Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Most Powerful Families in Wrestling DVD Matchlist

sek69

MID-ATLANTIC WRESTLING - 1/13/82 - BLACK JACK MULLIGAN & BLACK JACK MULLIGAN JR. VS. RICKY HARRIS & JIM NELSON

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING FROM FLORIDA 4/12/76 - BOB ORTON & BOB ORTON JR. VS. JEFF PORTS & ROCKY SMITH

WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING STAR WARS 12/25/81 - KEVIN, DAVID & KERRY VON ERICH VS. WILD BILL IRWIN, CAPTAIN F. DUSEK & TEN GU

NWA STARRCADE - 11/24/83 - GERRY & JACK BRISCO VS. RICKY STEAMBOAT & JAY YOUNGBLOOD

AWA ALL STAR WRESTLING 5/15/88 - GREG GAGNE VS. CURT HENNIG

AWA ALL STAR WRESTLING 9/4/88 - LOS GUERREROS VS. MIKE ENOS, KRUSHER KRUGNOFF & TOM BURTON

NWA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING 3/18/89 - BARRY & KENDALL WINDHAM VS. MICHAEL HAYES & LEX LUGER

SMACKDOWN! - 9/18/03 - EDDIE & CHAVO GUERRERO JR. VS. CHARLIE HAAS & SHELTON BANJAMIN

RAW - 7/14/97 - BRIAN CHRISTOPHER & JERRY LAWLER VS. SCOTT & IVAN PUTSKI

WRESTLEMANIA 13 - 3/23/97 - ROCKY MAIVIA VS. THE SULTAN

ECW HOSTILE CITY SHOWDOWN - 6/24/94 - TERRY & DORY FUNK JR. VS. PUBLIC ENEMY

SUMMERSLAM - 8/21/05 - THE UNDERTAKER VS. RANDY ORTON

MSG - 2/20/89 - THE FABULOUS ROUGEAU BROTHERS VS. THE BUSHWHACKERS

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING - 9/27/77 - PETER MAIVIA & CHIEF JAY STRONGBOW VS. ALI BABA & BARON MIKEL SCICLUNA

SURVIVOR SERIES - 11/24/93 - BRET, OWEN, BRUCE & KEITH HART VS. SHAWN MICHAELS & THREE MASKED KNIGHTS

CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS - 8/28/94 - DUSTIN RHODES & DUSTY RHODES VS. TERRY FUNK & BUNKHOUSE BUCK

Interesting lineup, but it makes me wonder are all the Guerrero Brothers matches they own just jobber matches from the AWA?

Interesting lineup, but it makes me wonder are all the Guerrero Brothers matches they own just jobber matches from the AWA?

That and the Goobledygooker footage.

I don't think WWE has that much Lucha footage in their archives. It makes it odd when they run Latino Legends on WWE 24/7 and all they have is footage from when luchadores made token appearances on American television.

I'd say Hector for sure. You'd think WWE would jump all over the chance to embarrass Crockett by showing him as Lazer Tron. Do a whole "they had a member of a great wrestling family and this is all they could come up with" deal.

Chavo and Hector probably worked more in the US than they did in Mexico, no?

Possibly, but did they team? If not, then they have plenty of solo Eddy and Chavo Classic stuff to choose from. I'm sure they want matches with multiple family members involved.

SURVIVOR SERIES - 11/24/93 - BRET, OWEN, BRUCE & KEITH HART VS. SHAWN MICHAELS & THREE MASKED KNIGHTS

Hmmm...

07/06/97: Bret & Owen Hart, Jim Niedhart, Davey Smith, & Brian Pillman beat Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust, & The Legion of Doom (24:31) when Owen pinned Austin.

Sort of the obvious one.

John

Hmmm...

07/06/97: Bret & Owen Hart, Jim Niedhart, Davey Smith, & Brian Pillman beat Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust, & The Legion of Doom (24:31) when Owen pinned Austin.

Sort of the obvious one.

John

I think the combination of the Canadian Stampede 10-man being on the Pillman DVD, as well as the SurSer 93 match being a neat way to showcase the Hart brothers (rather than a Hart family extension) is the reason this made the grade.

Honestly, I'm glad to see it's there, since I hope they include the early stages of Owen's heel turn.

