has revenge on his mind for what happened to Invader 2. He won't be thinking straight, something I know a little about. Al Madril and Chicky Starr manipulated me when I wanted revenge for Victor Jovica.

Rickin: Speaking of Al Madril, Chicky Starr mentioned that he wanted him at ringside for the match. Does that worry you at all?

Ayala: Yes it does. We both know those two always have some sort of trick planned. Carlitos and I will be wary of Al Madril at ringside and both Starrs, but it will be hard to keep track of all 3.

Rickin: And how is Victor Jovica feeling lately?

Ayala: He's up and moving around. He wants to start training again but we're taking it slow with him this time. We are planning on getting him back to a show so he can thank the fans personally for their kind words after his injury.

RIckin: Have you talked to him since last Saturday?

Ayala: Victor thought I may have gone a little far in breaking Madril's leg, but he didn't seem too sorry about it. He felt that the Carribean Tag Titles should be with los Invaders. Next week we can't put those belts where they belong, but we can make sure they don't belong to the Starrs!

Rickin: That is a sentiment I can appreciate. Thank you for your time Hercules.

Hercules: You're welcome RIckin. Good to be here.

Rickin: It seems as if Hercules Ayala breaking Al Madril's leg was more of a beginning than an end.

Hugo: It can happen that way, yes. Revenge can escalate things just as often as it ends them!

Rickin: It seems like that is exactly what happened. Invader 1 has come out to a roaring crowd.

Hugo: I'm sure Hercules Ayala's comments got them worked up as well!

Rickin: That is very likely. I was told during the last break that Los Pastores were removed from the building. One less thing for Invader 1 to worry about.

Hugo: What about next week?!? And the next?!?

Rickin: I would agree that los invaders picked a bad time to make enemies of los Pastores. But the alternative was standing by and watching while los Pastores injured another man.

Hugo: An alternative I would have taken! Let somebody else get the attention of on of the wildest teams we've ever seen in the WWC!

Rickin: I can see that there is some wisdom in that view. But I don't entirely agree. Referee Victor Quinonez just called for the bell, here we go.

Frank Conners vs. Invader 1

Invader 1 is more aggressive than usual, giving Conners no offense. He puts the American away with the sleeper.

Invader 1 by submission in 3:24 with a sleeper

Hugo: Invader 1 was out to prove a point!

Rickin: I'd say he did. We're almost out of time fans. Be sure to tune in next week, we have a great main event for you.

Hugo: Ayala and Colon will try to take the NWA WWC Carribean Tag Team Championships away from los Primos Starr!

Rickin: We take you out with footage from Guaynabo. Chicky Starr has just lost control of Bruiser Brody during his match with Carlitos Colon.

Brody storms into the tunnel after having his head bashed into the wall by Colon and only to emerge with a piece of security railing and hit Colon with it. He goes on a rampage, chasing Chicky Starr around before Abdullah the Butcher, followed closely by Bam Bam come storming out and a three way brawl ensues.

• 3 weeks later...