Pro Wrestling Only

Brian Pillman DVD Match Listing

Guest Bruiser Chong

Guest Bruiser Chong

I can't find a thread on it and since the match listing seems to be recently released, here we are. I swiped this from someone who swiped it, just to cite my sources.

Bruce Hart & Brian Pillman vs. Midnight Cowboys 4/23/88 for International tag team titles

Pillman vs. Lex Luger 10/28/89 Halloween Havoc

Pillman & Tom Zenk vs. Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin 2/12/90

Pillman & Austin doing "A Flare for the Old" segment on WCW TV

War Games 1991 with Pillman & Sting & Steiners vs. Four Horsemen

Pillman vs. Ricky Morton 10/27/91

Pillman & El Gigante vs. Barry Windham & Arn Anderson 6/12/91 loser leaves town match (Leads to Yellow Dog angle)

Pillman & Windham vs. Johnny Gunn & Zenk 12/26/92

Pillman & Austin vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas 5/23/93

WCW Thundercage with Pillman & Sting & Dustin Rhodes vs. Paul Orndorff & Austin & Rick Rude

Pillman vs. Jushin Liger (First Nitro Match)

Pillman vs. Dean Malenko 1/22/96 Nitro

Pillman vs. Eddie Guerrero 1/23/96 Clash of Champions

Pillman vs. Austin 6/16/97 Raw

Calgary Stampede Hart Foundation vs. Austin & Shamrock & LOD & Goldust 7/6/97

Pillman vs. Goldust 9/7/97

Pillman vs. Liger 2/22/92 SuperBrawl from Milwaukee

Truth be told, I was only familiar with WWF Brian Pillman, so this will be a must-buy for me. I recall the SuperBrawl match with Liger being a terrific opener and I think the War Games match will be enough to justify a purchase for many.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pillman-Luger match is superb; definitely one of Luger's best, and certainly one of Pillman's best. I need to rewatch the set again before deciding what match is the best of the bunch, but this match is definitely up there, as is Will's choice of WarGames (albeit, Sid's blatant calling of spots in the match is hilarious). That match is one of those things that cause you to ask yourself, "What the heck happened to Luger?"

I should mention that I love the look of NWA/WCW back in the late 80s and early 90s. Love the light blue ring mat, and the blue-white-gold ropes (or whatever other colour scheme they would use). It's a really nice visual appearance and easy to watch. Of course, most of the wrestlers in the company at that time didn't hurt either. -_- On top of that, and this has been said often, but that entrance ramp ruled. They had just the right amount of lighting too. It's funny, but the WWE will probably never do a WCW history compilation DVD, but something like this just made me miss WCW that much more. Funny how it works.

Production values were good enough when TBS first purchased the NWA that PPVs still don't look dated 17 years later. Flair had 4 or 5 really phenomenal ring entrances, and so did almost everyone else. They also had a knack that year for picking great music for everyone.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Watched the main feature and a few extras.  Just a few notes; I'm sure I'll have more after watching everything else:

- As usual, the feature's strong, but not something I'm likely to revist in full.  The portion about their childhood never really interests me, but I had been unaware the case for Pillman's gravely voice. 

- I didn't know the Hollywood Blondes were constructed as a JTTS team.  There are a lot of references to politicking leading to the team's demise.  Are they talking about Hogan or others? 

- It's interesting JR notes that an active wrestler with any creative input is a recipe for disaster, considering HHH and all.

- The feature drives home how Vince tried to capitalize on Pillman's death with the widow interview the following night on RAW.  I was a regular viewer during this time and didn't think much of it.  But seeing Vince's announcement at Badd Blood and the interview the next night, back-to-back, just makes it seem like Vince was already thinking about ratings.

- I never fail to cringe when I see Sid drop Pillman on his head in the War Games match.

- The story about Pillman's "masterpiece" was disgusting.

- I didn't know the Hollywood Blondes were constructed as a JTTS team.  There are a lot of references to politicking leading to the team's demise.  Are they talking about Hogan or others?

Ric Flair's return to WCW teaming with Arn Anderson against the Hollywood Blonds at the June '93 Clash drew a low rating, and the Blonds took the blame for it. The idea was to get Austin away from Pillman, thinking that Austin was being wasted in a team that didn't mean anything. I e-mailed Meltzer a while back about this. He said everyone knew breaking them up was a mistake because they were a great team, but the idea to break them up -- Dusty's idea -- was actually just an attempt to make better use of Austin.

This time period has caused some confusion, with some people saying Flair broke up the Blonds, and others saying Flair was grooming Austin for a World title run. Neither is true. Flair was not booking until months after the Blonds were broken up, and there were never any plans constructed by Flair for Austin to win the WCW World title either. Austin's push remained steady in the upper midcard until Hogan came in and Duggan squashed Austin in seconds at Fall Brawl '94.

Austin apparently had the idea to be Hulk Hogan's brother and tag team partner in storylines and start Steve-O-Mania in WCW, but that was turned down. He then ran into trouble as they went into '95. He was scheduled to do a job for Renegade at a TV taping and left the TV taping and I believe flew home. Hulk Hogan and Kevin Sullivan convinced him to come back after promising him that if he put over Renegade, they would re-unite the Hollywood Blonds. Austin took that a step further and even agreed to put over Randy Savage as well. The Blonds reunion never happened, although it was planned at one time.

Austin then got injured and was fired by FedEx, which is pretty legendary by now. Bischoff's side of the story was that his attitude was a problem in WCW, he was injury prone and that he wasn't marketable. History has made Austin's side more prevalent, and I'm not saying I agree at all with Bischoff's assessment of Austin, but it does at least make sense considering the state of WCW and where Austin was in the grand scheme of things at the time.

He has his flaws like everyone else, namely the blind Hogan worship and vendetta against Ric Flair, but yes, he has probably been overly villified. I'm interested in him explaining his relationship with Flair in his book, why Benoit/Jericho/Guerrero et al didn't get main event pushes, why he stuck with Hogan when he stopped drawing, why he allowed Nash to book, why he fired Austin and Waltman by FedEx, why he insisted on unmasking all the luchadores, why he hated tag teams and gave Rick Steiner and Buff Bagwell million dollar contracts ... we've really only heard the other side to all of these stories.

He has his flaws like everyone else, namely the blind Hogan worship and vendetta against Ric Flair, but yes, he has probably been overly villified. I'm interested in him explaining his relationship with Flair in his book, why Benoit/Jericho/Guerrero et al didn't get main event pushes, why he stuck with Hogan when he stopped drawing, why he allowed Nash to book, why he fired Austin and Waltman by FedEx, why he insisted on unmasking all the luchadores, why he hated tag teams and gave Rick Steiner and Buff Bagwell million dollar contracts ... we've really only heard the other side to all of these stories.

Loss, there's a 4 part series on WWE.com where Eric Bishoff is interviewed by JBL about Eric's book. One of the questions he answers is why he allowed Nash to book. I won't ruin it for you here.

I found it funny and interesting that they spent so much time on Brian's encyclopedic knowledge of wrestling when said knowledge is seen as the #1 way to not get or keep a job in the WWE.

In fact, that's one of the most puzzling paradoxes of the company right now. They always stress in DVDs and whatnot how important it is to know the history of the business and respect it, yet if anyone dares to let it be known that they're even a fan they get looked down on as a dumb mark.