Chavo and Hector probably worked more in the US than they did in Mexico, no?

Possibly, but did they team? If not, then they have plenty of solo Eddy and Chavo Classic stuff to choose from. I'm sure they want matches with multiple family members involved.

Just to follow up on this, I wasn't thinking about Mid South and how WWE doesn't own that library when I posted this. That's where most of the Guerreros teaming took place (1983-1985 had them pretty heavily featured, and Chavo was pushed as a singles babyface in 1986). As far as tag matches that took place in the WWE video library, most of them are probably in Florida, and I'm not sure how many of those there are. I know they worked there quite a bit in 1984 on and off Mid South runs.

Hector has the Lazer Tron stuff Sek mentioned, and also had a brief WCW run in 1990 or 1991. He then came back and had a totally underrated comeback in 1996-1997 WCW. He had some TV matches against Benoit and Eddy that were very good.

TomK recently mentioned a new Chavo/Fujinami match that surfaced that I'm curious about and want to see. Hector was still pretty good long after his prime. If they wanted to, the Guerreros could probably work the Rock & Roll Express on those NWA indy shows and get in the mix with the MX and Fantastics from time to time. I know I'd be very interested in seeing them against Morton and Gibson in 2007. In NWA Dallas 12 years ago, they were still really good, just a little slower. They may be a lot slower now still, but they sure do know how to work their spots.

I'd say Hector for sure. You'd think WWE would jump all over the chance to embarrass Crockett by showing him as Lazer Tron. Do a whole "they had a member of a great wrestling family and this is all they could come up with" deal.

Wouldn't that be kind of stupid since the only thing they ever used him for was the Gooker?

The Guerreros did a lot of stuff in Texas from what I remember. I know Chavo had a babyface run in SCW and won the tag titles there with Manny Fernandez and also won their Junior title. I don't even know who owns the SCW footage at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the most squash-tastic dvd lineup ever.

The feature's probably the selling point anyway.

I picked this up yesterday (five days before the release date) and it's one of those "fun" DVD sets, much like the Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 80s set or the World's Greatest Wrestling Managers set. Not much in the way of negativity at all. They gloss over the Von Erichs tragedies a bit, but even Kevin says, "Even if it was for only 25 years, I feel lucky to be brothers with those guys for 25 years." They also gloss over things like the deaths in the Harts portion, but afterwards hammer home what the Harts meant to wrestling in Canada, as well as Eddie's passing, but end it with much Guerrero praise.

One of those "feel good" DVDs, to be sure. Designed to bring back lots of good memories. Well planned, too, for if you have a father who was a wrestling fan in the past, it's a solid Father's Day gift.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit I didn't think about it when I watched the DVD, but it was pointed out that the Steiners were a pretty notable omission from the set. Bad feelings from the Scott vs HHH debacle still lingering? I mean they were arguably one of the best teams in the world before Scott completely exploded, they even provided (IMO) the one match that saved WM IX from being a complete mess.

Michaels/Tatanka was just as good. WM IX wasn't that bad of a show. It just lacked an outstanding match and Hulk Hogan's unwillingness to work after the show killed that title change.

There are enough brother combinations in wrestling that I wouldn't quibble about leaving a couple behind. The notable omissions I would note are the Armstrongs (Bullet Bob and sons), the Villanos (understandable), the Roberts (Jake, Grizzly, Sam Houston, best left untouched), the Duseks (way before anyone's time) and the Poffos.

There are enough brother combinations in wrestling that I wouldn't quibble about leaving a couple behind. The notable omissions I would note are the Armstrongs (Bullet Bob and sons), the Villanos (understandable), the Roberts (Jake, Grizzly, Sam Houston, best left untouched), the Duseks (way before anyone's time) and the Poffos.

The ones you listed would be understandable due to footage ownership issues, but pretty much all of the Steiners' best moments were in WCW and WWF which would seem to be a logical inclusion just because it would be easier for them.

Didn't see them on the match list. I'm assuming in the documentary they were covered?

Fitting. You can't have a Most Powerful Families In Wrestling DVD without the most powerful family in wrestling.

Yeah, third family in. It was done quite well actually. Jess McMahon was a big name in boxing in the 1920s, so they span four generations at this point.